OREMUS: 22 July 2010

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Wed Jul 21 17:00:10 GMT 2010

OREMUS for Thursday, July 22, 2009
Saint Mary Magdalene

Blessed are you, gentle and tender God,
for your saint Mary Magdalen,
whom you gave the courage to love
and follow your Son to the cross.
Seeking her Teacher after his death,
so great was her longing
that you made her the first
to behold him, risen from the dead,
and the first to announce
that the Lord had risen to new and glorious life.
For this example of faith and hope,
we praise you, Father, Son and Holy Spirit:

 and his mercy endures for ever.
Let all those whom the Lord has redeemed proclaim*
 that he redeemed them from the hand of the foe.
He gathered them out of the lands;*
 from the east and from the west,
   from the north and from the south.
Some wandered in desert wastes;*
 they found no way to a city where they might dwell.
They were hungry and thirsty;*
 their spirits languished within them.
Then they cried to the Lord in their trouble,*
 and he delivered them from their distress.
He put their feet on a straight path*
 to go to a city where they might dwell.
Let them give thanks to the Lord for his mercy*
 and the wonders he does for his children.
For he satisfies the thirsty*
 and fills the hungry with good things.
Some sat in darkness and deep gloom,*
 bound fast in misery and iron;
Because they rebelled against the words of God*
 and despised the counsel of the Most High.
So he humbled their spirits with hard labour;*
 they stumbled and there was none to help.
Then they cried to the Lord in their trouble,*
 and he delivered them from their distress.
He led them out of darkness and deep gloom*
 and broke their bonds asunder.
Let them give thanks to the Lord for his mercy*
 and the wonders he does for his children.
For he shatters the doors of bronze*
 and breaks in two the iron bars.
Some were fools and took to rebellious ways;*
 they were afflicted because of their sins.
They abhorred all manner of food*
 and drew near to death's door.
Then they cried to the Lord in their trouble,*
 and he delivered them from their distress.
He sent forth his word and healed them*
 and saved them from the grave.
Let them give thanks to the Lord for his mercy*
 and the wonders he does for his children.
Let them offer a sacrifice of thanksgiving*
 and tell of his acts with shouts of joy.
Some went down to the sea in ships*
 and plied their trade in deep waters;
They beheld the works of the Lord*
 and his wonders in the deep.
Then he spoke and a stormy wind arose,*
 which tossed high the waves of the sea.
They mounted up to the heavens
   and fell back to the depths;*
 their hearts melted because of their peril.
They reeled and staggered like drunkards*
 and were at their wits' end.
Then they cried to the Lord in their trouble,*
 and he delivered them from their distress.
He stilled the storm to a whisper*
 and quieted the waves of the sea.
Then were they glad because of the calm,*
 and he brought them
   to the harbour they were bound for.
Let them give thanks to the Lord for his mercy*
 and the wonders he does for his children.
Let them exalt him in the congregation of the people*
 and praise him in the council of the elders.
The Lord changed rivers into deserts,*
 and watersprings into thirsty ground,
A fruitful land into salt flats,*
 because of the wickedness of those who dwell there.
He changed deserts into pools of water*
 and dry land into watersprings.
He settled the hungry there,*
 and they founded a city to dwell in.
They sowed fields and planted vineyards,*
 and brought in a fruitful harvest.
He blessed them, so that they increased greatly;*
 he did not let their herds decrease.
Yet when they were diminished and brought low,*
 through stress of adversity and sorrow,
He lifted up the poor out of misery*
 and multiplied their families like flocks of sheep.
He pours contempt on princes*
 and makes them wander in trackless wastes.
The upright will see this and rejoice,*
 but all wickedness will shut its mouth.
Whoever is wise will ponder these things,*
 and consider well the mercies of the Lord.

FIRST READING [Song of Solomon 3:1-4]:

Upon my bed at night
   I sought him whom my soul loves;
I sought him, but found him not;
   I called him, but he gave no answer.
'I will rise now and go about the city,
   in the streets and in the squares;
I will seek him whom my soul loves.'
   I sought him, but found him not.
The sentinels found me,
   as they went about in the city.
'Have you seen him whom my soul loves?'
Scarcely had I passed them,
   when I found him whom my soul loves.
I held him, and would not let him go
   until I brought him into my mother's house,
   and into the chamber of her that conceived me.

