OREMUS: 28 July 2011

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Wed Jul 27 18:19:41 GMT 2011

OREMUS for July 28
Brooke Foss Westcott, Bishop of Durham, Teacher of the Faith, 1901

most majestic, most motherly,
our strength and our song:
You show us a vision of the tree of life
with fruits for all
and leaves that heal the nations.
Blessed be God forever!

Lord, remember David*
 and all the hardships he endured;
How he swore an oath to the Lord*
 and vowed a vow to the Mighty One of Jacob:
'I will not come under the roof of my house,*
 nor climb up into my bed;
'I will not allow my eyes to sleep,*
 nor let my eyelids slumber;
'Until I find a place for the Lord,*
 a dwelling for the Mighty One of Jacob.'
'The Ark! We heard it was in Ephrathah;*
 we found it in the fields of Jearim.
'Let us go to God's dwelling place;*
 let us fall upon our knees before his footstool.'
Arise, O Lord, into your restingplace,*
 you and the ark of your strength.
Let your priests be clothed with righteousness;*
 let your faithful people sing with joy.
For your servant David's sake,*
 do not turn away the face of your anointed.
The Lord has sworn an oath to David;*
 in truth, he will not break it:
'A son, the fruit of your body*
 will I set upon your throne.
'If your children keep my covenant
   and my testimonies that I shall teach them,*
 their children will sit upon your throne for evermore.'
For the Lord has chosen Zion,*
 he has desired her for his habitation:
'This shall be my restingplace for ever;*
 here will I dwell, for I delight in her.
'I will surely bless her provisions,*
 and satisfy her poor with bread.
'I will clothe her priests with salvation,*
 and her faithful people will rejoice and sing.
'There will I make the horn of David flourish;*
 I have prepared a lamp for my anointed.
As for his enemies, I will clothe them with shame;*
 but as for him, his crown will shine.(

Psalm 133

O how good and pleasant it is,*
 when a family lives together in unity!
It is like fine oil upon the head*
 that runs down upon the beard,
Upon the beard of Aaron,*
 and runs down upon the collar of his robe.
It is like the dew of Hermon*
 that falls upon the hills of Zion.
For there the Lord has ordained the blessing:*
 life for evermore.

Psalm 134

Behold now, bless the Lord,
   all you servants of the Lord,*
 you that stand by night in the house of the Lord.
Lift up your hands in the holy place
   and bless the Lord;*
 the Lord who made heaven and earth
   bless you out of Zion.

FIRST READING [Habakkuk 1.12–2.5]:

Are you not from of old,
   O Lord my God, my Holy One?
   You shall not die.
O Lord, you have marked them for judgement;
   and you, O Rock, have established them for punishment.
Your eyes are too pure to behold evil,
   and you cannot look on wrongdoing;
why do you look on the treacherous,
   and are silent when the wicked swallow
   those more righteous than they?
You have made people like the fish of the sea,
   like crawling things that have no ruler.

The enemy brings all of them up with a hook;
   he drags them out with his net,
he gathers them in his seine;
   so he rejoices and exults.
Therefore he sacrifices to his net
   and makes offerings to his seine;
for by them his portion is lavish,
   and his food is rich.
Is he then to keep on emptying his net,
   and destroying nations without mercy?
I will stand at my watch-post,
   and station myself on the rampart;
I will keep watch to see what he will say to me,
   and what he will answer concerning my complaint.
Then the Lord answered me and said:
Write the vision;
   make it plain on tablets,
   so that a runner may read it.
For there is still a vision for the appointed time;
   it speaks of the end, and does not lie.
If it seems to tarry, wait for it;
   it will surely come, it will not delay.
Look at the proud!
   Their spirit is not right in them,
   but the righteous live by their faith.
Moreover, wealth is treacherous;
   the arrogant do not endure.
They open their throats wide as Sheol;
   like Death they never have enough.
They gather all nations for themselves,
   and collect all peoples as their own.

HYMN
Words: Isaac Watts (1674-1748)
Tune: Azmon, Crediton, Jackson, Kilmarnock, Martyrdom, University, Richmond

I'm not ashamed to own my Lord,
or to defend his cause;
maintain the honour of his word,
the glory of his cross.

Jesus, my Lord-I know his name,
his name is all I trust;
nor will he put my soul to shame,
nor let my hope be lost.

Firm as his throne his promise stands,
and he can well secure
what I've committed to his hands,
till the decisive hour.

Then will he own my worthless name
before his Father's face;
and in the New Jerusalem
appoint my soul a place.

SECOND READING [Mark 1.21–28]:

They went to Capernaum; and when the sabbath came, he entered the synagogue and taught. They were astounded at his teaching, for he taught them as one having authority, and not as the scribes. Just then there was in their synagogue a man with an unclean spirit, and he cried out, 'What have you to do with us, Jesus of Nazareth? Have you come to destroy us? I know who you are, the Holy One of God.' But Jesus rebuked him, saying, 'Be silent, and come out of him!' And the unclean spirit, throwing him into convulsions and crying with a loud voice, came out of him. They were all amazed, and they kept on asking one another, 'What is this? A new teaching—with authority! He commands even the unclean spirits, and they obey him.' At once his fame began to spread throughout the surrounding region of Galilee.

O God our Salvation, you are near to all who call:
hear and answer our prayers.

You are a refuge for the oppressed;
be our stronghold in troubled times.

You stand at the right hand of the needy;
rescue all who are wrongfully condemned.

You raise the poor from the dust;
restore dignity to those who seek refuge.

You give food to the hungry;
uphold the cause of the destitute.

You watch over those who wander and sustain the widow;
provide protection in the face of danger.

You heal the brokenhearted;
bind up the wounds of all who suffer.

You call us to be your Church,
send us out to do your will in the world.

You are a mighty God who loves justice;
establish your equity for all people.

Praise be to you, O Lord;
you hear and answer our prayers.

O Lord God,
in whom we live and move and have our being,
open our eyes that we may behold thy presence ever with us.
Draw our hearts to you with the power of your love.
Teach us to be anxious for nothing,
and when we have done what you give us to do,
help us, O God our Saviour, to leave all things to your wisdom.
Take from us all doubt and mistrust.
May our hearts dwell with you for ever,
and make us know that all things are possible
through Jesus our Redeemer. Amen.

Sovereign God,
we have come to your kingdom,
surrounded by the multitude of angels and saints
who work for us and work for you, our Lord.
We remember especially your servant Brooke Foss Westcott,
who taught us to overcome the barriers which hinder us
and the differences which we dare not conceal,
that we may enter into that deeper-lying bond
of righteousness, peace and joy
which unites us all in your Son, Jesus Christ our Lord,
who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit

Grant that by loving you
we may daily become more like you. Amen.

The opening prayer from _Evangelical Lutheran Worship_, (c) 2006 Evangelical Lutheran Church in America.

The first collect and closing sentence are by Brooke Foss Westcott (adapted) and the second collect is by Stephen T. Benner, based on writings of Westcott.

Born in 1825, Westcott was first ordained and then became a master at
Harrow School. Whilst there, he published a series of scholarly works on the
Bible, his expertise eventually leading to his election as Regius Professor of
Divinity at the University of Cambridge in 1870. With Fenton Hort and J B
Lightfoot, he led a revival in British biblical studies and theology. He became
influential too in the field of Anglican social thought and was significant in the
founding of the Clergy Training School in Cambridge (later renamed Westcott
House in his memory). In 1890, he was consecrated Bishop of Durham, where
he died on this day in 1901. [Exciting Holiness]