OREMUS: 16 February 2011

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Tue Feb 15 17:00:01 GMT 2011

OREMUS for February 16

Blessed are you, gracious and loving God,
you created the heavens and the earth
and all that is in them.
You made us in your own image;
and in countless ways you show us your mercy.
Blessed are you, Father, Son, Holy Spirit:

God takes his stand in the council of heaven;*
 he gives judgement in the midst of the gods:
'How long will you judge unjustly,*
 and show favour to the wicked?
'Save the weak and the orphan;*
 defend the humble and needy;
'Rescue the weak and the poor;*
 deliver them from the power of the wicked.
'They do not know, neither do they understand;
   they go about in darkness;*
 all the foundations of the earth are shaken.
'Now I say to you, "You are gods,*
 and all of you children of the Most High;
'"Nevertheless, you shall die like mortals,*
 and fall like any prince."'
Arise, O God, and rule the earth,*
 for you shall take all nations for your own.

Psalm 83:1-8, 18

O God, do not be silent;*
 do not keep still nor hold your peace, O God;
For your enemies are in tumult,*
 and those who hate you have lifted up their heads.
They take secret counsel against your people*
 and plot against those whom you protect.
They have said,
   'Come, let us wipe them out from among the nations;*
 let the name of Israel be remembered no more.'
They have conspired together;*
 they have made an alliance against you:
The tents of Edom and the Ishmaelites,*
 the Moabites and the Hagarenes;
Gebal and Ammon and Amalek,*
 the Philistines and those who dwell in Tyre.
The Assyrians also have joined them,*
 and have come to help the people of Lot.
Let them know that you, whose name is Yahweh,*
 you alone are the Most High over all the earth.

Psalm 84

How dear to me is your dwelling, O Lord of hosts!*
 My soul has a desire and longing
   for the courts of the Lord;
   my heart and my flesh rejoice in the living God.
The sparrow has found her a house
   and the swallow a nest
   where she may lay her young;*
 by the side of your altars, O Lord of hosts,
   my King and my God.
Happy are they who dwell in your house!*
 they will always be praising you.
Happy are the people whose strength is in you!*
 whose hearts are set on the pilgrims' way.
Those who go through the desolate valley
   will find it a place of springs,*
 for the early rains have covered it with pools of water.
They will climb from height to height,*
 and the God of gods will reveal himself in Zion.
Lord God of hosts, hear my prayer;*
 hearken, O God of Jacob.
Behold our defender, O God;*
 and look upon the face of your anointed.
For one day in your courts
   is better than a thousand in my own room,*
 and to stand at the threshold of the house of my God
   than to dwell in the tents of the wicked.
For the Lord God is both sun and shield;*
 he will give grace and glory;
No good thing will the Lord withhold*
 from those who walk with integrity.
O Lord of hosts,*
 happy are they who put their trust in you!

Psalm 85

You have been gracious to your land, O Lord,*
 you have restored the good fortune of Jacob.
You have forgiven the iniquity of your people*
 and blotted out all their sins.
You have withdrawn all your fury*
 and turned yourself from your wrathful indignation.
Restore us then, O God our Saviour;*
 let your anger depart from us.
Will you be displeased with us for ever?*
 will you prolong your anger from age to age?
Will you not give us life again,*
 that your people may rejoice in you?
Show us your mercy, O Lord,*
 and grant us your salvation.
I will listen to what the Lord God is saying,*
 for he is speaking peace to his faithful people
   and to those who turn their hearts to him.
Truly, his salvation is very near to those who fear him,*
 that his glory may dwell in our land.
Mercy and truth have met together;*
 righteousness and peace have kissed each other.
Truth shall spring up from the earth,*
 and righteousness shall look down from heaven.
The Lord will indeed grant prosperity,*
 and our land will yield its increase.
Righteousness shall go before him,*
 and peace shall be a pathway for his feet.

