OREMUS: 3 April 2010

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Fri Apr 2 17:00:00 GMT 2010

OREMUS for Saturday, April 3, 2010
Holy Saturday
(for use before the Vigil)

Silent prayer

Psalm 18
I love you, O Lord my strength,*
 O Lord my stronghold, my crag and my haven.
My God, my rock in whom I put my trust,*
 my shield, the horn of my salvation and my refuge;
   you are worthy of praise.
I will call upon the Lord,*
 and so shall I be saved from my enemies.
The breakers of death rolled over me,*
 and the torrents of oblivion made me afraid.
The cords of hell entangled me,*
 and the snares of death were set for me.
I called upon the Lord in my distress*
 and cried out to my God for help.
He heard my voice from his heavenly dwelling;*
 my cry of anguish came to his ears.
The earth reeled and rocked;*
 the roots of the mountains shook;
   they reeled because of his anger.
Smoke rose from his nostrils
   and a consuming fire out of his mouth;*
 hot burning coals blazed forth from him.
He parted the heavens and came down*
 with a storm cloud under his feet.
He mounted on cherubim and flew;*
 he swooped on the wings of the wind.
He wrapped darkness about him;*
 he made dark waters and thick clouds his pavilion.
>From the brightness of his presence, through the clouds,*
 burst hailstones and coals of fire.
The Lord thundered out of heaven;*
 the Most High uttered his voice.
He loosed his arrows and scattered them;*
 he hurled thunderbolts and routed them.
The beds of the seas were uncovered,
   and the foundations of the world laid bare,*
 at your battle cry, O Lord,
   at the blast of the breath of your nostrils.
He reached down from on high and grasped me;*
 he drew me out of great waters.
He delivered me from my strong enemies
   and from those who hated me;*
 for they were too mighty for me.
They confronted me in the day of my disaster;*
 but the Lord was my support.
He brought me out into an open place;*
 he rescued me because he delighted in me.

The Lord rewarded me because of my righteous dealing;*
 because my hands were clean he rewarded me;
For I have kept the ways of the Lord*
 and have not offended against my God;
For all his judgements are before my eyes,*
 and his decrees I have not put away from me;
For I have been blameless with him*
 and have kept myself from iniquity;
Therefore the Lord rewarded me
   according to my righteous dealing,*
 because of the cleanness of my hands in his sight.
With the faithful you show yourself faithful, O God;*
 with the forthright you show yourself forthright.
With the pure you show yourself pure,*
 but with the crooked you are wily.
You will save a lowly people,*
 but you will humble the haughty eyes.
You, O Lord, are my lamp;*
 my God, you make my darkness bright.
With you I will break down an enclosure;*
 with the help of my God I will scale any wall.
As for God, his ways are perfect;
   the words of the Lord are tried in the fire;*
 he is a shield to all who trust in him.
For who is God, but the Lord?*
 who is the rock, except our God?
It is God who girds me about with strength*
 and makes my way secure.
He makes me sure-footed like a deer*
 and lets me stand firm on the heights.
He trains my hands for battle*
 and my arms for bending even a bow of bronze.
You have given me your shield of victory;*
 your right hand also sustains me;
   your loving care makes me great.
You lengthen my stride beneath me,*
 and my ankles do not give way.
I pursue my enemies and overtake them;*
 I will not turn back till I have destroyed them.
I strike them down and they cannot rise;*
 they fall defeated at my feet.
You have girded me with strength for the battle;*
 you have cast down my adversaries beneath me;
   you have put my enemies to flight.
I destroy those who hate me;
   they cry out, but there is none to help them;*
 they cry to the Lord, but he does not answer.
I beat them small like dust before the wind;*
 I trample them like mud in the streets.
You deliver me from the strife of the peoples;*
 you put me at the head of the nations.
A people I have not known shall serve me;
   no sooner shall they hear than they shall obey me;*
 strangers will cringe before me.
The foreign peoples will lose heart;*
 they shall come trembling out of their strongholds.
The Lord lives! Blessèd is my rock!*
 Exalted is the God of my salvation!
He is the God who gave me victory*
 and cast down the peoples beneath me.
You rescued me from the fury of my enemies;
   you exalted me above those who rose against me;*
 you saved me from my deadly foe;
Therefore will I extol you among the nations, O Lord,*
 and sing praises to your name.
He multiplies the victories of his king;*
 he shows loving-kindness to his anointed,
   to David and his descendants for ever.

