OREMUS: 31 July 2011

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sat Jul 30 17:00:01 GMT 2011

OREMUS for July 31
Joseph of Arimathea

Blessed are you, great Creator,
optimist and agitator,
we approach you with cautious thanksgiving,
knowing that true gratitude musters action.
We thank you for your wild, windy Spirit
and its undiscriminating taste in neighbors,
for ugly pain transformed into new beginnings,
for surprising revelation born of blessing.
For these and all your ways, we praise you,

 you seamonsters and all deeps;

 and a twoedged sword in their hand;

Praise him with the blast of the ram'shorn;*
 praise him with loudclanging cymbals.

FIRST READING [Haggai 1.1–11]:

In the second year of King Darius, in the sixth month, on the first day of the month, the word of the Lord came by the prophet Haggai to Zerubbabel son of Shealtiel, governor of Judah, and to Joshua son of Jehozadak, the high priest: Thus says the Lord of hosts: These people say the time has not yet come to rebuild the Lord’s house. Then the word of the Lord came by the prophet Haggai, saying: Is it a time for you yourselves to live in your panelled houses, while this house lies in ruins? Now therefore, thus says the Lord of hosts: Consider how you have fared. You have sown much, and harvested little; you eat, but you never have enough; you drink, but you never have your fill; you clothe yourselves, but no one is warm; and you that earn wages earn wages to put them into a bag with holes.

Thus says the Lord of hosts: Consider how you have fared. Go up to the hills and bring wood and build the house, so that I may take pleasure in it and be honoured, says the Lord. You have looked for much, and, lo, it came to little; and when you brought it home, I blew it away. Why? says the Lord of hosts. Because my house lies in ruins, while all of you hurry off to your own houses. Therefore the heavens above you have withheld the dew, and the earth has withheld its produce. And I have called for a drought on the land and the hills, on the grain, the new wine, the oil, on what the soil produces, on human beings and animals, and on all their labours.

HYMN
Words: Benjamin Schmolck (1672-1737) translated Henry W Baker (1821-1877)
Tune: Cassel (77 77 77)

What our Father does is well;
Blessèd truth His children tell!
Though He send, for plenty, want,
Though the harvest-store be scant,
Yet we rest upon His love,
Seeking better things above.

What our Father does is well;
Shall the wilful heart rebel?
If a blessing He withhold
In the field, or in the fold,
Is it not Himself to be
All our store eternally?

What our Father does is well;
May the thought within us dwell;
Though nor milk nor honey flow
In our barren Canaan now,
God can save us in our need,
God can bless us, God can feed.

Therefore unto Him we raise
Hymns of glory, songs of praise;
To the Father, and the Son,
And the Spirit, Three in One,
Honour, might, and glory be
Now, and through eternity.
SECOND READING [Mark 2.13–22]:

Jesus went out again beside the lake; the whole crowd gathered around him, and he taught them. As he was walking along, he saw Levi son of Alphaeus sitting at the tax booth, and he said to him, 'Follow me.' And he got up and followed him.

And as he sat at dinner in Levi's house, many tax-collectors and sinners were also sitting with Jesus and his disciples—for there were many who followed him. When the scribes of the Pharisees saw that he was eating with sinners and tax-collectors, they said to his disciples, 'Why does he eat with tax-collectors and sinners?' When Jesus heard this, he said to them, 'Those who are well have no need of a physician, but those who are sick; I have come to call not the righteous but sinners.'

Now John's disciples and the Pharisees were fasting; and people came and said to him, 'Why do John's disciples and the disciples of the Pharisees fast, but your disciples do not fast?' Jesus said to them, 'The wedding-guests cannot fast while the bridegroom is with them, can they? As long as they have the bridegroom with them, they cannot fast. The days will come when the bridegroom is taken away from them, and then they will fast on that day.

'No one sews a piece of unshrunk cloth on an old cloak; otherwise, the patch pulls away from it, the new from the old, and a worse tear is made. And no one puts new wine into old wineskins; otherwise, the wine will burst the skins, and the wine is lost, and so are the skins; but one puts new wine into fresh wineskins.'

Great and wonderful God, we praise and thank you for the
gift of renewal in Jesus Christ. Especially we thank you
for
     opportunities for rest and recreation...
                         (We thank you, Lord.)
     the regenerating gifts of the Holy Spirit...
     activities shared by young and old...
     fun and laughter...
     every service that proclaims your love...

You make all things new, O God, and we offer our prayers
for the renewal of the whole world and the healing of its
wounds. Especially we pray for
     those who have no leisure...
                         (Lord, hear our prayer.)
     people enslaved by addictions...
     those who entertain and enlighten...
     those confronted with temptation...
     the church in North America...

Glorious God,
your generosity waters the world with goodness,
and you cover creation with abundance:
Awaken in us a hunger for the food
that satisfies both body and spirit,
and with this food fill all the starving world;
through your Son, Jesus Christ,
our Savior and Lord. Amen.

Merciful God,
whose servant Joseph of Arimathea
with reverence and godly fear
prepared the body of our Lord and Savior for burial,
and laid it in his own tomb:
Grant to us, your faithful people,
grace and courage to love and serve Jesus
with sincere devotion all the days of our life;

Do not live by bread alone,
but by every word that comes from the mouth of God. Amen.

The opening prayer is adapted from a text by Connie Braun Epp. The first collect is from _Evangelical Lutheran Worship_, (c) 2006 Evangelical Lutheran Church in America. The second collect is from _The Proper for the Lesser Feasts and
Fasts_, 3rd edition, (c) 1980 The Church Pension Fund. The closing sentence is Matthew 4:4

The Gospels tell us that after the death of Jesus, Joseph of Arimathaea,
wealthy, a member of the Council, asked Pilate for the body of Jesus, and
buried it with honor in the tomb he had intended for himself. This is our only
information about him from writers of his own century. [James Kiefer]