OREMUS: 9 December 2010

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Wed Dec 8 17:00:01 GMT 2010

OREMUS for December 9

Blessed are you, Lord God:
We give you thanks
because in his coming
the day of our deliverance has dawned;
and through him you will make all things new,
as he comes in power and triumph to judge the world.
For these and all your mercies,
we praise you, Father, Son, and Holy Spirit:

http://www.oremus.org/advocant.html

Psalm 47

Clap your hands, all you peoples;*
 shout to God with a cry of joy.
For the Lord Most High is to be feared;*
 he is the great king over all the earth.
He subdues the peoples under us,*
 and the nations under our feet.
He chooses our inheritance for us,*
 the pride of Jacob whom he loves.
God has gone up with a shout,*
 the Lord with the sound of the ram'shorn.
Sing praises to God, sing praises;*
 sing praises to our king, sing praises.
For God is king of all the earth;*
 sing praises with all your skill.
God reigns over the nations;*
 God sits upon his holy throne.
The nobles of the peoples have gathered together*
 with the people of the God of Abraham.
The rulers of the earth belong to God,*
 and he is highly exalted.

Psalm 48

Great is the Lord and highly to be praised;*
 in the city of our God is his holy hill.
Beautiful and lofty, the joy of all the earth,
   is the hill of Zion,*
 the very centre of the world
   and the city of the great king.
God is in her citadels;*
 he is known to be her sure refuge.
Behold, the kings of the earth assembled*
 and marched forward together.
They looked and were astounded;*
 they retreated and fled in terror.
Trembling seized them there;*
 they writhed like a woman in childbirth,
   like ships of the sea when the east wind shatters them.
As we have heard, so have we seen,
   in the city of the Lord of hosts, in the city of our God;*
 God has established her for ever.
We have waited in silence
   on your lovingkindness, O God,*
 in the midst of your temple.
Your praise, like your name, O God,
   reaches to the world's end;*
 your right hand is full of justice.
Let Mount Zion be glad
   and the cities of Judah rejoice,*
 because of your judgements.
Make the circuit of Zion; walk round about her;*
 count the number of her towers.
Consider well her bulwarks; examine her strongholds;*
 that you may tell those who come after.
This God is our God for ever and ever;*
 he shall be our guide for evermore.

Psalm 49

Hear this, all you peoples;
   hearken, all you who dwell in the world,*
 you of high degree and low, rich and poor together.
My mouth shall speak of wisdom,*
 and my heart shall meditate on understanding.
I will incline my ear to a proverb*
 and set forth my riddle upon the harp.
Why should I be afraid in evil days,*
 when the wickedness of those at my heels surrounds me,
The wickedness of those
   who put their trust in their goods,*
 and boast of their great riches?
We can never ransom ourselves,*
 or deliver to God the price of our life;
For the ransom of our life is so great,*
 that we should never have enough to pay it,
In order to live for ever and ever,*
 and never see the grave.
For we see that the wise die also;
   like the dull and stupid they perish*
 and leave their wealth to those who come after them.
Their graves shall be their homes for ever,
   their dwelling places from generation to generation,*
 though they call the lands after their own names.
Even though honoured, they cannot live for ever;*
 they are like the beasts that perish.
Such is the way of those
   who foolishly trust in themselves,*
 and the end of those who delight in their own words.
Like a flock of sheep they are destined to die;
   Death is their shepherd;*
 they go down straightway to the grave.
Their form shall waste away,*
 and the land of the dead shall be their home.
But God will ransom my life;*
 he will snatch me from the grasp of death.
Do not be envious when some become rich,*
 or when the grandeur of their house increases;
For they will carry nothing away at their death,*
 nor will their grandeur follow them.
Though they thought highly of themselves
   while they lived,*
 and were praised for their success,
They shall join the company of their forebears,*
 who will never see the light again.
Those who are honoured, but have no understanding,*
 are like the beasts that perish.

FIRST READING [Isaiah 26:12–19]:

O Lord, you will ordain peace for us,
   for indeed, all that we have done, you have done for us.
O Lord our God,
   other lords besides you have ruled over us,
   but we acknowledge your name alone.
The dead do not live;
   shades do not rise—
because you have punished and destroyed them,
   and wiped out all memory of them.
But you have increased the nation, O Lord,
   you have increased the nation; you are glorified;
   you have enlarged all the borders of the land.

O Lord, in distress they sought you,
   they poured out a prayer
   when your chastening was on them.
Like a woman with child,
   who writhes and cries out in her pangs
   when she is near her time,
so were we because of you, O Lord;
   we were with child, we writhed,
   but we gave birth only to wind.
We have won no victories on earth,
   and no one is born to inhabit the world.
Your dead shall live, their corpses shall rise.
   O dwellers in the dust, awake and sing for joy!
For your dew is a radiant dew,
   and the earth will give birth to those long dead.

