OREMUS: 13 May 2010

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Wed May 12 17:00:00 GMT 2010

OREMUS for Thursday, May 13, 2010
The Ascension of Our Lord Jesus Christ

Blessed are you, almighty God,
through Jesus Christ the King of glory.
Born of a woman,
he came to our rescue.
Dying for us,
he trampled death and conquered sin.
By the glory of his resurrection
he opened the way to life eternal
and by his ascension,
gave us the sure hope
that where he is we may also be.

Psalm 68 [CCP]

Let God arise and let his enemies be scattered;*
 let those who hate him flee before him.
Let them vanish like smoke
   when the wind drives it away;*
 as the wax melts at the fire,
   so let the wicked perish at the presence of God.
But let the righteous be glad and rejoice before God;*
 let them also be merry and joyful.
Sing to God, sing praises to his name;
   exalt him who rides upon the heavens;*
 Yahweh is his name, rejoice before him!
Father of orphans, defender of widows,*
 God in his holy habitation!
God gives the solitary a home

   and brings forth prisoners into freedom;*
 but the rebels shall live in dry places.
O God, when you went forth before your people,*
 when you marched through the wilderness,
The earth shook and the skies poured down rain,
   at the presence of God, the God of Sinai,*
 at the presence of God, the God of Israel.
You sent a gracious rain, O God, upon your inheritance;*
 you refreshed the land when it was weary.
Your people found their home in it;*
 in your goodness, O God,
   you have made provision for the poor.
The Lord gave the word;*
 great was the company of women who bore the tidings:
'Kings with their armies are fleeing away;*
 the women at home are dividing the spoils.'
Though you lingered among the sheepfolds,*
 you shall be like a dove
   whose wings are covered with silver,
   whose feathers are like green gold.
When the Almighty scattered kings,*
 it was like snow falling in Zalmon.
O mighty mountain, O hill of Bashan!*
 O rugged mountain, O hill of Bashan!
Why do you look with envy, O rugged mountain,
   at the hill which God chose for his resting place?*
 truly, the Lord will dwell there for ever.
The chariots of God are twenty thousand,
   even thousands of thousands;*
 the Lord comes in holiness from Sinai.
You have gone up on high and led captivity captive;
   you have received gifts even from your enemies,*
 that the Lord God might dwell among them.
Blessed be the Lord day by day,*
 the God of our salvation, who bears our burdens.
He is our God, the God of our salvation;*
 God is the Lord, by whom we escape death.
Your procession is seen, O God,*
 your procession into the sanctuary, my God and my King.
The singers go before, musicians follow after,*
 in the midst of maidens playing upon the handdrums.
Bless God in the congregation;*
 bless the Lord, you that are of the fountain of Israel.
There is Benjamin, least of the tribes, at the head;
   the princes of Judah in a company;*
 and the princes of Zebulon and Naphtali.
Send forth your strength, O God;*
 establish, O God, what you have wrought for us.
Kings shall bring gifts to you,*
 for your temple's sake at Jerusalem.
Rebuke the wild beast of the reeds,*
 and the peoples, a herd of wild bulls with its calves.
Trample down those who lust after silver;*
 scatter the peoples that delight in war.
Let tribute be brought out of Egypt;*
 let Ethiopia stretch out her hands to God.
Sing to God, O kingdoms of the earth;*
 sing praises to the Lord.
He rides in the heavens, the ancient heavens;*
 he sends forth his voice, his mighty voice.
Ascribe power to God;*
 his majesty is over Israel;
   his strength is in the skies.
How wonderful is God in his holy places!*
 the God of Israel giving strength and power to his people!
   Blessed be God!

FIRST READING [Dan. 7:9-10, 13-14]:

As I watched,
thrones were set in place,
   and an Ancient One took his throne;
his clothing was white as snow,
   and the hair of his head like pure wool;
his throne was fiery flames,
   and its wheels were burning fire.
A stream of fire issued
   and flowed out from his presence.
A thousand thousand served him,
   and ten thousand times ten thousand stood attending him.
The court sat in judgement,
   and the books were opened. As I watched in the night visions,
I saw one like a human being
   coming with the clouds of heaven.
And he came to the Ancient One
   and was presented before him.
To him was given dominion
   and glory and kingship,
that all peoples, nations, and languages
   should serve him.
His dominion is an everlasting dominion
   that shall not pass away,
and his kingship is one
   that shall never be destroyed.

