OREMUS: 1 September 2011

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Wed Aug 31 22:09:37 GMT 2011

OREMUS for September 1

Blessed are you, great and merciful God!
Your life is the source of life;
your mercy is our only hope;
your eyes watch over all your creatures;
you know the secrets of our hearts.

Happy are they who have not walked
   in the counsel of the wicked,*
 nor lingered in the way of sinners,
   nor sat in the seats of the scornful!
Their delight is in the law of the Lord,*
 and they meditate on his law day and night.
They are like trees planted by streams of water,
   bearing fruit in due season,
   with leaves that do not wither;*
 everything they do shall prosper.
It is not so with the wicked:*
 they are like chaff which the wind blows away;
Therefore the wicked shall not stand upright
   when judgement comes,*
 nor the sinner in the council of the righteous.
For the Lord knows the way of the righteous,*
 but the way of the wicked is doomed.

Psalm 2

Why are the nations in an uproar?*
 Why do the peoples mutter empty threats?
Why do the kings of the earth rise up in revolt
   and the princes plot together,*
 against the Lord and against his anointed?
'Let us break their yoke', they say;*
 'let us cast off their bonds from us.'
He whose throne is in heaven is laughing;*
 the Lord has them in derision.
Then he speaks to them in his wrath*
 and his rage fills them with terror.
'I myself have set my king*
 upon my holy hill of Zion.'
Let me announce the decree of the Lord:*
 he said to me, 'You are my Son;
   this day have I begotten you.
'Ask of me and I will give you the nations for
   your inheritance*
 and the ends of the earth for your possession.
'You shall crush them with an iron rod*
 and shatter them like a piece of pottery.'
And now, you kings, be wise;*
 be warned, you rulers of the earth.
Submit to the Lord with fear,*
 and with trembling bow before him;
Lest he be angry and you perish;*
 for his wrath is quickly kindled.
Happy are they all*
 who take refuge in him!

Psalm 3

Lord, how many adversaries I have!*
 how many there are who rise up against me!
How many there are who say of me,*
 'There is no help for him in his God.'
But you, O Lord, are a shield about me;*
 you are my glory, the one who lifts up my head.
I call aloud upon the Lord*
 and he answers me from his holy hill;
I lie down and go to sleep;*
 I wake again, because the Lord sustains me.
I do not fear the multitudes of people*
 who set themselves against me all around.
Rise up, O Lord; set me free, O my God;*
 surely, you will strike all my enemies across the face,
   you will break the teeth of the wicked.
Deliverance belongs to the Lord.*
 Your blessing be upon your people!

Psalm 4

Answer me when I call, O God, defender of my cause;*
 you set me free when I am hardpressed;
   have mercy on me and hear my prayer.
'You mortals, how long will you dishonour my glory;*
 how long will you worship dumb idols
   and run after false gods?'
Know that the Lord does wonders for the faithful;*
 when I call upon the Lord, he will hear me.
Tremble, then, and do not sin;*
 speak to your heart in silence upon your bed.
Offer the appointed sacrifices*
 and put your trust in the Lord.
Many are saying,
'O that we might see better times!'*
 Lift up the light of your countenance upon us, O Lord.
You have put gladness in my heart,*
 more than when grain and wine and oil increase.
I lie down in peace; at once I fall asleep;*
 for only you, Lord, make me dwell in safety.

Psalm 5

Give ear to my words, O Lord;*
 consider my meditation.
Hearken to my cry for help, my King and my God,*
 for I make my prayer to you.
In the morning, Lord, you hear my voice;*
 early in the morning I make my appeal
   and watch for you.
For you are not a God who takes pleasure in wickedness*
 and evil cannot dwell with you.
Braggarts cannot stand in your sight;*
 you hate all those who work wickedness.
You destroy those who speak lies;*
 the bloodthirsty and deceitful, O Lord, you abhor.
But as for me, through the greatness of your mercy,
   I will go into your house;*
 I will bow down towards your holy temple in awe of you.
Lead me, O Lord, in your righteousness,
   because of those who lie in wait for me;*
 make your way straight before me.
For there is no truth in their mouth;*
 there is destruction in their heart;
Their throat is an open grave;*
 they flatter with their tongue.
Declare them guilty, O God;*
 let them fall, because of their schemes.
Because of their many transgressions cast them out,*
 for they have rebelled against you.
But all who take refuge in you will be glad;*
 they will sing out their joy for ever.
You will shelter them,*
 so that those who love your name may exult in you.
For you, O Lord, will bless the righteous;*
 you will defend them with your favour as with a shield.

FIRST READING [Ecclus 4.11–28]:

Wisdom teaches her children
   and gives help to those who seek her.
Whoever loves her loves life,
   and those who seek her from early morning are filled with joy.
Whoever holds her fast inherits glory,
   and the Lord blesses the place she enters.
Those who serve her minister to the Holy One;
   the Lord loves those who love her.
Those who obey her will judge the nations,
   and all who listen to her will live secure.
If they remain faithful, they will inherit her;
   their descendants will also obtain her.
For at first she will walk with them on tortuous paths;
   she will bring fear and dread upon them,
and will torment them by her discipline
   until she trusts them,
and she will test them with her ordinances.
Then she will come straight back to them again and gladden them,
   and will reveal her secrets to them.
If they go astray she will forsake them,
   and hand them over to their ruin.

