OREMUS: 29 June 2010

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Mon Jun 28 18:25:00 GMT 2010

OREMUS for Monday, June 29, 2009
Saint Peter and Saint Paul, Apostles

Blessed are you, almighty God, eternal Word:
we rejoice this day for the gift of your apostles Peter and Paul,
whom you chose and set apart,
that they may proclaim your word to generations to come.
You have made them bright lights in the fellowship of the apostles
and, as witnesses to the faith and love of Christ,
you have crowned them for all eternity
with the radiance of your glory,

O Lord, I call to you; come to me quickly;*
 hear my voice when I cry to you.
Let my prayer be set forth in your sight as incense,*
 the lifting up of my hands as the evening sacrifice.
Set a watch before my mouth, O Lord,
   and guard the door of my lips;*
 let not my heart incline to any evil thing.
Let me not be occupied in wickedness with evildoers,*
 nor eat of their choice foods.
Let the righteous smite me in friendly rebuke;
   let not the oil of the unrighteous anoint my head;*
 for my prayer is continually against their wicked deeds.
Let their rulers be overthrown in stony places,*
 that they may know my words are true.
As when a plough turns over the earth in furrows,*
 let their bones be scattered at the mouth of the grave.
But my eyes are turned to you, Lord God;*
 in you I take refuge; do not strip me of my life.
Protect me from the snare which they have laid for me*
 and from the traps of the evildoers.
Let the wicked fall into their own nets,*
 while I myself escape.

Psalm 142

I cry to the Lord with my voice;*
 to the Lord I make loud supplication.
I pour out my complaint before him*
 and tell him all my trouble.
When my spirit languishes within me, you know my path;*
 in the way wherein I walk they have hidden a trap for me.
I look to my right hand and find no one who knows me;*
 I have no place to flee to and no one cares for me.
I cry out to you, O Lord;*
 I say, 'You are my refuge,
   my portion in the land of the living.'
Listen to my cry for help,
   for I have been brought very low;*
 save me from those who pursue me,
   for they are too strong for me.
Bring me out of prison,
   that I may give thanks to your name;*
 when you have dealt bountifully with me,
   the righteous will gather around me.

Psalm 143

Lord, hear my prayer,
   and in your faithfulness heed my supplications;*
 answer me in your righteousness.
Enter not into judgement with your servant,*
 for in your sight shall no one living be justified.
For my enemy has sought my life
   and has crushed me to the ground;*
 making me live in dark places
   like those who are long dead.
My spirit faints within me;*
 my heart within me is desolate.
I remember the time past;
   I muse upon all your deeds;*
 I consider the works of your hands.
I spread out my hands to you;*
 my soul gasps to you like a thirsty land.
O Lord, make haste to answer me; my spirit fails me;*
 do not hide your face from me
   or I shall be like those who go down to the Pit.
Let me hear of your lovingkindness in the morning,
   for I put my trust in you;*
 show me the road that I must walk,
   for I lift up my soul to you.
Deliver me from my enemies, O Lord,*
 for I flee to you for refuge.
Teach me to do what pleases you, for you are my God;*
 let your good Spirit lead me on level ground.
Revive me, O Lord, for your name's sake;*
 for your righteousness' sake, bring me out of trouble.

FIRST READING [Ezekiel 34:11-16]:

For thus says the Lord God: I myself will search for my sheep, and will seek them out.
As shepherds seek out their flocks when they are among their scattered sheep, so I will
seek out my sheep. I will rescue them from all the places to which they have been
scattered on a day of clouds and thick darkness. I will bring them out from the peoples
and gather them from the countries, and will bring them into their own land; and I will
feed them on the mountains of Israel, by the watercourses, and in all the inhabited
parts of the land. I will feed them with good pasture, and the mountain heights of
Israel shall be their pasture; there they shall lie down in good grazing land, and they
shall feed on rich pasture on the mountains of Israel. I myself will be the shepherd of
my sheep, and I will make them lie down, says the Lord God. I will seek the lost, and I
will bring back the strayed, and I will bind up the injured, and I will strengthen the
weak, but the fat and the strong I will destroy. I will feed them with justice.

HYMN
Words: Aurea luce, attributed to Elphis wife of Boethius (fl.493) translated by Thomas A
Lacey (1853-1931)
Tune: Annue Christe

With golden splendour and with roseate hues of morn,
O gracious Saviour, Light of light, this day adorn,
Which brings to ransomed sinners hopes of that far home
Where saints and angels sing the praise of martyrdom.

Lo, the Keybearer, lo, the Teacher of mankind,
Lights of the world and judges sent to loose and bind,
Alike triumphant or by cross or sword-stroke found,
In life's high Senate stand with victor's laurel crowned.

Good Shepherd, Peter, unto whom the charge was given
To close or open ways of pilgrimage to heaven,
In sin's hard bondage held may we have grace to know
The full remission thou wast granted to bestow.

O noble Teacher, Paul, we trust to learn of thee
Both earthly converse and the flight of ecstasy;
Till from the fading truths that now we know in part
We pass to fulness of delight for mind and heart.

Twin olive branches, pouring oil of gladness forth,
Your prayers shall aid us, that for all our little worth,
Believing, hoping, loving, we for whom ye plead,
This body dying, may attain to life indeed.

Now to the glorious Trinity be duly paid
Worship and honour, praise and service unafraid,
Who in unchanging Unity, one Lord sublime,
Hath ever lived as now and to unending time.

