OREMUS: 21 December 2011

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Tue Dec 20 17:19:24 GMT 2011

OREMUS for December 21
O Oriens

Blessed are you, O radiant Dawn,
splendor of eternal light.
Like the sun, the world's Savior, the Sun of justice, will rise
and the Lord shall down to the Virgin's womb
like gentle rain upon the grass.

http://www.oremus.org/advocant.html

 for his mercy endures for ever.
Who can declare the mighty acts of the Lord*
 or show forth all his praise?
Happy are those who act with justice*
 and always do what is right!
Remember me, O Lord,
   with the favour you have for your people,*
 and visit me with your saving help;
That I may see the prosperity of your elect
   and be glad with the gladness of your people,*
 that I may glory with your inheritance.
We have sinned as our forebears did;*
 we have done wrong and dealt wickedly.
In Egypt they did not consider your marvellous works,
   nor remember the abundance of your love;*
 they defied the Most High at the Red Sea.
But he saved them for his name's sake,*
 to make his power known.
He rebuked the Red Sea and it dried up,*
 and he led them through the deep as through a desert.
He saved them from the hand of those who hated them*
 and redeemed them from the hand of the enemy.
The waters covered their oppressors;*
 not one of them was left.
Then they believed his words*
 and sang him songs of praise.
But they soon forgot his deeds*
 and did not wait for his counsel.
A craving seized them in the wilderness,*
 and they put God to the test in the desert.
He gave them what they asked,*
 but sent leanness into their soul.
They envied Moses in the camp,*
 and Aaron, the holy one of the Lord.
The earth opened and swallowed Dathan*
 and covered the company of Abiram.
Fire blazed up against their company,*
 and flames devoured the wicked.
Israel made a bullcalf at Horeb*
 and worshipped a molten image;
And so they exchanged their Glory*
 for the image of an ox that feeds on grass.
They forgot God their saviour,*
 who had done great things in Egypt,
Wonderful deeds in the land of Ham,*
 and fearful things at the Red Sea.
So he would have destroyed them,
   had not Moses his chosen
   stood before him in the breach,*
 to turn away his wrath from consuming them.

Our forebears refused the pleasant land*
 and would not believe God's promise.
They grumbled in their tents*
 and would not listen to the voice of the Lord.
So he lifted his hand against them,*
 to overthrow them in the wilderness,
To cast out their seed among the nations,*
 and to scatter them throughout the lands.
They joined themselves to BaalPeor*
 and ate sacrifices offered to the dead.
They provoked him to anger with their actions,*
 and a plague broke out among them.
Then Phinehas stood up and interceded,*
 and the plague came to an end.
This was reckoned to him as righteousness*
 throughout all generations for ever.
Again they provoked his anger at the waters of Meribah,*
 so that he punished Moses because of them;
For they so embittered his spirit*
 that he spoke rash words with his lips.
They did not destroy the peoples*
 as the Lord had commanded them.
They intermingled with the heathen*
 and learned their pagan ways,
So that they worshipped their idols,*
 which became a snare to them.! v37 >
They sacrificed their sons*
 and their daughters to evil spirits.
They shed innocent blood,
   the blood of their sons and daughters,*
 which they offered to the idols of Canaan,
   and the land was defiled with blood.
Thus they were polluted by their actions*
 and went whoring in their evil deeds;
Therefore the wrath of the Lord
   was kindled against his people*
 and he abhorred his inheritance.
He gave them over to the hand of the heathen,*
 and those who hated them ruled over them.
Their enemies oppressed them,*
 and they were humbled under their hand.
Many a time did he deliver them,
   but they rebelled through their own devices,*
 and were brought down in their iniquity.
Nevertheless, he saw their distress,*
 when he heard their lamentation.
He remembered his covenant with them*
 and relented in accordance with his great mercy.
He caused them to be pitied*
 by those who held them captive.
Save us, O Lord our God,
   and gather us from among the nations,*
 that we may give thanks to your holy name
   and glory in your praise.
Blessed be the Lord, the God of Israel,
   from everlasting and to everlasting;*
 and let all the people say, 'Amen!'
   Alleluia!

