OREMUS: 8 December 2011

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Wed Dec 7 17:25:18 GMT 2011

OREMUS for December 8
The Conception of the Blessed Virgin Mary

truly you work wonders over all the earth
and from age to age you extend your gracious mercy.
You looked with favor on your lowly servant,
the Blessed Virgin Mary,
and through her you gave to the world
Jesus Christ your Son our Lord,
the author of salvation for humankind.
For these and all your mercies we praise you,

http://www.oremus.org/advocant.html

Psalm 41

Happy are they who consider the poor and needy!*
 the Lord will deliver them in the time of trouble.
The Lord preserves them and keeps them alive,
   so that they may be happy in the land;*
 he does not hand them over to the will of their enemies.
The Lord sustains them on their sickbed*
 and ministers to them in their illness.
I said, 'Lord, be merciful to me;*
 heal me, for I have sinned against you.'
My enemies are saying wicked things about me:*
 'When will he die and his name perish?'
Even if they come to see me, they speak empty words;*
 their heart collects false rumours;
   they go outside and spread them.
All my enemies whisper together about me*
 and devise evil against me.
'A deadly thing', they say, 'has fastened on him;*
 he has taken to his bed and will never get up again.'Even my best friend, whom I trusted,
   who broke bread with me,*
 has lifted up his heel and turned against me.
But you, O Lord, be merciful to me and raise me up,*
 and I shall repay them.
By this I know you are pleased with me,*
 that my enemy does not triumph over me.
In my integrity you hold me fast,*
 and shall set me before your face for ever.
Blessed be the Lord God of Israel,*
 from age to age. Amen. Amen.

Psalm 42

As the deer longs for the waterbrooks,*
 so longs my soul for you, O God.
My soul is athirst for God, athirst for the living God;*
 when shall I come to appear before the presence of God?
My tears have been my food day and night,*
 while all day long they say to me,
   'Where now is your God?'
I pour out my soul when I think on these things:*
 how I went with the multitude
   and led them into the house of God,
With the voice of praise and thanksgiving,*
 among those who keep holyday.
Why are you so full of heaviness, O my soul?*
 and why are you so disquieted within me?
Put your trust in God;*
 for I will yet give thanks to him,
   who is the help of my countenance, and my God.
My soul is heavy within me;*
 therefore I will remember you from the land of Jordan,
   and from the peak of Mizar among the heights of Hermon.
One deep calls to another in the noise of your cataracts;*
 all your rapids and floods have gone over me.
The Lord grants his lovingkindness in the daytime;*
 in the night season his song is with me,
   a prayer to the God of my life.
I will say to the God of my strength,
   'Why have you forgotten me?*
 and why do I go so heavily
   while the enemy oppresses me?'
While my bones are being broken,*
 my enemies mock me to my face;
All day long they mock me*
 say to me, 'Where now is your God?'
Why are you so full of heaviness, O my soul?*
 and why are you so disquieted within me?
Put your trust in God;*
 for I will yet give thanks to him,
   who is the help of my countenance, and my God.

Psalm 43

Give judgement for me, O God,
   and defend my cause against an ungodly people;*
 deliver me from the deceitful and the wicked.
For you are the God of my strength;
   why have you put me from you?*
 and why do I go so heavily
   while the enemy oppresses me?
Send out your light and your truth,
   that they may lead me,*
 and bring me to your holy hill
   and to your dwelling;
That I may go to the altar of God,
   to the God of my joy and gladness;*
 and on the harp I will give thanks to you,
   O God my God.
Why are you so full of heaviness, O my soul?*
 and why are you so disquieted within me?
Put your trust in God;*
 for I will yet give thanks to him,
   who is the help of my countenance, and my God.

FIRST READING [Isaiah 46]:

Bel bows down, Nebo stoops,
   their idols are on beasts and cattle;
these things you carry are loaded
   as burdens on weary animals.
They stoop, they bow down together;
   they cannot save the burden,
   but themselves go into captivity.

Listen to me, O house of Jacob,
   all the remnant of the house of Israel,
who have been borne by me from your birth,
   carried from the womb;
even to your old age I am he,
   even when you turn grey I will carry you.
I have made, and I will bear;
   I will carry and will save.

To whom will you liken me and make me equal,
   and compare me, as though we were alike?
Those who lavish gold from the purse,
   and weigh out silver in the scales—
they hire a goldsmith, who makes it into a god;
   then they fall down and worship!
They lift it to their shoulders, they carry it,
   they set it in its place, and it stands there;
   it cannot move from its place.
If one cries out to it, it does not answer
   or save anyone from trouble.

