OREMUS: 25 July 2010

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sat Jul 24 17:00:00 GMT 2010

OREMUS for Sunday, July 25, 2010
Saint James the Apostle

Blessed are you, merciful God,
for your holy apostle Saint James,
who left his father and all that he had,
and was obedient to the calling of your Son Jesus Christ
and followed him even to death:

Teach me, O Lord, the way of your statutes,*
 and I shall keep it to the end.

Give me understanding and I shall keep your law;*
 I shall keep it with all my heart.
Make me go in the path of your commandments,*
 for that is my desire.
Incline my heart to your decrees*
 and not to unjust gain.
Turn my eyes from watching what is worthless;*
 give me life in your ways.
Fulfil your promise to your servant,*
 which you make to those who fear you.
Turn away the reproach which I dread,*
 because your judgements are good.
Behold, I long for your commandments;*
 in your righteousness preserve my life.
Psalm 119:41-48

Let your lovingkindness come to me, O Lord,*
 and your salvation, according to your promise.
Then shall I have a word for those who taunt me,*
 because I trust in your words.
Do not take the word of truth out of my mouth,*
 for my hope is in your judgements.
I shall continue to keep your law;*
 I shall keep it for ever and ever.
I will walk at liberty,*
 because I study your commandments.
I will tell of your decrees before kings*
 and will not be ashamed.
I delight in your commandments,*
 which I have always loved.
I will lift up my hands to your commandments,*
 and I will meditate on your statutes.
Psalm 119:49-56

Remember your word to your servant,*
 because you have given me hope.
This is my comfort in my trouble,*
 that your promise gives me life.
The proud have derided me cruelly,*

 but I have not turned from your law.
When I remember your judgements of old,*
 O Lord, I take great comfort.
I am filled with a burning rage,*
 because of the wicked who forsake your law.
Your statutes have been like songs to me*
 wherever I have lived as a stranger.
I remember your name in the night, O Lord,*
 and dwell upon your law.
This is how it has been with me,*
 because I have kept your commandments.
Psalm 119:57-64

You only are my portion, O Lord;*
 I have promised to keep your words.
I entreat you with all my heart,*
 be merciful to me according to your promise.

I have considered my ways*
 and turned my feet towards your decrees.
I hasten and do not tarry*
 to keep your commandments.
Though the cords of the wicked entangle me,*
 I do not forget your law.
At midnight I will rise to give you thanks,*
 because of your righteous judgements.
I am a companion of all who fear you*
 and of those who keep your commandments.
The earth, O Lord, is full of your love;*
 instruct me in your statutes.
Psalm 119:65-72

O Lord, you have dealt graciously with your servant,*
 according to your word.
Teach me discernment and knowledge,*
 for I have believed in your commandments.
Before I was afflicted I went astray,*
 but now I keep your word.
You are good and you bring forth good;*
 instruct me in your statutes.
The proud have smeared me with lies,*
 but I will keep your commandments
   with my whole heart.
Their heart is gross and fat,*
 but my delight is in your law.
It is good for me that I have been afflicted,*
 that I might learn your statutes.
The law of your mouth is dearer to me*
 than thousands in gold and silver.

FIRST READING [Jeremiah 26:8-15]:

When Jeremiah had finished speaking all that the Lord had commanded him to speak
to all the people, then the priests and the prophets and all the people laid hold of him,
saying, 'You shall die! Why have you prophesied in the name of the Lord, saying,
"This house shall be like Shiloh, and this city shall be desolate, without inhabitant"?'
And all the people gathered around Jeremiah in the house of the Lord.
When the officials of Judah heard these things, they came up from the king's house to
the house of the Lord and took their seat in the entry of the New Gate of the house of
the Lord. Then the priests and the prophets said to the officials and to all the people,
'This man deserves the sentence of death because he has prophesied against this city,
as you have heard with your own ears.'
Then Jeremiah spoke to all the officials and all the people, saying, 'It is the Lord who
sent me to prophesy against this house and this city all the words you have heard. Now
therefore amend your ways and your doings, and obey the voice of the Lord your
God, and the Lord will change his mind about the disaster that he has pronounced
against you. But as for me, here I am in your hands. Do with me as seems good and
right to you. Only know for certain that if you put me to death, you will be bringing
innocent blood upon yourselves and upon this city and its inhabitants, for in truth the
Lord sent me to you to speak all these words in your ears.'

HYMN
Words: Scottish Paraphrase, 1745;
as altered in the Hymnal of 1826
Tune: St. Fulbert, St. Flavian

Lo! what a cloud of witnesses
encompass us around!
Men once like us with suffering tried,
but now with glory crowned.

Let us, with zeal like theirs inspired,
strive in the Christian race;
and, freed from every weight of sin,
their holy footsteps trace.

Behold a Witness nobler still,
who trod affliction's path:
Jesus, the author, finisher,
rewarder of our faith.

