OREMUS: 26 October 2010

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Mon Oct 25 17:00:00 GMT 2010

OREMUS for October 26

Blessed are you, O God.
We praise you for creating this world in all beauty,
for redeeming the world through Christ, our Lord,
and for sending us the gift of your Spirit
to encourage, instruct, and sustain us.
We long for your Spirit to work among us now,
to inspire our praise, to challenge us with your truth,
and to equip us for service in your world.
For these and all your mercies,
we praise you: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit,

I call with my whole heart;*
 answer me, O Lord, that I may keep your statutes.
I call to you; O that you would save me!*
 I will keep your decrees.
Early in the morning I cry out to you,*
 for in your word is my trust.
My eyes are open in the night watches,*
 that I may meditate upon your promise.
Hear my voice, O Lord,
   according to your lovingkindness;*
 according to your judgements, give me life.
They draw near who in malice persecute me;*
 they are very far from your law.
You, O Lord, are near at hand,*
 and all your commandments are true.
Long have I known from your decrees*
 that you have established them for ever.

Behold my affliction and deliver me,*
 for I do not forget your law.
Plead my cause and redeem me;*
 according to your promise, give me life.
Deliverance is far from the wicked,*
 for they do not study your statutes.
Great is your compassion, O Lord;*
 preserve my life, according to your judgements.
There are many who persecute and oppress me,*
 yet I have not swerved from your decrees.
I look with loathing at the faithless,*
 for they have not kept your word.
See how I love your commandments!*
 O Lord, in your mercy, preserve me.
The heart of your word is truth;*
 all your righteous judgements endure for evermore.

Rulers have persecuted me without a cause,*
 but my heart stands in awe of your word.
I am as glad because of your promise*
 as one who finds great spoils.
As for lies, I hate and abhor them,*
 but your law is my love.
Seven times a day do I praise you,*
 because of your righteous judgements.
Great peace have they who love your law;*
 for them there is no stumbling block.
I have hoped for your salvation, O Lord,*
 and I have fulfilled your commandments.
I have kept your decrees*
 and I have loved them deeply.
I have kept your commandments and decrees,*
 for all my ways are before you.
Let my cry come before you, O Lord;*
 give me understanding, according to your word.
Let my supplication come before you;*
 deliver me, according to your promise.
My lips shall pour forth your praise,*
 when you teach me your statutes.
My tongue shall sing of your promise,*
 for all your commandments are righteous.
Let your hand be ready to help me,*
 for I have chosen your commandments.
I long for your salvation, O Lord,*
 and your law is my delight.
Let me live and I will praise you,*
 and let your judgements help me.
I have gone astray like a sheep that is lost;*
 search for your servant,
   for I do not forget your commandments.

FIRST READING [Job 5:1–27]:

Eliphaz continued, 'Call now; is there anyone who will answer you?
To which of the holy ones will you turn?
Surely vexation kills the fool,
   and jealousy slays the simple.
I have seen fools taking root,
   but suddenly I cursed their dwelling.
Their children are far from safety,
   they are crushed in the gate,
   and there is no one to deliver them.
The hungry eat their harvest,
   and they take it even out of the thorns;
   and the thirsty pant after their wealth.
For misery does not come from the earth,
   nor does trouble sprout from the ground;
but human beings are born to trouble
   just as sparks fly upward.

'As for me, I would seek God,
   and to God I would commit my cause.
He does great things and unsearchable,
   marvellous things without number.
He gives rain on the earth
   and sends waters on the fields;
he sets on high those who are lowly,
   and those who mourn are lifted to safety.
He frustrates the devices of the crafty,
   so that their hands achieve no success.
He takes the wise in their own craftiness;
   and the schemes of the wily are brought to a quick end.
They meet with darkness in the daytime,
   and grope at noonday as in the night.
But he saves the needy from the sword of their mouth,
   from the hand of the mighty.
So the poor have hope,
   and injustice shuts its mouth.

'How happy is the one whom God reproves;
   therefore do not despise the discipline of the Almighty.
For he wounds, but he binds up;
   he strikes, but his hands heal.
He will deliver you from six troubles;
   in seven no harm shall touch you.
In famine he will redeem you from death,
   and in war from the power of the sword.
You shall be hidden from the scourge of the tongue,
   and shall not fear destruction when it comes.
At destruction and famine you shall laugh,
   and shall not fear the wild animals of the earth.
For you shall be in league with the stones of the field,
   and the wild animals shall be at peace with you.
You shall know that your tent is safe,
   you shall inspect your fold and miss nothing.
You shall know that your descendants will be many,
   and your offspring like the grass of the earth.
You shall come to your grave in ripe old age,
   as a shock of grain comes up to the threshing-floor in its season.
See, we have searched this out; it is true.
   Hear, and know it for yourself.'

