OREMUS: 8 September 2010

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Tue Sep 7 20:09:23 GMT 2010

OREMUS for Wednesday, September 8, 2010
The Birth of the Blessed Virgin Mary

Blessed are you, God of wonder and might,
for the day when the Mother of your Son,
Mary pure and glorious,
was born into the world.
We praise you for her humility and acceptance of your will
which allowed her to become the portal
of that joyful light, Jesus Christ,
who leads us back to our eternal home.

O Lord, do not rebuke me in your anger;*
 do not punish me in your wrath.
For your arrows have already pierced me,*
 and your hand presses hard upon me.
There is no health in my flesh,
   because of your indignation;*
 there is no soundness in my body, because of my sin.
For my iniquities overwhelm me;*
 like a heavy burden they are too much for me to bear.
My wounds stink and fester*
 by reason of my foolishness.
I am utterly bowed down and prostrate;*
 I go about in mourning all the day long.
My loins are filled with searing pain;*
 there is no health in my body.
I am utterly numb and crushed;*
 I wail, because of the groaning of my heart.
O Lord, you know all my desires,*
 and my sighing is not hidden from you.
My heart is pounding, my strength has failed me,*
 and the brightness of my eyes is gone from me.
My friends and companions draw back from my affliction;*
 my neighbours stand afar off.
Those who seek after my life lay snares for me;*
 those who strive to hurt me speak of my ruin
   and plot treachery all the day long.
But I am like the deaf who do not hear,*
 like those who are mute and do not open their mouth.
I have become like one who does not hear*
 and from whose mouth comes no defence.
For in you, O Lord, have I fixed my hope;*
 you will answer me, O Lord my God.
For I said, 'Do not let them rejoice at my expense,*
 those who gloat over me when my foot slips.'
Truly, I am on the verge of falling,*
 and my pain is always with me.
I will confess my iniquity*
 and be sorry for my sin.
Those who are my enemies without cause are mighty,*
 and many in number are those who wrongfully hate me.
Those who repay evil for good slander me,*
 because I follow the course that is right.
O Lord, do not forsake me;*
 be not far from me, O my God.
Make haste to help me,*
 O Lord of my salvation.

Psalm 39

I said, 'I will keep watch upon my ways,*
 so that I do not offend with my tongue.
'I will put a muzzle on my mouth*
 while the wicked are in my presence.'
So I held my tongue and said nothing;*
 I refrained from rash words;
   but my pain became unbearable.
My heart was hot within me;
   while I pondered, the fire burst into flame;*
 I spoke out with my tongue:
Lord, let me know my end and the number of my days,*
 so that I may know how short my life is.
You have given me a mere handful of days,
   and my lifetime is as nothing in your sight;*
 truly, even those who stand erect are but a puff of wind.
We walk about like a shadow
   and in vain we are in turmoil;*
 we heap up riches and cannot tell who will gather them.
And now, what is my hope?*
 O Lord, my hope is in you.
Deliver me from all my transgressions*
 and do not make me the taunt of the fool.
I fell silent and did not open my mouth,*
 for surely it was you that did it.
Take your affliction from me;*
 I am worn down by the blows of your hand.
With rebukes for sin you punish us;
   like a moth you eat away all that is dear to us;*
 truly, everyone is but a puff of wind.
Hear my prayer, O Lord, and give ear to my cry;*
 hold not your peace at my tears.
For I am but a sojourner with you,*
 a wayfarer, as all my forebears were.
Turn your gaze from me, that I may be glad again,*
 before I go my way and am no more.

Psalm 40

I waited patiently upon the Lord;*
 he stooped to me and heard my cry.
He lifted me out of the desolate pit,
   out of the mire and clay;*
 he set my feet upon a high cliff and made my footing sure.
He put a new song in my mouth,
   a song of praise to our God;*
 many shall see and stand in awe
   and put their trust in the Lord.
Happy are they who trust in the Lord!*
 they do not resort to evil spirits or turn to false gods.
Great things are they that you have done, O Lord my God!
   how great your wonders and your plans for us!*
 there is none who can be compared with you.
O that I could make them known and tell them!*
 but they are more than I can count.
In sacrifice and offering you take no pleasure*
 you have given me ears to hear you;
Burntoffering and sinoffering you have not required,*
 and so I said, 'Behold, I come.
'In the roll of the book it is written concerning me:*
 "I love to do your will, O my God;
 your law is deep in my heart."'
I proclaimed righteousness in the great congregation;*
 behold, I did not restrain my lips;
 and that, O Lord, you know.
Your righteousness have I not hidden in my heart;
   I have spoken of your faithfulness and your deliverance;*
 I have not concealed your love and faithfulness
   from the great congregation.
You are the Lord;
   do not withhold your compassion from me;*
 let your love and your faithfulness keep me safe for ever,
For innumerable troubles have crowded upon me;
   my sins have overtaken me and I cannot see;*
 they are more in number than the hairs of my head,
   and my heart fails me.
Be pleased, O Lord, to deliver me;*
 O Lord, make haste to help me.
Let them be ashamed and altogether dismayed
   who seek after my life to destroy it;*
 let them draw back and be disgraced
   who take pleasure in my misfortune.
Let those who say 'Aha!' and gloat over me be confounded,*
 because they are ashamed.
Let all who seek you rejoice in you and be glad;*
 let those who love your salvation continually say,
   'Great is the Lord!'
Though I am poor and afflicted,*
 the Lord will have regard for me.
You are my helper and my deliverer;*
 do not tarry, O my God.