FIRST READING [Isaiah 55:6-11]:

Seek the Lord while he may be found,
   call upon him while he is near;
let the wicked forsake their way,
   and the unrighteous their thoughts;
let them return to the Lord, that he may have mercy on them,
   and to our God, for he will abundantly pardon.
For my thoughts are not your thoughts,
   nor are your ways my ways, says the Lord.
For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
   so are my ways higher than your ways
   and my thoughts than your thoughts.

For as the rain and the snow come down from heaven,
   and do not return there until they have watered the earth,
making it bring forth and sprout,
   giving seed to the sower and bread to the eater,
so shall my word be that goes out from my mouth;
   it shall not return to me empty,
but it shall accomplish that which I purpose,
   and succeed in the thing for which I sent it.

HYMN
Words: Harriet Auber (1773-1862)
Tune: Maos Zur

Praise our great and gracious Lord,
call upon his holy name;
raising hymns in glad accord,
all his mighty acts proclaim:
how he leads his chosen
unto Canaan's promised land,
how the word we have heard
firm and changeless still shall stand.

God has given the cloud by day,
given the moving fire by night;
guides his Israel on their way
from the darkness into light.
God it is who grants us
sure retreat and refuge nigh;
light of dawn leads us on:
'tis the Dayspring from on high.

SECOND READING [2 Peter 3]:

This is now, beloved, the second letter I am writing to you; in them I am trying to arouse your sincere intention by reminding you that you should remember the words spoken in the past by the holy prophets, and the commandment of the Lord and Saviour spoken through your apostles. First of all you must understand this, that in the last days scoffers will come, scoffing and indulging their own lusts and saying, ‘Where is the promise of his coming? For ever since our ancestors died, all things continue as they were from the beginning of creation!’ They deliberately ignore this fact, that by the word of God heavens existed long ago and an earth was formed out of water and by means of water, through which the world of that time was deluged with water and perished. But by the same word the present heavens and earth have been reserved for fire, being kept until the day of judgement and destruction of the godless.

But do not ignore this one fact, beloved, that with the Lord one day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like one day. The Lord is not slow about his promise, as some think of slowness, but is patient with you, not wanting any to perish, but all to come to repentance. But the day of the Lord will come like a thief, and then the heavens will pass away with a loud noise, and the elements will be dissolved with fire, and the earth and everything that is done on it will be disclosed.

Since all these things are to be dissolved in this way, what sort of people ought you to be in leading lives of holiness and godliness, waiting for and hastening the coming of the day of God, because of which the heavens will be set ablaze and dissolved, and the elements will melt with fire? But, in accordance with his promise, we wait for new heavens and a new earth, where righteousness is at home.

Therefore, beloved, while you are waiting for these things, strive to be found by him at peace, without spot or blemish; and regard the patience of our Lord as salvation. So also our beloved brother Paul wrote to you according to the wisdom given to him, speaking of this as he does in all his letters. There are some things in them hard to understand, which the ignorant and unstable twist to their own destruction, as they do the other scriptures. You therefore, beloved, since you are forewarned, beware that you are not carried away with the error of the lawless and lose your own stability. But grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. To him be the glory both now and to the day of eternity. Amen.

Gracious God,
out of chaos and darkness
you brought forth the splendor of the universe
and the world in all its beauty:
Light of the world, come!

You sent your Son
at the proper time
to be the Light of the world,
to lead us out of darkness
into the brightness of your truth.
Light of the world, come!

Beyond all the noise and excitement
surrounding this season,
we look for the coming of the new heaven and new earth.
Light of the world, come!

Lord Jesus,
you are coming again in great glory;
send your Spirit upon us
to prepare for this great event.
Light of the world, come!

Lord God,
we await the dawning of the new day
when the earth shall be filled with your glory.
Light of the world, come!

God of all wisdom,
our hearts yearn for the warmth of your love,
and our minds search for the light of your Word:
Increase our longing for Christ our Savior,
and strengthen us to grow in love,
that at the dawn of his coming
we may rejoice in his presence
and welcome the light of his truth;
this we ask in the Name of Jesus Christ. Amen.

Awaiting his coming in glory,

Music may be found <a
href="http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/mid/veniemma.mid">here

O come, thou Dayspring from on high,