OREMUS: 28 October 2010

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Wed Oct 27 17:00:00 GMT 2010

OREMUS for October 28
Saints Simon and Jude, Apostles

for your Son, the eternal Shepherd,
who will never forsake his flock.
We give you thanks for the witness
of the holy apostles and their successors
whom you have called to be shepherds of your Church.

 for his mercy endures for ever.
Give thanks to the God of gods,*
 for his mercy endures for ever.
Give thanks to the Lord of lords,*
 for his mercy endures for ever.
Who only does great wonders,*
 for his mercy endures for ever;
Who by his wisdom made the heavens,*
 for his mercy endures for ever;
Who spread out the earth upon the waters,*
 for his mercy endures for ever;
Who created great lights,*
 for his mercy endures for ever;
The sun to rule the day,*
 for his mercy endures for ever;
The moon and the stars to govern the night,*
 for his mercy endures for ever.
Who struck down the firstborn of Egypt,*
 for his mercy endures for ever;
And brought out Israel from among them,*
 for his mercy endures for ever;
With a mighty hand and a stretchedout arm,*
 for his mercy endures for ever;
Who divided the Red Sea in two,*
 for his mercy endures for ever;
And made Israel to pass through the midst of it,*
 for his mercy endures for ever;
But swept Pharaoh and his army into the Red Sea,*
 for his mercy endures for ever;
Who led his people through the wilderness,*
 for his mercy endures for ever.
Who struck down great kings,*
 for his mercy endures for ever;
And slew mighty kings,*
 for his mercy endures for ever;
Sihon, king of the Amorites,*
 for his mercy endures for ever;
And Og, the king of Bashan,*
 for his mercy endures for ever;
And gave away their lands for an inheritance,*
 for his mercy endures for ever;

An inheritance for Israel his servant,*
 for his mercy endures for ever.
Who remembered us in our low estate,*
 for his mercy endures for ever;
And delivered us from our enemies,*
 for his mercy endures for ever;
Who gives food to all creatures,*
 for his mercy endures for ever;
Give thanks to the God of heaven,*
 for his mercy endures for ever.

Psalm 137

By the waters of Babylon we sat down and wept,*
 when we remembered you, O Zion.
As for our harps, we hung them up*
 on the trees in the midst of that land.
For those who led us away captive asked us for a song,
   and our oppressors called for mirth:*
 'Sing us one of the songs of Zion.'
How shall we sing the Lord's song*
 upon an alien soil?
If I forget you, O Jerusalem,*
 let my right hand forget its skill.
Let my tongue cleave to the roof of my mouth
   if I do not remember you,*
 if I do not set Jerusalem above my highest joy.
Remember the day of Jerusalem, O Lord,
   against the people of Edom,*
 who said, ‘Down with it! down with it!
   even to the ground!’
O Daughter of Babylon, doomed to destruction,*
 happy the one who pays you back
   for what you have done to us!
Happy shall he be who takes your little ones,*
 and dashes them against the rock!

 before the gods I will sing your praise.
I will bow down towards your holy temple
   and praise your name,*
 because of your love and faithfulness;
For you have glorified your name*
 and your word above all things.
When I called, you answered me;*
 you increased my strength within me.
All the kings of the earth will praise you, O Lord,*
 when they have heard the words of your mouth.
They will sing of the ways of the Lord,*
 that great is the glory of the Lord.
Though the Lord be high, he cares for the lowly;*
 he perceives the haughty from afar.
Though I walk in the midst of trouble,
   you keep me safe;*
 you stretch forth your hand
   against the fury of my enemies;
   your right hand shall save me.
The Lord will make good his purpose for me;*
 O Lord, your love endures for ever;
   do not abandon the works of your hands.

FIRST READING [Job 6:14–30]:

Job continued, 'Those who withhold kindness from a friend
   forsake the fear of the Almighty.
My companions are treacherous like a torrent-bed,
   like freshets that pass away,
that run dark with ice,
   turbid with melting snow.
In time of heat they disappear;
   when it is hot, they vanish from their place.
The caravans turn aside from their course;
   they go up into the waste, and perish.
The caravans of Tema look,
   the travellers of Sheba hope.
They are disappointed because they were confident;
   they come there and are confounded.
Such you have now become to me;
   you see my calamity, and are afraid.
Have I said, “Make me a gift”?
   Or, “From your wealth offer a bribe for me”?
Or, “Save me from an opponent's hand”?
   Or, “Ransom me from the hand of oppressors”?

'Teach me, and I will be silent;
   make me understand how I have gone wrong.
How forceful are honest words!
   But your reproof, what does it reprove?
Do you think that you can reprove words,
   as if the speech of the desperate were wind?
You would even cast lots over the orphan,
   and bargain over your friend.

'But now, be pleased to look at me;
   for I will not lie to your face.
Turn, I pray, let no wrong be done.
   Turn now, my vindication is at stake.
Is there any wrong on my tongue?
   Cannot my taste discern calamity? '

HYMN
Words: John Ellerton, 1875
Tune: Alleluia dulce carmen, Oriel

Thou who sentest thine apostles
two and two before thy face,
partners in the night of toiling,
heirs together of thy grace,
throned at length, their labors ended,
each in his appointed place;

Praise to thee for thy champions
whom our hymns today proclaim:
one, whose zeal by thee enlightened
burned anew with nobler flame;
one, the kinsman of thy childhood,
brought at last to know thy Name.