Remember this and consider,
   recall it to mind, you transgressors,
   remember the former things of old;
for I am God, and there is no other;
   I am God, and there is no one like me,
declaring the end from the beginning
   and from ancient times things not yet done,
saying, ‘My purpose shall stand,
   and I will fulfil my intention’,
calling a bird of prey from the east,
   the man for my purpose from a far country.
I have spoken, and I will bring it to pass;
   I have planned, and I will do it.

Listen to me, you stubborn of heart,
   you who are far from deliverance:
I bring near my deliverance, it is not far off,
   and my salvation will not tarry;
I will put salvation in Zion,
   for Israel my glory.

HYMN
Words: Damian Lundy (1940-1997) © 1978 Kevin Mayhew Ltd
Tune: Orientis partibus

Mother of God's living Word,
glorifying Christ your Lord;
full of joy, God's people sing,
grateful for your mothering.

Virgin soil, untouched by sin,
for God's seed to flourish in;
watered by the Spirit's dew,
in your womb the Saviour grew.

Sharing his humility,
Bethlehem and Calvary,
with him in his bitter pain,
now as queen with him you reign.

We are God's new chosen race,
new-born children of his grace,
citizens of heaven who
imitate and honour you.

We, God's people on our way,
travelling by night and day,
moving to our promised land,
walk beside you hand in hand.

Christ, your Son, is always near,
so we journey without fear,
singing as we walk along:
Christ our joy, and Christ our song!

Sing aloud to Christ with joy,
who was once a little boy,
Sing aloud to Mary, sing,
grateful for her mothering.

SECOND READING [Ephesians 1: 3-6,11-12]:

Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us in Christ with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places, just as he chose us in Christ before the foundation of the world to be holy and blameless before him in love. He destined us for adoption as his children through Jesus Christ, according to the good pleasure of his will, to the praise of his glorious grace that he freely bestowed on us in the Beloved. In Christ we have also obtained an inheritance, having been destined according to the purpose of him who accomplishes all things according to his counsel and will, so that we, who were the first to set our hope on Christ, might live for the praise of his glory.

As we pray to God, the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ,
we say with Mary:

Lord, have mercy on those who fear you.
Holy is your name.

Your prophet of old foretold a day when a virgin would
conceive and bear a son who would be called
God-with-us. Help us to look forward to your
deliverance and to seek the fulness of your kingdom.

Lord, have mercy on those who fear you.
Holy is your name.

Your angel declared to Mary that she was to be the
mother of the Saviour. Help every Christian person to
be open to your word and obedient to your will.

Lord, have mercy on those who fear you.
Holy is your name.

Mary rejoiced with Elizabeth, and sang your praise, `My
soul proclaims the greatness of the Lord.' Help us to
live joyful lives that sing your praise.

Lord, have mercy on those who fear you.
Holy is your name.

Mary bore a son of David's line, born a king whose
reign would never end. Bless all the nations of the
world with Christ's gift of peace.
Lord, have mercy on those who fear you.
Holy is your name.

The child Jesus grew in wisdom and stature in the home
of Mary and Joseph. Strengthen our homes and families,
and keep under your protection (... and) all those whom
we love.

Lord, have mercy on those who fear you.
    - Holy is your name.

At the foot of the cross of Christ stood his mother,
and from the cross she received his lifeless body in
her arms. Give comfort and healing to (... and) all who
suffer and all who watch the suffering of those they
love.

Lord, have mercy on those who fear you.
Holy is your name.

The apostle John saw a vision of a woman in heaven,
robed with the sun. Bring us with (... and) all those
who have died in the faith of Christ to share the joy
of heaven with Mary and all the saints.

Lord, have mercy on those who fear you.
Holy is your name.

O God,
who appointed the Blessed Virgin Mary
while yet in her mother’s womb
to be the Mother of our Lord,
grant that with her
we may share full adoption
into the life of your heavenly family;

Awaiting his coming in glory,

May God the Holy Spirit,
by whose working the Virgin Mary conceived the Christ,
help us to bring the needs of this world
to the healing presence of Jesus Christ our Lord, Amen.

The intercession is from _Enriching the Christian Year_  SPCK,
compilation (c)Michael Perham 1993.

The collect and closing sentence are from For All The Saints (Revised Edition), Anglican Church of Canada.

This festival in honour of the conception of the mother of our Lord is
celebrated on this day in both the eastern and the western Church. This feast,
which dates from the seventh century, acknowledges the preparation by God of
his people to receive their Saviour and Lord, putting 'heaven in ordinary' and
showing that mortal flesh can indeed bring Christ to the world. [Exciting
Holiness]