HYMN
Words: Seele du musst munter wurden F R L von Canitz (1654-1699) translated H J Buckoll (1803-1871)
Tune: Es ist ein Ros

Come, my soul, thou must be waking;
Now is breaking
O'er the earth another day:
Come to Him who made this splendour;
See thou render
All thy feeble strength can pay.

Gladly hail the light returning;
Ready burning
Be the incense of thy powers:
For the night is safely ended;
God hath tended
With His care thy helpless hours.

Pray that He may prosper ever
Each endeavour
When thine aim is good and true;
But that He may ever thwart thee,
And convert thee,
>From the ill thou wouldst pursue.

May'st thou then on life's last morrow,
Free from sorrow,
Pass away in slumber sweet;
And, released from deaths dark sadness,
Rise in gladness,
That far brighter Sun to greet.

SECOND READING [Revelation 13:1-10]:

See what love the Father has given us, that we should be called children of God; and that is what we are. The reason the world does not know us is that it did not know him. Beloved, we are God’s children now; what we will be has not yet been revealed. What we do know is this: when he is revealed, we will be like him, for we will see him as he is. And all who have this hope in him purify themselves, just as he is pure.

Everyone who commits sin is guilty of lawlessness; sin is lawlessness. You know that he was revealed to take away sins, and in him there is no sin. No one who abides in him sins; no one who sins has either seen him or known him. Little children, let no one deceive you. Everyone who does what is right is righteous, just as he is righteous. Everyone who commits sin is a child of the devil; for the devil has been sinning from the beginning. The Son of God was revealed for this purpose, to destroy the works of the devil. Those who have been born of God do not sin, because God’s seed abides in them; they cannot sin, because they have been born of God. The children of God and the children of the devil are revealed in this way: all who do not do what is right are not from God, nor are those who do not love their brothers and sisters.

For this is the message you have heard from the beginning, that we should love one another. We must not be like Cain who was from the evil one and murdered his brother. And why did he murder him? Because his own deeds were evil and his brother’s righteous. Do not be astonished, brothers and sisters, that the world hates you. We know that we have passed from death to life because we love one another. Whoever does not love abides in death. All who hate a brother or sister are murderers, and you know that murderers do not have eternal life abiding in them. We know love by this, that he laid down his life for us—and we ought to lay down our lives for one another. How does God’s love abide in anyone who has the world’s goods and sees a brother or sister in need and yet refuses help?

Little children, let us love, not in word or speech, but in truth and action. And by this we will know that we are from the truth and will reassure our hearts before him whenever our hearts condemn us; for God is greater than our hearts, and he knows everything. Beloved, if our hearts do not condemn us, we have boldness before God; and we receive from him whatever we ask, because we obey his commandments and do what pleases him.

And this is his commandment, that we should believe in the name of his Son Jesus Christ and love one another, just as he has commanded us. All who obey his commandments abide in him, and he abides in them. And by this we know that he abides in us, by the Spirit that he has given us.

Jesus our exalted Lord has been given all authority.
Let us seek his intercession that our prayers may be perfected by his prayer.

Jesus Christ, great high priest, living for ever to intercede for us
pray for your Church, your broken body in the world(
We pray especially for the Diocese of
Lord, hear us.
Lord, graciously hear us.

Jesus Christ, king of righteousness,
enthroned at the right hand of the majesty on high
pray for the world, and make it subject to your gentle rule(
Lord, hear us.
Lord, graciously hear us.

Jesus Christ, Son of Man, drawing humanity into the life of God
pray for your bothers and sisters in need, distress or sorrow(
Lord, hear us.
Lord, graciously hear us.

Jesus Christ, pioneer of our salvation,
bringing us to your glory through your death and resurrection
receive into your kingdom those who have died
  trusting in your promises(
Lord, hear us.
Lord, graciously hear us.

Jesus Christ, Lord of all things,
ascended far above from the heavens and filling the universe
pray for us who receive the gifts you give us
  for work in your service(
Lord, hear us.
Lord, graciously hear us.

Jesus Christ,
keep the Church in the unity of the Spirit
  and in the bond of peace,
and bring the whole created order to worship at your feet;
for you are alive and reign with the Father and the Holy Spirit,
one God, now and for ever. Amen.

O Lord, raise up, we pray, your power
and come among us,
and with great might succour us;
that whereas, through our sins and wickedness
we are grievously hindered
in running the race that is set before us,
your bountiful grace and mercy
may speedily help and deliver us;
through Jesus Christ our Lord,
to whom with you and the Holy Spirit,
be honour and glory, world without end.  Amen.

Awaiting his coming in glory,

May God the Son, coming among us in power,
reveal in our midst the promise of his glory. Amen.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving and the closing sentence are from _New Patterns for Worship_, copyright (c) The Archbishops( Council, 2002.