OREMUS: 24 June 2010

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Wed Jun 23 17:47:47 GMT 2010

OREMUS for Wednesday, June 24, 2009
The Birth of Saint John the Baptist

Blessed are you, Lord, the God of Israel,
you have come to your people and set them free.
You have raised up for us a mighty Saviour,
born of the house of your servant David.
Through your holy prophets, you promised of old
to save us from our enemies, from the hands of all who hate us,
to show mercy to our ancestors,
and to remember your holy covenant.
This was the oath God swore to our father, Abraham,
to set us free from the hands of our enemies,
free to worship you without fear,

Happy are they whose way is blameless,*
 who walk in the law of the Lord!
Happy are they who observe his decrees*
 and seek him with all their hearts!
Who never do any wrong,*
 but always walk in his ways.
You laid down your commandments,*
 that we should fully keep them.
O that my ways were made so direct*
 that I might keep your statutes!
Then I should not be put to shame,*
 when I regard all your commandments.
I will thank you with an unfeigned heart,*
 when I have learned your righteous judgements.
I will keep your statutes;*
 do not utterly forsake me.
How shall the young cleanse their way?*
 By keeping to your words.
With my whole heart I seek you;*
 let me not stray from your commandments.
I treasure your promise in my heart,*
 that I may not sin against you.
Blessed are you, O Lord;*
 instruct me in your statutes.
With my lips will I recite*
 all the judgements of your mouth.
I have taken greater delight in the way of your decrees*
 than in all manner of riches.
I will meditate on your commandments*
 and give attention to your ways.
My delight is in your statutes;*
 I will not forget your word.
Deal bountifully with your servant,*
 that I may live and keep your word.
Open my eyes, that I may see*
 the wonders of your law.
I am a stranger here on earth;*
 do not hide your commandments from me.
My soul is consumed at all times*
 with longing for your judgements.
You have rebuked the insolent;*
 cursed are they who stray from your commandments!
Turn from me shame and rebuke,*
 for I have kept your decrees.
Even though rulers sit and plot against me,*
 I will meditate on your statutes.
For your decrees are my delight,*
 and they are my counsellors.

My soul cleaves to the dust;*
 give me life according to your word.
I have confessed my ways and you answered me;*
 instruct me in your statutes.
Make me understand the way of your commandments,*
 that I may meditate on your marvellous works.
My soul melts away for sorrow;*
 strengthen me according to your word.
Take from me the way of lying;*
 let me find grace through your law.
I have chosen the way of faithfulness;*
 I have set your judgements before me.
I hold fast to your decrees;*
 O Lord, let me not be put to shame.
I will run the way of your commandments,*
 for you have set my heart at liberty.

FIRST READING [Malachi 4]:

See, the day is coming, burning like an oven, when all the arrogant and all evildoers
will be stubble; the day that comes shall burn them up, says the Lord of hosts, so that
it will leave them neither root nor branch. But for you who revere my name the sun of
righteousness shall rise, with healing in its wings. You shall go out leaping like calves
from the stall. And you shall tread down the wicked, for they will be ashes under the
soles of your feet, on the day when I act, says the Lord of hosts.
Remember the teaching of my servant Moses, the statutes and ordinances that I
commanded him at Horeb for all Israel.
Lo, I will send you the prophet Elijah before the great and terrible day of the Lord
comes. He will turn the hearts of parents to their children and the hearts of children to
their parents, so that I will not come and strike the land with a curse.

HYMN
Words:  Paul the Deacon (730-799);
Trans. C. S. Phillips (1883-1949) (c) Used with permission.
Tune: Lobet den Herren, Ut queant laxis

Sing we the praises of the great forerunner,
tell forth the mighty wonders of his story:
so may his Master cleanse our lips and make them
fit to extol him.

Lo, God's high herald, swift from heaven descending,
gives to thy father tidings of thy coming,
telling thy name and all the tale of marvels
that shall befall thee.

Oft had the prophets in the time before thee
spoken in vision of the Daystar's coming;
but when he came, 'twas thou that didst proclaim him
Savior of all men.

