OREMUS: 24 August 2010

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Mon Aug 23 23:07:21 GMT 2010

OREMUS for Monday, August 24, 2009
Saint Bartholomew the Apostle

Blessed are you, God of mystery,
for your servant Bartholomew,
the apostle whom we know only by name:
even though death and time will take away
the memory of our work and life,
our faith will remain always in your sight, O Lord.
For this and all your mercies, we praise you,

Happy are they whose way is blameless,*
 who walk in the law of the Lord!
Happy are they who observe his decrees*
 and seek him with all their hearts!
Who never do any wrong,*
 but always walk in his ways.
You laid down your commandments,*
 that we should fully keep them.
O that my ways were made so direct*
 that I might keep your statutes!
Then I should not be put to shame,*
 when I regard all your commandments.
I will thank you with an unfeigned heart,*
 when I have learned your righteous judgements.
I will keep your statutes;*
 do not utterly forsake me.
How shall the young cleanse their way?*
 By keeping to your words.
With my whole heart I seek you;*
 let me not stray from your commandments.
I treasure your promise in my heart,*
 that I may not sin against you.
Blessed are you, O Lord;*
 instruct me in your statutes.
With my lips will I recite*
 all the judgements of your mouth.
I have taken greater delight in the way of your decrees*
 than in all manner of riches.
I will meditate on your commandments*
 and give attention to your ways.
My delight is in your statutes;*
 I will not forget your word.
Deal bountifully with your servant,*
 that I may live and keep your word.
Open my eyes, that I may see*
 the wonders of your law.
I am a stranger here on earth;*
 do not hide your commandments from me.
My soul is consumed at all times*
 with longing for your judgements.
You have rebuked the insolent;*
 cursed are they who stray from your commandments!
Turn from me shame and rebuke,*
 for I have kept your decrees.
Even though rulers sit and plot against me,*
 I will meditate on your statutes.
For your decrees are my delight,*
 and they are my counsellors.

My soul cleaves to the dust;*
 give me life according to your word.
I have confessed my ways and you answered me;*
 instruct me in your statutes.
Make me understand the way of your commandments,*
 that I may meditate on your marvellous works.
My soul melts away for sorrow;*
 strengthen me according to your word.
Take from me the way of lying;*
 let me find grace through your law.
I have chosen the way of faithfulness;*
 I have set your judgements before me.
I hold fast to your decrees;*
 O Lord, let me not be put to shame.
I will run the way of your commandments,*
 for you have set my heart at liberty.

FIRST READING [Ecclesiasticus 38:34b-39:10]:

How different the one who devotes himself
   to the study of the law of the Most High!
He seeks out the wisdom of all the ancients,
   and is concerned with prophecies;
he preserves the sayings of the famous
   and penetrates the subtleties of parables;
he seeks out the hidden meanings of proverbs
   and is at home with the obscurities of parables.
He serves among the great
   and appears before rulers;
he travels in foreign lands
   and learns what is good and evil in the human lot.
He sets his heart on rising early
   to seek the Lord who made him,
   and to petition the Most High;
he opens his mouth in prayer
   and asks pardon for his sins.

If the great Lord is willing,
   he will be filled with the spirit of
understanding;
he will pour forth words of wisdom of his own
   and give thanks to the Lord in prayer.
The Lord will direct his counsel and knowledge,
   as he meditates on his mysteries.
He will show the wisdom of what he has learned,
   and will glory in the law of the Lord's covenant.
Many will praise his understanding;
   it will never be blotted out.
His memory will not disappear,
   and his name will live through all generations.
Nations will speak of his wisdom,
   and the congregation will proclaim his praise.

HYMN
Words: Latin; trans. Richard Mant, 1837, as modified in Hymns Anicent & Modern
Tune: Rex gloriose martyrum
<a
href="http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/l/l028.html">http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/l/l028.html

Let all on earth their voices raise,
re-echoing heaven's triumphant praise,
to him who gave the apostles grace
to run on earth their glorious race.

Thou art whose word they bore the light
of Gospel truth o'er heathen night,
to us that heavenly light impart,
to glad our eyes and cheer our heart.

Thou art whose will to them was given
to bind and loose in earth and heaven,
our chains unbind, our sins undo,
and in our hearts thy grace renew.

Thou in whose might they spake the word
which cured disease and health restored,
to us its healing power prolong,
support the weak, confirm the strong.

And when the thrones are set on high,
and judgment's awful hour draws nigh,
then, Lord, with them pronounce us blessed,
and take us to thine endless rest.

