OREMUS: 31 December 2011

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Fri Dec 30 17:00:00 GMT 2011

OREMUS for December 31
John Wyclif, Reformer, 1384

John was a member of the Wyclif family of Richmond in Yorkshire and was born in about the year 1330. He was a fellow of Merton College Oxford, and Master of Balliol, but his expulsion from the Wardenship of Canterbury Hall (later incorporated into Christ Church) in favour of a monastic foundation led to a lawsuit and a life-long hatred of things monastic. He was much in favour with members of the royal family and, when disputes arose owing to his attacks on the clergy of the day, he was protected by them from the otherwise inevitable consequence of deprivation of his posts. However, he went on to deny the Church's teaching of the presence of Christ at the eucharist, the doctrine known as transubstantiation, and it was this that lost him his royal protection. His opinions were formally condemned in 1381 and he was forced out of office by the university the following year. John had already moved to Lutterworth in 1380 and from there he gave his support to such projects as the translation of the Bible into contemporary English. He died on this day in 1384, whilst at Mass.

Blessed are you, God of the living word,
the promise of the Spirit
is carried in scripture's womb;
you make us midwives of the gospel,
ready to welcome hope newborn
and make Jesus, the Word made flesh,
known to a world in chains;

http://www.oremus.org/chrocant.html

Worship the Lord, O Jerusalem;*
 praise your God, O Zion;
 he satisfies you with the finest wheat.
He sends out his command to the earth,*
 and his word runs very swiftly.
He gives snow like wool;*
 he scatters hoarfrost like ashes.
 who can stand against his cold?
He declares his word to Jacob,*

 you seamonsters and all deeps;

 and a twoedged sword in their hand;

Praise him with the blast of the ram'shorn;*
 praise him with loudclanging cymbals.

FIRST READING [Isaiah 59.15b–end]:

The Lord saw it, and it displeased him
   that there was no justice.
He saw that there was no one,
   and was appalled that there was no one to intervene;
so his own arm brought him victory,
   and his righteousness upheld him.
He put on righteousness like a breastplate,
   and a helmet of salvation on his head;
he put on garments of vengeance for clothing,
   and wrapped himself in fury as in a mantle.
According to their deeds, so will he repay;
   wrath to his adversaries, requital to his enemies;
   to the coastlands he will render requital.
So those in the west shall fear the name of the Lord,
   and those in the east, his glory;
for he will come like a pent-up stream
   that the wind of the Lord drives on.

And he will come to Zion as Redeemer,
   to those in Jacob who turn from transgression, says the Lord.
And as for me, this is my covenant with them, says the Lord: my spirit that is upon you, and my words that I have put in your mouth, shall not depart out of your mouth, or out of the mouths of your children, or out of the mouths of your children’s children, says the Lord, from now on and for ever.

HYMN
Words: (c) Timothy Dudley-Smith
Tune: O perfect love; Lord of the years

Lord, for the years your love has kept and guided,
urged and inspired us, cheered us on our way,
sought us and saved us, pardoned and provided:
Lord for the years, we bring our thanks today.

Lord, for that word, the word of life which fires us,
speaks to our hearts and sets our souls ablaze,
teaches and trains, rebukes us and inspires us:
Lord of the word, receive your people's praise.

Lord, for our land in this our generation,
spirits oppressed by pleasure, wealth and care:
for young and old, for commonwealth and nation,
Lord of our land, be pleased to hear our prayer.

Lord, for our world where men disown and doubt you,
loveless in strength, and comfortless in pain,
hungry and helpless, lost indeed without you:
Lord of the world, we pray that Christ may reign.

Lord for ourselves; in living power remake us-
self on the cross, and Christ upon the throne,
past put behind us, for the future take us:
Lord of our lives, to live for Christ alone.

SECOND READING [Matthew 25:31-46]:

Jesus said, 'When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, then he will sit on the throne of his glory. All the nations will be gathered before him, and he will separate people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats, and he will put the sheep at his right hand and the goats at the left. Then the king will say to those at his right hand, “Come, you that are blessed by my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world; for I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, I was naked and you gave me clothing, I was sick and you took care of me, I was in prison and you visited me.” Then the righteous will answer him, “Lord, when was it that we saw you hungry and gave you food, or thirsty and gave you something to drink? And when was it that we saw you a stranger and welcomed you, or naked and gave you clothing? And when was it that we saw you sick or in prison and visited you?” And the king will answer them, “Truly I tell you, just as you did it to one of the least of these who are members of my family, you did it to me.” Then he will say to those at his left hand, “You that are accursed, depart from me into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels; for I was hungry and you gave me no food, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, I was a stranger and you did not welcome me, naked and you did not give me clothing, sick and in prison and you did not visit me.” Then they also will answer, “Lord, when was it that we saw you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or sick or in prison, and did not take care of you?” Then he will answer them, “Truly I tell you, just as you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to me.” And these will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.'

In the dark of the darkest night,
in the loneliness of the loneliest day,
in the stumbling, searching, groping of our living,
you have been present,
to bring light into our darkness,
to bring companionship into our solitude,
to bring direction into our wanderings.

And for that act of faith in us,
for that belief in us through Jesus Christ,
we offer today our thanksgiving, Lord God,
and our prayers for others.

For those for whom the advent of this new year,
brings no peace or joy.
For the troubled land that is Afghanistan;
for our forces there;
for the families left behind, and the children too young to comprehend;
for the orphaned and the angry:
Lord God, may your peace descend slowly like a dove.

For those for whom there will be no new year celebrations,
because of the continuing aftermath of natural disasters
that flooded homes and swept away villages months ago.
For those still scrabbling for a pittance of food
to keep body and soul together.
For those who found little warmth in the doorway or the dark alley,
for those addicted to their habit of drink or drugs,
for all victims of domestic violence at this time,
for those for whom anxiety and ill-health has blighted this stage of life.
Lord in silence we lay before you now the needs of those
for whom especially today we wish to pray . . .

But today, of all days,
and in this place, of all places,
we pray for our town /city/ village
and for all the churches within it,
that your Holy Spirit may lead and direct
our thinking and our being together
so that our town /city/ village
may flourish and prosper
by the preaching of your word
and the doing of your will.

As we end one year and begin another worshipping
may that spirit of harmony and togetherness
typify all our relationships from this day forwards
by placing you, Lord God, at the centre of our lives
and by placing us at the centre of yours.
These we ask and pray through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Everliving God,
you raised up your servant John Wycliffe
to be a herald of renewal in the church;
give us ears to hear the voice of the prophet,
wisdom to discern the true from the false,
and zeal in your service;
through Jesus Christ our Lord.

let us pray in faith and trust:

- The Lord's Prayer

As we enter another year, Lord,
help us to set our hands to what may need reforming. Amen.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving is based on a prayer in Prayers for an Inclusive Church by Steven Shakespeare. The collect and closing sentence are from _For All the Saints_, 1996, The Anglican Church
in Aotearoa, New Zealand and Polynesia. The intercession is from Starters for Sunday, 1 January 2012, Church of Scotland.

Hymn (c) 1969 by Hope Publishing Co., Carol Stream, IL  60188.
For permission to reproduce this text in all territories except the UK, Europe &
Africa, contact: Hope Publishing Company,
www.hopepublishing.com
For UK, Europe & Africa: contact: Bishop Timothy Dudley-Smith,
9 Ashlands, Ford, Salisbury, Wiltshire  SP4 6DY  England

The biography is from Exciting Holiness © European Province of the Society of Saint Francis, 1997.