SECOND READING [Galatians 1:13-2:8]:

You have heard, no doubt, of my earlier life in Judaism.
I was violently persecuting the church of God and was
trying to destroy it. I advanced in Judaism beyond many
among my people of the same age, for I was far more
zealous for the traditions of my ancestors. But when God,
who had set me apart before I was born and called me
through his grace, was pleased to reveal his Son to me,
so that I might proclaim him among the Gentiles, I did
not confer with any human being, nor did I go up to
Jerusalem to those who were already apostles before me,
but I went away at once into Arabia, and afterwards I
returned to Damascus.
Then after three years I did go up to Jerusalem to visit
Cephas and stayed with him for fifteen days; but I did
not see any other apostle except James the Lord's
brother. In what I am writing to you, before God, I do
not lie! Then I went into the regions of Syria and
Cilicia, and I was still unknown by sight to the churches
of Judea that are in Christ; they only heard it said,
'The one who formerly was persecuting us is now
proclaiming the faith he once tried to destroy.' And they
glorified God because of me.
Then after fourteen years I went up again to Jerusalem
with Barnabas, taking Titus along with me. I went up in
response to a revelation. Then I laid before them (though
only in a private meeting with the acknowledged leaders)
the gospel that I proclaim among the Gentiles, in order
to make sure that I was not running, or had not run, in
vain. But even Titus, who was with me, was not compelled
to be circumcised, though he was a Greek. But because of
false believers secretly brought in, who slipped in to
spy on the freedom we have in Christ Jesus, so that they
might enslave us  we did not submit to them even for a
moment, so that the truth of the gospel might always
remain with you. And from those who were supposed to be
acknowledged leaders (what they actually were makes no
difference to me; God shows no partiality) those leaders
contributed nothing to me. On the contrary, when they saw
that I had been entrusted with the gospel for the
uncircumcised, just as Peter had been entrusted with the
gospel for the circumcised (for he who worked through
Peter making him an apostle to the circumcised also
worked through me in sending me to the Gentiles).

Encouraged by our fellowship with all the saints,
let us make our prayers to the Father through our Lord
Jesus Christ.

Father, your Son called men and women to leave the
past behind them and to follow him as his disciples in
the way of the cross.  Look with mercy upon those whom he
has called today, marked with the cross and made his
disciples within the Church.
     Lord have mercy.
     Christ have mercy.

Your Son told his disciples not to be afraid, and at
Easter breathed on them his gift of peace.  Look with
mercy upon the world into which he sent them out, and
give it that peace for which it longs
     Lord have mercy.
     Christ have mercy.

Your Son formed around him a company who were no
longer servants but friends, and he called all those who
obeyed him his brother and sister and mother.  Look with
mercy upon our families and friends and upon the
communities in which we share
     Lord have mercy.
     Christ have mercy.

Your Son sent out disciples to preach and to heal the
sick.  Look with mercy on all those who yearn to hear the
good news of salvation, and renew among your people the
gifts of healing
     Lord have mercy.
     Christ have mercy.

Your Son promised to those who followed him that they
would sit on thrones judging the twelve tribes of Israel
and would share the banquet of the kingdom.  According to
your promise, look with mercy on those who have walked
with Christ in this life and now have passed through
death
     Lord have mercy.
     Christ have mercy.

Pursuing, shepherding, and converting God,
your risen Son appeared to both Peter and Paul,
undoing their past,
claiming them for the work of your Church,
spilling them out as witnesses to a deeper love.
Undo and claim us,
that we too may finish the race
you set before us in Christ Jesus. Amen.

Teach us always to reverence and love
your holy name that you have revealed to us
in Jesus Christ our Lord.  Amen.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving is by Stephen Benner and is based on a
prayer in _We Give You Thanks and Praise: The Ambrosian Eucharistic

The intercession is from _Enriching the Christian Year_  SPCK,
compilation (c)Michael Perham 1993.

The collect is reprinted from _THE DAILY OFFICE: A Book of Hours
of Daily Prayer after the Use of the Order of Saint Luke_, (c) 1997
by The Order of Saint Luke. Used by permission.

The Confession of Peter ("Thou art the Christ, the Son of the Living God") is
commemorated on 18 January, and the Conversion of Paul (on the approach to Damascus)
a week later on 25 January. On 29 June we commemorate the martyrdoms of both
apostles. The date is the anniversary of a day around 258, under the Valerian persecution,
when what were believed to be the remains of the two apostles were both moved
temporarily to prevent them from falling into the hands of the persecutors.
The Scriptures do not record the deaths of Peter or Paul, or indeed any of the Apostles
except for James the son of Zebedee (Acts 12:2), but they are clearly anticipated (see the
readings below), and from an early date it has been said that they were martyred at Rome
at the command of the Emperor Nero, and buried there. As a Roman citizen, Paul would
probably have been beheaded with a sword. It is said of Peter that he was crucified head
downward. The present Church of St Peter in Rome replaces earlier churches built on the
same site going back to the time of the Emperor Constantine, in whose reign a church was
built there on what was believed to be the burial site of Peter. Excavations under the
church suggest that the belief is older than Constantine.
St. Augustine writes (Sermon 295): Both apostles share the same feast day, for these two
were one; and even though they suffered on different days, they were as one. Peter went
first, and Paul followed. And so we celebrate this day made holy for us by the apostles'
blood. Let us embrace what they believed, their life, their labors, their sufferings, their
preaching, and their confession of faith.