SECOND READING [Matthew 10:1-14]:

Jesus summoned his twelve disciples and gave them authority over unclean spirits, to cast them
out, and to cure every disease and every sickness. These are the names of the twelve apostles:
first, Simon, also known as Peter, and his brother Andrew; James son of Zebedee, and his brother
John; Philip and Bartholomew; Thomas and Matthew the tax-collector; James son of Alphaeus,
and Thaddaeus; Simon the Cananaean, and Judas Iscariot, the one who betrayed him.
These twelve Jesus sent out with the following instructions: 'Go nowhere among the Gentiles,
and enter no town of the Samaritans, but go rather to the lost sheep of the house of Israel. As you
go, proclaim the good news, "The kingdom of heaven has come near." Cure the sick, raise the
dead, cleanse the lepers, cast out demons. You received without payment; give without payment.
Take no gold, or silver, or copper in your belts, no bag for your journey, or two tunics, or
sandals, or a staff; for labourers deserve their food. Whatever town or village you enter, find out
who in it is worthy, and stay there until you leave. As you enter the house, greet it. If the house is
worthy, let your peace come upon it; but if it is not worthy, let your peace return to you. If
anyone will not welcome you or listen to your words, shake off the dust from your feet as you
leave that house or town.'

The Benedictus (Morning),
the
Magnificat (Evening), or
Nunc dimittis (Night) may
follow.

Prayer:
Let us pray to God,
whose word was entrusted to the Apostles
and has spread to all the world.

Empower your Church
to proclaim the saving message of Jesus Christ.
Lord of mercy,
spread your word.

Give us courage and strength
to spread the Gospel in places
where it has not been preached.
Lord of mercy,
spread your word.

Bless us in our personal lives
that we may live fully according to Jesus' example.
Lord of mercy,
spread your word.

Open our eyes to your Word in the Holy Scriptures
that we find new paths of understanding.
Lord of mercy,
spread your word.

Remember, in your mercy, those who have gone before
marked with the sign of faith and led by the Gospel.
Lord of mercy,
spread your word.

Almighty and everlasting God,
who gave to your apostle Bartholomew grace
truly to believe and to preach your word:
grant that your Church
may love that word which he believed
and may faithfully preach and receive the same;

The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ,
the love of God,
and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit be with us all. Amen.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving is by Stephen Benner and is inspired
by a hymn by Jan Struther, 1931.

The intercession is by Stephen Benner and is inspired and uses a few phrases
from a prayer by Raymond Chapman in _Leading Intercessions_,
(c) 2000, Canterbury Press.

The collect is from _Common Worship: Services and Prayers for the
Church of England_, material from which is included in this service
is copyright (c) The Archbishops' Council, 2000.

The closing sentence uses phrases from a collect in _Common Worship:
Services and Prayers for the Church of England_, material from which is
included in this service is copyright (c) The Archbishops' Council, 2000.

The name "Bartholomew" appears in the New Testament only on lists of the
names of the twelve apostles. This list normally is given as six pairs, and the
third pair in each of the Synoptics is "Philip and Bartholomew".
John gives no list of the Twelve, but refers to more of them individually than
the writers of the synoptic Gospels. He does not name Bartholomew, but early
in his account he tells of the call to discipleship of a Nathaniel who is often
supposed to be the same person. The reasoning is as follows: John's Nathanael
is introduced as one of the earliest followers of Jesus, and in terms which
suggest that he became one of the Twelve. He is clearly not the same as Peter,
Andrew, James, John, Philip, Thomas, Judas Iscariot, Judas (not Iscariot, also
called Lebbaeus or Thaddeus), all of whom John names separately. He is not
Matthew, whose call is described differently. This leaves Bartholomew, James
the son of Alpheus, and Simon Zelotes. Of these, Bartholomew is the leading
candidate for two reasons:
(1) "Bar-tholomew" is a patronymic, meaning "son of Tolmai (or Talmai)." It
is therefore likely that he had another name."Nathanael son of Tolmai" seems
more likely than "Nathanael also called James (or Simon)."
(2) Nathanael is introduced in John's narrative as a friend of Philip. Since
Bartholomew is paired with Philip on three of our four lists of Apostles, it
seems likely that they were associated.
We have no certain information about Bartholomew's later life. Some writers,
including the historian Eusebius of Caesarea, say that he preached in India. The
majority tradition, with varying details, is that Bartholomew preached in
Armenia, and was finally skinned alive and beheaded to Albanus or Albanopolis
on the Caspian Sea. His emblem in art is a flaying knife. The flayed
Bartholomew can be seen in Michelangelo's Sistine painting of the Last
Judgement. He is holding his skin. The face on the skin is generally considered
to be a self-portrait of Michelangelo.