OREMUS: 3 February 2011

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Wed Feb 2 17:00:01 GMT 2011

OREMUS for February 3
Anskar, Archbishop of Hamburg, Missionary in Denmark and Sweden, 865

Blessed are you, eternal and loving God!
Blessed is your Son Jesus Christ,
to whom all authority
in heaven and on earth has been given;
who calls us to go and make disciples of all nations,
and teach them to obey everything you command.
Blessed be God forever!

I love you, O Lord my strength,*
 O Lord my stronghold, my crag and my haven.
My God, my rock in whom I put my trust,*
 my shield, the horn of my salvation and my refuge;
   you are worthy of praise.
I will call upon the Lord,*
 and so shall I be saved from my enemies.
The breakers of death rolled over me,*
 and the torrents of oblivion made me afraid.
The cords of hell entangled me,*
 and the snares of death were set for me.
I called upon the Lord in my distress*
 and cried out to my God for help.
He heard my voice from his heavenly dwelling;*
 my cry of anguish came to his ears.
The earth reeled and rocked;*
 the roots of the mountains shook;
   they reeled because of his anger.
Smoke rose from his nostrils
   and a consuming fire out of his mouth;*
 hot burning coals blazed forth from him.
He parted the heavens and came down*
 with a storm cloud under his feet.
He mounted on cherubim and flew;*
 he swooped on the wings of the wind.
He wrapped darkness about him;*
 he made dark waters and thick clouds his pavilion.
>From the brightness of his presence, through the clouds,*
 burst hailstones and coals of fire.
The Lord thundered out of heaven;*
 the Most High uttered his voice.
He loosed his arrows and scattered them;*
 he hurled thunderbolts and routed them.
The beds of the seas were uncovered,
   and the foundations of the world laid bare,*
 at your battle cry, O Lord,
   at the blast of the breath of your nostrils.
He reached down from on high and grasped me;*
 he drew me out of great waters.
He delivered me from my strong enemies
   and from those who hated me;*
 for they were too mighty for me.
They confronted me in the day of my disaster;*
 but the Lord was my support.
He brought me out into an open place;*
 he rescued me because he delighted in me.

The Lord rewarded me because of my righteous dealing;*
 because my hands were clean he rewarded me;
For I have kept the ways of the Lord*
 and have not offended against my God;
For all his judgements are before my eyes,*
 and his decrees I have not put away from me;
For I have been blameless with him*
 and have kept myself from iniquity;
Therefore the Lord rewarded me
   according to my righteous dealing,*
 because of the cleanness of my hands in his sight.
With the faithful you show yourself faithful, O God;*
 with the forthright you show yourself forthright.
With the pure you show yourself pure,*
 but with the crooked you are wily.
You will save a lowly people,*
 but you will humble the haughty eyes.
You, O Lord, are my lamp;*
 my God, you make my darkness bright.
With you I will break down an enclosure;*
 with the help of my God I will scale any wall.
As for God, his ways are perfect;
   the words of the Lord are tried in the fire;*
 he is a shield to all who trust in him.
For who is God, but the Lord?*
 who is the rock, except our God?
It is God who girds me about with strength*
 and makes my way secure.
He makes me sure-footed like a deer*
 and lets me stand firm on the heights.
He trains my hands for battle*
 and my arms for bending even a bow of bronze.
You have given me your shield of victory;*
 your right hand also sustains me;
   your loving care makes me great.
You lengthen my stride beneath me,*
 and my ankles do not give way.
I pursue my enemies and overtake them;*
 I will not turn back till I have destroyed them.
I strike them down and they cannot rise;*
 they fall defeated at my feet.
You have girded me with strength for the battle;*
 you have cast down my adversaries beneath me;
   you have put my enemies to flight.
I destroy those who hate me;
   they cry out, but there is none to help them;*
 they cry to the Lord, but he does not answer.
I beat them small like dust before the wind;*
 I trample them like mud in the streets.
You deliver me from the strife of the peoples;*
 you put me at the head of the nations.
A people I have not known shall serve me;
   no sooner shall they hear than they shall obey me;*
 strangers will cringe before me.
The foreign peoples will lose heart;*
 they shall come trembling out of their strongholds.
The Lord lives! Blessèd is my rock!*
 Exalted is the God of my salvation!
He is the God who gave me victory*
 and cast down the peoples beneath me.
You rescued me from the fury of my enemies;
   you exalted me above those who rose against me;*
 you saved me from my deadly foe;
Therefore will I extol you among the nations, O Lord,*
 and sing praises to your name.
He multiplies the victories of his king;*
 he shows loving-kindness to his anointed,
   to David and his descendants for ever.

