OREMUS: 26 April 2011

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Mon Apr 25 17:00:00 GMT 2011

OREMUS for April 26

Blessed are you, O God of majesty,
and blessed is Jesus Christ, your Son, our Lord,
whom you sent to save us.
He came with healing in his touch
and was wounded for our sins.
He came with mercy in his voice
and was mocked as one despised.
He came with peace in his heart
and met with violence and death.
By your power he broke free from the prison of the tomb,
and at his command the gates of hell were opened.
The one who was dead now lives.
For these and all your wondrous acts, we praise you:
Father, Son, and Holy Spirit:
Blessed be God for ever! Alleluia!

I call with my whole heart;*
 answer me, O Lord, that I may keep your statutes.
I call to you; O that you would save me!*
 I will keep your decrees.
Early in the morning I cry out to you,*
 for in your word is my trust.
My eyes are open in the night watches,*
 that I may meditate upon your promise.
Hear my voice, O Lord,
   according to your lovingkindness;*
 according to your judgements, give me life.
They draw near who in malice persecute me;*
 they are very far from your law.
You, O Lord, are near at hand,*
 and all your commandments are true.
Long have I known from your decrees*
 that you have established them for ever.

Behold my affliction and deliver me,*
 for I do not forget your law.
Plead my cause and redeem me;*
 according to your promise, give me life.
Deliverance is far from the wicked,*
 for they do not study your statutes.
Great is your compassion, O Lord;*
 preserve my life, according to your judgements.
There are many who persecute and oppress me,*
 yet I have not swerved from your decrees.
I look with loathing at the faithless,*
 for they have not kept your word.
See how I love your commandments!*
 O Lord, in your mercy, preserve me.
The heart of your word is truth;*
 all your righteous judgements endure for evermore.

Rulers have persecuted me without a cause,*
 but my heart stands in awe of your word.
I am as glad because of your promise*
 as one who finds great spoils.
As for lies, I hate and abhor them,*
 but your law is my love.
Seven times a day do I praise you,*
 because of your righteous judgements.
Great peace have they who love your law;*
 for them there is no stumbling block.
I have hoped for your salvation, O Lord,*
 and I have fulfilled your commandments.
I have kept your decrees*
 and I have loved them deeply.
I have kept your commandments and decrees,*
 for all my ways are before you.
Let my cry come before you, O Lord;*
 give me understanding, according to your word.
Let my supplication come before you;*
 deliver me, according to your promise.
My lips shall pour forth your praise,*
 when you teach me your statutes.
My tongue shall sing of your promise,*
 for all your commandments are righteous.
Let your hand be ready to help me,*
 for I have chosen your commandments.
I long for your salvation, O Lord,*
 and your law is my delight.
Let me live and I will praise you,*
 and let your judgements help me.
I have gone astray like a sheep that is lost;*
 search for your servant,
   for I do not forget your commandments.

FIRST READING [Deuteronomy 9.23–10.5]:

And when the Lord sent you from Kadesh-barnea, saying, 'Go up and occupy the land that I have given you', you rebelled against the command of the Lord your God, neither trusting him nor obeying him. You have been rebellious against the Lord as long as he has known you.

Throughout the forty days and forty nights that I lay prostrate before the Lord when the Lord intended to destroy you, I prayed to the Lord and said, 'Lord God, do not destroy the people who are your very own possession, whom you redeemed in your greatness, whom you brought out of Egypt with a mighty hand. Remember your servants, Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob; pay no attention to the stubbornness of this people, their wickedness and their sin, otherwise the land from which you have brought us might say, “Because the Lord was not able to bring them into the land that he promised them, and because he hated them, he has brought them out to let them die in the wilderness.” For they are the people of your very own possession, whom you brought out by your great power and by your outstretched arm.'

