OREMUS: 1 June 2010

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Mon May 31 17:00:00 GMT 2010

OREMUS for Tuesday, June 1, 2010
Justin, Martyr at Rome, c. 167

Blessed are you, O Lord,
your love reaches to the heavens,
and your faithfulness to the clouds.
Your righteousness is like teh strong mountains,
your justice like the great deep;
you save your entire creation, O Lord,
in your Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.

Lord, do not rebuke me in your anger;*
 do not punish me in your wrath.
Have pity on me, Lord, for I am weak;*
 heal me, Lord, for my bones are racked.
My spirit shakes with terror;*
 how long, O Lord, how long?
Turn, O Lord, and deliver me;*
 save me for your mercy's sake.
For in death no one remembers you;*
 and who will give you thanks in the grave?
I grow weary because of my groaning;*
 every night I drench my bed
   and flood my couch with tears.
My eyes are wasted with grief*
 and worn away because of all my enemies.
Depart from me, all evildoers,*
 for the Lord has heard the sound of my weeping.
The Lord has heard my supplication;*
 the Lord accepts my prayer.
All my enemies shall be confounded and quake with fear;*
 they shall turn back and suddenly be put to shame.

Psalm 7

O Lord my God, I take refuge in you;*
 save and deliver me from all who pursue me;
Lest like a lion they tear me in pieces*
 and snatch me away with none to deliver me.
O Lord my God, if I have done these things:*
 if there is any wickedness in my hands,
If I have repaid my friend with evil,*
 or plundered one who without cause is my enemy;
Then let my enemy pursue and overtake me,*
 trample my life into the ground,
   and lay my honour in the dust.
Stand up, O Lord, in your wrath;*
 rise up against the fury of my enemies.
Awake, O my God, decree justice;*
 let the assembly of the peoples gather round you.
Be seated on your lofty throne, O Most High;*
 O Lord, judge the nations.
Give judgement for me
   according to my righteousness, O Lord,*
 and according to my innocence, O Most High.
Let the malice of the wicked come to an end,
   but establish the righteous;*
 for you test the mind and heart, O righteous God.
God is my shield and defence;*
 he is the saviour of the true in heart.
God is a righteous judge;*
 God sits in judgement every day.
If they will not repent, God will whet his sword;*
 he will bend his bow and make it ready.
He has prepared his weapons of death;*
 he makes his arrows shafts of fire.
Look at those who are in labour with wickedness,*
 who conceive evil and give birth to a lie.
They dig a pit and make it deep*
 and fall into the hole that they have made.
Their malice turns back upon their own head;*
 their violence falls on their own scalp.
I will bear witness that the Lord is righteous;*
 I will praise the name of the Lord Most High.

Psalm 8

O Lord our governor,*
 how exalted is your name in all the world!
Out of the mouths of infants and children*
 your majesty is praised above the heavens.
You have set up a stronghold against your adversaries,*
 to quell the enemy and the avenger.
When I consider your heavens, the work of your fingers,*
 the moon and the stars you have set in their courses,
What are mortals, that you should be mindful of them?*
 mere human beings, that you should seek them out?
You have made them little lower than the angels;*
 you adorn them with glory and honour.
You give them mastery over the works of your hands;*
 and put all things under their feet,
All sheep and oxen,*
 even the wild beasts of the field,
The birds of the air, the fish of the sea,*
 and whatsoever walks in the paths of the sea.
O Lord our governor,*
 how exalted is your name in all the world!

FIRST READING [Num. 16:15-35]:

Moses was very angry and said to the Lord, 'Pay no attention to their offering. I have not taken one donkey from them, and I have not harmed any one of them.' And Moses said to Korah, 'As for you and all your company, be present tomorrow before the Lord, you and they and Aaron; and let each one of you take his censer, and put incense on it, and each one of you present his censer before the Lord, two hundred and fifty censers; you also, and Aaron, each his censer.' So each man took his censer, and they put fire in the censers and laid incense on them, and they stood at the entrance of the tent of meeting with Moses and Aaron. Then Korah assembled the whole congregation against them at the entrance of the tent of meeting. And the glory of the Lord appeared to the whole congregation.

Then the Lord spoke to Moses and to Aaron, saying: Separate yourselves from this congregation, so that I may consume them in a moment. They fell on their faces, and said, 'O God, the God of the spirits of all flesh, shall one person sin and you become angry with the whole congregation?'

And the Lord spoke to Moses, saying: Say to the congregation: Get away from the dwellings of Korah, Dathan, and Abiram. So Moses got up and went to Dathan and Abiram; the elders of Israel followed him. He said to the congregation, 'Turn away from the tents of these wicked men, and touch nothing of theirs, or you will be swept away for all their sins.' So they got away from the dwellings of Korah, Dathan, and Abiram; and Dathan and Abiram came out and stood at the entrance of their tents, together with their wives, their children, and their little ones. And Moses said, 'This is how you shall know that the Lord has sent me to do all these works; it has not been of my own accord: If these people die a natural death, or if a natural fate comes on them, then the Lord has not sent me. But if the Lord creates something new, and the ground opens its mouth and swallows them up, with all that belongs to them, and they go down alive into Sheol, then you shall know that these men have despised the Lord.'

