OREMUS: 5 January 2010

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Mon Jan 4 18:12:38 GMT 2010

OREMUS for Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Blessed are you, loving and merciful God:
when peaceful silence lay over all,
and the night had run half of her swift course,
your all-powerful Word leaped down from heaven,
to take our flesh, to restore us to dignity,
and to reveal the power
of the new and everlasting covenant you have made with us:

http://www.oremus.org/chrocant.html

Psalm 24

The earth is the Lord's and all that is in it,*
 the world and all who dwell therein.
For it is he who founded it upon the seas*
 and made it firm upon the rivers of the deep.
'Who can ascend the hill of the Lord?*
 and who can stand in his holy place?'
'Those who have clean hands and a pure heart,*
 who have not pledged themselves to falsehood,
   nor sworn by what is a fraud.
'They shall receive a blessing from the Lord*
 and a just reward from the God of their salvation.'
Such is the generation of those who seek him,*
 of those who seek your face, O God of Jacob.
Lift up your heads, O gates;
   lift them high, O everlasting doors;*
 and the King of glory shall come in.
'Who is this King of glory?'*
 'The Lord, strong and mighty,
   the Lord, mighty in battle.'
Lift up your heads, O gates;
   lift them high, O everlasting doors;*
 and the King of glory shall come in.
'Who is he, this King of glory?'*
 'The Lord of hosts,
   he is the King of glory.'

Psalm 25

To you, O Lord, I lift up my soul;
   my God, I put my trust in you;*
 let me not be humiliated,
   nor let my enemies triumph over me.
Let none who look to you be put to shame;*
 let the treacherous be disappointed in their schemes.
Show me your ways, O Lord,*
 and teach me your paths.
Lead me in your truth and teach me,*
 for you are the God of my salvation;
   in you have I trusted all the day long.
Remember, O Lord, your compassion and love,*
 for they are from everlasting.
Remember not the sins of my youth
   and my transgressions;*
 remember me according to your love
   and for the sake of your goodness, O Lord.
Gracious and upright is the Lord;*
 therefore he teaches sinners in his way.
He guides the humble in doing right*
 and teaches his way to the lowly.
All the paths of the Lord are love and faithfulness*
 to those who keep his covenant and his testimonies.
For your name's sake, O Lord,*
 forgive my sin, for it is great.
Who are they who fear the Lord?*
 he will teach them the way that they should choose.
They shall dwell in prosperity,*
 and their offspring shall inherit the land.
The Lord is a friend to those who fear him*
 and will show them his covenant.
My eyes are ever looking to the Lord,*
 for he shall pluck my feet out of the net.
Turn to me and have pity on me,*
 for I am left alone and in misery.
The sorrows of my heart have increased;*
 bring me out of my troubles.
Look upon my adversity and misery*
 and forgive me all my sin.
Look upon my enemies, for they are many,*
 and they bear a violent hatred against me.
Protect my life and deliver me;*
 let me not be put to shame, for I have trusted in you.
Let integrity and uprightness preserve me,*
 for my hope has been in you.
Deliver Israel, O God,*
 out of all his troubles.

Psalm 26

Give judgement for me, O Lord,
   for I have lived with integrity;*
 I have trusted in the Lord and have not faltered.
Test me, O Lord, and try me;*
 examine my heart and my mind.
For your love is before my eyes;*
 I have walked faithfully with you.
I have not sat with the worthless,*
 nor do I consort with the deceitful.
I have hated the company of evildoers;*
 I will not sit down with the wicked.
I will wash my hands in innocence, O Lord,*
 that I may go in procession round your altar,
Singing aloud a song of thanksgiving*
 and recounting all your wonderful deeds.
Lord, I love the house in which you dwell*
 and the place where your glory abides.
Do not sweep me away with sinners,*
 nor my life with those who thirst for blood,
Whose hands are full of evil plots,*
 and their right hand full of bribes.
As for me, I will live with integrity;*
 redeem me, O Lord, and have pity on me.
My foot stands on level ground;*
 in the full assembly I will bless the Lord.

