OREMUS: 14 November 2010

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sat Nov 13 17:00:00 GMT 2010

OREMUS for November 14
Samuel Seabury, First Bishop of the Protestant Episcopal Church in the USA, 1796

Blessed are you, eternal God,
whose loving power surveys all that you have made,
and beyond whose care there is nothing that has life or breath;
we bless you for your wisdom,
we give you thanks for your loving-kindness,
we praise you for your providence:

In you, O Lord, have I taken refuge;*
 let me never be ashamed.
In your righteousness, deliver me and set me free;*
 incline your ear to me and save me.
Be my strong rock, a castle to keep me safe;*
 you are my crag and my stronghold.
Deliver me, my God, from the hand of the wicked,*
 from the clutches of the evildoer and the oppressor.
For you are my hope, O Lord God,*
 my confidence since I was young.
I have been sustained by you ever since I was born;
   from my mother's womb you have been my strength;*
 my praise shall be always of you.
I have become a portent to many;*
 but you are my refuge and my strength.
Let my mouth be full of your praise*
 and your glory all the day long.
Do not cast me off in my old age;*
 forsake me not when my strength fails.
For my enemies are talking against me,*
 and those who lie in wait for my life
   take counsel together.
They say, 'God has forsaken him;
   go after him and seize him;*
 because there is none who will save.'
O God, be not far from me;*
 come quickly to help me, O my God.
Let those who set themselves against me
   be put to shame and be disgraced;*
 let those who seek to do me evil
   be covered with scorn and reproach.
But I shall always wait in patience,*
 and shall praise you more and more.
My mouth shall recount your mighty acts
   and saving deeds all day long;*
 though I cannot know the number of them.
I will begin with the mighty works of the Lord God;*
 I will recall your righteousness, yours alone.
O God, you have taught me since I was young,*
 and to this day I tell of your wonderful works.
And now that I am old and greyheaded, O God,
   do not forsake me,*
 till I make known your strength to this generation
   and your power to all who are to come.
Your righteousness, O God, reaches to the heavens;*
 you have done great things; who is like you, O God?
You have showed me great troubles and adversities,*
 but you will restore my life and bring me up again
   from the deep places of the earth.
You strengthen me more and more;*
 you enfold and comfort me,
Therefore I will praise you upon the lyre
   for your faithfulness, O my God;*
 I will sing to you with the harp, O Holy One of Israel.
My lips will sing with joy when I play to you,*
 and so will my soul, which you have redeemed.
My tongue will proclaim your righteousness all day long,*
 for they are ashamed and disgraced
   who sought to do me harm.

Psalm 72

Give the king your justice, O God,*
 and your righteousness to the king's son;
That he may rule your people righteously*
 and the poor with justice;
That the mountains may bring prosperity to the people,*
 and the little hills bring righteousness.
He shall defend the needy among the people;*
 he shall rescue the poor and crush the oppressor.
He shall live as long as the sun and moon endure,*
 from one generation to another.
He shall come down like rain upon the mown field,*
 like showers that water the earth.
In his time shall the righteous flourish;*
 there shall be abundance of peace
   till the moon shall be no more.
He shall rule from sea to sea,*
 and from the River to the ends of the earth.
His foes shall bow down before him,*
 and his enemies lick the dust.
The kings of Tarshish and of the isles shall pay tribute,*
 and the kings of Arabia and Saba offer gifts.
All kings shall bow down before him,*
 and all the nations do him service.
For he shall deliver the poor who cries out in distress,*
 and the oppressed who has no helper.
He shall have pity on the lowly and poor;*
 he shall preserve the lives of the needy.
He shall redeem their lives from oppression and violence,*
 and dear shall their blood be in his sight.
Long may he live,
   and may there be given to him gold from Arabia;*
 may prayer be made for him always,
   and may they bless him all the day long.
May there be abundance of grain on the earth,
   growing thick even on the hilltops;*
 may its fruit flourish like Lebanon,
   and its grain like grass upon the earth.
May his name remain for ever
   and be established as long as the sun endures;*
 may all the nations bless themselves in him
   and call him blessed.
Blessed be the Lord God, the God of Israel,*
 who alone does wondrous deeds!
And blessed be his glorious name for ever!*
 and may all the earth be filled with his glory.
   Amen. Amen.