As soon as he finished speaking all these words, the ground under them was split apart. The earth opened its mouth and swallowed them up, along with their households—everyone who belonged to Korah and all their goods. So they with all that belonged to them went down alive into Sheol; the earth closed over them, and they perished from the midst of the assembly. All Israel around them fled at their outcry, for they said, 'The earth will swallow us too!' And fire came out from the Lord and consumed the two hundred and fifty men offering the incense.

HYMN
Words: Charles Wesley (1707-1788)
Tune: Grasmere (77 44 7 D)

Head of your church triumphant,
we joyfully adore you!
Till you appear
your members here
shall sing with those in glory,
We lift our hearts and voices
in glad anticipation
and cry aloud
and give to God
all praise for our salvation.

Our Saviour we acknowledge
who spoke in flame and thunder,
and loudly sing
our conquering King
in songs of joy and wonder,
In every day's deliverance
our Jesus we discover;
this, this is he
who struck the sea
and led us safely over!

While in affliction's furnace
and passing through the fire,
your love we praise
which knows our days
and ever leads us higher.
We clap our hands exulting
in your almighty favour;
on us you shine
with love divine
which made us yours for ever.

By faith we see the glory
to which you will restore us;
the world despise
for that high prize
which you have set before us.
And if you count us worthy,
we each, as dying Stephen,
shall see you stand
at God's right hand
to take us up to heaven.

SECOND READING [Acts 7:17-34]:

Stephen continued to preach, 'But as the time drew near for the fulfilment of the promise that God had made to Abraham, our people in Egypt increased and multiplied until another king who had not known Joseph ruled over Egypt. He dealt craftily with our race and forced our ancestors to abandon their infants so that they would die. At this time Moses was born, and he was beautiful before God. For three months he was brought up in his father's house; and when he was abandoned, Pharaoh's daughter adopted him and brought him up as her own son. So Moses was instructed in all the wisdom of the Egyptians and was powerful in his words and deeds.

'When he was forty years old, it came into his heart to visit his relatives, the Israelites. When he saw one of them being wronged, he defended the oppressed man and avenged him by striking down the Egyptian. He supposed that his kinsfolk would understand that God through him was rescuing them, but they did not understand. The next day he came to some of them as they were quarrelling and tried to reconcile them, saying, “Men, you are brothers; why do you wrong each other?” But the man who was wronging his neighbour pushed Moses aside, saying, “Who made you a ruler and a judge over us? Do you want to kill me as you killed the Egyptian yesterday?” When he heard this, Moses fled and became a resident alien in the land of Midian. There he became the father of two sons.

'Now when forty years had passed, an angel appeared to him in the wilderness of Mount Sinai, in the flame of a burning bush. When Moses saw it, he was amazed at the sight; and as he approached to look, there came the voice of the Lord: “I am the God of your ancestors, the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob.” Moses began to tremble and did not dare to look. Then the Lord said to him, "Take off the sandals from your feet, for the place where you are standing is holy ground. I have surely seen the mistreatment of my people who are in Egypt and have heard their groaning, and I have come down to rescue them. Come now, I will send you to Egypt."'

Creator and Sustainer of life, God,

who ever calls us back
to his ways of justice and peace:
we thank you for the gift of the land,
for its beauty, and its resources,
and the rich heritage we enjoy.
Merciful, mighty God:
hear our prayer.

And so we pray:
for those who make decisions about our land and its resources;
for those who work on the land and sea,
in our cities, and in commerce and industry;
for artists, scientists, politicians, and visionaries.
Merciful, mighty God:
hear our prayer.

We thank you for giving us life, and for giving us our life together.
We pray for all who through their own or others( actions
are deprived of fullness of life;
for all who know sickness, disability, and an untimely death;
for all who devote their lives to ministering to the needs of others.
Merciful, mighty God:
hear our prayer.

Give us reverence for life in this, your created world.
May we reflect the goodness of your creation
in the society we create with and for one another.
Merciful, mighty God:
hear our prayer.

Lord our God,
you have given us the light of Christ to banish darkness
and to lead us in the way of your commandments:
make it ever our delight to fulfil your will,
and truly to love one another;
through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

God our redeemer,
who through the folly of the cross
taught your martyr Justin
the surpassing knowledge of Jesus Christ:
remove from us every kind of error
that we, like him, may be firmly grounded in the faith,
and make your name known to all peoples;

May we feast at your abundant table, O Lord,
and drink from the river of your delights. Amen.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving is adapted from a prayer by Philip Newell and the
closing sentence is adapted from _Revised Common Lectionary Prayers_,