OREMUS: 25 October 2010

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sun Oct 24 17:00:00 GMT 2010

OREMUS for October 25

you know each of us by name,
and in your sight we have found favor,
yet our minds cannot comprehend the vision of your glory
or the vastness of your love.
We praise you for forming us in your image
and calling us to be your people.
For these and all your mercies,
we praise you: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit,

Your hands have made me and fashioned me;*
 give me understanding,
   that I may learn your commandments.
Those who fear you will be glad when they see me,*
 because I trust in your word.

I know, O Lord, that your judgements are right*
 and that in faithfulness you have afflicted me.
Let your lovingkindness be my comfort*
 as you have promised to your servant.
Let your compassion come to me, that I may live,*
 for your law is my delight.
Let the arrogant be put to shame,
   for they wrong me with lies;*
 but I will meditate on your commandments.
Let those who fear you turn to me,*
 and also those who know your decrees.
Let my heart be sound in your statutes,*
 that I may not be put to shame.

My soul has longed for your salvation;*
 I have put my hope in your word.
My eyes have failed from watching for your promise,*
 and I say, 'When will you comfort me?'
I have become like a leather flask in the smoke,*
 but I have not forgotten your statutes.
How much longer must I wait?*
 when will you give judgement
   against those who persecute me?
The proud have dug pits for me;*
 they do not keep your law.
All your commandments are true;*
 help me, for they persecute me with lies.
They had almost made an end of me on earth,*
 but I have not forsaken your commandments.
In your lovingkindness, revive me,*
 that I may keep the decrees of your mouth.

O Lord, your word is everlasting;*
 it stands firm in the heavens.
Your faithfulness remains
   from one generation to another;*
 you established the earth and it abides.
By your decree these continue to this day,*
 for all things are your servants.
If my delight had not been in your law,*
 I should have perished in my affliction.
I will never forget your commandments,*
 because by them you give me life.
I am yours; O that you would save me!*
 for I study your commandments.
Though the wicked lie in wait for me to destroy me,*
 I will apply my mind to your decrees.
I see that all things come to an end,*
 but your commandment has no bounds.

O how I love your law!*
 all the day long it is in my mind.
Your commandment has made me wiser
   than my enemies,*
 and it is always with me.
I have more understanding than all my teachers,*
 for your decrees are my study.
I am wiser than the elders,*
 because I observe your commandments.
I restrain my feet from every evil way,*
 that I may keep your word.
I do not shrink from your judgements,*
 because you yourself have taught me.
How sweet are your words to my taste!*
 they are sweeter than honey to my mouth.
Through your commandments I gain understanding;*
 therefore I hate every lying way.

FIRST READING [Job 4:1–21]:

Then Eliphaz the Temanite answered:
2 'If one ventures a word with you, will you be offended?
   But who can keep from speaking?
3 See, you have instructed many;
   you have strengthened the weak hands.
4 Your words have supported those who were stumbling,
   and you have made firm the feeble knees.
5 But now it has come to you, and you are impatient;
   it touches you, and you are dismayed.
6 Is not your fear of God your confidence,
   and the integrity of your ways your hope?

7 'Think now, who that was innocent ever perished?
   Or where were the upright cut off?
8 As I have seen, those who plough iniquity
   and sow trouble reap the same.
9 By the breath of God they perish,
   and by the blast of his anger they are consumed.
10 The roar of the lion, the voice of the fierce lion,
   and the teeth of the young lions are broken.
11 The strong lion perishes for lack of prey,
   and the whelps of the lioness are scattered.

12 'Now a word came stealing to me,
   my ear received the whisper of it.
13 Amid thoughts from visions of the night,
   when deep sleep falls on mortals,
14 dread came upon me, and trembling,
   which made all my bones shake.
15 A spirit glided past my face;
   the hair of my flesh bristled.
16 It stood still,
   but I could not discern its appearance.
A form was before my eyes;
   there was silence, then I heard a voice:
17"""Can mortals be righteous before* God?
   Can human beings be pure before* their Maker?
18 Even in his servants he puts no trust,
   and his angels he charges with error;
19 how much more those who live in houses of clay,
   whose foundation is in the dust,
   who are crushed like a moth.
20 Between morning and evening they are destroyed;
   they perish for ever without any regarding it.
21 Their tent-cord is plucked up within them,
   and they die devoid of wisdom."

HYMN
Words: William Henry Burleigh, 1868
Music: Song 22

Lead us, O Father, in the paths of peace;
without thy guiding hand we go astray,
and doubts appall, and sorrows still increase;
lead us through Christ, the true and living Way.

Lead us, O Father, in the paths of truth;
unhelped by thee, in error's maze we grope,
while passion strains, and folly dims our youth,
and age comes on, uncheered by faith and hope.

Lead us, O Father, in the paths of right;
blindly we stumble when we walk alone,
involved in shadows of a darksome night;
only with thee we journey safely on.

Lead us, O Father, to thy heavenly rest,
however rough and steep the pathway be;
through joy or sorrow, as thou deemest best,
until our lives are perfected in thee.

SECOND READING [Matthew 17:14–27]:

When Jesus and the disciples came down from the mountain and to the crowd, a man came to him, knelt before him, and said, 'Lord, have mercy on my son, for he is an epileptic and he suffers terribly; he often falls into the fire and often into the water. And I brought him to your disciples, but they could not cure him.' Jesus answered, 'You faithless and perverse generation, how much longer must I be with you? How much longer must I put up with you? Bring him here to me.' And Jesus rebuked the demon, and it came out of him, and the boy was cured instantly. Then the disciples came to Jesus privately and said, 'Why could we not cast it out?' He said to them, 'Because of your little faith. For truly I tell you, if you have faith the size of a mustard seed, you will say to this mountain, “Move from here to there”, and it will move; and nothing will be impossible for you.'

As they were gathering in Galilee, Jesus said to them, 'The Son of Man is going to be betrayed into human hands, and they will kill him, and on the third day he will be raised.' And they were greatly distressed.

When they reached Capernaum, the collectors of the temple tax came to Peter and said, 'Does your teacher not pay the temple tax?' He said, 'Yes, he does.' And when he came home, Jesus spoke of it first, asking, 'What do you think, Simon? From whom do kings of the earth take toll or tribute? From their children or from others?' When Peter said, 'From others', Jesus said to him, 'Then the children are free. However, so that we do not give offence to them, go to the lake and cast a hook; take the first fish that comes up; and when you open its mouth, you will find a coin; take that and give it to them for you and me.'

Make your ways known upon earth, Lord God,
your saving power among all peoples.

Renew your Church in holiness,
and help us to serve you with joy.

Guide the leaders of this and every nation,
that justice may prevail throughout the world.

Let not the needy be forgotten,
nor the hope of the poor be taken away.

Make us instruments of your peace
and let your glory be over all the earth.

O gracious and holy God,
give us diligence to seek you,
wisdom to perceive you,
and patience to wait for you.
Grant us, O God,
a mind to meditate on you,
eyes to behold you,
ears to listen for your Word,
a heart to love you,
and a life to proclaim you,
through the power of the Spirit
of Jesus Christ, our Lord. Amen.

May the God whose likeness we bear
focus our hearts and wills on the Gospel,
that we may render worthy worship and loving service
in Jesus' Name. Amen.

The opening prayer is adapted from _Revised Common Lectionary Prayers_,
copyright (c) 2002 Consultation on Common Texts

The intercession is from _New Patterns for Worship_, copyright (c) The
Archbishops' Council, 2002. The collect is attributed to Saint Benedict. The closing
prayer is adapted from a prayer by Alan Griffiths.