Praise to thee! thy fire within them
spake in love and wrought in power:
seen in mighty signs and wonders
in thy Church's morning hour;
heard in tones of sternest warning
when the storms began to lower.

God the Father, great and wondrous
in thy works, to thee be praise;
King of saints, to thee be glory,
just and true in all thy ways;
praise to thee, from Both proceeding,
Holy Ghost, through endless days.

SECOND READING [Matthew 19:1–15]:

When Jesus had finished saying these things, he left Galilee and went to the region of Judea beyond the Jordan. Large crowds followed him, and he cured them there.

Some Pharisees came to him, and to test him they asked, 'Is it lawful for a man to divorce his wife for any cause?' He answered, 'Have you not read that the one who made them at the beginning “made them male and female”, and said, “For this reason a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh”? So they are no longer two, but one flesh. Therefore what God has joined together, let no one separate.' They said to him, 'Why then did Moses command us to give a certificate of dismissal and to divorce her?' He said to them, 'It was because you were so hard-hearted that Moses allowed you to divorce your wives, but at the beginning it was not so. And I say to you, whoever divorces his wife, except for unchastity, and marries another commits adultery.'

His disciples said to him, 'If such is the case of a man with his wife, it is better not to marry.' But he said to them, 'Not everyone can accept this teaching, but only those to whom it is given. For there are eunuchs who have been so from birth, and there are eunuchs who have been made eunuchs by others, and there are eunuchs who have made themselves eunuchs for the sake of the kingdom of heaven. Let anyone accept this who can.'

Then little children were being brought to him in order that he might lay his hands on them and pray. The disciples spoke sternly to those who brought them; but Jesus said, 'Let the little children come to me, and do not stop them; for it is to such as these that the kingdom of heaven belongs.' And he laid his hands on them and went on his way.

Let us pray for the whole people of God in Christ Jesus,
and for all people according to their needs.

Almighty and everlasting God,
we humbly thank you for all the numerous blessings
which you have given us for the benefit of both body and soul.
Though we are worthy of none of your blessings,
you still abundantly provide according to your will.
By your grace, continue to grant all that your people need
for time and eternity.
Lord, in your mercy,
hear our prayer.

O Lord,
we praise you especially for preserving your Word and Sacraments
throughout the generations by your apostles and their successors.
Give to all bishops and to all who hear them zeal for the truth,
so that they may always proclaim and promote the Gospel
and bring the good news of salvation to more people in our generation.
Lord, in your mercy,
hear our prayer.

Faithful Father, continue to nurture and extend your Church on earth
by guiding our choices of those who study for the priesthood.
Let your Spirit work unhindered in all our seminaries and schools.
To all teachers and other servants of the Church
grant faithfulness to their callings,
and to all our people grant a love of your name
and the desire to serve you their whole life long.
Lord, in your mercy,
hear our prayer.

For all the saints who, by your grace, now rest from their labors,
we give you thanks (especially for ____________).
For those saints who are still strangers and pilgrims on earth,
grant protection and power to remain in your Word,
keep the true faith, and live in ways that are fitting for members of your household.

Lord, in your mercy,

you have built your Church on the foundation
of the apostles and prophets
with Jesus Christ himself as the chief cornerstone:
We thank you for the apostles Simon and Jude,
and we pray that we may reveal your love and mercy,
and being joined together in unity of spirit
may grow into a holy temple, acceptable to you;
through our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ;
one God, for ever and ever. Amen.

To Jesus Christ, who loves us
and freed us from our sins by his blood
and made us to be a kingdom,
priests serving his God and Father,
to him be glory and dominion forever and ever. Amen.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving is adapted by Stephen Benner from _We Give
You Thanks and Praise: The Ambrosian Eucharistic Prefaces_, translated by Alan
Griffiths, (c) The Canterbury Press Norwich, 1999.

The intercession is based (heavily adapted) from a prayer by the Lutheran
Church--Missouri Synod.

The collect is from _A Prayer Book for Australia_, (c) 1995, The Anglican
Church of Australia Trust Corporation.

Simon and Jude were named among the twelve apostles in the gospels of Matthew, Mark and Luke. Simon is called 'the Zealot', probably because he belonged to a nationalist resistance movement opposing the Roman occupation forces. There is no indication in the gospels whether Simon moved from the Zealot party to be a follower of Christ or, on the other hand, if after the resurrection he became a supporter of that group, seeing it as a response to God's call to proclaim the kingdom.

Luke describes Jude as the son of James, while the Letter of Jude has him as the brother of James, neither of which negates the other. It seems he is the same person as Thaddæus, which may have been a last name. Owing to the similarity of his name to that of Judas Iscariot, Jude was rarely invoked in prayer and it seems likely that because of this, interceding through him was seen as a final resort when all else failed. He became known, therefore, as the patron saint of lost causes.

The two apostles are joined together on this day because a church, which had recently acquired their relics, was dedicated to their memory in Rome in the seventh century. [Exciting Holiness]