FIRST READING [Zechariah 14:1–21]:

See, a day is coming for the Lord, when the plunder taken from you will be divided in your midst. For I will gather all the nations against Jerusalem to battle, and the city shall be taken and the houses looted and the women raped; half the city shall go into exile, but the rest of the people shall not be cut off from the city. Then the Lord will go forth and fight against those nations as when he fights on a day of battle. On that day his feet shall stand on the Mount of Olives, which lies before Jerusalem on the east; and the Mount of Olives shall be split in two from east to west by a very wide valley; so that half of the Mount shall withdraw northwards, and the other half southwards. And you shall flee by the valley of the Lord’s mountain, for the valley between the mountains shall reach to Azal; and you shall flee as you fled from the earthquake in the days of King Uzziah of Judah. Then the Lord my God will come, and all the holy ones with him.

On that day there shall not be either cold or frost. And there shall be continuous day (it is known to the Lord), not day and not night, for at evening time there shall be light.

On that day living waters shall flow out from Jerusalem, half of them to the eastern sea and half of them to the western sea; it shall continue in summer as in winter.

And the Lord will become king over all the earth; on that day the Lord will be one and his name one.

The whole land shall be turned into a plain from Geba to Rimmon south of Jerusalem. But Jerusalem shall remain aloft on its site from the Gate of Benjamin to the place of the former gate, to the Corner Gate, and from the Tower of Hananel to the king’s wine presses. And it shall be inhabited, for never again shall it be doomed to destruction; Jerusalem shall abide in security.

This shall be the plague with which the Lord will strike all the peoples that wage war against Jerusalem: their flesh shall rot while they are still on their feet; their eyes shall rot in their sockets, and their tongues shall rot in their mouths. On that day a great panic from the Lord shall fall on them, so that each will seize the hand of a neighbour, and the hand of one will be raised against the hand of the other; even Judah will fight at Jerusalem. And the wealth of all the surrounding nations shall be collected—gold, silver, and garments in great abundance. And a plague like this plague shall fall on the horses, the mules, the camels, the donkeys, and whatever animals may be in those camps.

Then all who survive of the nations that have come against Jerusalem shall go up year by year to worship the King, the Lord of hosts, and to keep the festival of booths. If any of the families of the earth do not go up to Jerusalem to worship the King, the Lord of hosts, there will be no rain upon them. And if the family of Egypt do not go up and present themselves, then on them shall come the plague that the Lord inflicts on the nations that do not go up to keep the festival of booths. Such shall be the punishment of Egypt and the punishment of all the nations that do not go up to keep the festival of booths.

On that day there shall be inscribed on the bells of the horses, ‘Holy to the Lord.’ And the cooking-pots in the house of the Lord shall be as holy as the bowls in front of the altar; and every cooking-pot in Jerusalem and Judah shall be sacred to the Lord of hosts, so that all who sacrifice may come and use them to boil the flesh of the sacrifice. And there shall no longer be traders in the house of the Lord of hosts on that day.

HYMN
Words: Kirden den er et gammelt hus by N. F. S. Grundtvig (1783-1872) translated by Alan Gaunt (born 1935) from a literal translation by Enid Luff. English translation © 1998 Stainer & Bell Ltd. Used with permission.
Meter: 88 88 88

Ancient and sure, the Church will stand
Even though towers are falling;
Towers come crashing to the ground,
Bells go on pealing and calling:
Hear, young and old in your distress,
Hear, souls weighed down with weariness,
Yearning for rest and salvation.

Houses we build do not contain
God in his holy perfection;
Earth's holiest place will not retain
More than its palest reflection.
And yet God builds a dwelling place,
Wondrously raised by heaven's grace
Out of this earth's dust and ashes.

We are God's house and church today,
Living stones, chosen, well-founded;
Under the cross, baptised, we stay
Built up in faith, firmly grounded.
Were we, on earth, no more than two,
God would still build, and still renew
His life and dwelling place in us.

Meeting our king here face to face,
Finding, with Peter, 'God with us,'
We would not change the humblest place,
Not for the world and its treasures.
God keeps his word and, ever near
Within our hearts, is speaking here,
Present as Lord of creation.

Houses called churches, built on earth,
Honour our Lord, who embraces
Children like us who, from our birth,
Love to come home to these places.
Here such delightful things are heard,
He seals his covenant with his word,
Gives us the Kingdom of Heaven.

Here, at the font, our lives were claimed,
Here at his table he feeds us,
Here we have heard his word proclaimed,
Here his love's mystery leads us.
Present today as yesterday,
God's Son reminds us he will stay
Ever our Christ and Redeemer.

God grant, wherever through the year,
Summoned by bells, we are praying,
That, in their pealing, people hear
This word that Jesus is saying:
'The world does not see me, but you,
You see that all I say comes true:
My peace is with you for ever.'

