OREMUS: 25 August 2010

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Tue Aug 24 21:39:37 GMT 2010

OREMUS for Wednesday, August 25, 2010

like fireworks in the night
the Holy Spirit came
to lift our spirits, to inspire fresh daring,
that our lives might be spent in honor
of our Savior, God's only Son.

Your hands have made me and fashioned me;*
 give me understanding,
   that I may learn your commandments.
Those who fear you will be glad when they see me,*
 because I trust in your word.

I know, O Lord, that your judgements are right*
 and that in faithfulness you have afflicted me.
Let your lovingkindness be my comfort*
 as you have promised to your servant.
Let your compassion come to me, that I may live,*
 for your law is my delight.
Let the arrogant be put to shame,
   for they wrong me with lies;*
 but I will meditate on your commandments.
Let those who fear you turn to me,*
 and also those who know your decrees.
Let my heart be sound in your statutes,*
 that I may not be put to shame.

My soul has longed for your salvation;*
 I have put my hope in your word.
My eyes have failed from watching for your promise,*
 and I say, 'When will you comfort me?'
I have become like a leather flask in the smoke,*
 but I have not forgotten your statutes.
How much longer must I wait?*
 when will you give judgement
   against those who persecute me?
The proud have dug pits for me;*
 they do not keep your law.
All your commandments are true;*
 help me, for they persecute me with lies.
They had almost made an end of me on earth,*
 but I have not forsaken your commandments.
In your lovingkindness, revive me,*
 that I may keep the decrees of your mouth.

O Lord, your word is everlasting;*
 it stands firm in the heavens.
Your faithfulness remains
   from one generation to another;*
 you established the earth and it abides.
By your decree these continue to this day,*
 for all things are your servants.
If my delight had not been in your law,*
 I should have perished in my affliction.
I will never forget your commandments,*
 because by them you give me life.
I am yours; O that you would save me!*
 for I study your commandments.
Though the wicked lie in wait for me to destroy me,*
 I will apply my mind to your decrees.
I see that all things come to an end,*
 but your commandment has no bounds.

O how I love your law!*
 all the day long it is in my mind.
Your commandment has made me wiser
   than my enemies,*
 and it is always with me.
I have more understanding than all my teachers,*
 for your decrees are my study.
I am wiser than the elders,*
 because I observe your commandments.
I restrain my feet from every evil way,*
 that I may keep your word.
I do not shrink from your judgements,*
 because you yourself have taught me.
How sweet are your words to my taste!*
 they are sweeter than honey to my mouth.
Through your commandments I gain understanding;*
 therefore I hate every lying way.

FIRST READING [2 Sam. 7:18-end]:

King David went in and sat before the Lord, and said, 'Who am I, O Lord God, and what is my house, that you have brought me thus far? And yet this was a small thing in your eyes, O Lord God; you have spoken also of your servant's house for a great while to come. May this be instruction for the people, O Lord God! And what more can David say to you? For you know your servant, O Lord God! Because of your promise, and according to your own heart, you have wrought all this greatness, so that your servant may know it. Therefore you are great, O Lord God; for there is no one like you, and there is no God besides you, according to all that we have heard with our ears. Who is like your people, like Israel? Is there another nation on earth whose God went to redeem it as a people, and to make a name for himself, doing great and awesome things for them, by driving out before his people nations and their gods? And you established your people Israel for yourself to be your people for ever; and you, O Lord, became their God. And now, O Lord God, as for the word that you have spoken concerning your servant and concerning his house, confirm it for ever; do as you have promised. Thus your name will be magnified for ever in the saying, "The Lord of hosts is God over Israel"; and the house of your servant David will be established before you. For you, O Lord of hosts, the God of Israel, have made this revelation to your servant, saying, "I will build you a house"; therefore your servant has found courage to pray this prayer to you. And now, O Lord God, you are God, and your words are true, and you have promised this good thing to your servant; now therefore may it please you to bless the house of your servant, so that it may continue for ever before you; for you, O Lord God, have spoken, and with your blessing shall the house of your servant be blessed for ever.'

HYMN
Words: Edward Osler (1798-1863)
Tune: Innsbruck

Lord of the church, we humbly pray
For those who guide us in Thy way,
And speak Thy holy Word;
With love divine their hearts inspire,
And touch their lips with hallowed fire,
And needful grace afford.

Help them to preach the truth of God,
Redemption through the Saviour's blood;
Nor let Thy Spirit cease
On all the church His gifts to shower -
To them, a messenger of power,
To us, of life and peace.

So may they live to Thee alone;
Then hear the welcome word ''Well done!'
And take their crown above;
Enter into their Master's joy,
And all eternity employ
In praise and bliss and love!

SECOND READING [Rom. 14:1-12]:

Welcome those who are weak in faith,* but not for the purpose of quarrelling over opinions. 2Some believe in eating anything, while the weak eat only vegetables. 3Those who eat must not despise those who abstain, and those who abstain must not pass judgement on those who eat; for God has welcomed them. 4Who are you to pass judgement on servants of another? It is before their own lord that they stand or fall. And they will be upheld, for the Lord* is able to make them stand.

5Some judge one day to be better than another, while others judge all days to be alike. Let all be fully convinced in their own minds. 6Those who observe the day, observe it in honour of the Lord. Also those who eat, eat in honour of the Lord, since they give thanks to God; while those who abstain, abstain in honour of the Lord and give thanks to God.

7We do not live to ourselves, and we do not die to ourselves. 8If we live, we live to the Lord, and if we die, we die to the Lord; so then, whether we live or whether we die, we are the Lord’s. 9For to this end Christ died and lived again, so that he might be Lord of both the dead and the living.
10
Why do you pass judgement on your brother or sister?* Or you, why do you despise your brother or sister?* For we will all stand before the judgement seat of God.* 11For it is written, ‘As I live, says the Lord, every knee shall bow to me, and every tongue shall give praise to* God.’ 12So then, each of us will be accountable to God.

We pray for the use of God's gifts to his Church, saying
Jesus, Lord of your Church:
in your mercy, hear us

God our Father,
you give us gifts that we may work together
in the service of your Son:
Bless those who lead,
that they may be firm in faith,
yet humble before you.
We pray especially for the people of the Diocese
Jesus, Lord of your Church:
in your mercy hear us.

Bless those who teach,
that they may increase our understanding,

and be open to your word for them:
Jesus, Lord of your Church:
in your mercy hear us.

Bless those who minister healing,
that they may bring wholeness to other,
yet know your healing in themselves:
Jesus, Lord of your Church:
in your mercy hear us.

Bless those through whom you speak,
that they may proclaim your word in power,
yet have their ears open to your gentle whisper:
Jesus, Lord of your Church:
in your mercy hear us.

Bless those who work in your world today
that they may live for you, fulfil your purposes,
and seek your kingdom first
in the complexity of their daily lives.
Jesus, Lord of your Church:
in your mercy hear us.

Bless those who feel they have no gifts and are not valued,
and those who are powerless by the world's standards,
that they may share their experience
of the work of your Spirit.
Jesus, Lord of your Church:
in your mercy hear us.

Lord our God, all truth is from you, and you alone bring oneness of heart: Give your people the joy of hearing your word amid the din of human noise, and of longing for your presence more than for life itself. May all the attractions of a changing world point us to the peace of your kingdom, a peace which this world does not give. We ask this through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

May the word of God dwell richly in our heart from hour to hour,
so that all may see the triumph through Jesus' power and love.
Amen.

The opening prayer is by Stephen Benner. The closing prayer is a sentence from
_Uniting in Worship_, The Uniting Church in Australia.