HYMN
Words: Latin; trans. Elizabeth Rundle Charles (1828-1896), alt.
Tune: W zlobie lezy

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/l/l136.html

Lift your voice rejoicing, Mary,
Christ has risen from the tomb;
on the cross a suffering victim,
now as victor he is come.
Whom your tears in death were mourning,
welcome with your smiles returning.
Let your alleluias rise!

Raise your weary eyelids, Mary,
see him living evermore;
see his countenance how gracious,
see the wounds for you he bore.
All the glory of the morning
pales before those wounds redeeming.
Let your alleluias rise!

Life is yours for ever, Mary,
for your light is come once more
and the strength of death is broken;
now your songs of joy outpour.
Ended now the night of sorrow,
love has brought the blessed morrow.
Let your alleluias rise.

SECOND READING [John 20:1-2,11-18]:

Early on the first day of the week, while it was still
dark, Mary Magdalene came to the tomb and saw that the
stone had been removed from the tomb. So she ran and went
to Simon Peter and the other disciple, the one whom Jesus
loved, and said to them, 'They have taken the Lord out of
the tomb, and we do not know where they have laid
him.'
But Mary stood weeping outside the tomb. As she wept, she
bent over to look into the tomb; and she saw two angels
in white, sitting where the body of Jesus had been lying,
one at the head and the other at the feet. They said to
her, 'Woman, why are you weeping?' She said to them,
'They have taken away my Lord, and I do not know where
they have laid him.' When she had said this, she turned
round and saw Jesus standing there, but she did not know
that it was Jesus. Jesus said to her, 'Woman, why are you
weeping? For whom are you looking?' Supposing him to be
the gardener, she said to him, 'Sir, if you have carried
him away, tell me where you have laid him, and I will
take him away.' Jesus said to her, 'Mary!' She turned and
said to him in Hebrew, 'Rabbouni!' (which means Teacher).
Jesus said to her, 'Do not hold on to me, because I have
not yet ascended to the Father. But go to my brothers and
say to them, "I am ascending to my Father and your
Father, to my God and your God." ' Mary Magdalene went
and announced to the disciples, 'I have seen the Lord';
and she told them that he had said these things to her.

Almighty and merciful God, we give you thanks
that Mary Magdalene found healing in her encounter
with the risen Christ.

Give wholeness and peace to all those in need: the sick,
the unloved and the forgotten, the poor and the hungry,
the dying and the bereaved.

Lord, in your mercy, hear our prayer.

Grant us the persistent faith of Mary Magdalen
and the surprised belief of Peter and John:

Lord, in your mercy, hear our prayer.

Guide all your baptized people who struggle to know
and to do your will in the kingdoms of this world,
that by their lives we may show forth the new life in
Christ to all nation.

Lord, in your mercy, hear our prayer.

Send your grace on your Church, that it may live the great commission:
proclaiming the gospel in community, Eucharist, and servanthood ministry.

Lord, in your mercy, hear our prayer.

Almighty God,
whose blessed Son restored Mary Magdalene
to health of body and of mind,
and called her to be a witness of his resurrection:
Mercifully grant that by your grace
we may be healed from all our infirmities
and know you in the power of his unending life;
who with you and the Holy Spirit lives and reigns,

Enrich us abundantly with your grace, O Lord,
that, firm in faith, secure in hope, and constant in love,
we may keep your commandments with watchful care. Amen.

Mary Magdalene is mentioned in the Gospels as being among the women of
Galilee who followed Jesus and His disciples, and who was present at His
Crucifixion and Burial, and who went to the tomb on Easter Sunday to annoint
His body. She was the first to see the Risen Lord, and to announce His
Resurrection to the apostles. Accordingly, she is referred to in early Christian
writings as "the apostle to the apostles."

Mary Magdalene, Mary of Bethany (sister of Martha and Lazarus), and the
unnamed penitent woman who annointed Jesus's feet (Luke 7:36-48) are
sometimes supposed to be the same woman. From this, plus the statement that
Jesus had cast seven demons out of her (Luke 8:2), has risen the tradition that
she had been a prostitute before she met Jesus.

Because of the assumption that Mary Magdalene had been a spectacular sinner,
and also perhaps because she is described as weeping at the tomb of Jesus on
the Resurrection morning, she is often portrayed in art as weeping, or with
eyes red from having wept. From this appearance we derive the English word
"maudlin", meaning "effusively or tearfully sentimental." There is a Magdalen
College at Oxford, and a Magdalene College at Cambridge (different spelling),
both pronounced "Maudlin." [James Kiefer]