OREMUS: 22 October 2010

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Thu Oct 21 17:00:00 GMT 2010

OREMUS for October 22

Blessed are you, O Lord God Almighty,
and great and wonderful are your deeds.
Just and true are your ways,
O King of the nations.
For you alone are holy,
and all nations will come and worship you:

My heart is firmly fixed, O God, my heart is fixed;*
 I will sing and make melody.
 I myself will waken the dawn.
I will confess you among the peoples, O Lord;*
 I will sing praises to you among the nations.
For your lovingkindness is greater than the heavens,*
 and your glory over all the earth.
So that those who are dear to you may be delivered,*
 save with your right hand and answer me.

Psalm 109:1-4, 20-30

Hold not your tongue, O God of my praise;*
 for the mouth of the wicked,
   the mouth of the deceitful, is opened against me.
They speak to me with a lying tongue;*
 they encompass me with hateful words
   and fight against me without a cause.
Despite my love, they accuse me;*
 but as for me, I pray for them.
They repay evil for good,*
 and hatred for my love.
But you, O Lord my God,
   O deal with me according to your name;*
 for your tender mercy's sake, deliver me.
For I am poor and needy,*
 and my heart is wounded within me.
I have faded away like a shadow when it lengthens;*
 I am shaken off like a locust.
My knees are weak through fasting,*
 and my flesh is wasted and gaunt.
I have become a reproach to them;*
 they see and shake their heads.
Help me, O Lord my God;*
 save me for your mercy's sake.
Let them know that this is your hand,*
 that you, O Lord, have done it.
They may curse, but you will bless;*
 let those who rise up against me be put to shame,
   and your servant will rejoice.
Let my accusers be clothed with disgrace*
 and wrap themselves in their shame as in a cloak.
I will give great thanks to the Lord with my mouth;*
 in the midst of the multitude will I praise him;
Because he stands at the right hand of the needy,*
 to save his life from those who would condemn him.

FIRST READING [Job 1:1–22]:

There was once a man in the land of Uz whose name was Job. That man was blameless and upright, one who feared God and turned away from evil. There were born to him seven sons and three daughters. He had seven thousand sheep, three thousand camels, five hundred yoke of oxen, five hundred donkeys, and very many servants; so that this man was the greatest of all the people of the east. His sons used to go and hold feasts in one another's houses in turn; and they would send and invite their three sisters to eat and drink with them. And when the feast days had run their course, Job would send and sanctify them, and he would rise early in the morning and offer burnt-offerings according to the number of them all; for Job said, 'It may be that my children have sinned, and cursed God in their hearts.' This is what Job always did.

One day the heavenly beings came to present themselves before the Lord, and Satan also came among them. The Lord said to Satan, 'Where have you come from?' Satan answered the Lord, 'From going to and fro on the earth, and from walking up and down on it.' The Lord said to Satan, 'Have you considered my servant Job? There is no one like him on the earth, a blameless and upright man who fears God and turns away from evil.' Then Satan answered the Lord, 'Does Job fear God for nothing? Have you not put a fence around him and his house and all that he has, on every side? You have blessed the work of his hands, and his possessions have increased in the land. But stretch out your hand now, and touch all that he has, and he will curse you to your face.' The Lord said to Satan, 'Very well, all that he has is in your power; only do not stretch out your hand against him!' So Satan went out from the presence of the Lord.

One day when his sons and daughters were eating and drinking wine in the eldest brother's house, a messenger came to Job and said, 'The oxen were ploughing and the donkeys were feeding beside them, and the Sabeans fell on them and carried them off, and killed the servants with the edge of the sword; I alone have escaped to tell you.' While he was still speaking, another came and said, 'The fire of God fell from heaven and burned up the sheep and the servants, and consumed them; I alone have escaped to tell you.' While he was still speaking, another came and said, 'The Chaldeans formed three columns, made a raid on the camels and carried them off, and killed the servants with the edge of the sword; I alone have escaped to tell you.' While he was still speaking, another came and said, 'Your sons and daughters were eating and drinking wine in their eldest brother's house, and suddenly a great wind came across the desert, struck the four corners of the house, and it fell on the young people, and they are dead; I alone have escaped to tell you.'