HYMN
Words: Samuel Crossman (1624-1683), 1664
Tune: Love Unknown (John Ireland, 1879-1962)

My song is love unknown,
my Savior's love to me,
love to the loveless shown
that they might lovely be.
O who am I
that for my sake
my Lord should take
frail flesh and die?

He came from his blest throne
salvation to bestow,
but men made strange, and none
the longed-for Christ would know.
But O my friend,
my friend indeed,
who at my need,
his life did spend.

Sometimes they strew his way,
and his strong praises sing,
resounding all the day
hosannas to their King.
Then "Crucify!"
is all their breath,
and for his death
they thirst and cry.

Why, what hath my Lord done?
What makes this rage and spite?
He made the lame to run,
he gave the blind their sight.
Sweet injuries!
Yet they at these
themselves displease,
and 'gainst him rise.

They rise, and needs will have
my dear Lord made away;
a murderer they save,
the Prince of Life they slay.
Yet steadfast he
to suffering goes,
that he his foes
from thence might free.

Here might I stay and sing,
no story so divine:
never was love, dear King,
never was grief like thine.
This is my friend,
in whose sweet praise
I all my days
could gladly spend.

SECOND READING [Matthew 18:1–20]:

At that time the disciples came to Jesus and asked, 'Who is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven?' He called a child, whom he put among them, and said, 'Truly I tell you, unless you change and become like children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. Whoever becomes humble like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven. Whoever welcomes one such child in my name welcomes me.

'If any of you put a stumbling-block before one of these little ones who believe in me, it would be better for you if a great millstone were fastened around your neck and you were drowned in the depth of the sea. Woe to the world because of stumbling-blocks! Occasions for stumbling are bound to come, but woe to the one by whom the stumbling-block comes!

'If your hand or your foot causes you to stumble, cut it off and throw it away; it is better for you to enter life maimed or lame than to have two hands or two feet and to be thrown into the eternal fire. And if your eye causes you to stumble, tear it out and throw it away; it is better for you to enter life with one eye than to have two eyes and to be thrown into the hell of fire.

'Take care that you do not despise one of these little ones; for, I tell you, in heaven their angels continually see the face of my Father in heaven. What do you think? If a shepherd has a hundred sheep, and one of them has gone astray, does he not leave the ninety-nine on the mountains and go in search of the one that went astray? And if he finds it, truly I tell you, he rejoices over it more than over the ninety-nine that never went astray. So it is not the will of your Father in heaven that one of these little ones should be lost.

'If another member of the church sins against you, go and point out the fault when the two of you are alone. If the member listens to you, you have regained that one. But if you are not listened to, take one or two others along with you, so that every word may be confirmed by the evidence of two or three witnesses. If the member refuses to listen to them, tell it to the church; and if the offender refuses to listen even to the church, let such a one be to you as a Gentile and a tax-collector. Truly I tell you, whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven. Again, truly I tell you, if two of you agree on earth about anything you ask, it will be done for you by my Father in heaven. For where two or three are gathered in my name, I am there among them.'

Mighty God of mercy, we thank you for the resurrection
dawn bringing the glory of our risen Lord who makes every
day new. Especially we thank you for
     the beauty of your creation...
                         (We thank you, Lord.)
     the new creation in Christ and all gifts of healing and forgiveness...
     the sustaining love of family and friends...
     the fellowship of faith in your church...

Merciful God of might, renew this weary world, heal the
hurts of all your children, and bring about your peace in
Christ Jesus, the living Lord. Especially we pray for
     those who govern nations of the world...
                         (Lord, hear our prayer.)
     the people in countries ravaged by strife or warfare ...
     all who work for peace and international harmony...
     all who strive to save the earth from destruction...
     the church of Jesus Christ in every land...

O God,
whose Son has taught us
that love is the fulfillment of your law:
Stir up within us the fire of your Holy Spirit,
and pour into our hearts your greatest gift of love,
so that we may love you with our whole being,
and our neighbors as ourselves;
one God, now and forever. Amen.

To Jesus Christ, who loves us
and freed us from our sins by his blood
and made us to be a kingdom,
priests serving his God and Father,
to him be glory and dominion forever and ever. Amen.

The opening prayer is adapted from a prayer in _The Worship Sourcebook_,
(c) 2004, CRC Publications. Used with permission. The closing prayer is Revelation
1:5-6, NRSV

The intercession and collect are from _Book of Common Worship_, (c)
1993 Westminster / John Knox Press.