OREMUS: 2 April 2010

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Thu Apr 1 17:00:00 GMT 2010

OREMUS for Friday, April 2, 2010
Good Friday

Silent prayer

Psalm 12

Help me, Lord, for there is no godly one left;*
 the faithful have vanished from among us.
Everyone speaks falsely with their neighbour;*
 with a smooth tongue they speak from a double heart.
O that the Lord would cut off all smooth tongues,*
 and close the lips that utter proud boasts!
Those who say, 'With our tongue will we prevail;*
 our lips are our own; who is lord over us?'
'Because the needy are oppressed,
   and the poor cry out in misery,*
 I will rise up', says the Lord,
   'and give them the help they long for.'
The words of the Lord are pure words,*
 like silver refined from ore
   and purified seven times in the fire.
O Lord, watch over us*
 and save us from this generation for ever.
The wicked prowl on every side,*
 and that which is worthless is highly prized by everyone.

Psalm 13

How long, O Lord;
   will you forget me for ever?*
 how long will you hide your face from me?
How long shall I have perplexity in my mind,
   and grief in my heart, day after day?*
 how long shall my enemy triumph over me?
Look upon me and answer me, O Lord my God;*
 give light to my eyes, lest I sleep in death;
Lest my enemy say, 'I have prevailed over him',*
 and my foes rejoice that I have fallen.
But I put my trust in your mercy;*
 my heart is joyful because of your saving help.
I will sing to the Lord,
   for he has dealt with me richly;*
 I will praise the name of the Lord Most High.

Psalm 14

The fool has said in his heart, 'There is no God.'*
 All are corrupt and commit abominable acts;
   there is none who does any good.
The Lord looks down from heaven upon us all,*
 to see if there is any who is wise,
   if there is one who seeks after God.
Everyone has proved faithless;
   all alike have turned bad;*
 there is none who does good; no, not one.
Have they no knowledge, all those evildoers*
 who eat up my people like bread
   and do not call upon the Lord?
See how they tremble with fear,*
 because God is in the company of the righteous.
Their aim is to confound the plans of the afflicted,*
 but the Lord is their refuge.
O that Israel's deliverance would come out of Zion!*
 when the Lord restores the fortunes of his people,
   Jacob will rejoice and Israel be glad.

READING [Genesis 22:1-18]:

After these things God tested Abraham. He said to him, 'Abraham!' And he said, 'Here I am.' He
said, 'Take your son, your only son Isaac, whom you love, and go to the land of Moriah, and
offer him there as a burnt-offering on one of the mountains that I shall show you.' So Abraham
rose early in the morning, saddled his donkey, and took two of his young men with him, and his
son Isaac; he cut the wood for the burnt-offering, and set out and went to the place in the distance
that God had shown him. On the third day Abraham looked up and saw the place far away. Then
Abraham said to his young men, 'Stay here with the donkey; the boy and I will go over there; we
will worship, and then we will come back to you.' Abraham took the wood of the burnt-offering
and laid it on his son Isaac, and he himself carried the fire and the knife. So the two of them
walked on together. Isaac said to his father Abraham, 'Father!' And he said, 'Here I am, my son.'
He said, 'The fire and the wood are here, but where is the lamb for a burnt-offering?' Abraham
said, 'God himself will provide the lamb for a burnt-offering, my son.' So the two of them walked
on together.
When they came to the place that God had shown him, Abraham built an altar there and laid the
wood in order. He bound his son Isaac, and laid him on the altar, on top of the wood. Then
Abraham reached out his hand and took the knife to kill his son. But the angel of the Lord called
to him from heaven, and said, 'Abraham, Abraham!' And he said, 'Here I am.' He said, 'Do not
lay your hand on the boy or do anything to him; for now I know that you fear God, since you
have not withheld your son, your only son, from me.' And Abraham looked up and saw a ram,
caught in a thicket by its horns. Abraham went and took the ram and offered it up as a
burnt-offering instead of his son. So Abraham called that place 'The Lord will provide'; as it is
said to this day, 'On the mount of the Lord it shall be provided.'
The angel of the Lord called to Abraham a second time from heaven, and said, 'By myself I have
sworn, says the Lord: Because you have done this, and have not withheld your son, your only
son, I will indeed bless you, and I will make your offspring as numerous as the stars of heaven and
as the sand that is on the seashore. And your offspring shall possess the gate of their enemies, and
by your offspring shall all the nations of the earth gain blessing for themselves, because you have
obeyed my voice.'
HYMN
Words: Frederick William Faber, 1849
Tune: St. Cross
<a
href="http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/o/o074.html">http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/o/o074.html

O come and mourn with me awhile;
O come ye to the Savior's side;
O come, together let us mourn;
Jesus, our Love, is crucified.

Have we no tears to shed for him,
while soldiers scoff and foes deride?
Ah! look how patiently he hangs;
Jesus, our Love, is crucified.

How fast his hands and feet are nailed;
his blessed tongue with thirst is tied,
his failing eyes are blind with blood:
Jesus, our Love, is crucified.