Then Job arose, tore his robe, shaved his head, and fell on the ground and worshipped. He said, 'Naked I came from my mother's womb, and naked shall I return there; the Lord gave, and the Lord has taken away; blessed be the name of the Lord.'  In all this Job did not sin or charge God with wrongdoing.

HYMN
Words: Paulus Gerhardt (1607-1676) Robert Bridges (1844-1930)
Tune: Innsbruck

The duteous day now closeth,
Each flower and tree reposeth,
Shade creeps o'er wild and wood:
Let us, as night is falling,
On God our maker calling
Give thanks to him, the giver good.

Now all the heavenly splendour
Breaks forth in starlight tender
>From myriad worlds unknown;
And man, the marvel seeing,
Forgets his selfish being,
For joy of beauty not his own.

His care he drowneth yonder,
Lost in the abyss of wonder;
To heaven his soul doth steal:
This life he disesteemeth,
The day it is that dreameth,
That does from truth his vision seal

Awhile his mortal blindness
May miss God's loving-kindness,
And grope in faithless strife:
But when life's day is over
Shall death's fair night discover
The fields of everlasting life.

SECOND READING [Matthew 16:1–12]:

The Pharisees and Sadducees came, and to test Jesus they asked him to show them a sign from heaven. He answered them, 'When it is evening, you say, “It will be fair weather, for the sky is red.” And in the morning, “It will be stormy today, for the sky is red and threatening.” You know how to interpret the appearance of the sky, but you cannot interpret the signs of the times. An evil and adulterous generation asks for a sign, but no sign will be given to it except the sign of Jonah.' Then he left them and went away.

When the disciples reached the other side, they had forgotten to bring any bread. Jesus said to them, 'Watch out, and beware of the yeast of the Pharisees and Sadducees.' They said to one another, 'It is because we have brought no bread.' And becoming aware of it, Jesus said, 'You of little faith, why are you talking about having no bread? Do you still not perceive? Do you not remember the five loaves for the five thousand, and how many baskets you gathered? Or the seven loaves for the four thousand, and how many baskets you gathered? How could you fail to perceive that I was not speaking about bread? Beware of the yeast of the Pharisees and Sadducees!' Then they understood that he had not told them to beware of the yeast of bread, but of the teaching of the Pharisees and Sadducees.

We pray for the family of the church, for loving relationships,
and for the life of families around us, saying
Jesus, Lord of love:
in your mercy, hear us.

Jesus, born in poverty and soon a refugee,
be with families today who are poor
and live in hunger and want. . .
Jesus, Lord of love:
in your mercy, hear us.

Jesus, who grew in wisdom and in favor with God and the people
in the family of Joseph the carpenter,
bring wisdom and the presence of God
into the work and growth of families today. . .
Jesus, Lord of love:
in your mercy, hear us.

Jesus, who blessed marriage in the wedding at Cana,
be with those preparing for marriage
and with those who come to the end of their resources. . .
Jesus, Lord of love:
in your mercy, hear us.

Jesus, who healed Peter's mother in law,
bring healing to hurt relationships and families today. . .
Jesus, Lord of love:
in your mercy, hear us.

Jesus, who on the cross said,
'Mother, behold your son',
provide today for those who lose their families,
the bereaved and childless, orphans and widows. . .
Jesus, Lord of love:
in your mercy, hear us.

Jesus, who on the seashore provided food for the disciples,
bring the whole Church on earth and in heaven
 into your risen presence to eat at the eternal banquet.
Jesus, Lord of love:
in your mercy, hear us.

Lord,
you shared the limits of our life
to save us from the snares of death;
may we have the courage to walk before you
in the land of the living,
and witness to your presence before all the people;

May we be mindful of God's call to holiness
and be clothed in the practice of good works,
that we may come to God's banquet prepared
to feast with the whole world.Amen.

The closing prayer are reprinted from _Revised Common
Lectionary Prayers_, copyright (c) 2002 Consultation on Common Texts.

The opening prayer is based on Revelation 15:3-4