FIRST READING [Job 14:1-14]:

A mortal, born of woman, few of days and full of trouble,
   comes up like a flower and withers,
   flees like a shadow and does not last.
Do you fix your eyes on such a one?
   Do you bring me into judgement with you?
Who can bring a clean thing out of an unclean?
   No one can.
Since their days are determined,
   and the number of their months is known to you,
   and you have appointed the bounds that they cannot pass,
look away from them, and desist,
   that they may enjoy, like labourers, their days.

For there is hope for a tree,
   if it is cut down, that it will sprout again,
   and that its shoots will not cease.
Though its root grows old in the earth,
   and its stump dies in the ground,
yet at the scent of water it will bud
   and put forth branches like a young plant.
But mortals die, and are laid low;
   humans expire, and where are they?
As waters fail from a lake,
   and a river wastes away and dries up,
so mortals lie down and do not rise again;
   until the heavens are no more, they will not awake
   or be roused out of their sleep.
O that you would hide me in Sheol,
   that you would conceal me until your wrath is past,
   that you would appoint me a set time, and remember me!
If mortals die, will they live again?
   All the days of my service I would wait
   until my release should come.

HYMN
Words: Thomas Whytehead, 1842
Tune: Redhead

Resting from his work today
in the tomb the Savior lay;
still he slept, from head to feet
shrouded in the winding-sheet,
lying in the rock alone,
hidden by the sealed stone.

Late at even there was seen
watching long the Magdalene;
early, ere the break of day,
sorrowful she took her way
to the holy garden glade,
where her buried Lord was laid.

So with thee, till life shall end,
I would solemn vigil spend;
let me hew thee, Lord, a shrine
in this rocky heart of mine,
where in pure embalmed cell
none but thou may ever dwell.

Myrrh and spices will I bring,
true affection's offering;
close the door from sight and sound
of the busy world around;
and in patient watch remain
till my Lord appear again.

SECOND READING [Hebrews 4]:

Therefore, while the promise of entering his rest is still open, let us take care that none of you should seem to have failed to reach it. For indeed the good news came to us just as to them; but the message they heard did not benefit them, because they were not united by faith with those who listened. For we who have believed enter that rest, just as God has said,
'As in my anger I swore,
“They shall not enter my rest” ',
though his works were finished at the foundation of the world. For in one place it speaks about the seventh day as follows: 'And God rested on the seventh day from all his works.' And again in this place it says, 'They shall not enter my rest.' Since therefore it remains open for some to enter it, and those who formerly received the good news failed to enter because of disobedience, again he sets a certain day—'today'—saying through David much later, in the words already quoted,
'Today, if you hear his voice,
do not harden your hearts.'

For if Joshua had given them rest, God would not speak later about another day. So then, a sabbath rest still remains for the people of God; for those who enter God's rest also cease from their labours as God did from his. Let us therefore make every effort to enter that rest, so that no one may fall through such disobedience as theirs.

Indeed, the word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing until it divides soul from spirit, joints from marrow; it is able to judge the thoughts and intentions of the heart. And before him no creature is hidden, but all are naked and laid bare to the eyes of the one to whom we must render an account.

Since, then, we have a great high priest who has passed through the heavens, Jesus, the Son of God, let us hold fast to our confession. For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who in every respect has been tested as we are, yet without sin. Let us therefore approach the throne of grace with boldness, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need.

In the midst of life we are in death;
from whom can we seek help?
>From you alone, O Lord,
who by our sins are justly angered.

Holy God, Holy and Mighty,
Holy and merciful Savior,
deliver us not into the bitterness of eternal death.

Lord, you know the secrets of our hearts;
shut not your ears to our prayers,
but spare us, O Lord.

Holy God, Holy and Mighty,
Holy and merciful Savior,
deliver us not into the bitterness of eternal death.

O worthy and eternal Judge,
do not let the pains of death
turn us away from you at our last hour.

Holy God, Holy and Mighty,
Holy and merciful Savior,
deliver us not into the bitterness of eternal death.

O God, we carry in our own bodies
the death of the Lord Jesus,
that likewise we might manifest his life:
let not our spiritual foe prevail against us,
but with the morning light
raise us up from the sleep of sin and death;
through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Standing at the foot of the cross,
we pray as our Savior has taught us:

- The Lord's Prayer

Christ Jesus humbled himself for us,
and in obedience accepted death,
even death on a cross.
Therefore God has raised him to the heights
and given him the name
which is above all other names.