OREMUS: 31 May 2010

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sun May 30 17:00:10 GMT 2010

OREMUS for Monday, May 31, 2010
The Visitation of the Blessed Virgin Mary

Blessed are you, almighty God,
through Jesus Christ, your only Son, our Lord.
Through the prophetic words of Elizabeth,
you revealed to us the greatness
of the Blessed Virgin Mary, the Mother of our Lord,
who had believed the promise of salvation.

 you seamonsters and all deeps;

 and a twoedged sword in their hand;

Praise him with the blast of the ram'shorn;*
 praise him with loudclanging cymbals.

FIRST READING [Zephaniah 3:14-18]:

Sing aloud, O daughter Zion;
   shout, O Israel!
Rejoice and exult with all your heart,
   O daughter Jerusalem!
The Lord has taken away the judgements against you,
   he has turned away your enemies.
The king of Israel, the Lord, is in your midst;
   you shall fear disaster no more.
On that day it shall be said to Jerusalem:
Do not fear, O Zion;
   do not let your hands grow weak.
The Lord, your God, is in your midst,
   a warrior who gives victory;
he will rejoice over you with gladness,
   he will renew you in his love;
he will exult over you with loud singing
   as on a day of festival.
I will remove disaster from you,
   so that you will not bear reproach for it.

HYMN
Words: (c) Marnie Barrell
Tune: Love Unknown

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/barrell/mb14.html

Hail Mary, full of grace! All generations, bless
our highly-favoured sister in her holiness!
Rejoice with her, who first received
God's Word made human, and believed.

Heaven and earth stand still while Mary, wrapped in thought,
accepts the words of joy and dread the angel brought
to bear the Christ, and hold him dear
in costly love, in pain and fear.

Courage and strength were hers when, virgin and alone,
she freely chose the will of God and made it her own.
She laughed, and sang a woman's song:
God lifts the weak, puts down the strong.

Now may we seek the path that Mary's feet once trod,
sufficient in herself to bear the fullness of God -
for Christ will come where faith and love
receive him still, and make him room.

SECOND READING [Luke 1:39-56]:

In those days Mary set out and went with haste to a
Judean town in the hill country, where she entered the
house of Zechariah and greeted Elizabeth. When Elizabeth
heard Mary's greeting, the child leapt in her womb. And
Elizabeth was filled with the Holy Spirit and exclaimed
with a loud cry, 'Blessed are you among women, and
blessed is the fruit of your womb. And why has this
happened to me, that the mother of my Lord comes to me?
For as soon as I heard the sound of your greeting, the
child in my womb leapt for joy. And blessed is she who
believed that there would be a fulfilment of what was
spoken to her by the Lord.'
And Mary said,
'My soul magnifies the Lord,
    and my spirit rejoices in God my Saviour,
for he has looked with favour on the lowliness of his servant.
   Surely, from now on all generations will call me blessed;
for the Mighty One has done great things for me,
   and holy is his name.
His mercy is for those who fear him
   from generation to generation.
He has shown strength with his arm;
   he has scattered the proud in the thoughts of their hearts.
He has brought down the powerful from their thrones,
   and lifted up the lowly;
he has filled the hungry with good things,
   and sent the rich away empty.
He has helped his servant Israel,
   in remembrance of his mercy,
according to the promise he made to our ancestors,
   to Abraham and to his descendants for ever.'

And Mary remained with her for about three months and
then returned to her home.

Following the example of Mary's patient love,
we pray for grace to follow God's will.

We pray for the Church.
May it follow Mary's example of patience, humility and trust.
God of love,
hear our prayer.

We pray for women
who serve as bishops, priests, deacons and ministers in your Church.
Open our ears to their witness and teaching.
God of love,
hear our prayer.

We pray for the world.
Teach us to honor the wholeness of God's creation
in both male and female.
God of love,
hear our prayer.

We pray for mothers.
May the knowledge of your love
ease the burden of those who are live with poverty or anxiety.
God of love,
hear our prayer.

We pray for women
suffering from cruelty and indifference.
Give us strength to give them comfort and relief.
God of love,
hear our prayer.

We join with the Blessed Virgin Mary
in intercession for the departed.
In the hour of death, save us by the love of Christ
which has raised them to eternal life.
God of love,
hear our prayer.

O God our deliverer,
you cast down the mighty,
and lift up those of no account:
As Elizabeth and Mary embraced with songs of liberation,
so may we also be pregnant with your Spirit,
and affirm one another in hope for the world;
through Jesus Christ. Amen.

Receiving the Holy Spirit,
bearing the child of God,
pondering the mystery of Christ,
witnessing and following in the Way,
so Mary witnessed to your saving grace.
May we, O God, be as faithful and strong. Amen.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving is adapted from _Common
WorshipServices and Prayers for the Church of England_, material from
which is included in this service is copyright (c) The Archbishops' Council,
2000.

The hymn is (c) Marnie Barrell, revised in 2001. This hymn is reproduced
here with the kind permission of the author; if you wish to reproduce it further,
please apply for permission by sending her an email.

The intercession is by Stephen T. Benner and is based on a prayer from
_Leading Intercessions_, (c) 2000, Canterbury Press.

The collect is from _A Prayer Book for Australia_. (c) 1995,
The Anglican Church of Australia Trust Corporation.

The closing sentence is adapted from prayers reprinted from _THE
DAILY OFFICE: A Book of Hours of Daily Prayer after the Use of the Order
of Saint Luke_, (c) 1997 by The Order of Saint Luke. Used by
permission.

After the angel Gabriel had announced to Mary that she was to become the
mother of Our Lord, Mary went from Galilee to Judea to visit her kinswoman
Elizabeth, soon to be the mother of John the Baptist. This visit is recorded in
Luke 1:39-56. Elizabeth greeted Mary with the words, "Blessed are you
among women, and blessed is the fruit of your womb." Mary burst forth with
the song of praise which we call the Magnificat, beginning, "My soul proclaims
the greatness of the Lord." We are told that even John the Baptist, still unborn,
leaped for joy in his mother's womb. Thus we are shown, side by side, the two
women, one seemingly too old to have a child, but destined to bear the last
prophet of the Old Covenant, of the age that was passing away; and the other
woman, seemingly not ready to have a child, but destined to bear the One Who
was Himself the beginning of the New Covenant, the age that would not pass
away. It is this meeting that we celebrate today. [James Kiefer]