OREMUS: 20 February 2011

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sat Feb 19 17:17:50 GMT 2011

OREMUS for February 20
William Grant Broughton, First Bishop of Australia, 1853

Blessed are you, holy God,
holy and mighty,
holy and immortal:
you formed the earth from chaos;
you encircled the globe with air;
you created fire for warmth and light;
you nourish the lands with water.

Bless the Lord, O my soul;*
 O Lord my God, how excellent is your greatness!
   you are clothed with majesty and splendour.
You wrap yourself with light as with a cloak*
 and spread out the heavens like a curtain.
You lay the beams of your chambers
   in the waters above;*
 you make the clouds your chariot;
   you ride on the wings of the wind.
You make the winds your messengers*
 and flames of fire your servants.
You have set the earth upon its foundations,*
 so that it never shall move at any time.
You covered it with the deep as with a mantle;*
 the waters stood higher than the mountains.
At your rebuke they fled;*
 at the voice of your thunder they hastened away.
They went up into the hills
   and down to the valleys beneath,*
 to the places you had appointed for them.
You set the limits that they should not pass;*
 they shall not again cover the earth.
You send the springs into the valleys;*
 they flow between the mountains.
All the beasts of the field drink their fill from them,*
 and the wild asses quench their thirst.
Beside them the birds of the air make their nests*
 and sing among the branches.
You water the mountains from your dwelling on high;*
 the earth is fully satisfied by the fruit of your works.
You make grass grow for flocks and herds*
 and plants to serve us all;
That they may bring forth food from the earth,*
 and wine to gladden our hearts,
Oil to make a cheerful countenance,*
 and bread to strengthen the heart.
The trees of the Lord are full of sap,*
 the cedars of Lebanon which he planted,
In which the birds build their nests,*
 and in whose tops the stork makes his dwelling.
The high hills are a refuge for the mountain goats,*
 and the stony cliffs for the rock badgers.
You appointed the moon to mark the seasons,*
 and the sun knows the time of its setting.
You make darkness that it may be night,*
 in which all the beasts of the forest prowl.
The lions roar after their prey*
 and seek their food from God.
The sun rises and they slip away*
 and lay themselves down in their dens.
The labourer goes forth to work*
 and to toil until the evening.
O Lord, how manifold are your works!*
 in wisdom you have made them all;
   the earth is full of your creatures.
Yonder is the great and wide sea
   with its living things too many to number,*
 creatures both small and great.
There move the ships,
   and there is that Leviathan,*
 which you have made for the sport of it.
All of them look to you*
 to give them their food in due season.
You give it to them, they gather it;*
 you open your hand and they are filled with good things.
You hide your face and they are terrified;*
 you take away their breath
   and they die and return to their dust.
You send forth your Spirit and they are created;*
 and so you renew the face of the earth.
May the glory of the Lord endure for ever;*
 may the Lord rejoice in all his works.
He looks at the earth and it trembles;*
 he touches the mountains and they smoke.
I will sing to the Lord as long as I live;*
 I will praise my God while I have my being.
May these words of mine please him;*
 I will rejoice in the Lord.
Let sinners be consumed out of the earth,*
 and the wicked be no more.
Bless the Lord, O my soul.*
 Alleluia!

FIRST READING [Micah 3:9-4:5]:

Hear this, you rulers of the house of Jacob
   and chiefs of the house of Israel,
who abhor justice
   and pervert all equity,
who build Zion with blood
   and Jerusalem with wrong!
Its rulers give judgement for a bribe,
   its priests teach for a price,
   its prophets give oracles for money;
yet they lean upon the Lord and say,
   ‘Surely the Lord is with us!
   No harm shall come upon us.’
Therefore because of you
   Zion shall be ploughed as a field;
Jerusalem shall become a heap of ruins,
   and the mountain of the house a wooded height.
In days to come
   the mountain of the Lord’s house
shall be established as the highest of the mountains,
   and shall be raised up above the hills.
Peoples shall stream to it,
   and many nations shall come and say:
‘Come, let us go up to the mountain of the Lord,
   to the house of the God of Jacob;
that he may teach us his ways
   and that we may walk in his paths.’
For out of Zion shall go forth instruction,
   and the word of the Lord from Jerusalem.
He shall judge between many peoples,
   and shall arbitrate between strong nations far away;
they shall beat their swords into ploughshares,
   and their spears into pruning-hooks;
nation shall not lift up sword against nation,
   neither shall they learn war any more;
but they shall all sit under their own vines and under their own fig trees,
   and no one shall make them afraid;
   for the mouth of the Lord of hosts has spoken.

