OREMUS: 1 January 2012

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sat Dec 31 17:00:00 GMT 2011

OREMUS for January 1
The Naming and Circumcision of Our Lord Jesus Christ

Blessed are you, O God, the almighty Father,
for placing us into a world of space and time,
and blessing us with your love.
through the events of our lives.
Shed forth the glory of your  presence
that we may see your love at work
and live in the light of the event
that gives us joy forever:
the coming of your Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.

http://www.oremus.org/chrocant.html

Psalm 1

Happy are they who have not walked
   in the counsel of the wicked,*
 nor lingered in the way of sinners,
   nor sat in the seats of the scornful!
Their delight is in the law of the Lord,*
 and they meditate on his law day and night.
They are like trees planted by streams of water,
   bearing fruit in due season,
   with leaves that do not wither;*
 everything they do shall prosper.
It is not so with the wicked:*
 they are like chaff which the wind blows away;
Therefore the wicked shall not stand upright
   when judgement comes,*
 nor the sinner in the council of the righteous.
For the Lord knows the way of the righteous,*
 but the way of the wicked is doomed.

Psalm 2

Why are the nations in an uproar?*
 Why do the peoples mutter empty threats?
Why do the kings of the earth rise up in revolt
   and the princes plot together,*
 against the Lord and against his anointed?
'Let us break their yoke', they say;*
 'let us cast off their bonds from us.'
He whose throne is in heaven is laughing;*
 the Lord has them in derision.
Then he speaks to them in his wrath*
 and his rage fills them with terror.
'I myself have set my king*
 upon my holy hill of Zion.'
Let me announce the decree of the Lord:*
 he said to me, 'You are my Son;
   this day have I begotten you.
'Ask of me and I will give you the nations for
   your inheritance*
 and the ends of the earth for your possession.
'You shall crush them with an iron rod*
 and shatter them like a piece of pottery.'
And now, you kings, be wise;*
 be warned, you rulers of the earth.
Submit to the Lord with fear,*
 and with trembling bow before him;
Lest he be angry and you perish;*
 for his wrath is quickly kindled.
Happy are they all*
 who take refuge in him!

Psalm 3

Lord, how many adversaries I have!*
 how many there are who rise up against me!
How many there are who say of me,*
 'There is no help for him in his God.'
But you, O Lord, are a shield about me;*
 you are my glory, the one who lifts up my head.
I call aloud upon the Lord*
 and he answers me from his holy hill;
I lie down and go to sleep;*
 I wake again, because the Lord sustains me.
I do not fear the multitudes of people*
 who set themselves against me all around.
Rise up, O Lord; set me free, O my God;*
 surely, you will strike all my enemies across the face,
   you will break the teeth of the wicked.
Deliverance belongs to the Lord.*
 Your blessing be upon your people!

Psalm 4

Answer me when I call, O God, defender of my cause;*
 you set me free when I am hardpressed;
   have mercy on me and hear my prayer.
'You mortals, how long will you dishonour my glory;*
 how long will you worship dumb idols
   and run after false gods?'
Know that the Lord does wonders for the faithful;*
 when I call upon the Lord, he will hear me.
Tremble, then, and do not sin;*
 speak to your heart in silence upon your bed.
Offer the appointed sacrifices*
 and put your trust in the Lord.
Many are saying,
'O that we might see better times!'*
 Lift up the light of your countenance upon us, O Lord.
You have put gladness in my heart,*
 more than when grain and wine and oil increase.
I lie down in peace; at once I fall asleep;*
 for only you, Lord, make me dwell in safety.

Psalm 5

Give ear to my words, O Lord;*
 consider my meditation.
Hearken to my cry for help, my King and my God,*
 for I make my prayer to you.
In the morning, Lord, you hear my voice;*
 early in the morning I make my appeal
   and watch for you.
For you are not a God who takes pleasure in wickedness*
 and evil cannot dwell with you.
Braggarts cannot stand in your sight;*
 you hate all those who work wickedness.
You destroy those who speak lies;*
 the bloodthirsty and deceitful, O Lord, you abhor.
But as for me, through the greatness of your mercy,
   I will go into your house;*
 I will bow down towards your holy temple in awe of you.
Lead me, O Lord, in your righteousness,
   because of those who lie in wait for me;*
 make your way straight before me.
For there is no truth in their mouth;*
 there is destruction in their heart;
Their throat is an open grave;*
 they flatter with their tongue.
Declare them guilty, O God;*
 let them fall, because of their schemes.
Because of their many transgressions cast them out,*
 for they have rebelled against you.
But all who take refuge in you will be glad;*
 they will sing out their joy for ever.
You will shelter them,*
 so that those who love your name may exult in you.
For you, O Lord, will bless the righteous;*
 you will defend them with your favour as with a shield.

