OREMUS: 13 August 2011

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Fri Aug 12 17:00:00 GMT 2011

OREMUS for August 13
Jeremy Taylor, Bishop of Down and Connor, Teacher of the Faith, 1667

Blessed are you, Creator, Redeemer and Savior God,
in you is the fullness of goodness, mercy, and gentleness.
You alone are just and holy, innocent and pure.
Only in you is all pardon, all grace and all glory,
without beginning and without end.

Save me, O God,*
 for the waters have risen up to my neck.
I am sinking in deep mire,*
 and there is no firm ground for my feet.
I have come into deep waters,*
 and the torrent washes over me.
I have grown weary with my crying;
   my throat is inflamed;*
 my eyes have failed from looking for my God.
Those who hate me without a cause
   are more than the hairs of my head;
   my lying foes who would destroy me are mighty.*
 Must I then give back what I never stole?
O God, you know my foolishness,*
 and my faults are not hidden from you.
Let not those who hope in you
   be put to shame through me, Lord God of hosts;*
 let not those who seek you be disgraced because of me,
   O God of Israel.
Surely, for your sake have I suffered reproach,*
 and shame has covered my face.
I have become a stranger to my own kindred,*
 an alien to my mother's children.
Zeal for your house has eaten me up;*
 the scorn of those who scorn you has fallen upon me.
I humbled myself with fasting,*
 but that was turned to my reproach.
I put on sackcloth also,*
 and became a byword among them.
Those who sit at the gate murmur against me,*
 and the drunkards make songs about me.
But as for me, this is my prayer to you,*
 at the time you have set, O Lord:
'In your great mercy, O God,*
 answer me with your unfailing help.
'Save me from the mire; do not let me sink;*
 let me be rescued from those who hate me
   and out of the deep waters.
'Let not the torrent of waters wash over me,
   neither let the deep swallow me up;*
 do not let the Pit shut its mouth upon me.
'Answer me, O Lord, for your love is kind;*
 in your great compassion, turn to me.
'Hide not your face from your servant;*
 be swift and answer me, for I am in distress.
'Draw near to me and redeem me;*
 because of my enemies deliver me.
'You know my reproach, my shame and my dishonour;*
 my adversaries are all in your sight.'
Reproach has broken my heart and it cannot be healed;*
 I looked for sympathy, but there was none,
   for comforters, but I could find no one.
They gave me gall to eat,*
 and when I was thirsty, they gave me vinegar to drink.
As for me, I am afflicted and in pain;*
 your help, O God, will lift me up on high.
I will praise the name of God in song;*
 I will proclaim his greatness with thanksgiving.
This will please the Lord more than an offering of oxen,*
 more than bullocks with horns and hoofs.
The afflicted shall see and be glad;*
 you who seek God, your heart shall live.
For the Lord listens to the needy,*
 and his prisoners he does not despise.
Let the heavens and the earth praise him,*
 the seas and all that moves in them;
For God will save Zion and rebuild the cities of Judah;*
 they shall live there and have it in possession.
The children of his servants will inherit it,*
 and those who love his name will dwell therein.

Psalm 70

Be pleased, O God, to deliver me;*
 O Lord, make haste to help me.
Let those who seek my life
   be ashamed and altogether dismayed;*
 let those who take pleasure in my misfortune
   draw back and be disgraced.
Let those who say to me 'Aha!'
   and gloat over me turn back,*
 because they are ashamed.
Let all who seek you rejoice and be glad in you;*
 let those who love your salvation say for ever,
   'Great is the Lord!'
But as for me, I am poor and needy;*
 come to me speedily, O God.
You are my helper and my deliverer;*
 O Lord, do not tarry.

FIRST READING [Zechariah 10]:

Ask rain from the Lord
   in the season of the spring rain,
from the Lord who makes the storm-clouds,
   who gives showers of rain to you,
   the vegetation in the field to everyone.
For the teraphim utter nonsense,
   and the diviners see lies;
the dreamers tell false dreams,
   and give empty consolation.
Therefore the people wander like sheep;
   they suffer for lack of a shepherd.

My anger is hot against the shepherds,
   and I will punish the leaders;
for the Lord of hosts cares for his flock, the house of Judah,
   and will make them like his proud warhorse.
Out of them shall come the cornerstone,
   out of them the tent-peg,
out of them the battle-bow,
   out of them every commander.
Together they shall be like warriors in battle,
   trampling the foe in the mud of the streets;
they shall fight, for the Lord is with them,
   and they shall put to shame the riders on horses.

I will strengthen the house of Judah,
   and I will save the house of Joseph.
I will bring them back because I have compassion on them,
   and they shall be as though I had not rejected them;
   for I am the Lord their God and I will answer them.
Then the people of Ephraim shall become like warriors,
   and their hearts shall be glad as with wine.
Their children shall see it and rejoice,
   their hearts shall exult in the Lord.