HYMN
Words: Latin, fifth century; trans. John Mason Neale
Tune: Deus tuorum militum

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/e/e051.html

Eternal Monarch, King most high,
whose blood hath brought redemption nigh,
by whom the death of Death was wrought,
and conquering Grace's battle fought.

Ascending to the throne of might,
and seated at the Father's right,
all power in heaven is Jesus' own,
that here his manhood had not known.

That so, in nature's triple frame,
each heavenly and each earthly name,
and things in hell's abyss abhorred,
may bend the knee and own him Lord.

Yea, angels tremble when they see
how changed is our humanity;
that flesh hath purged what flesh had stained,
and God, the flesh of God, hath reigned.

Be thou our joy and strong defense,
who art our future recompense:
so shall the light that springs from thee
be ours through all eternity.

O risen Christ, ascended Lord,
all praise to thee let earth accord,
who art, while endless ages run,
with Father and with Spirit one.

SECOND READING [Heb. 4:14-5:10]:

Since, then, we have a great high priest who has passed through the heavens, Jesus,
the Son of God, let us hold fast to our confession. For we do not have a high priest
who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who in every
respect has been tested as we are, yet without sin. Let us therefore approach the
throne of grace with boldness, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in
time of need.
Every high priest chosen from among mortals is put in charge of things pertaining to
God on their behalf, to offer gifts and sacrifices for sins. He is able to deal gently with
the ignorant and wayward, since he himself is subject to weakness; and because of this
he must offer sacrifice for his own sins as well as for those of the people. And one
does not presume to take this honour, but takes it only when called by God, just as
Aaron was.
So also Christ did not glorify himself in becoming a high priest, but was appointed by
the one who said to him,
'You are my Son,
   today I have begotten you';
as he says also in another place,
'You are a priest for ever,
   according to the order of Melchizedek.'

In the days of his flesh, Jesus offered up prayers and supplications, with loud cries and
tears, to the one who was able to save him from death, and he was heard because of
his reverent submission. Although he was a Son, he learned obedience through what
he suffered; and having been made perfect, he became the source of eternal salvation
for all who obey him, having been designated by God a high priest according to the
order of Melchizedek.

Let us seek the Father's blessing and the gifts of the Spirit,
praying through Christ our Lord
Lord Jesus Christ, pray to the Father
Lord, send us your Spirit.

Jesus Christ, Great High Priest, ever living to intercede for us,
pray for the Church, your broken body in the world.
Lord Jesus Christ, pray to the Father
Lord, send us your Spirit.

Jesus Christ, King of righteousness,
enthroned at the right hand of the majesty on high,
pray for the world, and subject it to your gentle rule...
Lord Jesus Christ, pray to the Father
Lord, send us your Spirit.

Jesus Christ, Son of Man, drawing humanity into the life of God,
pray for your brothers and sisters in need, distress or sorrow...
Lord Jesus Christ, pray to the Father
Lord, send us your Spirit.

Jesus Christ, Pioneer of our salvation, bringing us to glory
through your death and resurrection,
surround with your saints and angels
those who have died trusting in your promises....
Lord Jesus Christ, pray to the Father
Lord, send us your Spirit.

Jesus Christ, Lord over all things,
ascending far above the heavens and filling the universe,
pray for us who receive the gifts you give for work in your service...
Lord Jesus Christ, pray to the Father
Lord, send us your Spirit..

Almighty God,
your Son Jesus Christ ascended to the throne of heaven
that he might rule over all things as Lord
Keep the church in the unity of the Spirit
and in the bond of peace,
and bring all creation to worship at his feet,
one God, now and forever. Amen.

Looking for the coming of the kingdom,
let us pray as our King has taught us:

- The Lord's Prayer

May Christ, our ascended King,
pour upon us the abundance of his gifts
and bring us to reign with him in glory. Amen.

_Common WorshipServices and Prayers for the Church of
(c) The Archbishops' Council, 2000.