His mother cannot reach his face;
she stands in helplessness beside;
her heart is martyred with her Son's:
Jesus, our Love, is Crucified.

Seven times seven he spoke, seven words of love;
and all three hours his silence cried
for mercy on the souls of men;
Jesus, our Love, is crucified.

O break, O break, hard heart of mine!
Thy weak self-love and guilty pride
his Pilate and his Judas were:
Jesus, our Love, is crucified.

A broken heart, a fount of tears,
ask, and they will not be denied;
a broken heart love's cradle is:
Jesus, our Love, is crucified.

O love of God! O sin of man!
In this dread act your strength is tried;
and victory remains with love;
for he, our Love, is crucified.

SECOND READING [Colossians 1:18-23]:

Christ Jesus is the head of the body, the church; he is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead,
so that he might come to have first place in everything. For in him all the fullness of God was
pleased to dwell, and through him God was pleased to reconcile to himself all things, whether on
earth or in heaven, by making peace through the blood of his cross.
And you who were once estranged and hostile in mind, doing evil deeds, he has now reconciled in
his fleshly body through death, so as to present you holy and blameless and irreproachable before
him  provided that you continue securely established and steadfast in the faith, without shifting
from the hope promised by the gospel that you heard, which has been proclaimed to every
creature under heaven. I, Paul, became a servant of this gospel.

The Benedictus (Morning),
the
Magnificat (Evening), or
Nunc dimittis (Night) may
follow.

Prayer:
The Reproaches of Jesus on the Cross:
My people, what wrong have I done to you?
What good have I not done for you?
Listen to me.

I am your Creator, Lord of the universe;
I have entrusted this world to you,
but you have created the means to destroy it.

My people, what wrong have I done to you?
What good have I not done for you?
Listen to me.

I made you in my image,
but you have degraded body and spirit
and marred the image of your God.
You have deserted me and turned your backs on me.

My people, what wrong have I done to you?
What good have I not done for you?
Listen to me.

I filled the earth with all that you need,
so that you might serve and care for one another,
as I have cared for you;
but you have cared only to serve your own wealth and power.

Holy God,
Holy and Mighty,
Holy Immortal One,
have mercy upon us.

My people, what wrong have I done to you?
What good have I not done for you?
Listen to me.

I made my children of one blood
to live in families rejoicing in one another;
but you have embittered the races
and divided the nations.

My people, what wrong have I done to you?
What good have I not done for you?
Listen to me.

I commanded you to love your neighbour as yourself,
to love and forgive even your enemies;
but you have made vengeance your rule
and hate your guide.

My people, what wrong have I done to you?
What good have I not done for you?
Listen to me.

In the fullness of time I sent you my Son,
that in him you might know me,
and through him find life and peace;
but you put him to death on the cross.

Holy God,
Holy and Mighty,
Holy Immortal One,
have mercy upon us.

My people, what wrong have I done to you?
What good have I not done for you?
Listen to me.

Through the living Christ, I called you into my Church
to be my servants to the world,
but you have grasped at privilege
and forgotten my will.

My people, what wrong have I done to you?
What good have I not done for you?
Listen to me.

I have given you a heavenly gift
and a share in the Holy Spirit;
I have given you the spiritual energies
of the age to come;
but you have turned away
and crucified the Son of God afresh.

My people, what wrong have I done to you?
What good have I not done for you?
Listen to me.

I have consecrated you in the truth;
I have made you to be one
in the unity of the Father and the Son,
by the power of the Spirit;
but you have divided my Church
and shrouded my truth.

Holy God,
Holy and Mighty,
Holy Immortal One,
have mercy upon us.

Turn again, my people, listen to me.

Let your bearing to one another
arise out of your life in Christ Jesus.
He humbled himself
and in obedience accepted the death of the cross.
But I have bestowed on him
the name that is above every name,
that at the name of Jesus,
every knee should bow
and every tongue confess,
Jesus Christ is Lord.

Turn again, my people, listen to me.
Father, hear our prayer and forgive us.

Unstop our ears
that we may receive the gospel of the cross.
Lighten our eyes
that we may see your glory
in the face of your Son.
Penetrate our minds
that your truth may make us whole.
Irradiate our hearts with your love
that we may love one another for Christ's sake.
Father, forgive us.

Almighty God,
look with mercy on your family,
for whom our Lord Jesus Christ was willing to be betrayed,
and to be given into the hands of sinners,
and to suffer death upon the cross;
who now lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit,
one God, forever and ever. Amen.

Standing at the foot of the cross,
we pray as our Savior has taught us:

- The Lord's Prayer

Christ Jesus humbled himself for us,
and in obedience accepted death,
even death on a cross.

The invitation to the Lord's Prayer are (adapted) from _Common
Worship: Daily Prayer, Preliminary Edition_, copyright (c) The
Archbishops' Council, 2002.

The reproaches are from _Lent, Holy Week, Easter_, copyright
(c) the Central Board of Finance of the Church of England, 1984, 1986.

Westminster / John Knox Press.