At that time the Lord said to me, 'Carve out two tablets of stone like the former ones, and come up to me on the mountain, and make an ark of wood. I will write on the tablets the words that were on the former tablets, which you smashed, and you shall put them in the ark.' So I made an ark of acacia wood, cut two tablets of stone like the former ones, and went up the mountain with the two tablets in my hand. Then he wrote on the tablets the same words as before, the ten commandments that the Lord had spoken to you on the mountain out of the fire on the day of the assembly; and the Lord gave them to me. So I turned and came down from the mountain, and put the tablets in the ark that I had made; and there they are, as the Lord commanded me.

HYMN
Words: Thomas Kelly (1769-1855)
Tune: Bryn Calfaria, Cwm Rhondda, Neander, Regent Square, St Audrey

Look, ye saints, the sight is glorious;
see the Man of Sorrows now,
from the fight returned victorious;
every knee to him shall bow:
Crown him! Crown him!
Crowns become the victor's brow.

Crown the Saviour, angels crown him,
rich the trophies Jesus brings;
in the seat of power enthrone him,
while the vault of heaven rings.
Crown him! Crown him!
Crown the Saviour, King of kings!

Sinners in derision crowned him,
mocking thus the Saviour's claim;
saints and angels throng around him,
own his title, praise his name.
Crown him! Crown him!
Spread abroad the victor's fame.

Hark, those bursts of acclamation!
Hark, those loud triumphant chords!
Jesus takes the highest station:
O what joy the sight affords.
Crown him! Crown him!
King of kings, and Lord of lords!

SECOND READING [Romans 14.1–12]:

Welcome those who are weak in faith, but not for the purpose of quarrelling over opinions. Some believe in eating anything, while the weak eat only vegetables. Those who eat must not despise those who abstain, and those who abstain must not pass judgement on those who eat; for God has welcomed them. Who are you to pass judgement on servants of another? It is before their own lord that they stand or fall. And they will be upheld, for the Lord is able to make them stand.

Some judge one day to be better than another, while others judge all days to be alike. Let all be fully convinced in their own minds. Those who observe the day, observe it in honour of the Lord. Also those who eat, eat in honour of the Lord, since they give thanks to God; while those who abstain, abstain in honour of the Lord and give thanks to God.

We do not live to ourselves, and we do not die to ourselves. If we live, we live to the Lord, and if we die, we die to the Lord; so then, whether we live or whether we die, we are the Lord's. For to this end Christ died and lived again, so that he might be Lord of both the dead and the living.

Why do you pass judgement on your brother or sister? Or you, why do you despise your brother or sister? For we will all stand before the judgement seat of God. For it is written,
'As I live, says the Lord, every knee shall bow to me,
   and every tongue shall give praise to God.'
So then, each of us will be accountable to God.

O Sun of righteousness,
you came forth from the dark night of death.
May you rise also in our hearts,
and enable us to contemplate the glories
of this sacred mystery,
that we may praise and glorify you for ever.
Lord of life, hear our prayer.

O Prince of Life,
you take away the old leaven of malice and evil
that we may always walk with you and serve you:
Abide continually with us,
that in everything we do we may not forget the joy of your resurrection.
Lord of life, hear our prayer.

O Paschal Lamb, offered for all,
you have taken away the sin of the world
and by rising again you have restored to us everlasting life.
Send laborers into the harvest
to proclaim the life you offer to those who believe.
We pray especially for
Lord of life, hear our prayer.

O Conqueror of death and captain of our salvation,
you overcame the darkness of death
and opened the kingdom of heaven for all believers.
We thank you for those saints whom you have already led
through death to life in the glory of heaven.
Lord of life, hear our prayer.

Grant, O Lord, to your servants,
that they may stand fast in one spirit,
with one mind striving for the faith of the Gospel,
that they may be terrified in nothing
and be bold in Christ,
who lives and reigns for ever. Amen.

Rejoicing in the God's new creation,

As Christ burst forth from the tomb,
may new life burst forth from us
and show itself in acts of love and healing to a hurting world. Amen.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving and closing sentence reprinted by permission from _The Worship Sourcebook_, (c) 2004 CRC Publications.