OREMUS: 7 June 2011

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Mon Jun 6 21:21:05 GMT 2011

OREMUS for June 7

Blessed are you, Lord God of all creation,
to you be praise and glory for ever.
Your living Word brings light out of darkness
and daily your Spirit renews the face of the earth.
Christ, the true Lamb, his passion accomplished,
has been raised to the right hand of your majesty on high.
The pioneer of our faith has opened the way to heaven
and sends on us your promised Spirit.
Pour upon us the riches of your grace
that we, the first fruits of your new creation,
may bring forth the fruits of the Spirit
and reveal your glory in all the world.

Do not fret yourself because of evildoers;*
 do not be jealous of those who do wrong.
For they shall soon wither like the grass,*
 and like the green grass fade away.
Put your trust in the Lord and do good;*
 dwell in the land and feed on its riches.
Take delight in the Lord,*
 and he shall give you your heart's desire.
Commit your way to the Lord
   and put your trust in him,*
 and he will bring it to pass.
He will make your righteousness as clear as the light*
 and your just dealing as the noonday.
Be still before the Lord*
 and wait patiently for him.
Do not fret yourself over the one who prospers,*
 the one who succeeds in evil schemes.
Refrain from anger, leave rage alone;*
 do not fret yourself; it leads only to evil.
For evildoers shall be cut off,*
 but those who wait upon the Lord
   shall possess the land.
In a little while the wicked shall be no more;*
 you shall search out their place,
   but they will not be there.
But the lowly shall possess the land;*
 they will delight in abundance of peace.
The wicked plot against the righteous*
 and gnash at them with their teeth.
The Lord laughs at the wicked,*
 because he sees that their day will come.
The wicked draw their sword and bend their bow
   to strike down the poor and needy,*
 to slaughter those who are upright in their ways.
Their sword shall go through their own heart,*
 and their bow shall be broken.
The little that the righteous have*
 is better than great riches of the wicked.
For the power of the wicked shall be broken,*
 but the Lord upholds the righteous.
The Lord cares for the lives of the godly,*
 and their inheritance shall last for ever.
They shall not be ashamed in bad times,*
 and in days of famine they shall have enough.
As for the wicked, they shall perish,*
 and the enemies of the Lord,
   like the glory of the meadows, shall vanish;
   they shall vanish like smoke.
The wicked borrow and do not repay,*
 but the righteous are generous in giving.
Those who are blessed by God shall possess the land,*
 but those who are cursed by him shall be destroyed.
Our steps are directed by the Lord;*
 he strengthens those in whose way he delights.
If they stumble, they shall not fall headlong,*
 for the Lord holds them by the hand.
I have been young and now I am old,*
 but never have I seen the righteous forsaken,
   or their children begging bread.
The righteous are always generous in their lending,*
 and their children shall be a blessing.
Turn from evil and do good,*
 and dwell in the land for ever.
For the Lord loves justice;*
 he does not forsake his faithful ones.
They shall be kept safe for ever,*
 but the offspring of the wicked shall be destroyed.
The righteous shall possess the land*
 and dwell in it for ever.
The mouth of the righteous utters wisdom,*
 and their tongue speaks what is right.
The law of their God is in their heart,*
 and their footsteps shall not falter.
The wicked spy on the righteous*
 and seek occasion to kill them.
The Lord will not abandon them to their hand,*
 nor let them be found guilty when brought to trial.
Wait upon the Lord and keep his way;*
 he will raise you up to possess the land,
   and when the wicked are cut off, you will see it.
I have seen the wicked in their arrogance,*
 flourishing like a tree in full leaf.
I went by and, behold, they were not there;*
 I searched for them, but they could not be found.
Mark those who are honest; observe the upright;*
 for there is a future for the peaceable.
Transgressors shall be destroyed, one and all;*
 the future of the wicked is cut off.
But the deliverance of the righteous
   comes from the Lord;*
 he is their stronghold in time of trouble.
The Lord will help them and rescue them;*
 he will rescue them from the wicked and deliver them,
   because they seek refuge in him.

FIRST READING [Job 21]:

Then Job answered:
'Listen carefully to my words,
   and let this be your consolation.
Bear with me, and I will speak;
   then after I have spoken, mock on.
As for me, is my complaint addressed to mortals?
   Why should I not be impatient?
Look at me, and be appalled,
   and lay your hand upon your mouth.
When I think of it I am dismayed,
   and shuddering seizes my flesh.
Why do the wicked live on,
   reach old age, and grow mighty in power?
Their children are established in their presence,
   and their offspring before their eyes.
Their houses are safe from fear,
   and no rod of God is upon them.
Their bull breeds without fail;
   their cow calves and never miscarries.
They send out their little ones like a flock,
   and their children dance around.
They sing to the tambourine and the lyre,
   and rejoice to the sound of the pipe.
They spend their days in prosperity,
   and in peace they go down to Sheol.
They say to God, “Leave us alone!
   We do not desire to know your ways.
What is the Almighty, that we should serve him?
   And what profit do we get if we pray to him?”
Is not their prosperity indeed their own achievement?
   The plans of the wicked are repugnant to me.

'How often is the lamp of the wicked put out?
   How often does calamity come upon them?
   How often does God distribute pains in his anger?
How often are they like straw before the wind,
   and like chaff that the storm carries away?
You say, “God stores up their iniquity for their children.”
   Let it be paid back to them, so that they may know it.
Let their own eyes see their destruction,
   and let them drink of the wrath of the Almighty.
For what do they care for their household after them,
   when the number of their months is cut off?
Will any teach God knowledge,
   seeing that he judges those that are on high?
One dies in full prosperity,
   being wholly at ease and secure,
his loins full of milk
   and the marrow of his bones moist.
Another dies in bitterness of soul,
   never having tasted of good.
They lie down alike in the dust,
   and the worms cover them.

