OREMUS: 18 February 2011

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Thu Feb 17 17:00:01 GMT 2011

OREMUS for February 18

Blessed are you, God, living and true,
dwelling in light inaccessible
from before time and forever.
Fountain of life and source of all goodness,
you made all things and fill them with your blessing;
you created them to rejoice
in the splendor of your radiance.

http://www.oremus.org/lentocan.html

Psalm 93

The Lord is king; he has put on splendid apparel;*
 the Lord has put on his apparel
   and girded himself with strength.
He has made the whole world so sure*
 that it cannot be moved;
Ever since the world began,
   your throne has been established;*
 you are from everlasting.
The waters have lifted up, O Lord,
   the waters have lifted up their voice;*
 the waters have lifted up their pounding waves.
Mightier than the sound of many waters,
   mightier than the breakers of the sea,*
 mightier is the Lord who dwells on high.
Your testimonies are very sure,*
 and holiness adorns your house, O Lord,
   for ever and for evermore.

Psalm 94

O Lord God of vengeance,*
 O God of vengeance, show yourself.
Rise up, O Judge of the world;*
 give the arrogant their just deserts.
How long shall the wicked, O Lord,*
 how long shall the wicked triumph?
They bluster in their insolence;*
 all evildoers are full of boasting.
They crush your people, O Lord,*
 and afflict your chosen nation.
They murder the widow and the stranger*
 and put the orphans to death.
Yet they say, 'The Lord does not see,*
 the God of Jacob takes no notice.'
Consider well, you dullards among the people;*
 when will you fools understand?
He that planted the ear, does he not hear?*
 he that formed the eye, does he not see?
He who admonishes the nations, will he not punish?*
 he who teaches all the world, has he no knowledge?
The Lord knows our human thoughts;*
 how like a puff of wind they are.
Happy are they whom you instruct, O Lord!*
 whom you teach out of your law;
To give them rest in evil days,*
 until a pit is dug for the wicked.
For the Lord will not abandon his people,*
 nor will he forsake his own.
For judgement will again be just,*
 and all the true of heart will follow it.
Who rose up for me against the wicked?*
 who took my part against the evildoers?
If the Lord had not come to my help,*
 I should soon have dwelt in the land of silence.
As often as I said, 'My foot has slipped',*
 your love, O Lord, upheld me.
When many cares fill my mind,*
 your consolations cheer my soul.
Can a corrupt tribunal have any part with you,*
 one which frames evil into law?
They conspire against the life of the just*
 and condemn the innocent to death.
But the Lord has become my stronghold,*
 and my God the rock of my trust.
He will turn their wickedness back upon them
   and destroy them in their own malice;*
 the Lord our God will destroy them.

FIRST READING [Micah 2:1-13]:

Alas for those who devise wickedness
   and evil deeds on their beds!
When the morning dawns, they perform it,
   because it is in their power.
They covet fields, and seize them;
   houses, and take them away;
they oppress householder and house,
   people and their inheritance.
Therefore, thus says the Lord:
Now, I am devising against this family an evil
   from which you cannot remove your necks;
and you shall not walk haughtily,
   for it will be an evil time.
On that day they shall take up a taunt-song against you,
   and wail with bitter lamentation,
and say, ‘We are utterly ruined;
   the Lord alters the inheritance of my people;
how he removes it from me!
   Among our captors he parcels out our fields.’
Therefore you will have no one to cast the line by lot
   in the assembly of the Lord.

‘Do not preach’—thus they preach—
   ‘one should not preach of such things;
   disgrace will not overtake us.’
Should this be said, O house of Jacob?
   Is the Lord’s patience exhausted?
   Are these his doings?
Do not my words do good
   to one who walks uprightly?
But you rise up against my people as an enemy;
   you strip the robe from the peaceful,
from those who pass by trustingly
   with no thought of war.
The women of my people you drive out
   from their pleasant houses;
from their young children you take away
   my glory for ever.
Arise and go;
   for this is no place to rest,
because of uncleanness that destroys
   with a grievous destruction.
If someone were to go about uttering empty falsehoods,
   saying, ‘I will preach to you of wine and strong drink’,
   such a one would be the preacher for this people!

