OREMUS: 1 September 2010

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Tue Aug 31 17:00:00 GMT 2010

OREMUS for Wednesday, September 1, 2010

like fireworks in the night
the Holy Spirit came
to lift our spirits, to inspire fresh daring,
that our lives might be spent in honor
of our Savior, God's only Son.

Happy are they who have not walked
   in the counsel of the wicked,*
 nor lingered in the way of sinners,
   nor sat in the seats of the scornful!
Their delight is in the law of the Lord,*
 and they meditate on his law day and night.
They are like trees planted by streams of water,
   bearing fruit in due season,
   with leaves that do not wither;*
 everything they do shall prosper.
It is not so with the wicked:*
 they are like chaff which the wind blows away;
Therefore the wicked shall not stand upright
   when judgement comes,*
 nor the sinner in the council of the righteous.
For the Lord knows the way of the righteous,*
 but the way of the wicked is doomed.

Psalm 2

Why are the nations in an uproar?*
 Why do the peoples mutter empty threats?
Why do the kings of the earth rise up in revolt
   and the princes plot together,*
 against the Lord and against his anointed?
'Let us break their yoke', they say;*
 'let us cast off their bonds from us.'
He whose throne is in heaven is laughing;*
 the Lord has them in derision.
Then he speaks to them in his wrath*
 and his rage fills them with terror.
'I myself have set my king*
 upon my holy hill of Zion.'
Let me announce the decree of the Lord:*
 he said to me, 'You are my Son;
   this day have I begotten you.
'Ask of me and I will give you the nations for
   your inheritance*
 and the ends of the earth for your possession.
'You shall crush them with an iron rod*
 and shatter them like a piece of pottery.'
And now, you kings, be wise;*
 be warned, you rulers of the earth.
Submit to the Lord with fear,*
 and with trembling bow before him;
Lest he be angry and you perish;*
 for his wrath is quickly kindled.
Happy are they all*
 who take refuge in him!

Psalm 3

Lord, how many adversaries I have!*
 how many there are who rise up against me!
How many there are who say of me,*
 'There is no help for him in his God.'
But you, O Lord, are a shield about me;*
 you are my glory, the one who lifts up my head.
I call aloud upon the Lord*
 and he answers me from his holy hill;
I lie down and go to sleep;*
 I wake again, because the Lord sustains me.
I do not fear the multitudes of people*
 who set themselves against me all around.
Rise up, O Lord; set me free, O my God;*
 surely, you will strike all my enemies across the face,
   you will break the teeth of the wicked.
Deliverance belongs to the Lord.*
 Your blessing be upon your people!

Psalm 4

Answer me when I call, O God, defender of my cause;*
 you set me free when I am hardpressed;
   have mercy on me and hear my prayer.
'You mortals, how long will you dishonour my glory;*
 how long will you worship dumb idols
   and run after false gods?'
Know that the Lord does wonders for the faithful;*
 when I call upon the Lord, he will hear me.
Tremble, then, and do not sin;*
 speak to your heart in silence upon your bed.
Offer the appointed sacrifices*
 and put your trust in the Lord.
Many are saying,
'O that we might see better times!'*
 Lift up the light of your countenance upon us, O Lord.
You have put gladness in my heart,*
 more than when grain and wine and oil increase.
I lie down in peace; at once I fall asleep;*
 for only you, Lord, make me dwell in safety.

Psalm 5

Give ear to my words, O Lord;*
 consider my meditation.
Hearken to my cry for help, my King and my God,*
 for I make my prayer to you.
In the morning, Lord, you hear my voice;*
 early in the morning I make my appeal
   and watch for you.
For you are not a God who takes pleasure in wickedness*
 and evil cannot dwell with you.
Braggarts cannot stand in your sight;*
 you hate all those who work wickedness.
You destroy those who speak lies;*
 the bloodthirsty and deceitful, O Lord, you abhor.
But as for me, through the greatness of your mercy,
   I will go into your house;*
 I will bow down towards your holy temple in awe of you.
Lead me, O Lord, in your righteousness,
   because of those who lie in wait for me;*
 make your way straight before me.
For there is no truth in their mouth;*
 there is destruction in their heart;
Their throat is an open grave;*
 they flatter with their tongue.
Declare them guilty, O God;*
 let them fall, because of their schemes.
Because of their many transgressions cast them out,*
 for they have rebelled against you.
But all who take refuge in you will be glad;*
 they will sing out their joy for ever.
You will shelter them,*
 so that those who love your name may exult in you.
For you, O Lord, will bless the righteous;*
 you will defend them with your favour as with a shield.

FIRST READING [2 Sam. 15:1-12]:

After this Absalom got himself a chariot and horses, and fifty men to run ahead of him. Absalom used to rise early and stand beside the road into the gate; and when anyone brought a suit before the king for judgement, Absalom would call out and say, 'From what city are you?' When the person said, 'Your servant is of such and such a tribe in Israel', Absalom would say, 'See, your claims are good and right; but there is no one deputed by the king to hear you.' Absalom said moreover, 'If only I were judge in the land! Then all who had a suit or cause might come to me, and I would give them justice.' Whenever people came near to do obeisance to him, he would put out his hand and take hold of them, and kiss them. Thus Absalom did to every Israelite who came to the king for judgement; so Absalom stole the hearts of the people of Israel.