FIRST READING [Deuteronomy 28:1-11]:

If you will only obey the Lord your God, by diligently observing all his commandments that I am commanding you today, the Lord your God will set you high above all the nations of the earth; all these blessings shall come upon you and overtake you, if you obey the Lord your God:

Blessed shall you be in the city, and blessed shall you be in the field.

Blessed shall be the fruit of your womb, the fruit of your ground, and the fruit of your livestock, both the increase of your cattle and the issue of your flock.

Blessed shall be your basket and your kneading-bowl.

Blessed shall you be when you come in, and blessed shall you be when you go out.

The Lord will cause your enemies who rise against you to be defeated before you; they shall come out against you one way, and flee before you seven ways. The Lord will command the blessing upon you in your barns, and in all that you undertake; he will bless you in the land that the Lord your God is giving you. The Lord will establish you as his holy people, as he has sworn to you, if you keep the commandments of the Lord your God and walk in his ways. All the peoples of the earth shall see that you are called by the name of the Lord, and they shall be afraid of you. The Lord will make you abound in prosperity, in the fruit of your womb, in the fruit of your livestock, and in the fruit of your ground in the land that the Lord swore to your ancestors to give you.

HYMN
Words: Meaux Breviary, 1713; trans. Francis Pott, 1861
Tune: Tallis' Ordinal

The year is gone, beyond recall,
with all its hopes and fears,
with all its bright and gladdening smiles,
with all its mourners' tears.

Thy thankful people praise thee, Lord,
for countless gifts received;
and pray for grace to keep the faith
which saints of old believed.

To thee we come, O gracious Lord,
the newborn year to bless;
defend our land from pestilence,
give peace and plenteousness.

Forgive this nation's many sins,
the growth of vice restrain;
and help us all with sin to strive,
and crowns of life to gain.

>From evil deeds that stain the past
we now desire to flee;
and pray that future years may all
be spent, good Lord, for thee.

O Father, let thy watchful eye
still look on us in love,
that we may praise thee, year by year,
with angel hosts above.

All glory to the Father be,
all glory to the Son,
all glory, Holy Ghost, to thee,
while endless ages run.

SECOND READING [Luke 2:15-21]:

When the angels had left them and gone into heaven, the shepherds said to one another, 'Let us go now to Bethlehem and see this thing that has taken place, which the Lord has made known to us.' So they went with haste and found Mary and Joseph, and the child lying in the manger. When they saw this, they made known what had been told them about this child; and all who heard it were amazed at what the shepherds told them. But Mary treasured all these words and pondered them in her heart. The shepherds returned, glorifying and praising God for all they had heard and seen, as it had been told them.

After eight days had passed, it was time to circumcise the child; and he was called Jesus, the name given by the angel before he was conceived in the womb.

In a world of change and hope,
of fear and adventure,
faithful God,
glorify your Name.

In human rebellion and obedience,
in our seeking and our finding,
faithful God,
glorify your Name.

In the common life of our society,
in prosperity and need,
faithful God,
glorify your Name.

As your Church proclaims your goodness,
in words and action,
faithful God,
glorify your Name.

Among our friends,
and in our homes,
faithful God,
glorify your Name.

In our times of joy,
in our days of sorrow,
faithful God,
glorify your Name.

In our strengths and triumphs,
in our weakness and at our death,
faithful God,
glorify your Name.

In your saints in glory
and on the day of Christ's coming,
faithful God,
glorify your Name.

Eternal Father,
you gave to your incarnate Son
the holy name of Jesus
to be the sign of our salvation
Plant in every heart, we pray,
the love of him who is the Savior of the world,
our Lord Jesus Christ;
one God, in glory everlasting. Amen.

let us pray in faith and trust:

- The Lord's Prayer

May God keep us in all our days.
May Christ shield us in all our ways.
May the Spirit brings us healing and peace.
May God the Holy Trinity drive all darkness from us
and pour upon us blessing and light. Amen.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving is adapted from _Chalice
Worship_, (c) Chalice Press, 1997. Reproduced with permission.

The intercession and the closing sentence are adapted from _The Promise
of His Glory_ (Mowbray), (c) The Central Board of Finance  of the
Church of England 1990, 1991, which is used with permission.

of The Episcopal Church_.

The celebration of this scriptural festival marks three events: firstly, the naming of the infant; secondly, the sign of the covenant between God and Abraham 'and his children for ever', thus Christ's keeping of the Law; and thirdly, traditionally the first shedding of the Christ's blood. The most significant of these in the gospels is the name itself, which means 'Yahweh saves' and so is linked to the question asked by Moses of God: "What is your name?" "I am who I am," was the reply, thus the significance of Jesus's words: "Before Abraham was, I am." This feast has been observed in the church since at least the sixth century. [Exciting Holiness]