I will surely gather all of you, O Jacob,
   I will gather the survivors of Israel;
I will set them together
   like sheep in a fold,
like a flock in its pasture;
   it will resound with people.
The one who breaks out will go up before them;
   they will break through and pass the gate,
   going out by it.
Their king will pass on before them,
   the Lord at their head.

HYMN
Words: Charles Wesley (1707-1788)
Meter: 66 66 88 (Suggested: Croft's 136th, Darwall's 148th, Christchurch, Old 136th)

Ye ransomed souls draw near
The throne of Christ, your Lord,
And wait till He appear
According to His word;
Rejoice in hope, rejoice with me;
We shall from all our sins be free.

In God we put our trust:
If we our sins confess,
Faithful is He, and just
>From all unrighteousness
To cleanse us all, that gladly we
May soon from all our sins be free.

The word of God is sure,
And never can remove;
We shall in heart be pure,
And perfected in love.
Rejoice in hope, and claim with me
That Christ from all our sins sets free.

Then let us gladly bring
Our sacrifice of praise,
Let us give thanks and sing,
And glory in His grace;
Rejoice in hope, rejoice with me;
We now from all our sins are free.

SECOND READING [John 6:22–40]:

The next day the crowd that had stayed on the other side of the lake saw that there had been only one boat there. They also saw that Jesus had not got into the boat with his disciples, but that his disciples had gone away alone. Then some boats from Tiberias came near the place where they had eaten the bread after the Lord had given thanks. So when the crowd saw that neither Jesus nor his disciples were there, they themselves got into the boats and went to Capernaum looking for Jesus.

When they found him on the other side of the lake, they said to him, 'Rabbi, when did you come here?' Jesus answered them, 'Very truly, I tell you, you are looking for me, not because you saw signs, but because you ate your fill of the loaves. Do not work for the food that perishes, but for the food that endures for eternal life, which the Son of Man will give you. For it is on him that God the Father has set his seal.' Then they said to him, 'What must we do to perform the works of God?' Jesus answered them, 'This is the work of God, that you believe in him whom he has sent.' So they said to him, 'What sign are you going to give us then, so that we may see it and believe you? What work are you performing? Our ancestors ate the manna in the wilderness; as it is written, “He gave them bread from heaven to eat.” ' Then Jesus said to them, 'Very truly, I tell you, it was not Moses who gave you the bread from heaven, but it is my Father who gives you the true bread from heaven. For the bread of God is that which comes down from heaven and gives life to the world.' They said to him, 'Sir, give us this bread always.'

Jesus said to them, 'I am the bread of life. Whoever comes to me will never be hungry, and whoever believes in me will never be thirsty. But I said to you that you have seen me and yet do not believe. Everything that the Father gives me will come to me, and anyone who comes to me I will never drive away; for I have come down from heaven, not to do my own will, but the will of him who sent me. And this is the will of him who sent me, that I should lose nothing of all that he has given me, but raise it up on the last day. This is indeed the will of my Father, that all who see the Son and believe in him may have eternal life; and I will raise them up on the last day.'

Lord, open a path for your Word
To declare the mystery of Christ.

Turn now, O God of hosts;
Behold and tend the vine you have planted.

May your people rejoice and sing,
And your ministers be clothed with salvation.

May they stand and feed your flock
In the strength of your name.

Keep from trouble all those who trust in you
And forget not the poor for ever.

Have mercy, O Lord, upon us,
As we have put our hope in you.

Inspire our actions, Lord,
sustain them and grant them success;
so that in you may be found
the beginning and the end
of everything we undertake.
We ask this through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

May the God of peace
make us holy in every way
and keep our whole being--
spirit, soul, and body--
free from every fault
at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. Amen.

prayers in _Book of Common Worship_, (c) 1993 Westminster
/ John Knox Press.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving is adapted from Eucharistic Prayer D, The Book of Common Prayer According to the Use of The Episcopal Church_. The closing sentence is 1 Thessalonians 5:23, adapted.