Watch for the opportune time, and beware of evil,
   and do not be ashamed to be yourself.
For there is a shame that leads to sin,
   and there is a shame that is glory and favour.
Do not show partiality, to your own harm,
   or deference, to your downfall.
Do not refrain from speaking at the proper moment,
   and do not hide your wisdom.
For wisdom becomes known through speech,
   and education through the words of the tongue.
Never speak against the truth,
   but be ashamed of your ignorance.
Do not be ashamed to confess your sins,
   and do not try to stop the current of a river.
Do not subject yourself to a fool,
   or show partiality to a ruler.
Fight to the death for truth,
   and the Lord God will fight for you.

HYMN
Words: Samuel Medley (1738-1799)
Meter: Ariel (886 D)

Come, let us sing thy matchless worth
and sweetly sound the glories forth
which in the Saviour shine:
to God and Christ our praises bring
the song with which high heav'n will ring,
praises for grace divine.
Praises for grace divine.

How rich the precious blood he spilt,
our ransom from the dreadful guilt
of sin against our God;
how perfect is that righteousness,
in which unspotted beauteous dress
his saints have ever stood!
His saints have ever stood!

How rich the character he bears,
and all the from of love he wears,
exalted on the throne;
in songs of sweet untiring praise,
We e'er would sing his perfect ways,
and make his glories known,
and make his glories known.

And soon the happy day shall come,
when we shall reach our destined home,
and see him face to face;
then with our Saviour, Lord and Friend,
the one unbroken day we'll spend
in singing still his grace,
in singing still his grace.

SECOND READING [Mark 10.32–45]:

They were on the road, going up to Jerusalem, and Jesus was walking ahead of them; they were amazed, and those who followed were afraid. He took the twelve aside again and began to tell them what was to happen to him, saying, 'See, we are going up to Jerusalem, and the Son of Man will be handed over to the chief priests and the scribes, and they will condemn him to death; then they will hand him over to the Gentiles; they will mock him, and spit upon him, and flog him, and kill him; and after three days he will rise again.'

James and John, the sons of Zebedee, came forward to him and said to him, 'Teacher, we want you to do for us whatever we ask of you.' And he said to them, 'What is it you want me to do for you?' And they said to him, 'Grant us to sit, one at your right hand and one at your left, in your glory.' But Jesus said to them, 'You do not know what you are asking. Are you able to drink the cup that I drink, or be baptized with the baptism that I am baptized with?' They replied, 'We are able.' Then Jesus said to them, 'The cup that I drink you will drink; and with the baptism with which I am baptized, you will be baptized; but to sit at my right hand or at my left is not mine to grant, but it is for those for whom it has been prepared.'

When the ten heard this, they began to be angry with James and John. So Jesus called them and said to them, 'You know that among the Gentiles those whom they recognize as their rulers lord it over them, and their great ones are tyrants over them. But it is not so among you; but whoever wishes to become great among you must be your servant, and whoever wishes to be first among you must be slave of all. For the Son of Man came not to be served but to serve, and to give his life a ransom for many.'

We pray for the use of God's gifts to his Church, saying
Jesus, Lord of your Church:
in your mercy, hear us

God our Father,
you give us gifts that we may work together
in the service of your Son:
Bless those who lead,
that they may be firm in faith,
yet humble before you.
We pray especially for the people of the Diocese
Jesus, Lord of your Church:
in your mercy hear us.

Bless those who teach,
that they may increase our understanding,
and be open to your word for them:
Jesus, Lord of your Church:
in your mercy hear us.

Bless those who minister healing,
that they may bring wholeness to other,
yet know your healing in themselves:
Jesus, Lord of your Church:
in your mercy hear us.

Bless those through whom you speak,
that they may proclaim your word in power,
yet have their ears open to your gentle whisper:
Jesus, Lord of your Church:
in your mercy hear us.

Bless those who work in your world today
that they may live for you, fulfil your purposes,
and seek your kingdom first
in the complexity of their daily lives.
Jesus, Lord of your Church:
in your mercy hear us.

Bless those who feel they have no gifts and are not valued,
and those who are powerless by the world's standards,
that they may share their experience
of the work of your Spirit.
Jesus, Lord of your Church:
in your mercy hear us.

O God, whose Son has shown the way of the cross to be the way of life: Transform and renew our minds that we may not be conformed to this world but may offer ourselves wholly to you as a living sacrifice through Jesus Christ our Savior; who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, now and forever. Amen.

Keep us true to the path of justice
and give us the reward promised to those
who make  place for the rejected and the poor. Amen.

The opening prayer is from _Chalice Worship_, (c) Chalice Press, 1997. Reproduced with permission. The closing prayer is in _Opening Prayers: Collects in Contemporary Language_. Canterbury Press, Norwich, 1999.