FIRST READING [Job 29:1, 31:1-23]:

Job continued:
'I have made a covenant with my eyes;
   how then could I look upon a virgin?
What would be my portion from God above,
   and my heritage from the Almighty on high?
Does not calamity befall the unrighteous,
   and disaster the workers of iniquity?
Does he not see my ways,
   and number all my steps?

'If I have walked with falsehood,
   and my foot has hurried to deceit—
let me be weighed in a just balance,
   and let God know my integrity!—
if my step has turned aside from the way,
   and my heart has followed my eyes,
   and if any spot has clung to my hands;
then let me sow, and another eat;
   and let what grows for me be rooted out.

'If my heart has been enticed by a woman,
   and I have lain in wait at my neighbour's door;
then let my wife grind for another,
   and let other men kneel over her.
For that would be a heinous crime;
   that would be a criminal offence;
for that would be a fire consuming down to Abaddon,
   and it would burn to the root all my harvest.

'If I have rejected the cause of my male or female slaves,
   when they brought a complaint against me;
what then shall I do when God rises up?
   When he makes inquiry, what shall I answer him?
Did not he who made me in the womb make them?
   And did not one fashion us in the womb?

'If I have withheld anything that the poor desired,
   or have caused the eyes of the widow to fail,
or have eaten my morsel alone,
   and the orphan has not eaten from it—
for from my youth I reared the orphan like a father,
   and from my mother's womb I guided the widow—
if I have seen anyone perish for lack of clothing,
   or a poor person without covering,
whose loins have not blessed me,
   and who was not warmed with the fleece of my sheep;
if I have raised my hand against the orphan,
   because I saw I had supporters at the gate;
then let my shoulder blade fall from my shoulder,
   and let my arm be broken from its socket.
For I was in terror of calamity from God,
   and I could not have faced his majesty.

HYMN
Words: Fred Pratt Green (c) used with permission
Tune: Dunedin, Herongate, Brockham, Illsley

The church of Christ in every age,
beset by change but Spirit-led,
must claim and test its heritage
and keep on rising from the dead.

Across the world, across the street,
the victims of injustice cry
for shelter and for bread to eat,
and never live until they die.

The let the servant church arise,
a caring church that longs to be
a partner in Christ's sacrifice,
and clothed in Christ's humanity.

For he alone, whose blood was shed,
can cure the fever in our blood,
and teach us how to share our bread
and feed the starving multitude.

We have no mission but to serve
in full obedience to our Lord:
to care for all, without reserve,
and spread his liberating word.

SECOND READING [1 Timothy 1:1–20]:

Paul, an apostle of Christ Jesus by the command of God our Saviour and of Christ Jesus our hope,  To Timothy, my loyal child in the faith: Grace, mercy, and peace from God the Father and Christ Jesus our Lord.

I urge you, as I did when I was on my way to Macedonia, to remain in Ephesus so that you may instruct certain people not to teach any different doctrine, and not to occupy themselves with myths and endless genealogies that promote speculations rather than the divine training that is known by faith. But the aim of such instruction is love that comes from a pure heart, a good conscience, and sincere faith. Some people have deviated from these and turned to meaningless talk, desiring to be teachers of the law, without understanding either what they are saying or the things about which they make assertions.

Now we know that the law is good, if one uses it legitimately. This means understanding that the law is laid down not for the innocent but for the lawless and disobedient, for the godless and sinful, for the unholy and profane, for those who kill their father or mother, for murderers, fornicators, sodomites, slave-traders, liars, perjurers, and whatever else is contrary to the sound teaching that conforms to the glorious gospel of the blessed God, which he entrusted to me.

