OREMUS: 15 January 2010

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Thu Jan 14 17:00:10 GMT 2010

OREMUS for Friday, January 15, 2010
Richard Meux Benson, Religious,
Founder of the Society of Saint John the Evangelist, 1915

Blessed are you, God of wonderful knowledge,
whose voice calls each of us by name.
You confounded our expectation
by revealing yourself to the lowly
and you also confound our fear
that we may not be afraid
to face the powerful of this earth
with your word of judgment,
in the sure knowledge
that nothing spoken in your name will be lost.

We give you thanks, O God, we give you thanks,*
 calling upon your name
   and declaring all your wonderful deeds.
'I will appoint a time,' says God;*
 'I will judge with equity.
'Though the earth and all its inhabitants are quaking,*
 I will make its pillars fast.
'I will say to the boasters, "Boast no more",*
 and to the wicked, "Do not toss your horns;
'"Do not toss your horns so high,*
 nor speak with a proud neck."'
For judgement is neither from the east
   nor from the west,*
 nor yet from the wilderness or the mountains.
It is God who judges;*
 he puts down one and lifts up another.
For in the Lord's hand there is a cup,
   full of spiced and foaming wine, which he pours out,*
 and all the wicked of the earth
   shall drink and drain the dregs.
But I will rejoice for ever;*
 I will sing praises to the God of Jacob.
He shall break off all the horns of the wicked;*
 but the horns of the righteous shall be exalted.

Psalm 76

In Judah is God known;*
 his name is great in Israel.
At Salem is his tabernacle,*
 and his dwelling is in Zion.
There he broke the flashing arrows,*
 the shield, the sword and the weapons of battle.
How glorious you are!*
 more splendid than the everlasting mountains!
The strong of heart have been despoiled;
   they sink into sleep;*
 none of the warriors can lift a hand.
At your rebuke, O God of Jacob,*
 both horse and rider lie stunned.
What terror you inspire!*
 who can stand before you when you are angry?
>From heaven you pronounced judgement;*
 the earth was afraid and was still;
When God rose up to judgement*
 and to save all the oppressed of the earth.
Truly, wrathful Edom will give you thanks,*
 and the remnant of Hamath will keep your feasts.
Make a vow to the Lord your God and keep it;*
 let all around him bring gifts
   to him who is worthy to be feared.
He breaks the spirit of princes,*
 and strikes terror in the kings of the earth.

Psalm 77

I will cry aloud to God;*
 I will cry aloud and he will hear me.
In the day of my trouble I sought the Lord;*
 my hands were stretched out by night and did not tire;
   I refused to be comforted.
I think of God, I am restless,*
 I ponder and my spirit faints.
You will not let my eyelids close;*
 I am troubled and I cannot speak.
I consider the days of old;*
 I remember the years long past;
I commune with my heart in the night;*
 I ponder and search my mind.
Will the Lord cast me off for ever?*
 will he no more show his favour?
Has his lovingkindness come to an end for ever?*
 has his promise failed for evermore?
Has God forgotten to be gracious?*
 has he, in his anger, withheld his compassion?
And I said, 'My grief is this:*
 the right hand of the Most High has lost its power.'
I will remember the works of the Lord,*
 and call to mind your wonders of old time.
I will meditate on all your acts*
 and ponder your mighty deeds.
Your way, O God, is holy;*
 who is so great a god as our God?
You are the God who works wonders*
 and have declared your power among the peoples.
By your strength you have redeemed your people,*
 the children of Jacob and Joseph.
The waters saw you, O God;
   the waters saw you and trembled;*
 the very depths were shaken.
The clouds poured out water; the skies thundered;*
 your arrows flashed to and fro;
The sound of your thunder was in the whirlwind;
   your lightnings lit up the world;*
 the earth trembled and shook.
Your way was in the sea,
   and your paths in the great waters,*
 yet your footsteps were not seen.
You led your people like a flock*
 by the hand of Moses and Aaron.