At the end of four years Absalom said to the king, 'Please let me go to Hebron and pay the vow that I have made to the Lord. For your servant made a vow while I lived at Geshur in Aram: If the Lord will indeed bring me back to Jerusalem, then I will worship the Lord in Hebron.' The king said to him, 'Go in peace.' So he got up, and went to Hebron. But Absalom sent secret messengers throughout all the tribes of Israel, saying, 'As soon as you hear the sound of the trumpet, then shout: Absalom has become king at Hebron!' Two hundred men from Jerusalem went with Absalom; they were invited guests, and they went in their innocence, knowing nothing of the matter. While Absalom was offering the sacrifices, he sent for Ahithophel the Gilonite, David's counsellor, from his city Giloh. The conspiracy grew in strength, and the people with Absalom kept increasing.

HYMN
Words: Geoffrey A Studdert-Kennedy (1883-1929)
Meter: 11 10 11 10

Father, if He, the Christ, were Thy Revealer,
Truly the First begotten of the Lord,
Then must Thou be a Suff'rer and a Healer,
Pierced to the heart by sorrow of the sword:

Then must it mean, not only that Thy sorrow
Smote Thee that once upon the lonely tree,
But that today, tonight, and on the morrow,
Still it will come, O Gallant God, to Thee.

Swift to its birth in spite of human scorning
Hastens the day, the storm clouds roll apart;
Rings o'er the earth the message of the morning,
Still on the cross the Saviour bares His heart.

Peace does not mean the end of all our striving,
Joy does not mean the drying of our tears;
Peace is the power that comes to souls arriving
Up to the light where God Himself appears.

Joy is the wine that God is ever pouring
Into the hearts of those who strive with Him,
Light'ning their eyes to vision and adoring,
Strength'ning their arms to warfare glad and grim.

Give me, for light, the sunshine of Thy sorrow,
Give me, for shelter, shadow of Thy Cross;
Give me to share the glory of Thy morrow,
Gone from my heart the bitterness of loss.

SECOND READING [Matt. 2:13-end]:

Now after they had left, an angel of the Lord appeared to Joseph in a dream and said, 'Get up, take the child and his mother, and flee to Egypt, and remain there until I tell you; for Herod is about to search for the child, to destroy him.' Then Joseph got up, took the child and his mother by night, and went to Egypt, and remained there until the death of Herod. This was to fulfil what had been spoken by the Lord through the prophet, 'Out of Egypt I have called my son.'

When Herod saw that he had been tricked by the wise men, he was infuriated, and he sent and killed all the children in and around Bethlehem who were two years old or under, according to the time that he had learned from the wise men. Then was fulfilled what had been spoken through the prophet Jeremiah: 'A voice was heard in Ramah, wailing and loud lamentation, Rachel weeping for her children; she refused to be consoled, because they are no more.'

When Herod died, an angel of the Lord suddenly appeared in a dream to Joseph in Egypt and said, 'Get up, take the child and his mother, and go to the land of Israel, for those who were seeking the child's life are dead.' Then Joseph got up, took the child and his mother, and went to the land of Israel. But when he heard that Archelaus was ruling over Judea in place of his father Herod, he was afraid to go there. And after being warned in a dream, he went away to the district of Galilee. There he made his home in a town called Nazareth, so that what had been spoken through the prophets might be fulfilled, 'He will be called a Nazorean.'

We pray for the use of God's gifts to his Church, saying
Jesus, Lord of your Church:
in your mercy, hear us

God our Father,
you give us gifts that we may work together
in the service of your Son:
Bless those who lead,
that they may be firm in faith,
yet humble before you.
We pray especially for the people of the Diocese
Jesus, Lord of your Church:
in your mercy hear us.

Bless those who teach,
that they may increase our understanding,

and be open to your word for them:
Jesus, Lord of your Church:
in your mercy hear us.

Bless those who minister healing,
that they may bring wholeness to other,
yet know your healing in themselves:
Jesus, Lord of your Church:
in your mercy hear us.

Bless those through whom you speak,
that they may proclaim your word in power,
yet have their ears open to your gentle whisper:
Jesus, Lord of your Church:
in your mercy hear us.

Bless those who work in your world today
that they may live for you, fulfil your purposes,
and seek your kingdom first
in the complexity of their daily lives.
Jesus, Lord of your Church:
in your mercy hear us.

Bless those who feel they have no gifts and are not valued,
and those who are powerless by the world's standards,
that they may share their experience
of the work of your Spirit.
Jesus, Lord of your Church:
in your mercy hear us.

O God, whose Son has shown the way of the cross to be the way of life: Transform and renew our minds that we may not be conformed to this world but may offer ourselves wholly to you as a living sacrifice through Jesus Christ our Savior; who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, now and forever. Amen.

May the word of God dwell richly in our heart from hour to hour,
so that all may see the triumph through Jesus' power and love.
Amen.

The opening prayer is by Stephen Benner. The closing prayer is a sentence from
_Uniting in Worship_, The Uniting Church in Australia.