FIRST READING [Obadiah 1:15-21]:

For the day of the Lord is near against all the nations.
As you have done, it shall be done to you;
   your deeds shall return on your own head.
For as you have drunk on my holy mountain,
   all the nations around you shall drink;
they shall drink and gulp down,
   and shall be as though they had never been.

But on Mount Zion there shall be those that escape,
   and it shall be holy;
and the house of Jacob shall take possession of those who dispossessed them.
The house of Jacob shall be a fire,
   the house of Joseph a flame,
   and the house of Esau stubble;
they shall burn them and consume them,
   and there shall be no survivor of the house of Esau;
for the Lord has spoken.
Those of the Negeb shall possess Mount Esau,
   and those of the Shephelah the land of the Philistines;
they shall possess the land of Ephraim and the land of Samaria,
   and Benjamin shall possess Gilead.
The exiles of the Israelites who are in Halah
   shall possess Phoenicia as far as Zarephath;
and the exiles of Jerusalem who are in Sepharad
   shall possess the towns of the Negeb.
Those who have been saved shall go up to Mount Zion
   to rule Mount Esau;
   and the kingdom shall be the Lord’s.

HYMN
Words: Isaac Watts (1674-1748)
Tune: Eisenach, Ivyhatch, Festus, Old 100th, Tallis' Canon

Eternal power, whose high abode
Becomes the grandeur of a God;
Infinite length beyond the bounds
Where stars revolve their little rounds!

Thee while the first archangel sings,
He hides his face beneath his wings,
And throngs of shining thrones around
Fall worshipping, and spread the ground.

Lord, what shall earth and ashes do?
We would adore our maker too;
>From sin and dust to thee we cry,
The great, the holy, and the high!

Earth from afar has heard thy fame,
And babes have learnt to lisp thy name;
But O the glories of thy mind
Leave all our soaring thoughts behind!

God is in heaven, we dwell below;
Be short our tunes, our words be few;
A sacred reverence checks our songs,
And praise sits silent on our tongues.

SECOND READING [John 5:30–47]:

Jesus said,  'I can do nothing on my own. As I hear, I judge; and my judgement is just, because I seek to do not my own will but the will of him who sent me.

'If I testify about myself, my testimony is not true. There is another who testifies on my behalf, and I know that his testimony to me is true. You sent messengers to John, and he testified to the truth. Not that I accept such human testimony, but I say these things so that you may be saved. He was a burning and shining lamp, and you were willing to rejoice for a while in his light. But I have a testimony greater than John's. The works that the Father has given me to complete, the very works that I am doing, testify on my behalf that the Father has sent me. And the Father who sent me has himself testified on my behalf. You have never heard his voice or seen his form, and you do not have his word abiding in you, because you do not believe him whom he has sent.

'You search the scriptures because you think that in them you have eternal life; and it is they that testify on my behalf. Yet you refuse to come to me to have life. I do not accept glory from human beings. But I know that you do not have the love of God in you. I have come in my Father's name, and you do not accept me; if another comes in his own name, you will accept him. How can you believe when you accept glory from one another and do not seek the glory that comes from the one who alone is God? Do not think that I will accuse you before the Father; your accuser is Moses, on whom you have set your hope. If you believed Moses, you would believe me, for he wrote about me. But if you do not believe what he wrote, how will you believe what I say?'

We seek you daily, O Father,
and you are there daily to be found.

Wherever we seek you,
at home, at work, on the highway,
you are there, O Lord.

Whatever we do,
eating and drinking,
writing or working,
readings, meditating or praying,
you are there, O Lord.

If we are oppressed,
you defend us, O Lord.

If we hunger,
you feed us, O Lord.

Whatever we need,
you give us, O Lord.

God of pilgrims,
teach us to recognize your dwelling place
in the love, generosity, and support of those
with whom we share our journey,
and help us to worship you
in our response to those who need our care;
for all the world is your temple
and every human heart is a sign of your presence,
made known to us in Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Fulfill in us and in all creation, O Lord,
the purposes of your redeeming love. Amen.

prayers in _Book of Common Worship_, (c) 1993 Westminster
/ John Knox Press.