For all the peoples walk,
   each in the name of its god,
but we will walk in the name of the Lord our God
   for ever and ever.

HYMN
Words: Scottish Translations and Paraphrases (1745), Michael Bruce (1746-1767)
Tune: Glasgow, Manchester, Southwark

Behold, the mountain of the Lord
in latter days shall rise,
on mountain-tops, above the hills,
and draw the wondering eyes.

To this the joyful nations round,
all tribes and tongues, shall flow;
up to the hill of God, they'll say,
and to his house, we'll go.

The beam that shines from Zion's hill
shall lighten every land;
the King who reigns in Salem's towers
shall all the world command.

Among the nations he shall judge;
his judgements truth shall guide;
his sceptre shall protect the just,
and quell the sinner's pride.

No strife shall vex Messiah's reign
or mar the peaceful years;
to ploughshares men shall beat their swords,
to pruning-hooks their spears.

No longer hosts, encountering hosts,
shall crowds of slain deplore;
they hang the trumpet in the hall,
and study war no more.

Come then, O come, from every land
to worship at his shrine;
and, walking in the light of God,
with holy beauties shine.

SECOND READING [John 7:1–13]:

After this Jesus went about in Galilee. He did not wish to go about in Judea because the Jews were looking for an opportunity to kill him. Now the Jewish festival of Booths was near. So his brothers said to him, 'Leave here and go to Judea so that your disciples also may see the works you are doing; for no one who wants to be widely known acts in secret. If you do these things, show yourself to the world.' (For not even his brothers believed in him.) Jesus said to them, 'My time has not yet come, but your time is always here. The world cannot hate you, but it hates me because I testify against it that its works are evil. Go to the festival yourselves. I am not going to this festival, for my time has not yet fully come.' After saying this, he remained in Galilee.

But after his brothers had gone to the festival, then he also went, not publicly but as it were in secret. The Jews were looking for him at the festival and saying, 'Where is he?' And there was considerable complaining about him among the crowds. While some were saying, 'He is a good man', others were saying, 'No, he is deceiving the crowd.' Yet no one would speak openly about him for fear of the Jews.

in silence
you watched,
you waited,
you yearned

    until your heart
    could break no more

so you came to us . . .

in a stable
where no one noticed you;

by a well
where you welcomed the outsider;

on a hillside
where you fed hungry souls;

on a cross
when you died for us

        in love,
        you came to us.

in silence
we watch,
we wait, we yearn.

        come, Lord Jesus,
        that we might rejoice
        once again.
        Amen.

Eternal light, shine in our hearts.
Eternal wisdom, scatter the darkness of our ignorance.
Eternal compassion, have mercy on us.
Turn us to seek your face,
and enable us to reflect your goodness,
through Jesus Christ our Savior and Lord.  Amen.

Everlasting God,
your messengers have carried the Good News of Christ
to the ends of the earth:
grant that we who remember William Grant Broughton
and the builders of your Church in Australia
may know the truth of the Gospel in our hearts
and build upon the foundations they have laid;
through Jesus Christ our Lord,
who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit

By your Spirit renew us in your covenant of love,
and train us to care tenderly for all our neighbors. Amen.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving, the collect, and the closing sentence are from _Evangelical Lutheran Worship_, (c) 2006 Evangelical Lutheran Church in America.

The prayer is (c) Thom M. Shuman and is used with permission.

The second collect is adapted from a prayer in _A Prayer Book for
Australia_, (c) 1995, The Anglican Church of Australia Trust
Corporation.

When the English first settled Australia in the eighteenth century, they
established churches under the authority of the Bishop of London. Over the
next two centuries the Anglican Church of Australia gradually moved towards
independence from England. In 1814, responsibility for British subjects in
Australia passed from the Bishop of London to the new Bishop of Calcutta,
and in 1836 Australia was recognized as a diocese with its own bishop, William
Grant Broughton. With this new recognition of the diocese of Australia came a
time of great religious expansion and church building. By 1847 this expansion
had become so great that Australia was split into separate dioceses of Sydney,
Melbourne, Adelaide, and Newcastle, each with their own bishops. Broughton
was named the first Bishop of Sydney. As Australia's population and church
grew, new dioceses continued to be formed. Five provinces of the church were
established, each containing several dioceses.