'Oh, I know your thoughts,
   and your schemes to wrong me.
For you say, “Where is the house of the prince?
   Where is the tent in which the wicked lived?”
Have you not asked those who travel the roads,
   and do you not accept their testimony,
that the wicked are spared on the day of calamity,
   and are rescued on the day of wrath?
Who declares their way to their face,
   and who repays them for what they have done?
When they are carried to the grave,
   a watch is kept over their tomb.
The clods of the valley are sweet to them;
   everyone will follow after,
   and those who went before are innumerable.
How then will you comfort me with empty nothings?
   There is nothing left of your answers but falsehood.'

HYMN
Words: Exultet caelum laudibus translated by Richard Mant (1776-1848) and others
Tune: Lasst uns erfreuen, Gonfalon Royal, Rex gloriose

Let all on earth their voices raise, Alleluia
Re-echoing heav'ns triumphant praise Alleluia
To Him, Who gave th' Apostles grace Alleluia
To run on earth their glorious race. Alleluia

Thou, at Whose word they bore the light Alleluia
Of Gospel truth o'er heathen night, Alleluia
To us that heav'nly light impart, Alleluia
To glad our eyes and cheer our heart. Alleluia

Thou, at Whose will to them was given Alleluia
To bind and loose in earth and heaven, Alleluia
Our chains unbind, our sins undo, Alleluia
And in our hearts Thy grace renew. Alleluia

Thou, in Whose might they spake the word Alleluia
Which cured disease and health restored, Alleluia
To us its healing power prolong, Alleluia
Support the weak, confirm the strong. Alleluia

And when the thrones are set on high, Alleluia
And judgement's awful hour draws nigh, Alleluia
Then, Lord, with them pronounce us blest, Alleluia
And take us to Thine endless rest. Alleluia

SECOND READING [Luke 4.14–30]:

Then Jesus, filled with the power of the Spirit, returned to Galilee, and a report about him spread through all the surrounding country. He began to teach in their synagogues and was praised by everyone.

When he came to Nazareth, where he had been brought up, he went to the synagogue on the sabbath day, as was his custom. He stood up to read, and the scroll of the prophet Isaiah was given to him. He unrolled the scroll and found the place where it was written:
'The Spirit of the Lord is upon me,
   because he has anointed me
     to bring good news to the poor.
He has sent me to proclaim release to the captives
   and recovery of sight to the blind,
     to let the oppressed go free,
to proclaim the year of the Lord's favour.'
And he rolled up the scroll, gave it back to the attendant, and sat down. The eyes of all in the synagogue were fixed on him. Then he began to say to them, 'Today this scripture has been fulfilled in your hearing.' All spoke well of him and were amazed at the gracious words that came from his mouth. They said, 'Is not this Joseph's son?' He said to them, 'Doubtless you will quote to me this proverb, “Doctor, cure yourself!” And you will say, “Do here also in your home town the things that we have heard you did at Capernaum.” ' And he said, 'Truly I tell you, no prophet is accepted in the prophet's home town. But the truth is, there were many widows in Israel in the time of Elijah, when the heaven was shut up for three years and six months, and there was a severe famine over all the land; yet Elijah was sent to none of them except to a widow at Zarephath in Sidon. There were also many lepers in Israel in the time of the prophet Elisha, and none of them was cleansed except Naaman the Syrian.' When they heard this, all in the synagogue were filled with rage. They got up, drove him out of the town, and led him to the brow of the hill on which their town was built, so that they might hurl him off the cliff. But he passed through the midst of them and went on his way.

Holy Spirit, Creator,
in the beginning you moved over the waters.
>From your breath all creation drew life.
Without you, life turns to dust.
Come, Holy Spirit!

Holy Spirit, Counselor,
by your inspiration, the prophets spoke and acted in faith.
You clothed them in power to be bearers of your Word.
Come, Holy Spirit!

Holy Spirit, Power,
you came as fire to Jesus( disciples;
you gave them voice before the rulers of this world.
Come, Holy Spirit!

Holy Spirit, Sanctifier,
you created us children of God;
you make us the living temple of your presence;
you intercede within us with sighs too deep for words.
Come, Holy Spirit!

Holy Spirit, Giver of life,
you guide and make holy the church you create;
you give gifts:
the spirit of wisdom and understanding,
the spirit of counsel and fortitude,
the spirit of knowledge and piety,
the spirit of the fear of the Lord,
that the whole creation may become what you want it to be.
Come, Holy Spirit!

True and only Light,
from whom comes every good gift.
Send your Spirit into our lives
with the power of a mighty wind.
Open the horizons of our minds

by the flame of your wisdom.
Loosen our tongues to show your praise,
for only in your Spirit can we voice your words of peace
and acclaim Jesus as Lord. Amen.

Being made one by the power of the Spirit,

God of power,
may the boldness of your Spirit transform us,
may the gentleness of your Spirit lead us,
and may the gifts of your Spirit equip us
to serve and worship you now and always. Amen.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving is adapted from _Common
WorshipServices and Prayers for the Church of England_, material from
which is included in this service is copyright (c) The Archbishops' Council,
2000.

The closing sentence is from in _New Patterns for Worship_, copyright (c) The Archbishops' Council, 2002.