FIRST READING [Ecclesiasticus 24:17-22]:

Like the vine I bud forth delights,
   and my blossoms become glorious and abundant fruit.
'Come to me, you who desire me,
   and eat your fill of my fruits.
For the memory of me is sweeter than honey,
   and the possession of me sweeter than the honeycomb.
Those who eat of me will hunger for more,
   and those who drink of me will thirst for more.
Whoever obeys me will not be put to shame,
   and those who work with me will not sin.'

HYMN
Words: Latin, fifteenth century; trans. Laurence Housman, 1906
Tune: Collaudemus

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/p/p030.html

Portal of the world's salvation,
lo, a Virgin pure and mild,
humble-hearted, high in station,
form of beauty undefiled,
crown of earth's anticipation,
comes the Mother-maid with child.

Here the serpent's power subduing,
see the bush unburned by fire,
Gideon's fleece of heaven's imbuing,
Aaron's rod of bright attire,
fair, and pure, and peace-ensuing,
spouse of Solomon's desire.

Jesse's branch received its flower,
Mother of Emmanuel,
portal sealed and mystic bower
promised by Ezekiel,
rock of Daniel's dream, whose power
smote, and lo, the image fell!

See in flesh so great a wonder
by the power of God ordained,--
him, whose feet all worlds lay under,
in a Virgin's womb contained;--
so on earth, her bonds to sunder,
righteousness from heaven hath rained.

Virgin sweet, with love o'erflowing,
to the hills in haste she fares;
on a kindred bestowing
blessing from the joy she bears;
waiting while with mystic showing
time the sacred birth prepares.

What fair joy o'ershone that dwelling,
called so great a guest to greet;
what her joy whose love compelling
found a rest for Mary's feet,
when, the bliss of time foretelling,
lo, the Voice and Word did meet!

God most high, the heaven's foundation,
ruler of eternity;
Jesus, who for man's salvation
came in flesh to make us free;
Spirit, moving all creation,
evermore be praise to thee!

SECOND READING [John 2:1-12]:

On the third day there was a wedding in Cana of Galilee, and the mother of Jesus was
there. Jesus and his disciples had also been invited to the wedding. When the wine
gave out, the mother of Jesus said to him, 'They have no wine.' And Jesus said to her,
'Woman, what concern is that to you and to me? My hour has not yet come.' His
mother said to the servants, 'Do whatever he tells you.' Now standing there were six
stone water-jars for the Jewish rites of purification, each holding twenty or thirty
gallons. Jesus said to them, 'Fill the jars with water.' And they filled them up to the
brim. He said to them, 'Now draw some out, and take it to the chief steward.' So they
took it. When the steward tasted the water that had become wine, and did not know
where it came from (though the servants who had drawn the water knew), the steward
called the bridegroom and said to him, 'Everyone serves the good wine first, and then
the inferior wine after the guests have become drunk. But you have kept the good
wine until now.' Jesus did this, the first of his signs, in Cana of Galilee, and revealed
his glory; and his disciples believed in him.
After this he went down to Capernaum with his mother, his brothers, and his disciples;
and they remained there for a few days.

The Holy One of Israel,
the God of might and God of tenderness, is in our midst.
Let us pray to the Lord,
saying: Lord, hear our prayer.

For the Church--
     its members,
     its mission,
     its ministry--
let us pray to the Lord.
Lord, hear our prayer.

For the lowly--
     society's forgotten ones,
     society's neglected ones,
     society's unwanted ones--
let us pray to the Lord.
Lord, hear our prayer.

For the hungry--
     those starving for food and drink,
     those craving attentive care,
     those thirsting for justice--
let us pray to the Lord.
Lord, hear our prayer.

For the persecuted--
     imprisoned for beliefs,
     oppressed by poverty,
     victimized by war and strife--
let us pray to the Lord.
Lord, hear our prayer.

For care and healing--
     for the brokenhearted,
     for the despairing,
     for the terrorized--
let us pray to the Lord.
Lord, hear our prayer.

Your kingdom come, O Lord,
with deliverance for the needy,
with peace for the righteous,
with overflowing blessings for all nations,
with glory, honour and praise
   for the only Saviour,
Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Almighty God,
who with special grace made the blessed Virgin Mary
to be the mother of your only Son:
by the same grace make us holy in body and soul
and ever preserve in us your gifts of humility and love;

May God make safe to us each step,
May God open to us each door,
May God make clear to us each road.
May God enfold us in loving arms.Amen.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving is by Stephen Benner based on phrases in a
prayer from _We Give You Thanks and Praise: The Ambrosian
Eucharistic Prefaces_, translated by Alan Griffiths, (c) The
Canterbury Press Norwich, 1999.

 The closing prayer is adapted from a prayer by Bruce Prewer, 2001.

The Feast of the Birth of the Blessed Virgin Mary has been celebrated in the
Church at least since the 8th Century. The Church's calendar observes the
birthdays of only two saints: Saint John the Baptist (June 24), and Mary,
Mother of Jesus.
There is nothing contained in Scripture about the birth of Mary or her
parentage, though Joseph's lineage is given in the first chapter of the Gospel of
Matthew. The names of Mary's parents, Joachim and Anna, appear in the
apocryphal "Gospel of James", a book dating from the 2nd Century AD, not
part of the authentic canon of Scripture. According to this account, Joachim
and Anna were also beyond the years of child-bearing, but prayed and fasted
that God would grant their desire for a child.
In celebrating the nativity of Mary, Christians anticipate the Incarnation and
birth of her Divine Son, and give honor to the mother of Our Lord and Savior.