FIRST READING [Proverbs 3:27-end]:

Do not withhold good from those to whom it is due,
   when it is in your power to do it.
Do not say to your neighbour, ‘Go, and come again;
   tomorrow I will give it’—when you have it with you.
Do not plan harm against your neighbour
   who lives trustingly beside you.
Do not quarrel with anyone without cause,
   when no harm has been done to you.
Do not envy the violent
   and do not choose any of their ways;
for the perverse are an abomination to the Lord,
   but the upright are in his confidence.
The Lord’s curse is on the house of the wicked,
   but he blesses the abode of the righteous.
Towards the scorners he is scornful,
   but to the humble he shows favour.
The wise will inherit honour,
   but stubborn fools, disgrace.

HYMN
Words: Richard Meux Benson (1824-1915)
Tune: Meter 77 77

Praise to God who reigns above,
Binding earth and heaven in love;
All the armies of the sky
Worship his dread sovereignty.

Seraphim his praises sing,
Cherubim on fourfold wing,
Thrones, Dominions, Princes, Powers,
Marshalled might that never cowers.

Speeds the Archangel from his face,
Bearing messages of grace;
Angel hosts his words fulfil,
Ruling nature by his will.

Yet on man they joy to wait,
All that bright celestial state,
For in Man their Lord they see,
Christ, the incarnate Deity.

On the throne their Lord who died
Sits in Manhood glorified;
Where his people faint below
Angels count it joy to go.

O the depths of joy divine
Thrilling through those orders nine,
When the lost are found again,
When the banished come to reign!

Now in faith, in hope, in love,
We will join the choirs above,
Praising, with the heavenly host,
Father, Son, and Holy Ghost.

SECOND READING [John 2:13-end]:

The Passover of the Jews was near, and Jesus went up to Jerusalem. In the temple he found people selling cattle, sheep, and doves, and the money-changers seated at their tables. Making a whip of cords, he drove all of them out of the temple, both the sheep and the cattle. He also poured out the coins of the money-changers and overturned their tables. He told those who were selling the doves, ‘Take these things out of here! Stop making my Father’s house a market-place!’ His disciples remembered that it was written, ‘Zeal for your house will consume me.’ The Jews then said to him, ‘What sign can you show us for doing this?’ Jesus answered them, ‘Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up.’ The Jews then said, ‘This temple has been under construction for forty-six years, and will you raise it up in three days?’ But he was speaking of the temple of his body. After he was raised from the dead, his disciples remembered that he had said this; and they believed the scripture and the word that Jesus had spoken.

When he was in Jerusalem during the Passover festival, many believed in his name because they saw the signs that he was doing. But Jesus on his part would not entrust himself to them, because he knew all people and needed no one to testify about anyone; for he himself knew what was in everyone.

Let us pray to God for the coming of the Kingdom:

O God, into the pain of the tortured:
breathe stillness.

Into the hunger of those deprived:
breathe fullness.

Into those who have died in you:
breathe life.

Into those who long for you:
breathe your presence.

Into your Church, especially the Diocese of
shed forth your renewing Spirit.

Your kingdom come, your will be done:
For the kingdom, the power and the glory
are yours, now and for ever. Amen.

Almighty God,
look mercifully upon the world,
redeemed by the blood of thy dear Son,
and send forth many more to do the work of the ministry,
that perishing souls may be rescued,
and thy glorious triumph may be hastened
by the perfecting of thine elect
through the same thy Son, Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Blessed are you, eternal God,
for your servant Richard Meux Benson,
who heeded your call to holiness
and nurtured in others, far and near,
the vocation of constant union with Christ.
Heal our intentions and transfigure our wills,
that our lives may be filled
with the harmony of your life;

Lift up the light of your countenance on us, O God.,
that we may be faithful to your commandments
and always do what is right and good;

_Celebrating the Christian Year_ (c) Canterbury Press, Norwich.

The first collect is by Fr. Benson and the second collect is from _For All the Saints_, (c) General Synod of the Anglican Church of Canada, 1994.

A biography of Richard Meux Benson can be found at

http://justus.anglican.org/resources/pc/bios/rmbenson.html.