OREMUS: 13 January 2010

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Tue Jan 12 17:00:10 GMT 2010

OREMUS for Wednesday, January 13, 2009
Hilary, Bishop of Poitiers, Teacher of the Faith, 367

Blessed are you, God of wonderful knowledge,
whose voice calls each of us by name.
You confounded our expectation
by revealing yourself to the lowly
and you also confound our fear
that we may not be afraid
to face the powerful of this earth
with your word of judgment,
in the sure knowledge
that nothing spoken in your name will be lost.

Psalm 68 [CCP]

Let God arise and let his enemies be scattered;*
 let those who hate him flee before him.
Let them vanish like smoke
   when the wind drives it away;*
 as the wax melts at the fire,
   so let the wicked perish at the presence of God.
But let the righteous be glad and rejoice before God;*
 let them also be merry and joyful.
Sing to God, sing praises to his name;
   exalt him who rides upon the heavens;*
 Yahweh is his name, rejoice before him!
Father of orphans, defender of widows,*
 God in his holy habitation!
God gives the solitary a home

   and brings forth prisoners into freedom;*
 but the rebels shall live in dry places.
O God, when you went forth before your people,*
 when you marched through the wilderness,
The earth shook and the skies poured down rain,
   at the presence of God, the God of Sinai,*
 at the presence of God, the God of Israel.
You sent a gracious rain, O God, upon your inheritance;*
 you refreshed the land when it was weary.
Your people found their home in it;*
 in your goodness, O God,
   you have made provision for the poor.
The Lord gave the word;*
 great was the company of women who bore the tidings:
'Kings with their armies are fleeing away;*
 the women at home are dividing the spoils.'
Though you lingered among the sheepfolds,*
 you shall be like a dove
   whose wings are covered with silver,
   whose feathers are like green gold.
When the Almighty scattered kings,*
 it was like snow falling in Zalmon.
O mighty mountain, O hill of Bashan!*
 O rugged mountain, O hill of Bashan!
Why do you look with envy, O rugged mountain,
   at the hill which God chose for his resting place?*
 truly, the Lord will dwell there for ever.
The chariots of God are twenty thousand,
   even thousands of thousands;*
 the Lord comes in holiness from Sinai.
You have gone up on high and led captivity captive;
   you have received gifts even from your enemies,*
 that the Lord God might dwell among them.
Blessed be the Lord day by day,*
 the God of our salvation, who bears our burdens.
He is our God, the God of our salvation;*
 God is the Lord, by whom we escape death.
Your procession is seen, O God,*
 your procession into the sanctuary, my God and my King.
The singers go before, musicians follow after,*
 in the midst of maidens playing upon the handdrums.
Bless God in the congregation;*
 bless the Lord, you that are of the fountain of Israel.
There is Benjamin, least of the tribes, at the head;
   the princes of Judah in a company;*
 and the princes of Zebulon and Naphtali.
Send forth your strength, O God;*
 establish, O God, what you have wrought for us.
Kings shall bring gifts to you,*
 for your temple's sake at Jerusalem.
Rebuke the wild beast of the reeds,*
 and the peoples, a herd of wild bulls with its calves.
Trample down those who lust after silver;*
 scatter the peoples that delight in war.
Let tribute be brought out of Egypt;*
 let Ethiopia stretch out her hands to God.
Sing to God, O kingdoms of the earth;*
 sing praises to the Lord.
He rides in the heavens, the ancient heavens;*
 he sends forth his voice, his mighty voice.
Ascribe power to God;*
 his majesty is over Israel;
   his strength is in the skies.
How wonderful is God in his holy places!*
 the God of Israel giving strength and power to his people!
   Blessed be God!

FIRST READING [Proverbs 3:1-7, 11-12]:

My child, do not forget my teaching,
   but let your heart keep my commandments;
for length of days and years of life
   and abundant welfare they will give you.

Do not let loyalty and faithfulness forsake you;
   bind them round your neck,
   write them on the tablet of your heart.
So you will find favour and good repute
   in the sight of God and of people.

Trust in the Lord with all your heart,
   and do not rely on your own insight.
In all your ways acknowledge him,
   and he will make straight your paths.
Do not be wise in your own eyes;
   fear the Lord, and turn away from evil.
My child, do not despise the Lord’s discipline
   or be weary of his reproof,
for the Lord reproves the one he loves,
   as a father the son in whom he delights.

HYMN
Words: Beata nobis gaudia, attributed to Hilary of Poitiers (c.315-368) translated by John Ellerton (1826-1893)
Tune: Gonfalon Royal

O joy, because the circling year
Hath brought our day of blessing here!
The day when first the light divine
Upon the Church began to shine.

