OREMUS: 22 July 2011

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Thu Jul 21 17:00:00 GMT 2011

OREMUS for July 22
Saint Mary Magdalene

Blessed are you, gentle and tender God,
for your saint Mary Magdalen,
whom you gave the courage to love
and follow your Son to the cross.
Seeking her Teacher after his death,
so great was her longing
that you made her the first
to behold him, risen from the dead,
and the first to announce
that the Lord had risen to new and glorious life.
For this example of faith and hope,
we praise you, Father, Son and Holy Spirit:

 and his mercy endures for ever.
Let all those whom the Lord has redeemed proclaim*
 that he redeemed them from the hand of the foe.
He gathered them out of the lands;*
 from the east and from the west,
   from the north and from the south.
Some wandered in desert wastes;*
 they found no way to a city where they might dwell.
They were hungry and thirsty;*
 their spirits languished within them.
Then they cried to the Lord in their trouble,*
 and he delivered them from their distress.
He put their feet on a straight path*
 to go to a city where they might dwell.
Let them give thanks to the Lord for his mercy*
 and the wonders he does for his children.
For he satisfies the thirsty*
 and fills the hungry with good things.
Some sat in darkness and deep gloom,*
 bound fast in misery and iron;
Because they rebelled against the words of God*
 and despised the counsel of the Most High.
So he humbled their spirits with hard labour;*
 they stumbled and there was none to help.
Then they cried to the Lord in their trouble,*
 and he delivered them from their distress.
He led them out of darkness and deep gloom*
 and broke their bonds asunder.
Let them give thanks to the Lord for his mercy*
 and the wonders he does for his children.
For he shatters the doors of bronze*
 and breaks in two the iron bars.
Some were fools and took to rebellious ways;*
 they were afflicted because of their sins.
They abhorred all manner of food*
 and drew near to death's door.
Then they cried to the Lord in their trouble,*
 and he delivered them from their distress.
He sent forth his word and healed them*
 and saved them from the grave.
Let them give thanks to the Lord for his mercy*
 and the wonders he does for his children.
Let them offer a sacrifice of thanksgiving*
 and tell of his acts with shouts of joy.
Some went down to the sea in ships*
 and plied their trade in deep waters;
They beheld the works of the Lord*
 and his wonders in the deep.
Then he spoke and a stormy wind arose,*
 which tossed high the waves of the sea.
They mounted up to the heavens
   and fell back to the depths;*
 their hearts melted because of their peril.
They reeled and staggered like drunkards*
 and were at their wits' end.
Then they cried to the Lord in their trouble,*
 and he delivered them from their distress.
He stilled the storm to a whisper*
 and quieted the waves of the sea.
Then were they glad because of the calm,*
 and he brought them
   to the harbour they were bound for.
Let them give thanks to the Lord for his mercy*
 and the wonders he does for his children.
Let them exalt him in the congregation of the people*
 and praise him in the council of the elders.
The Lord changed rivers into deserts,*
 and watersprings into thirsty ground,
A fruitful land into salt flats,*
 because of the wickedness of those who dwell there.
He changed deserts into pools of water*
 and dry land into watersprings.
He settled the hungry there,*
 and they founded a city to dwell in.
They sowed fields and planted vineyards,*
 and brought in a fruitful harvest.
He blessed them, so that they increased greatly;*
 he did not let their herds decrease.
Yet when they were diminished and brought low,*
 through stress of adversity and sorrow,
He lifted up the poor out of misery*
 and multiplied their families like flocks of sheep.
He pours contempt on princes*
 and makes them wander in trackless wastes.
The upright will see this and rejoice,*
 but all wickedness will shut its mouth.
Whoever is wise will ponder these things,*
 and consider well the mercies of the Lord.

FIRST READING [Micah 4.1-10]:

In days to come
   the mountain of the Lord’s house
shall be established as the highest of the mountains,
   and shall be raised up above the hills.
Peoples shall stream to it,
   and many nations shall come and say:
‘Come, let us go up to the mountain of the Lord,
   to the house of the God of Jacob;
that he may teach us his ways
   and that we may walk in his paths.’
For out of Zion shall go forth instruction,
   and the word of the Lord from Jerusalem.
He shall judge between many peoples,
   and shall arbitrate between strong nations far away;
they shall beat their swords into ploughshares,
   and their spears into pruning-hooks;
nation shall not lift up sword against nation,
   neither shall they learn war any more;
but they shall all sit under their own vines and under their own fig trees,
   and no one shall make them afraid;
   for the mouth of the Lord of hosts has spoken.

For all the peoples walk,
   each in the name of its god,
but we will walk in the name of the Lord our God
   for ever and ever.

