OREMUS: 31 January 2011

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sun Jan 30 17:00:00 GMT 2011

OREMUS for January 31

God of faithful surprises,
throughout the ages
you have made known your love and power
in unexpected ways and places.
You renew your people that we may perceive
the joy and wonder of your abiding presence
and offer our lives in gratitude for our redemption.
Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.

 you seamonsters and all deeps;

 and a twoedged sword in their hand;

Praise him with the blast of the ram'shorn;*
 praise him with loudclanging cymbals.

FIRST READING [Zechariah 10:1—11:3]:

Ask rain from the Lord
   in the season of the spring rain,
from the Lord who makes the storm-clouds,
   who gives showers of rain to you,
   the vegetation in the field to everyone.
For the teraphim utter nonsense,
   and the diviners see lies;
the dreamers tell false dreams,
   and give empty consolation.
Therefore the people wander like sheep;
   they suffer for lack of a shepherd.

My anger is hot against the shepherds,
   and I will punish the leaders;
for the Lord of hosts cares for his flock, the house of Judah,
   and will make them like his proud warhorse.
Out of them shall come the cornerstone,
   out of them the tent-peg,
out of them the battle-bow,
   out of them every commander.
Together they shall be like warriors in battle,
   trampling the foe in the mud of the streets;
they shall fight, for the Lord is with them,
   and they shall put to shame the riders on horses.

I will strengthen the house of Judah,
   and I will save the house of Joseph.
I will bring them back because I have compassion on them,
   and they shall be as though I had not rejected them;
   for I am the Lord their God and I will answer them.
Then the people of Ephraim shall become like warriors,
   and their hearts shall be glad as with wine.
Their children shall see it and rejoice,
   their hearts shall exult in the Lord.

I will signal for them and gather them in,
   for I have redeemed them,
   and they shall be as numerous as they were before.
Though I scattered them among the nations,
   yet in far countries they shall remember me,
   and they shall rear their children and return.
I will bring them home from the land of Egypt,
   and gather them from Assyria;
I will bring them to the land of Gilead and to Lebanon,
   until there is no room for them.
They shall pass through the sea of distress,
   and the waves of the sea shall be struck down,
   and all the depths of the Nile dried up.
The pride of Assyria shall be laid low,
   and the sceptre of Egypt shall depart.
I will make them strong in the Lord,
   and they shall walk in his name,
says the Lord.
Open your doors, O Lebanon,
   so that fire may devour your cedars!
Wail, O cypress, for the cedar has fallen,
   for the glorious trees are ruined!
Wail, oaks of Bashan,
   for the thick forest has been felled!
Listen, the wail of the shepherds,
   for their glory is despoiled!
Listen, the roar of the lions,
   for the thickets of the Jordan are destroyed!

HYMN
Words: Richard Mant (1776-1848)
Tune: Laus Deo, Sharon

Bright the vision that delighted
once the sight of Judah's seer;
sweet the countless tongues united
to entrance the prophet's ear.

Round the Lord in glory seated
cherubim and seraphim
filled his temple, and repeated
each to each the alternate hymn:

'Lord, thy glory fills the heaven;
earth is with its fulness stored;
unto thee be glory given,
holy, holy, holy, Lord.'

Heaven is still with glory ringing,
earth takes up the angels' cry,
'Holy, holy, holy,' singing,
'Lord of hosts, the Lord most high.'

With his seraph train before him,
with his holy Church below,
thus unite we to adore him,
bid we thus our anthem flow:

'Lord, thy glory fills the heaven;
earth is with its fulness stored;
unto thee be glory given,
holy, holy, holy, Lord.'

SECOND READING [2 Timothy 3:1–18]:

You must understand this, that in the last days distressing times will come. For people will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boasters, arrogant, abusive, disobedient to their parents, ungrateful, unholy, inhuman, implacable, slanderers, profligates, brutes, haters of good, treacherous, reckless, swollen with conceit, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God, holding to the outward form of godliness but denying its power. Avoid them! For among them are those who make their way into households and captivate silly women, overwhelmed by their sins and swayed by all kinds of desires, who are always being instructed and can never arrive at a knowledge of the truth. As Jannes and Jambres opposed Moses, so these people, of corrupt mind and counterfeit faith, also oppose the truth. But they will not make much progress, because, as in the case of those two men, their folly will become plain to everyone.

Now you have observed my teaching, my conduct, my aim in life, my faith, my patience, my love, my steadfastness, my persecutions, and my suffering the things that happened to me in Antioch, Iconium, and Lystra. What persecutions I endured! Yet the Lord rescued me from all of them. Indeed, all who want to live a godly life in Christ Jesus will be persecuted. But wicked people and impostors will go from bad to worse, deceiving others and being deceived. But as for you, continue in what you have learned and firmly believed, knowing from whom you learned it, and how from childhood you have known the sacred writings that are able to instruct you for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus. All scripture is inspired by God and is useful for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, so that everyone who belongs to God may be proficient, equipped for every good work.

you bring your chosen people together in one communion,
in the body of your Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.
We rejoice in your light and your peace
for your whole Church in heaven and on earth.
Lord of mercy:
Lord, hear us.

Give to all who mourn a sure confidence in your loving care,
that we may cast all our sorrow on you,
and know the consolation of your love.
Lord of mercy:
Lord, hear us.

Give your faithful people pardon and peace,
that we may be cleansed from all our sins,
and serve you with a quiet mind.

Lord of mercy:
Lord, hear us.

Give us strength to meet the days ahead
in the joyful expectation of eternal life with those you love.
Lord of mercy:
Lord, hear us.

Give to us who are still in our pilgrimage,
and who walk as yet by faith,
your Holy Spirit to lead us
in holiness and righteousness all our days.
Lord of mercy:
Lord, hear us.

May all who have been made one with Christ
in his death and in his resurrection
die to sin and rise to newness of life.
Lord of mercy:
Lord, hear us.

Lord God, King of the Universe,
you show the bright glory of your reign
in acts of mercy and enduring love:
raise the spirits of the downcast
and restore those who have fallen away,
that your Church may continually sing of your saving help;

Open our imaginations to new dimensions of your love,
and heal us of all that severs us from you and one another;