OREMUS: 30 September 2009

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Tue Sep 29 22:06:58 GMT 2009

OREMUS for Wednesday, September 30, 2009
Jerome, Translator of the Scriptures, Teacher of the Faith, 420

Blessed are you, God of our salvation,
we falter before the demands of your word
and turn away from your call to life.
Yet you pour out your mercy on us
as you showed mercy to your people of old,
that we may turn from our sinfulness
and walk the path of self-emptying love
made known in Jesus Christ.

I hate those who have a divided heart,*
 but your law do I love.
You are my refuge and shield;*
 my hope is in your word.
Away from me, you wicked!*
 I will keep the commandments of my God.
Sustain me according to your promise, that I may live,*
 and let me not be disappointed in my hope.
Hold me up and I shall be safe,*
 and my delight shall be ever in your statutes.
You spurn all who stray from your statutes;*

 their deceitfulness is in vain.

In your sight all the wicked of the earth are but dross;*
 therefore I love your decrees.
My flesh trembles with dread of you;*
 I am afraid of your judgements.

I have done what is just and right;*
 do not deliver me to my oppressors.
Be surety for your servant's good;*
 let not the proud oppress me.
My eyes have failed from watching for your salvation*
 and for your righteous promise.
Deal with your servant
   according to your lovingkindness*
 and teach me your statutes.
I am your servant; grant me understanding,*
 that I may know your decrees.
It is time for you to act, O Lord,*
 for they have broken your law.
Truly, I love your commandments*
 more than gold and precious stones.
I hold all your commandments to be right for me;*
 all paths of falsehood I abhor.

A Song of Redemption (Colossians 1.1318a,19,20a)

The Father has delivered us from the dominion of darkness,
and transferred us to the kingdom of his beloved Son;
In whom we have redemption,
the forgiveness of our sins.
He is the image of the invisible God,
the firstborn of all creation.
For in him all things were created,
in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible.
All things were created through him and for him,
he is before all things and in him all things hold together.
He is the head of the body, the Church,
he is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead.
In him all the fullness of God was pleased to dwell;
and through him God was pleased to reconcile all things.

Psalm 147:13-end

Alleluia!
Worship the Lord, O Jerusalem;*
 praise your God, O Zion;
 he satisfies you with the finest wheat.
He sends out his command to the earth,*
 and his word runs very swiftly.
He gives snow like wool;*
 he scatters hoarfrost like ashes.
 who can stand against his cold?
He declares his word to Jacob,*

FIRST READING [Ecclesiasticus 44:1-15]:

Let us now sing the praises of famous men,
   our ancestors in their generations.
The Lord apportioned to them great glory,
   his majesty from the beginning.
There were those who ruled in their kingdoms,
   and made a name for themselves by their valour;
those who gave counsel because they were intelligent;
   those who spoke in prophetic oracles;
those who led the people by their counsels
   and by their knowledge of the people’s lore;
   they were wise in their words of instruction;
those who composed musical tunes,
   or put verses in writing;
rich men endowed with resources,
   living peacefully in their homes—
all these were honoured in their generations,
   and were the pride of their times.
Some of them have left behind a name,
   so that others declare their praise.
But of others there is no memory;
   they have perished as though they had never existed;
they have become as though they had never been born,
   they and their children after them.
But these also were godly men,
   whose righteous deeds have not been forgotten;
their wealth will remain with their descendants,
   and their inheritance with their children’s children.
Their descendants stand by the covenants;
   their children also, for their sake.
Their offspring will continue for ever,
   and their glory will never be blotted out.
Their bodies are buried in peace,
   but their name lives on generation after generation.
The assembly declares their wisdom,
   and the congregation proclaims their praise.

HYMN
Words: Alan Gaunt   1991 by Stainer & Bell Ltd. Used with permission
Tune: Bourbon

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/g/g318.html

God's Spirit, as a rising gale,
tears down our false tranquility;
come surging through our settled minds,
demolish our complacency!