On that day, says the Lord,
   I will assemble the lame
and gather those who have been driven away,
   and those whom I have afflicted.
The lame I will make the remnant,
   and those who were cast off, a strong nation;
and the Lord will reign over them in Mount Zion
   now and for evermore.

And you, O tower of the flock,
   hill of daughter Zion,
to you it shall come,
   the former dominion shall come,
   the sovereignty of daughter Jerusalem.

Now why do you cry aloud?
   Is there no king in you?
Has your counsellor perished,
   that pangs have seized you like a woman in labour?
Writhe and groan, O daughter Zion,
   like a woman in labour;
for now you shall go forth from the city
   and camp in the open country;
   you shall go to Babylon.
There you shall be rescued,
   there the Lord will redeem you
   from the hands of your enemies.

HYMN
Words: Jan Struther
Tune: Pisgah (87 87 D)

Unto Mary, demon-haunted,
With unholy dreams distraught,
By her neighbours mocked and taunted,
Christ his healing wisdom brought.
Banish, Lord, our minds' confusion,
Fear and fever drive away;
Down the valleys of illusion
Spread the kindly light of day.

Mary then, with faith unswerving,
Shared her saviour's tireless days,
Thankfully her master serving,
Helping him in humble ways.
Grant, O Lord, that we may never
Grow too proud for simple things;
Let us bring to all endeavour
Hands unwearied, heart that sings.

Unto her, who saw them sunder
Valiant soul from tortured frame,
First appeared the risen wonder,
First the quickened Jesus came.
Lord, when time from us has taken
Earthly joys and earthly friends,
Let our lonely hearts awaken
To the joy that never ends.

SECOND READING [John 20:1-2,11-18]:

Early on the first day of the week, while it was still
dark, Mary Magdalene came to the tomb and saw that the
stone had been removed from the tomb. So she ran and went
to Simon Peter and the other disciple, the one whom Jesus
loved, and said to them, 'They have taken the Lord out of
the tomb, and we do not know where they have laid
him.'
But Mary stood weeping outside the tomb. As she wept, she
bent over to look into the tomb; and she saw two angels
in white, sitting where the body of Jesus had been lying,
one at the head and the other at the feet. They said to
her, 'Woman, why are you weeping?' She said to them,
'They have taken away my Lord, and I do not know where
they have laid him.' When she had said this, she turned
round and saw Jesus standing there, but she did not know
that it was Jesus. Jesus said to her, 'Woman, why are you
weeping? For whom are you looking?' Supposing him to be
the gardener, she said to him, 'Sir, if you have carried
him away, tell me where you have laid him, and I will
take him away.' Jesus said to her, 'Mary!' She turned and
said to him in Hebrew, 'Rabbouni!' (which means Teacher).
Jesus said to her, 'Do not hold on to me, because I have
not yet ascended to the Father. But go to my brothers and
say to them, "I am ascending to my Father and your
Father, to my God and your God." ' Mary Magdalene went
and announced to the disciples, 'I have seen the Lord';
and she told them that he had said these things to her.

Almighty and merciful God, we give you thanks
that Mary Magdalene found healing in her encounter
with the risen Christ.

Give wholeness and peace to all those in need: the sick,
the unloved and the forgotten, the poor and the hungry,
the dying and the bereaved.

Lord, in your mercy, hear our prayer.

Grant us the persistent faith of Mary Magdalen
and the surprised belief of Peter and John:

Lord, in your mercy, hear our prayer.

Guide all your baptized people who struggle to know
and to do your will in the kingdoms of this world,
that by their lives we may show forth the new life in
Christ to all nation.

Lord, in your mercy, hear our prayer.

Send your grace on your Church, that it may live the great commission:
proclaiming the gospel in community, Eucharist, and servanthood ministry.

Lord, in your mercy, hear our prayer.

God, our beloved,
grant that as Mary Magdalen
heard her name spoken by the risen Christ,
so also we may listen for you
to speak our name and raise us up in faith;
then shall we give you thanks,
our help, our joy and our God,
through Jesus Christ,
who is one with you and the Holy Spirit,
for ever and ever.  Amen.

Fill us with persevering love, like Mary's,
and remain faithful to Christ, our risen Master. Amen.

The collect and closing sentence are based on prayers by Alan Griffiths.

All four gospels give Mary Magdalene a unique place among Jesus' followers. Probably from Magdala by the Sea of Galilee, she is described as having been healed by Jesus before accompanying him during his ministry. Along with other faithful women, she stayed beside the cross during the crucifixion and was the first disciple to discover the empty tomb on Easter morning. She was privileged with the first appearance of the risen Lord, who sent her to take the good news of the resurrection to the other disciples. This commission earned her the title 'Apostle to the Apostles' in the early Church. [Exciting Holiness]