OREMUS: 3 June 2011

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Thu Jun 2 17:00:01 GMT 2011

OREMUS for June 3
The Martyrs of Uganda, 1886 and 1978

Blessed are you, O God of majesty,
and blessed is Jesus Christ, your Son, our Lord,
whom you sent to save us.
He came with healing in his touch
and was wounded for our sins.
He came with mercy in his voice
and was mocked as one despised.
He came with peace in his heart
and met with violence and death.
By your power he broke free from the prison of the tomb,
and at his command the gates of hell were opened.
The one who was dead now lives.
For these and all your wondrous acts, we praise you:
Father, Son, and Holy Spirit:
Blessed be God for ever! Alleluia!

I love you, O Lord my strength,*
 O Lord my stronghold, my crag and my haven.
My God, my rock in whom I put my trust,*
 my shield, the horn of my salvation and my refuge;
   you are worthy of praise.
I will call upon the Lord,*
 and so shall I be saved from my enemies.
The breakers of death rolled over me,*
 and the torrents of oblivion made me afraid.
The cords of hell entangled me,*
 and the snares of death were set for me.
I called upon the Lord in my distress*
 and cried out to my God for help.
He heard my voice from his heavenly dwelling;*
 my cry of anguish came to his ears.
The earth reeled and rocked;*
 the roots of the mountains shook;
   they reeled because of his anger.
Smoke rose from his nostrils
   and a consuming fire out of his mouth;*
 hot burning coals blazed forth from him.
He parted the heavens and came down*
 with a storm cloud under his feet.
He mounted on cherubim and flew;*
 he swooped on the wings of the wind.
He wrapped darkness about him;*
 he made dark waters and thick clouds his pavilion.
>From the brightness of his presence, through the clouds,*
 burst hailstones and coals of fire.
The Lord thundered out of heaven;*
 the Most High uttered his voice.
He loosed his arrows and scattered them;*
 he hurled thunderbolts and routed them.
The beds of the seas were uncovered,
   and the foundations of the world laid bare,*
 at your battle cry, O Lord,
   at the blast of the breath of your nostrils.
He reached down from on high and grasped me;*
 he drew me out of great waters.
He delivered me from my strong enemies
   and from those who hated me;*
 for they were too mighty for me.
They confronted me in the day of my disaster;*
 but the Lord was my support.
He brought me out into an open place;*
 he rescued me because he delighted in me.

The Lord rewarded me because of my righteous dealing;*
 because my hands were clean he rewarded me;
For I have kept the ways of the Lord*
 and have not offended against my God;
For all his judgements are before my eyes,*
 and his decrees I have not put away from me;
For I have been blameless with him*
 and have kept myself from iniquity;
Therefore the Lord rewarded me
   according to my righteous dealing,*
 because of the cleanness of my hands in his sight.
With the faithful you show yourself faithful, O God;*
 with the forthright you show yourself forthright.
With the pure you show yourself pure,*
 but with the crooked you are wily.
You will save a lowly people,*
 but you will humble the haughty eyes.
You, O Lord, are my lamp;*
 my God, you make my darkness bright.
With you I will break down an enclosure;*
 with the help of my God I will scale any wall.
As for God, his ways are perfect;
   the words of the Lord are tried in the fire;*
 he is a shield to all who trust in him.
For who is God, but the Lord?*
 who is the rock, except our God?
It is God who girds me about with strength*
 and makes my way secure.
He makes me sure-footed like a deer*
 and lets me stand firm on the heights.
He trains my hands for battle*
 and my arms for bending even a bow of bronze.
You have given me your shield of victory;*
 your right hand also sustains me;
   your loving care makes me great.
You lengthen my stride beneath me,*
 and my ankles do not give way.
I pursue my enemies and overtake them;*
 I will not turn back till I have destroyed them.
I strike them down and they cannot rise;*
 they fall defeated at my feet.
You have girded me with strength for the battle;*
 you have cast down my adversaries beneath me;
   you have put my enemies to flight.
I destroy those who hate me;
   they cry out, but there is none to help them;*
 they cry to the Lord, but he does not answer.
I beat them small like dust before the wind;*
 I trample them like mud in the streets.
You deliver me from the strife of the peoples;*
 you put me at the head of the nations.
A people I have not known shall serve me;
   no sooner shall they hear than they shall obey me;*
 strangers will cringe before me.
The foreign peoples will lose heart;*
 they shall come trembling out of their strongholds.
The Lord lives! Blessèd is my rock!*
 Exalted is the God of my salvation!
He is the God who gave me victory*
 and cast down the peoples beneath me.
You rescued me from the fury of my enemies;
   you exalted me above those who rose against me;*
 you saved me from my deadly foe;
Therefore will I extol you among the nations, O Lord,*
 and sing praises to your name.
He multiplies the victories of his king;*
 he shows loving-kindness to his anointed,
   to David and his descendants for ever.

FIRST READING [Job 16.1–17.2]:

Then Job answered:
'I have heard many such things;
   miserable comforters are you all.
Have windy words no limit?
   Or what provokes you that you keep on talking?
I also could talk as you do,
   if you were in my place;
I could join words together against you,
   and shake my head at you.
I could encourage you with my mouth,
   and the solace of my lips would assuage your pain.