FIRST READING [Isaiah 66:18-23]:

For I know their works and their thoughts, and I am coming to gather all nations and tongues; and they shall come and shall see my glory, and I will set a sign among them. From them I will send survivors to the nations, to Tarshish, Put, and Lud—which draw the bow—to Tubal and Javan, to the coastlands far away that have not heard of my fame or seen my glory; and they shall declare my glory among the nations. They shall bring all your kindred from all the nations as an offering to the Lord, on horses, and in chariots, and in litters, and on mules, and on dromedaries, to my holy mountain Jerusalem, says the Lord, just as the Israelites bring a grain-offering in a clean vessel to the house of the Lord. And I will also take some of them as priests and as Levites, says the Lord.

For as the new heavens and the new earth,
   which I will make,
shall remain before me, says the Lord,
   so shall your descendants and your name remain.
>From new moon to new moon,
   and from sabbath to sabbath,
all flesh shall come to worship before me,
says the Lord.

HYMN
Words: William Walsham How, 1854
Tune: Louez Dieu, St. Bees, Posen

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/j/j142.html

Jesus! Name of wondrous love!
Name all other names above!
Unto which must every knee
bow in deep humility.

Jesus! Name decreed of old,
to the maiden mother told,
kneeling in her lowly cell,
by the angel Gabriel.

Jesus! Name of priceless worth
to the fallen sons of earth,
for the promise that it gave,
"Jesus shall his people save."

Jesus! Name of mercy mild,
given to the holy Child
when the cup of human woe
first he tasted here below.

Jesus! only Name that's given,
under all the mighty heaven,
whereby man, to sin enslaved,
burst his fetters and is saved.

Jesus! Name of wondrous love!
Human Name of God above!
Pleading only this we flee,
helpless, O our God, to thee.

SECOND READING [Luke 3:15-22]:

As the people were filled with expectation, and all were questioning in their hearts concerning John, whether he might be the Messiah, John answered all of them by saying, ‘I baptize you with water; but one who is more powerful than I is coming; I am not worthy to untie the thong of his sandals. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire. His winnowing-fork is in his hand, to clear his threshing-floor and to gather the wheat into his granary; but the chaff he will burn with unquenchable fire.’

So, with many other exhortations, he proclaimed the good news to the people. But Herod the ruler, who had been rebuked by him because of Herodias, his brother’s wife, and because of all the evil things that Herod had done, added to them all by shutting up John in prison.

Now when all the people were baptized, and when Jesus also had been baptized and was praying, the heaven was opened, and the Holy Spirit descended upon him in bodily form like a dove. And a voice came from heaven, ‘You are my Son, the Beloved; with you I am well pleased.’

In this season of shining hope, let us call to mind the prophet's vision:
If you pour yourself out for the hungry and satisfy the desire of the afflicted,
Your light shall rise in the darkness and your gloom be like the noon day.

God of tender compassion:
Hear the cry of your children whose hope is faint.
Lord, in mercy, hear our prayer.

Ruler of all nations, prince of peace:
Bring an end to violence and the starvation linked with war.
Lord, in mercy, hear our prayer.

Promised Savior,
who will faithfully bring forth justice:
Overturn oppression and greed;
raise up those whom the world has brought low.
Lord, in mercy, hear our prayer.

Holy child, stable-born:
Provide warm shelter for the homeless poor,
and help us to see you in every guest.
Lord, in mercy, hear our prayer.

Infant of Bethlehem, brought in haste to Egypt:
Console all driven from home by cruel threat,
and protect all who must wander in search of refuge.
Lord, in mercy, hear our prayer.

Lord God, just and true,
you make your salvation known in the sight of the nations;
let the song of our hearts echo the music of your creation,
as you come among us to judge the earth
in our Saviour Jesus Christ. Amen.

let us pray in faith and trust:

 The Lord's Prayer

The Eternal Light shine in our hearts.
The Eternal Light deliver us from evil.
The Eternal God grant us a glimpse of glory.  Amen.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving is by Stephen Benner. The closing prayer is by David Adam.