SECOND READING [Titus 2:7—3:15]:

Show yourself in all respects a model of good works, and in your teaching show integrity, gravity, and sound speech that cannot be censured; then any opponent will be put to shame, having nothing evil to say of us.

Tell slaves to be submissive to their masters and to give satisfaction in every respect; they are not to answer back, not to pilfer, but to show complete and perfect fidelity, so that in everything they may be an ornament to the doctrine of God our Saviour.

For the grace of God has appeared, bringing salvation to all, training us to renounce impiety and worldly passions, and in the present age to live lives that are self-controlled, upright, and godly, while we wait for the blessed hope and the manifestation of the glory of our great God and Saviour, Jesus Christ. He it is who gave himself for us that he might redeem us from all iniquity and purify for himself a people of his own who are zealous for good deeds.

Declare these things; exhort and reprove with all authority. Let no one look down on you.
Remind them to be subject to rulers and authorities, to be obedient, to be ready for every good work, to speak evil of no one, to avoid quarrelling, to be gentle, and to show every courtesy to everyone. For we ourselves were once foolish, disobedient, led astray, slaves to various passions and pleasures, passing our days in malice and envy, despicable, hating one another. But when the goodness and loving-kindness of God our Saviour appeared, he saved us, not because of any works of righteousness that we had done, but according to his mercy, through the water of rebirth and renewal by the Holy Spirit. This Spirit he poured out on us richly through Jesus Christ our Saviour, so that, having been justified by his grace, we might become heirs according to the hope of eternal life. The saying is sure.

I desire that you insist on these things, so that those who have come to believe in God may be careful to devote themselves to good works; these things are excellent and profitable to everyone. But avoid stupid controversies, genealogies, dissensions, and quarrels about the law, for they are unprofitable and worthless. After a first and second admonition, have nothing more to do with anyone who causes divisions, since you know that such a person is perverted and sinful, being self-condemned.

When I send Artemas to you, or Tychicus, do your best to come to me at Nicopolis, for I have decided to spend the winter there. Make every effort to send Zenas the lawyer and Apollos on their way, and see that they lack nothing. And let people learn to devote themselves to good works in order to meet urgent needs, so that they may not be unproductive.

We pray for the use of God's gifts to his Church, saying
Jesus, Lord of your Church:
in your mercy, hear us

God our Father,
you give us gifts that we may work together
in the service of your Son:
Bless those who lead,
that they may be firm in faith,
yet humble before you.
We pray especially for the people of the Diocese
Jesus, Lord of your Church:
in your mercy hear us.

Bless those who teach,
that they may increase our understanding,
and be open to your word for them:
Jesus, Lord of your Church:
in your mercy hear us.

Bless those who minister healing,
that they may bring wholeness to other,
yet know your healing in themselves:
Jesus, Lord of your Church:
in your mercy hear us.

Bless those through whom you speak,
that they may proclaim your word in power,
yet have their ears open to your gentle whisper:
Jesus, Lord of your Church:
in your mercy hear us.

Bless those who work in your world today
that they may live for you, fulfil your purposes,
and seek your kingdom first
in the complexity of their daily lives.
Jesus, Lord of your Church:
in your mercy hear us.

Bless those who feel they have no gifts and are not valued,
and those who are powerless by the world's standards,
that they may share their experience
of the work of your Spirit.
Jesus, Lord of your Church:
in your mercy hear us.

Guard us, O Lord, with the shield of faith
and fight for us with the sword of the Spirit,
that in all our spiritual warfare
   against the powers of darkness
we may gain the victory
through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Almighty and everlasting God,
you sent your servant Anskar
as an apostle to the people of Scandinavia,
and enabled him to lay a firm foundation for their conversion,
though he did not see the results of his labors:
Keep your Church from discouragement in the day of small things,
knowing than when you have begun a good work
you will bring it to a faithful conclusion;

Give us the spirit of wisdom and understanding,
the spirit of counsel and might,
the spirit of knowledge and the fear of the Lord,
the spirit of joy in your presence,
both now and forever. Amen.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving is based on Matthew 28:18-20 and the closing sentence is based on Isaiah 11.

A native of Picardy, Anskar was a monk of Corbie near Amiens who, after the conversion of the King of Denmark to Christianity, went to Schleswig and attempted to start a Christian school there. He was expelled by the locals but went on to Sweden, where he is reputed to have built the first Christian church. In 832 he was consecrated Bishop of Hamburg and sixteen years later became Archbishop of Bremen. He returned to Denmark to convert the King of Jutland. He preached widely throughout Scandinavia and was much-loved for his work with the poor and in mitigating the slave trade. He is the patron saint of Denmark. He died in the year 865. [Exciting Holiness]