Like unto quivering tongues of flame
Upon each one the Spirit came:
Tongues, that the earth might hear their call,
And fire, that love might burn in all.

Thus unto all was spread abroad
The wonder of the works of God;
They knew the prophet's word fulfilled,
And owned the work which God had willed.

While hardened scoffers vainly jeered,
The listening strangers heard and feared;
They knew the prophet's word fulfilled,
And owned the work which God had willed.

Of old in every hallowed breast
Thou camest in thy grace to rest:
O grant us now from sin release,
And in our time, good Lord, give peace.

Praise we the Father and the Son,
And Holy Spirit with them One:
And may the Son on us bestow
The gifts that from the Spirit flow.

SECOND READING [John 1:35-end]:

The next day John again was standing with two of his disciples, and as he watched Jesus walk by, he exclaimed, 'Look, here is the Lamb of God!' The two disciples heard him say this, and they followed Jesus. When Jesus turned and saw them following, he said to them, 'What are you looking for?' They said to him, 'Rabbi' (which translated means Teacher), 'where are you staying?' He said to them, 'Come and see.' They came and saw where he was staying, and they remained with him that day. It was about four o'clock in the afternoon. One of the two who heard John speak and followed him was Andrew, Simon Peter's brother. He first found his brother Simon and said to him, 'We have found the Messiah' (which is translated Anointed). He brought Simon to Jesus, who looked at him and said, 'You are Simon son of John. You are to be called Cephas' (which is translated Peter).

The next day Jesus decided to go to Galilee. He found Philip and said to him, 'Follow me.' Now Philip was from Bethsaida, the city of Andrew and Peter. Philip found Nathanael and said to him, 'We have found him about whom Moses in the law and also the prophets wrote, Jesus son of Joseph from Nazareth.' Nathanael said to him, 'Can anything good come out of Nazareth?' Philip said to him, 'Come and see.' When Jesus saw Nathanael coming towards him, he said of him, 'Here is truly an Israelite in whom there is no deceit!' Nathanael asked him, 'Where did you come to know me?' Jesus answered, 'I saw you under the fig tree before Philip called you.' Nathanael replied, 'Rabbi, you are the Son of God! You are the King of Israel!' Jesus answered, 'Do you believe because I told you that I saw you under the fig tree? You will see greater things than these.' And he said to him, 'Very truly, I tell you, you will see heaven opened and the angels of God ascending and descending upon the Son of Man.'

Creator God,
from whom the whole family in heaven and earth is named,
we commend all your people
to your tender care and safekeeping.
Lord of mercy,
hear our prayer.

Protect all who are work in mines, tend machinery,
or travel by land, sea or air.
Defend those in mortal danger because of evil surrounding them.
Fill every hospital and nursing home
with your spirit of healing and love.
Lord of mercy,
hear our prayer.

Govern our nation and its leaders,
that all that mars our social life and causes misery may be relieved,
that each person may have access to work, homes, food and health care.
Lord of mercy,
hear our prayer.

Break down the suspicions and fears that keep the nations apart.
Rebuke those who foster prejudice.
Teach us all to live together in the peace of Jesus Christ.
Lord of mercy,
hear our prayer.

Grant to every member of your Church
the faith that removes obstacles,
the hope that makes all things new
and the love that brings deliverance,
that we more effectively serve you
and bring others to the knowledge of your truth.
Lord of mercy,
hear our prayer.

Lord Jesus Christ,
Word of God,
Creator and Redeemer,
so possess our mind and conscience,
our heart and imagination,
with your indwelling Spirit,
that we and all humanity, purged of pride,
may find you to be the lover of our souls. Amen.

Everlasting God,
whose servant Hilary
steadfastly confessed your Son Jesus Christ
   to be both human and divine:
grant us his gentle courtesy
to bring to all the message of redemption
   in the incarnate Christ,
one God, now and for ever.  Amen.

Lift up the light of your countenance on us, O God.,
that we may be faithful to your commandments
and always do what is right and good;

_Celebrating the Christian Year_ (c) Canterbury Press, Norwich.

Hilary of Poitiers (315-367) lived during the great controversy between
Athanasius, who taught that the Son is fully God, equally with the Father, and
Arius, who denied this.
Hilary is sometimes called "the Athanasius of the West." He was bishop of
Poitiers, and when he refused to sign a condemnation of Athanasius, the Arian
emperor Constantius (one of the sons of Constantine) banished him to Phrygia
in 357. His exile lasted three years, during which time he wrote several essays,
including On The Trinity. Finally the Emperor was forced to send him back to
Gaul because he was causing such difficulties for the Arians in the East. In 364,
he journeyed to Milan, where he engaged in public debate with the Arian
bishop Auxentius, and persuaded him of the error of his ways. [James
Kiefer]