I am grateful to Christ Jesus our Lord, who has strengthened me, because he judged me faithful and appointed me to his service, even though I was formerly a blasphemer, a persecutor, and a man of violence. But I received mercy because I had acted ignorantly in unbelief, and the grace of our Lord overflowed for me with the faith and love that are in Christ Jesus. The saying is sure and worthy of full acceptance, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners—of whom I am the foremost. But for that very reason I received mercy, so that in me, as the foremost, Jesus Christ might display the utmost patience, making me an example to those who would come to believe in him for eternal life. To the King of the ages, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honour and glory for ever and ever. Amen.

I am giving you these instructions, Timothy, my child, in accordance with the prophecies made earlier about you, so that by following them you may fight the good fight, having faith and a good conscience. By rejecting conscience, certain persons have suffered shipwreck in the faith; among them are Hymenaeus and Alexander, whom I have turned over to Satan, so that they may learn not to blaspheme.

God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob,
of apostles and prophets:
in every age you have chosen people to work for you,
by showing justice and doing mercy.
Let the Church share Christ's own work
as prophet, priest and king,
reconciling the world to your law and your love,
and telling of your mighty power.

You have called us out of the world, O God,
and chosen us to witness to the nations.
Give us your Spirit to show the way, the truth and the life
of our Savior Jesus Christ.
Give thanks to God for the Church.
We are a chosen people.

You have appointed us as a royal priesthood, O God,
to pray for people everywhere and to declare your mercy.
We pray especially for the Episcopal Church
and the Churches of the Anglican Communion.
Give us your Spirit that we may be drawn to each other in love.
Give thanks to God for the Church.
We are the household of God.

You have baptized us into one family of faith,
and named us your children,
the sisters and brothers of Jesus.
Give us your Spirit to live in peace
and serve each other gladly.
Give thanks to God for the Church.
We are a temple for your Spirit.

You have built us up, O God,
into a temple for worship.
Give us your Spirit to know that there is no other foundation for us
than Jesus Christ, our Rock and our Redeemer.
Give thanks to God for the Church.
We are a colony of heaven.

You have joined us in one body, O God,
to live for our Lord in the world.
Give us your Spirit that, working together without envy or pride,
we may serve our Lord and Head.
Give thanks to God for the Church.
We are the Body of Christ.

O God, we are your Church,
called, adopted, built up, blessed and joined to Jesus Christ.
Help us to know who we are
and in all we do to be your servants.
Give thanks to God for the Church.
And trust the Holy Spirit.

Almighty and everlasting God,
by whose Spirit the whole body of the Church
is governed and sanctified:
Receive our prayers and supplications,
which we offer before you for all people in your holy Church,
that all its members, in their vocation and ministry,
may truly and godly serve you;
through our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. Amen.

Eternal God,
who blessed your servant Samuel Seabury
with the gift of perseverance
to renew the Anglican inheritance
in the churches of North America:
grant us unity in faith, steadfastness in hope,
and constancy in love,
that we may ever be true members
of the body of your Son Jesus Christ,
who is alive and reigns with you

May the grace of God,
deeper than our imagination;
the strength of Christ,
stronger than our need;
and the communion of the Holy Spirit,
richer than our togetherness,
guide and sustain us today
and in all our tomorrows. Amen.

The opening prayer is adapted from a prayer by Queen Anne. The closing prayer is from  _The Worship Sourcebook_. The second collect is from _For All the Saints_, (c) General Synod of the Anglican Church of Canada, 1994.

Samuel Seabury was born in Connecticut in 1729 and, after graduating from Yale, was ordained priest in England and assigned by the Society for the Propagation of the Gospel to a church in New Brunswick, New Jersey. During the American War of Independence, he remained faithful to the British Crown, serving as a chaplain in the British army. At a secret meeting of the clergy in Connecticut, Samuel was chosen to seek consecration as bishop but, after a year of fruitless negotiation with the Church of England, he was ordained bishop by the non-juring bishops in the Scottish Episcopal Church on this day in 1784. Returning to America, he held his first Convention in Connecticut the following August and the first General Convention of the American Episcopal Church in 1789. There, they adopted the Scottish eucharistic rite and a similar name to the Church which had proved itself their friend. Samuel died on 25 February 1796. [Exciting Holiness]