OREMUS: 28 September 2009

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sun Sep 27 20:35:12 GMT 2009

OREMUS for Monday, September 28, 2009

Blessed are you, God of our salvation,
we falter before the demands of your word
and turn away from your call to life.
Yet you pour out your mercy on us
as you showed mercy to your people of old,
that we may turn from our sinfulness
and walk the path of self-emptying love
made known in Jesus Christ.

Bless the Lord, O my soul,*
 and all that is within me, bless his holy name.
Bless the Lord, O my soul,*
 and forget not all his benefits.
He forgives all your sins*
 and heals all your infirmities;
He redeems your life from the grave*
 and crowns you with mercy and lovingkindness;
He satisfies you with good things,*
 and your youth is renewed like an eagle's.
The Lord executes righteousness*
 and judgement for all who are oppressed.
He made his ways known to Moses*
 and his works to the children of Israel.
The Lord is full of compassion and mercy,*
 slow to anger and of great kindness.
He will not always accuse us,*
 nor will he keep his anger for ever.
He has not dealt with us according to our sins,*
 nor rewarded us according to our wickedness.
For as the heavens are high above the earth,*
 so is his mercy great upon those who fear him.
As far as the east is from the west,*
 so far has he removed our sins from us.
As a father cares for his children,*
 so does the Lord care for those who fear him.
For he himself knows whereof we are made;*
 he remembers that we are but dust.
Our days are like the grass;*
 we flourish like a flower of the field;
When the wind goes over it, it is gone,*
 and its place shall know it no more.
But the merciful goodness of the Lord
   endures for ever on those who fear him,*
 and his righteousness on children's children;
On those who keep his covenant*
 and remember his commandments and do them.
The Lord has set his throne in heaven,*
 and his kingship has dominion over all.
Bless the Lord, you angels of his,
   you mighty ones who do his bidding,*
 and hearken to the voice of his word.

Bless the Lord, all you his hosts,*
 you ministers of his who do his will.
Bless the Lord, all you works of his,
   in all places of his dominion;*
 bless the Lord, O my soul.

A Song of the Blessed (Matthew 5.310)

Blessed are the poor in spirit,
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
Blessed are those who mourn,
for they shall be comforted.
Blessed are the meek,
for they shall inherit the earth.
Blessed are those who hunger
and thirst after righteousness,
for they shall be satisfied.
Blessed are the merciful,
for they shall obtain mercy.
Blessed are the pure in heart,
for they shall see God.
Blessed are the peacemakers,
for they shall be called children of God.
Blessed are those who suffer persecution
for righteousness( sake,
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
Rejoice and be glad
for you are the light of the world,
and great is your reward in heaven.

FIRST READING [Ecclesiasticus 43:13-19]:

By his command he sends the driving snow
   and speeds the lightnings of his judgement.
Therefore the storehouses are opened,
   and the clouds fly out like birds.
In his majesty he gives the clouds their strength,
   and the hailstones are broken in pieces.
The voice of his thunder rebukes the earth;
   when he appears, the mountains shake.
At his will the south wind blows;
   so do the storm from the north and the whirlwind.
He scatters the snow like birds flying down,
   and its descent is like locusts alighting.
The eye is dazzled by the beauty of its whiteness,
   and the mind is amazed as it falls.
He pours frost over the earth like salt,
   and icicles form like pointed thorns.

HYMN
Words: W Vernon Higham (born 1926)
Tune:

Turn us again, Shepherd Divine;
Cherubim praise and heaven declares Thy Name:
Name of Our Lord and name to us most dear;
Kindle a flame.

Kindle a flame, within the hearts,
Stir us to seek and turn to God again:
O let Thy grace draw forth our souls to Thee,
Thy name to claim.

Teach us to weep for godly gifts;
Tears in great measure grant to us today:
Tasting the bread, the sorrows of the Head,
Whom men did slay.

O bless the fruit for it is Thine,
Pour forth Thy presence, see our cruel foes;
Stir up Thy strength and come, O come O Lord!
Remove our woes.

Jerusalem is desolate,
Yet once was full with glory and with grace;
The shadow of Thy Cross spread through the land:
We seek Thy face.

Look down upon Thy heritage;
Let fruits of grace flow down as holy wine;
Revive Thy work, and cause Thine own to praise:
Visit this vine!

SECOND READING [1 Thessalonians 1]:

Paul, Silvanus, and Timothy,

To the church of the Thessalonians in God the Father and the Lord Jesus Christ:

Grace to you and peace.

We always give thanks to God for all of you and mention you in our prayers, constantly remembering before our God and Father your work of faith and labour of love and steadfastness of hope in our Lord Jesus Christ. For we know, brothers and sisters beloved by God, that he has chosen you, because our message of the gospel came to you not in word only, but also in power and in the Holy Spirit and with full conviction; just as you know what kind of people we proved to be among you for your sake. And you became imitators of us and of the Lord, for in spite of persecution you received the word with joy inspired by the Holy Spirit, so that you became an example to all the believers in Macedonia and in Achaia. For the word of the Lord has sounded forth from you not only in Macedonia and Achaia, but in every place where your faith in God has become known, so that we have no need to speak about it. For the people of those regions report about us what kind of welcome we had among you, and how you turned to God from idols, to serve a living and true God, and to wait for his Son from heaven, whom he raised from the dead—Jesus, who rescues us from the wrath that is coming.

maker of all good things and Father of all;
you have shown us in Christ the purpose of your creation
and call us to be responsible in the world.

We pray for the world
all the nations....
our own country....
those in authority....
the peace of the world....
racial harmony....
those who maintain order....

Almighty God, we give you thanks
for the order of created things

the resources of the earth
and the gift of human life....

for the continuing work of creation,
man's share in it,
and for creative vision and inventive skill....

for your faithfulness to man in patience and in love,
and for every human response of obedience
and humble achievement....

May we delight in your purpose
and work to bring all things to their true end;
through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

As your merciful goodness endures for ever, O Lord,
remember that we are but dust;
do not deal with us according to our sins
but, in your compassion, redeem our life
and crown us with your mercy and lovingkindness;
for the sake of Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Pour out your Spirit, O God, over all the world,
to inspire every heart with knowledge and love of you. Amen.

The opening prayer is adapted from _Revised Common Lectionary Prayers_, copyright (c) 2002 Consultation on Common Texts. The closing prayer use phrases from a prayer in _Opening Prayers: Collects in Contemporary Language_ (c) Canterbury Press, Norwich, 1999.