He, for the joy before him set,
and moved by pitying love,
endured the cross, despised the shame,
and now he reigns above.

Thither, forgetting things behind,
press we to God's right hand;
there, with the Savior and his saints,
triumphantly to stand.

SECOND READING [Matthew 10:16-32]:

Jesus said, 'See, I am sending you out like sheep into the midst of wolves; so be wise
as serpents and innocent as doves. Beware of them, for they will hand you over to
councils and flog you in their synagogues; and you will be dragged before governors
and kings because of me, as a testimony to them and the Gentiles. When they hand you
over, do not worry about how you are to speak or what you are to say; for what you
are to say will be given to you at that time; for it is not you who speak, but the Spirit
of your Father speaking through you. Brother will betray brother to death, and a father
his child, and children will rise against parents and have them put to death; and you
will be hated by all because of my name. But the one who endures to the end will be
saved. When they persecute you in one town, flee to the next; for truly I tell you, you
will not have gone through all the towns of Israel before the Son of Man comes.
'A disciple is not above the teacher, nor a slave above the master; it is enough for the
disciple to be like the teacher, and the slave like the master. If they have called the
master of the house Beelzebul, how much more will they malign those of his
household!
'So have no fear of them; for nothing is covered up that will not be uncovered, and
nothing secret that will not become known. What I say to you in the dark, tell in the
light; and what you hear whispered, proclaim from the housetops. Do not fear those
who kill the body but cannot kill the soul; rather fear him who can destroy both soul
and body in hell. Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? Yet not one of them will fall
to the ground unperceived by your Father. And even the hairs of your head are all
counted. So do not be afraid; you are of more value than many sparrows.
'Everyone therefore who acknowledges me before others, I also will acknowledge
before my Father in heaven.'

Let us pray to God,
whose word was entrusted to the Apostles
and has spread to all the world.

Empower your Church
to proclaim the saving message of Jesus Christ.
Lord of mercy,
spread your word.

Give us courage and strength
to spread the Gospel in places
where it has not been preached.
Lord of mercy,
spread your word.

Bless us in our personal lives
that we may live fully according to Jesus' example.
Lord of mercy,
spread your word.

Open our eyes to your Word in the Holy Scriptures
that we find new paths of understanding.
Lord of mercy,
spread your word.

Remember, in your mercy, those who have gone before
marked with the sign of faith and led by the Gospel.
Lord of mercy,
spread your word.

O gracious God,
whose apostle James left his father
and all that he had,
and without delay obeyed the call
of your Son Jesus Christ:
Pour out upon the leaders of your Church
the same spirit of self-denying service
by which alone they may have true authority
among your people;
one God, now and forever. Amen.

Enrich us abundantly with your grace, O Lord,
that, firm in faith, secure in hope, and constant in love,
we may keep your commandments with watchful care. Amen.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving is by Stephen Benner and is loosely based
on a prayer by Leslie Brandt.

The collect is from _A Prayer Book for Australia_. (c) 1995,
The Anglican Church of Australia Trust Corporation.

The intercession is by Stephen Benner, and is based loosely on a prayer by
Raymond Chapman in _Leading Intercessions_, (c) 2000,
Canterbury Press.

James the son of Zebedee and his brother John were among the twelve
disciples of Our Lord. They, together with Peter, were privileged to behold the
Transfiguration , to witness the healing of Peter's mother-in-law (P 1:29) and
the raising of the daughter of Jairus, and to be called aside to watch and pray
with Jesus in the garden of Gethsemane on the night before His death.
James and John were apparently from a higher social level than the average
fisherman. Their father could afford hired servants, and John (assuming him to
be identical with the "beloved disciple") had connections with the high priest.
Jesus nicknamed the two brothers "sons of thunder", perhaps meaning that
they were headstrong, hot-tempered, and impulsive; and so they seem to be in
two incidents reported in the Gospels. On one occasion, Jesus and the disciples
were refused the hospitality of a Samaritan village, and James and John
proposed to call down fire from heaven on the offenders. On another occasion
, they asked Jesus for a special place of honor in the Kingdom, and were told
that the place of honor is the place of suffering.
Finally, about AD 42, shortly before Passover (Acts 12), James was beheaded
by order of King Herod Agrippa I, grandson of Herod the Great (who tried to
kill the infant Jesus--Matthew 2), nephew of Herod Antipas (who killed John
the Baptist--Mark 6--and examined Jesus on Good Friday--Luke 23), and
father of Herod Agrippa II (who heard the defence of Paul before Festus--Acts
25). James was the first of the Twelve to suffer martyrdom, and the only one of
the Twelve whose death is recorded in the New Testament.
James is often called James Major (= greater or elder) to distinguish him from
other New Testament persons called James. Tradition has it that he made a
missionary journey to Spain, and that after his death his body was taken to
Spain and buried there. at Compostela. His supposed burial place there was a
major site of pilgrimage in the Middle Ages. [James Kiefer, abridged]