SECOND READING [Matthew 11:2-19]:

When John heard in prison what the Messiah was doing, he sent word by his disciples
and said to him, 'Are you the one who is to come, or are we to wait for another?'
Jesus answered them, 'Go and tell John what you hear and see: the blind receive their
sight, the lame walk, the lepers are cleansed, the deaf hear, the dead are raised, and the
poor have good news brought to them. And blessed is anyone who takes no offence at
me.'
As they went away, Jesus began to speak to the crowds about John: 'What did you go
out into the wilderness to look at? A reed shaken by the wind? What then did you go
out to see? Someone dressed in soft robes? Look, those who wear soft robes are in
royal palaces. What then did you go out to see? A prophet? Yes, I tell you, and more
than a prophet. This is the one about whom it is written,
"See, I am sending my messenger ahead of you,
   who will prepare your way before you."
Truly I tell you, among those born of women no one has arisen greater than John the
Baptist; yet the least in the kingdom of heaven is greater than he. From the days of
John the Baptist until now the kingdom of heaven has suffered violence, and the
violent take it by force. For all the prophets and the law prophesied until John came;
and if you are willing to accept it, he is Elijah who is to come. Let anyone with ears
listen!

 'But to what will I compare this generation? It is like children sitting in the
market-places and calling to one another,
"We played the flute for you, and you did not dance;
   we wailed, and you did not mourn."
For John came neither eating nor drinking, and they say, "He has a demon"; the Son of
Man came eating and drinking, and they say, "Look, a glutton and a drunkard, a friend
of tax-collectors and sinners!" Yet wisdom is vindicated by her deeds.'

In the power of the Spirit and in union with Christ,
let us pray to the Father, saying
Jesus, Lamb of God,
have mercy on us.

Lord God,
who promised Zechariah a son
   filled with with the spirit and power of Elijah,
to prepare a people fit for the Lord
   we pray for reconciliation between all people,
Jesus, Lamb of God,
have mercy on us.

Lord God,
when Elizabeth heard Mary's greeting
the baby leapt in her womb
   may we bless among women she who believed your promise,
   and proclaim with joy the good news of your Christ.
Jesus, Lamb of God,
have mercy on us.

Lord God,
at John's birth Zechariah proclaimed
he would be the prophet of the Most High
   we pray for all who preach the Good News.
Jesus, Lamb of God,
have mercy on us.

Lord God,
when your Son came to the Jordan and was baptized by John
he saw the heavens open and the Spirit descending as a dove
   may we who are baptized into your Church
   faithfully proclaim in the world the words of your beloved Son.
Jesus, Lamb of God,
have mercy on us.

Lord God,
John proclaimed your Son as 'the Lamb of God'
and John's disciples followed Jesus
   help us to follow him too,
   and by our words and deeds
  to bring our families and friends closer to you.
Jesus, Lamb of God,
have mercy on us.

Lord God,
who sent John to witness to the light,
to be the voice of one crying in the wilderness
and to prepare the way of the Lord
   comfort your people
   and bring your healing to the sick and needy,
   to the broken-hearted and the oppressed,
   to prisoners and captives.
Jesus, Lamb of God,
have mercy on us.

Lord God,
John preached the baptism of repentance for the forgiveness of sins
and suffered imprisonment and death for proclaiming your Law
   we pray with and for all who have died in your service,
   joining our prayers with John the Baptist, and all the saints,
   and grant us with them a share in your eternal kingdom.
Jesus, Lamb of God,
have mercy on us.

In the tender compassion of our God,
the dawn from on high shall break upon us
Shine, Lord, on those who dwell in darkness and the shadow of death
and guide our feet into the way of peace.
Merciful Father,
Accept these prayers
for the sake of your Son,
our Saviour Jesus Christ.  Amen.

Almighty God,
by whose providence your servant John the Baptist
was wonderfully born,
and sent to prepare the way of your Son our Saviour
by preaching repentance
lead us to repent according to his preaching,
and, after his example,
constantly to speak the truth, boldly to rebuke vice,
and patiently to suffer for the truth's sake;

God of crooked ways made straight,
cause us always to rejoice in the approach of Jesus. Amen.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving is adapted from Luke 1:68-75, ELLC
version.

The intercession is by Simon Kershaw.

The collect is from _Common Worship: Services and Prayers for the
Church of England_, material from which is included in this service is

The closing sentence is adapted from a prayer reprinted from _THE
DAILY OFFICE: A Book of Hours of Daily Prayer after the Use of the Order
of Saint Luke_, (c) 1997 by The Order of Saint Luke. Used by
permission.

Hymn (c) 1932 Hope Publishing Company, Carol Stream, IL 60188.
For permission to reproduce this hymn in all territories except the UK, contact:
Hope Publishing Company,
www.hopepublishing.com
In the UK, contact:  Hymns Ancient & Modern Ltd.,
St. Mary's Works, St. Mary's Plain, Norwich, Norfolk  NR3 3BH  England