'If I speak, my pain is not assuaged,
   and if I forbear, how much of it leaves me?
Surely now God has worn me out;
   he has made desolate all my company.
And he has shrivelled me up,
   which is a witness against me;
my leanness has risen up against me,
   and it testifies to my face.
He has torn me in his wrath, and hated me;
   he has gnashed his teeth at me;
   my adversary sharpens his eyes against me.
They have gaped at me with their mouths;
   they have struck me insolently on the cheek;
   they mass themselves together against me.
God gives me up to the ungodly,
   and casts me into the hands of the wicked.
I was at ease, and he broke me in two;
   he seized me by the neck and dashed me to pieces;
he set me up as his target;
   his archers surround me.
He slashes open my kidneys, and shows no mercy;
   he pours out my gall on the ground.
He bursts upon me again and again;
   he rushes at me like a warrior.
I have sewed sackcloth upon my skin,
   and have laid my strength in the dust.
My face is red with weeping,
   and deep darkness is on my eyelids,
though there is no violence in my hands,
   and my prayer is pure.

'O earth, do not cover my blood;
   let my outcry find no resting-place.
Even now, in fact, my witness is in heaven,
   and he that vouches for me is on high.
My friends scorn me;
   my eye pours out tears to God,
that he would maintain the right of a mortal with God,
   as one does for a neighbour.
For when a few years have come,
   I shall go the way from which I shall not return.
My spirit is broken, my days are extinct,
   the grave is ready for me.
Surely there are mockers around me,
   and my eye dwells on their provocation.'

HYMN
Words: Anonymous
Tune: Bromley

Come, Holy Spirit, calm our minds,
And fit us to approach our God;
Remove each vain, each worldly thought,
And lead us to thy blest abode.

Impress upon our wandering hearts
The love that Christ to sinners bore;
Help us to look on him we pierced,
And our redeeming God adore.

A brighter faith and hope impart,
And let us now thy glory see;
O soothe and cheer each burdened heart,
And bid our spirits rest in thee.

SECOND READING [2 Timothy 4]:

In the presence of God and of Christ Jesus, who is to judge the living and the dead, and in view of his appearing and his kingdom, I solemnly urge you: proclaim the message; be persistent whether the time is favourable or unfavourable; convince, rebuke, and encourage, with the utmost patience in teaching. For the time is coming when people will not put up with sound doctrine, but having itching ears, they will accumulate for themselves teachers to suit their own desires, and will turn away from listening to the truth and wander away to myths. As for you, always be sober, endure suffering, do the work of an evangelist, carry out your ministry fully.

As for me, I am already being poured out as a libation, and the time of my departure has come. I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. From now on there is reserved for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, will give to me on that day, and not only to me but also to all who have longed for his appearing.

Do your best to come to me soon, for Demas, in love with this present world, has deserted me and gone to Thessalonica; Crescens has gone to Galatia, Titus to Dalmatia. Only Luke is with me. Get Mark and bring him with you, for he is useful in my ministry. I have sent Tychicus to Ephesus. When you come, bring the cloak that I left with Carpus at Troas, also the books, and above all the parchments. Alexander the coppersmith did me great harm; the Lord will pay him back for his deeds. You also must beware of him, for he strongly opposed our message.

At my first defence no one came to my support, but all deserted me. May it not be counted against them! But the Lord stood by me and gave me strength, so that through me the message might be fully proclaimed and all the Gentiles might hear it. So I was rescued from the lion’s mouth. The Lord will rescue me from every evil attack and save me for his heavenly kingdom. To him be the glory for ever and ever. Amen.

Greet Prisca and Aquila, and the household of Onesiphorus. Erastus remained in Corinth; Trophimus I left ill in Miletus. Do your best to come before winter. Eubulus sends greetings to you, as do Pudens and Linus and Claudia and all the brothers and sisters.

The Lord be with your spirit. Grace be with you.

To Christ, the Lamb who was slain,
and who now lives in the glory of the Father,
let us raise the voice of praise, saying:
Lord, have mercy.

Lord Jesus, you are the Amen, the faithful witness,
the first of God's creation:
Lord, have mercy

You are Alpha and Omega,
the one who is, and was, and who is to come:
Lord, have mercy

You search into the thoughts and affections
of all people:
Lord, have mercy

You reprove and chasten
those whom you love:
Lord, have mercy

You open the eyes of the blind
and set the prisoners free:
Lord, have mercy

In your paschal victory,
you have proclaimed the coming of the kingdom:
Lord, have mercy

Jesus Christ, you left your disciples, only that you might send the Holy Spirit to be our advocate: Grant us the Spirit of truth to convince the world that you are risen from the dead, and live and reign with the Father and the Holy Spirit, one God, now and forever. Amen.

O God,
by the blood of Christian martyrs
you planted in the heart of Uganda
the seed of a strong and living Church:
may we who cherish their remembrance before you
be valiant in our witness
against the terrors of unjust rulers
and remain steadfast in the love
by which you bind us to yourself;
through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Rejoicing in God's new creation,

As Christ burst forth from the tomb,
may new life burst forth from us
and show itself in acts of love and healing to a hurting world. Amen.

The opening prayer is reprinted by permission from _The Worship Sourcebook_, (c) 2004 CRC Publications. The collect is from _Prayers for an Inclusive Church_.

Mwanga, the ruler of Uganda in 1886, wanted boys for his bed and when all the Christian pages began to refuse his advances, he had them put to death. They included Catholics and Anglicans. On their way to the place of execution, these young Christians sang hymns in honour of the Lord and some were still singing when the flames surrounded them. Barely a century later, the peoples of the land were persecuted by a tyrant who put many of the Christian leaders and followers of Christ to death. Anglicans and Roman Catholics unite on this day to remember those who witnessed in Uganda for Christ, even unto death. [Exciting Holiness]