God's Spirit, as the breath of life,
creation's source and guide and goal,
breathe life into our souls again;
restore our faith and make us whole.

God's Spirit, as an icy blast,
strike through the scorching enmity
that burns our human love to ash;
extinguish all hostility.

God's Spirit, as a healing breeze,
stream gently through our troubled days,
to set us on our feet again,
with confidence, delight, and praise.

God's Spirit, fierce and wild,
and yet unfolding like a mother's womb,
surprise us: bring us, newly born,
with Jesus leaping from the tomb!

SECOND READING [1 Thessalonians 2:17- 3:13]:

As for us, brothers and sisters,* when, for a short time, we were made orphans by being separated from you—in person, not in heart—we longed with great eagerness to see you face to face. 18For we wanted to come to you—certainly I, Paul, wanted to again and again—but Satan blocked our way. 19For what is our hope or joy or crown of boasting before our Lord Jesus at his coming? Is it not you? 20Yes, you are our glory and joy!

3Therefore when we could bear it no longer, we decided to be left alone in Athens; 2and we sent Timothy, our brother and co-worker for God in proclaiming* the gospel of Christ, to strengthen and encourage you for the sake of your faith, 3so that no one would be shaken by these persecutions. Indeed, you yourselves know that this is what we are destined for. 4In fact, when we were with you, we told you beforehand that we were to suffer persecution; so it turned out, as you know. 5For this reason, when I could bear it no longer, I sent to find out about your faith; I was afraid that somehow the tempter had tempted you and that our labour had been in vain.

Timothy’s Encouraging Report
6 But Timothy has just now come to us from you, and has brought us the good news of your faith and love. He has told us also that you always remember us kindly and long to see us—just as we long to see you. 7For this reason, brothers and sisters,* during all our distress and persecution we have been encouraged about you through your faith. 8For we now live, if you continue to stand firm in the Lord. 9How can we thank God enough for you in return for all the joy that we feel before our God because of you? 10Night and day we pray most earnestly that we may see you face to face and restore whatever is lacking in your faith.

11Now may our God and Father himself and our Lord Jesus direct our way to you. 12And may the Lord make you increase and abound in love for one another and for all, just as we abound in love for you. 13And may he so strengthen your hearts in holiness that you may be blameless before our God and Father at the coming of our Lord Jesus with all his saints.

Holy Father,
you have reconciled us to yourself in Christ;
by your Spirit
you enable us to live as your children.

We pray for personal relationships
the home, and family life....
children deprived of home....
friends, relations and neighbours....
relationships in daily life and work....
those who are estranged....
ministries of care and healing...

Holy Father, we give you thanks
for the obedience of Christ fulfilled in the cross,
his bearing of the sin of the world,
his mercy for the world, which never fails....

for the joy of human love and friendship,
the lives to which our own are bound,
the gift of peace with you and each other....

for the communities in whose life we share
and all relationships
in which reconciliation may be known....

Help us to share in Christ's ministry
and to love and serve one another in peace;
through the same Jesus Christ our Lord,
who in the unity of the Spirit
is one with you for ever. Amen.

O Lord, how manifold are all your works
and the earth is full of your creatures.
Send forth your Spirit again this day
to renew the face of the earth,
that the whole creation may reflect
the majesty of your glory;
through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

O Lord, O God of truth,
your Word is a lantern to our feet
and a light upon our path:
We give you thanks for your servant Jerome,
and those who, following in his steps,
have labored to render the Holy Scriptures
in the language of the people;
and we pray that your Holy Spirit
will overshadow us as we read the written Word,
and that Christ, the living Word,
will transform us according to your righteous will;
for he lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit,

Pour out your Spirit, O God, over all the world,
to inspire every heart with knowledge and love of you. Amen.

The opening prayer is adapted from _Revised Common Lectionary Prayers_, copyright (c) 2002 Consultation on Common Texts. The closing prayer use phrases from a prayer in _Opening Prayers: Collects in Contemporary Language_ (c) Canterbury Press, Norwich, 1999.