I will signal for them and gather them in,
   for I have redeemed them,
   and they shall be as numerous as they were before.
Though I scattered them among the nations,
   yet in far countries they shall remember me,
   and they shall rear their children and return.
I will bring them home from the land of Egypt,
   and gather them from Assyria;
I will bring them to the land of Gilead and to Lebanon,
   until there is no room for them.
They shall pass through the sea of distress,
   and the waves of the sea shall be struck down,
   and all the depths of the Nile dried up.
The pride of Assyria shall be laid low,
   and the sceptre of Egypt shall depart.
I will make them strong in the Lord,
   and they shall walk in his name,
says the Lord.

HYMN
Words: Jeremy Taylor (1613-1667)
Music: Ich wart' auf dich (10 10 10 10)

Descend to thy Jerusalem, O Lord,
Her faithful children cry with one accord;
Come, ride in triumph on; behold we lay
Our guilty lusts and proud wills in thy way.

Thy road is ready, Lord; thy paths made straight,
In longing expectation seem to wait
The consecration of thy beauteous feet,
And hark, hosannas loud thy footsteps greet.

Welcome, O welcome to our hearts, Lord; here
Thou hast a temple, too, and full as dear
As that in Zion, and as full of sin;
How long shall thieves and robbers dwell therein?

Enter and chase them forth, and cleanse the floor;
Destroy their strength, that they may never more
Profane with traffic vile that holy place
Which thou hast chosen, there to set thy face.

And then, if our stiff tongues shall silent be
In praises of thy finished victory,
The temple stones shall cry, and loud repeat
'Hosanna!' and thy gracious footsteps greet.

SECOND READING [Mark 6.30–44]:

The apostles gathered around Jesus, and told him all that they had done and taught. He said to them, 'Come away to a deserted place all by yourselves and rest a while.' For many were coming and going, and they had no leisure even to eat. And they went away in the boat to a deserted place by themselves. Now many saw them going and recognized them, and they hurried there on foot from all the towns and arrived ahead of them. As he went ashore, he saw a great crowd; and he had compassion for them, because they were like sheep without a shepherd; and he began to teach them many things. When it grew late, his disciples came to him and said, 'This is a deserted place, and the hour is now very late; send them away so that they may go into the surrounding country and villages and buy something for themselves to eat.' But he answered them, 'You give them something to eat.' They said to him, 'Are we to go and buy two hundred denarii worth of bread, and give it to them to eat?' And he said to them, 'How many loaves have you? Go and see.' When they had found out, they said, 'Five, and two fish.' Then he ordered them to get all the people to sit down in groups on the green grass. So they sat down in groups of hundreds and of fifties. Taking the five loaves and the two fish, he looked up to heaven, and blessed and broke the loaves, and gave them to his disciples to set before the people; and he divided the two fish among them all. And all ate and were filled; and they took up twelve baskets full of broken pieces and of the fish. Those who had eaten the loaves numbered five thousand men.

Lord of our lives,
we have decided to follow Jesus
and have chosen to be in your Kingdom.
Give us courage, discernment and an unwavering faith.

We pray for your Church throughout the world,
Shed forth your spirit of discipleship upon us.

When we are uncertain,
reveal a vision.

When we are passive,
light a fire.

When we are tempted,
send your Spirit.

Holy Jesus,
give me the gift and spirit of prayer;
and by your gracious intercession supply my ignorance,
and passionate desires, and imperfect choices;
procuring and giving me those returns of favour
which supply my needs and serve your Spirit's purpose,
chosen by your wisdom and purchased by your passion,
and bestowed in your grace to all your saints and servants. Amen.

Holy and loving God,
you dwell in the human heart
and make us partakers of the divine nature
in Christ our great high priest:
help us who remember your servant Jeremy Taylor
to put our trust in your heavenly promises
and follow a holy life in virtue and true godliness;

Let no riches make me ever forget myself,
no poverty ever make me to forget thee:
let no hope or fear, no pleasure or pain,
no accident without, no weakness within,
hinder or discompose my duty, or turn me
from the ways of thy commandments.
O, let thy Spirit dwell with me for ever,
and make my soul just and charitable,
full of honesty, full of religion,
resolute and constant in holy purposes,
but inflexible to evil.
Make me humble and obedient, peaceable and pious;
let me never envy any man's goods,
nor deserve to be despised myself:
and if I be, teach me to bear it with meekness and charity. Amen.

The opening prayer is based on a prayer by Saint Francis. The first collect and closing sentence are by Jeremy Taylor.

Jeremy Taylor was born in Cambridge in 1613 and educated there at Gonville & Caius College. He was ordained in 1633 and, as the Civil War got under way, he became a chaplain with the Royalist forces. He was captured and imprisoned briefly but after his release went to Wales, where the Earl of Carbery gave him refuge. He wrote prolifically whilst there, notably The Rule and Exercise of Holy Living in 1650 and of Holy Dying the following year. In 1658 he went to Ireland to lecture and two years later was made Bishop of Down and Connor. He found many of his clergy held to Presbyterianism and so ignored him; and the Romans rejected him as a Protestant. In turn, he treated both sides harshly. His health was worn down by the protracted conflicts and he died on this day in 1667. [Exciting Holiness]