OREMUS: 8 February 2010

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sun Feb 7 17:00:10 GMT 2010

OREMUS for Monday, February 8, 2010

through Jesus Christ, our Good Shepherd.
In the waters of baptism you give us new birth,
at your table you nourish us with heavenly food,
and in your goodness and mercy
you guide us beyond the terrors of evil and death
to your Father's home to dwell in eternal light.

Happy are they who consider the poor and needy!*
 the Lord will deliver them in the time of trouble.
The Lord preserves them and keeps them alive,
   so that they may be happy in the land;*
 he does not hand them over to the will of their enemies.
The Lord sustains them on their sickbed*
 and ministers to them in their illness.
I said, 'Lord, be merciful to me;*
 heal me, for I have sinned against you.'
My enemies are saying wicked things about me:*
 'When will he die and his name perish?'
Even if they come to see me, they speak empty words;*
 their heart collects false rumours;
   they go outside and spread them.
All my enemies whisper together about me*
 and devise evil against me.
'A deadly thing', they say, 'has fastened on him;*
 he has taken to his bed and will never get up again.'Even my best friend, whom I trusted,
   who broke bread with me,*
 has lifted up his heel and turned against me.
But you, O Lord, be merciful to me and raise me up,*
 and I shall repay them.
By this I know you are pleased with me,*
 that my enemy does not triumph over me.
In my integrity you hold me fast,*
 and shall set me before your face for ever.
Blessed be the Lord God of Israel,*
 from age to age. Amen. Amen.

Psalm 42

As the deer longs for the waterbrooks,*
 so longs my soul for you, O God.
My soul is athirst for God, athirst for the living God;*
 when shall I come to appear before the presence of God?
My tears have been my food day and night,*
 while all day long they say to me,
   'Where now is your God?'
I pour out my soul when I think on these things:*
 how I went with the multitude
   and led them into the house of God,
With the voice of praise and thanksgiving,*
 among those who keep holyday.
Why are you so full of heaviness, O my soul?*
 and why are you so disquieted within me?
Put your trust in God;*
 for I will yet give thanks to him,
   who is the help of my countenance, and my God.
My soul is heavy within me;*
 therefore I will remember you from the land of Jordan,
   and from the peak of Mizar among the heights of Hermon.
One deep calls to another in the noise of your cataracts;*
 all your rapids and floods have gone over me.
The Lord grants his lovingkindness in the daytime;*
 in the night season his song is with me,
   a prayer to the God of my life.
I will say to the God of my strength,
   'Why have you forgotten me?*
 and why do I go so heavily
   while the enemy oppresses me?'
While my bones are being broken,*
 my enemies mock me to my face;
All day long they mock me*
 say to me, 'Where now is your God?'
Why are you so full of heaviness, O my soul?*
 and why are you so disquieted within me?
Put your trust in God;*
 for I will yet give thanks to him,
   who is the help of my countenance, and my God.

Psalm 43

Give judgement for me, O God,
   and defend my cause against an ungodly people;*
 deliver me from the deceitful and the wicked.
For you are the God of my strength;
   why have you put me from you?*
 and why do I go so heavily
   while the enemy oppresses me?
Send out your light and your truth,
   that they may lead me,*
 and bring me to your holy hill
   and to your dwelling;
That I may go to the altar of God,
   to the God of my joy and gladness;*
 and on the harp I will give thanks to you,
   O God my God.
Why are you so full of heaviness, O my soul?*
 and why are you so disquieted within me?
Put your trust in God;*
 for I will yet give thanks to him,
   who is the help of my countenance, and my God.

FIRST READING [Gen. 7:1, 7-10, 17-23]:

Then the Lord said to Noah, 'Go into the ark, you and all your household, for I have seen that you alone are righteous before me in this generation. And Noah with his sons and his wife and his sons' wives went into the ark to escape the waters of the flood. Of clean animals, and of animals that are not clean, and of birds, and of everything that creeps on the ground, two and two, male and female, went into the ark with Noah, as God had commanded Noah. And after seven days the waters of the flood came on the earth.

The flood continued for forty days on the earth; and the waters increased, and bore up the ark, and it rose high above the earth. The waters swelled and increased greatly on the earth; and the ark floated on the face of the waters. The waters swelled so mightily on the earth that all the high mountains under the whole heaven were covered; the waters swelled above the mountains, covering them fifteen cubits deep.
And all flesh died that moved on the earth, birds, domestic animals, wild animals, all swarming creatures that swarm on the earth, and all human beings; everything on dry land in whose nostrils was the breath of life died. He blotted out every living thing that was on the face of the ground, human beings and animals and creeping things and birds of the air; they were blotted out from the earth. Only Noah was left, and those that were with him in the ark.

HYMN
Words: William Cowper (1731-1800)
Tune: Llandaf (Meter: LM)

God of my life, to you I call;
afflicted, at your feet I fall;
when the great water-floods prevail,
leave not my trembling heart to fail.

Friend of the friendless and the faint,
where should I lodge my deep complaint?
Where, but with you, whose open door
invites the helpless and the poor?

Did sufferers ever with you plead
and you refuse them in their need?
Does not your promised word remain,
that none shall seek your face in vain?

Grief such as that I could not bear,
unless you heard and answered prayer;
but a prayer-hearing, answering God
supports me under every load.

Bright is my future in your love;
I have an advocate above:
those whom the world admires the most
have no such privilege to boast.

Poor and forgotten I am, yet
the living God does not forget:
all those are safe, and must succeed
for whom Christ promises to plead.

SECOND READING [Gal. 3:19-end]:

 Why then the law? It was added because of transgressions, until the offspring would come to whom the promise had been made; and it was ordained through angels by a mediator. Now a mediator involves more than one party; but God is one.

Is the law then opposed to the promises of God? Certainly not! For if a law had been given that could make alive, then righteousness would indeed come through the law. But the scripture has imprisoned all things under the power of sin, so that what was promised through faith in Jesus Christ might be given to those who believe.

Now before faith came, we were imprisoned and guarded under the law until faith would be revealed. Therefore the law was our disciplinarian until Christ came, so that we might be justified by faith. But now that faith has come, we are no longer subject to a disciplinarian, for in Christ Jesus you are all children of God through faith. As many of you as were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ. There is no longer Jew or Greek, there is no longer slave or free, there is no longer male and female; for all of you are one in Christ Jesus. And if you belong to Christ, then you are Abraham's offspring, heirs according to the promise.

Merciful God,
you give us every good gift.
Hear our prayers which we now offer
through your Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.

We pray for your Church.
May our divisions be healed,
that we may go into the world proclaiming your Good News.

Lord, in your mercy:
hear our prayer.

We pray for the physical and spiritual well-being
of our family and friends,
that they may rejoice in your mercy and love
and share in your joy in your heavenly Kingdom.
Lord, in your mercy:
hear our prayer.

We pray for those who work,
especially those who are stressed or overwhelmed,
that they may know you are their refuge and strength.
Lord, in your mercy:
hear our prayer.

We pray for those who are persecuted
for fighting for justice and liberty,
that they may remember that you are the source
of all things just and free.
Lord, in your mercy:
hear our prayer.

Creator God,