OREMUS: 10 September 2009

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Wed Sep 9 17:00:01 GMT 2009

OREMUS for Thursday, September 10, 2009

who shaped creation at earth's chaotic dawn,
who framed us in your image;
your goodness is revealed in mercy and compassion,
you touch us with tenderness,
and broken hearts are healed.

The Lord is my light and my salvation;
   whom then shall I fear?*
 the Lord is the strength of my life;
   of whom then shall I be afraid?
When evildoers came upon me to eat up my flesh,*
 it was they, my foes and my adversaries,
   who stumbled and fell.
Though an army should encamp against me,*
 yet my heart shall not be afraid;
And though war should rise up against me,*
 yet will I put my trust in him.
One thing have I asked of the Lord;
   one thing I seek;*
 that I may dwell in the house of the Lord
   all the days of my life;
To behold the fair beauty of the Lord*
 and to seek him in his temple.
For in the day of trouble
   he shall keep me safe in his shelter;*
 he shall hide me in the secrecy of his dwelling
   and set me high upon a rock.
Even now he lifts up my head*
 above my enemies round about me;
Therefore I will offer in his dwelling an oblation
   with sounds of great gladness;*
 I will sing and make music to the Lord.
Hearken to my voice, O Lord, when I call;*
 have mercy on me and answer me.
You speak in my heart and say, 'Seek my face.'*
 Your face, Lord, will I seek.
Hide not your face from me,*
 nor turn away your servant in displeasure.
You have been my helper;
   cast me not away;*
 do not forsake me, O God of my salvation.
Though my father and my mother forsake me,*
 the Lord will sustain me.
Show me your way, O Lord;*
 lead me on a level path, because of my enemies.
Deliver me not into the hand of my adversaries,*
 for false witnesses have risen up against me,
   and also those who speak malice.

What if I had not believed
   that I should see the goodness of the Lord*
 in the land of the living!
O tarry and await the Lord's pleasure;
   be strong and he shall comfort your heart;*
 wait patiently for the Lord.

A Song of Tobit (Tobit 13.1,3,46a)

Blessed be God, who lives for ever,
whose reign endures throughout all ages.
Declare God(s praise before the nations,
you who are the children of Israel.
For if our God has scattered you among them,
there too has he shown you his greatness.
Exalt him in the sight of the living,
because he is our Lord and God and our Father for ever.
Though God punishes you for your wickedness,
mercy will be shown to you all.
God will gather you from every nation,
from wherever you have been scattered.
When you turn to the Lord
with all your heart and soul,
God will hide his face from you no more.
See what the Lord has done for you
and give thanks with a loud voice.
Praise the Lord of righteousness
and exalt the King of the ages.

 you seamonsters and all deeps;

FIRST READING [Ecclesiasticus 15:11-end]:

Do not say, 'It was the Lord’s doing that I fell away';
   for he does not do what he hates.
Do not say, ‘It was he who led me astray’;
   for he has no need of the sinful.
The Lord hates all abominations;
   such things are not loved by those who fear him.
It was he who created humankind in the beginning,
   and he left them in the power of their own free choice.
If you choose, you can keep the commandments,
   and to act faithfully is a matter of your own choice.
He has placed before you fire and water;
   stretch out your hand for whichever you choose.
Before each person are life and death,
   and whichever one chooses will be given.
For great is the wisdom of the Lord;
   he is mighty in power and sees everything;
his eyes are on those who fear him,
   and he knows every human action.
He has not commanded anyone to be wicked,
   and he has not given anyone permission to sin.

HYMN
Words: Frances Ridley Havergal (1836-1879)
Tune: St Alphege

In full and glad surrender
I give myself to thee;
Thine utterly, and only,
And evermore to be.

O Son of God, who lov'st me,
I will be thine alone;
And all I have, and all I am,
Shall henceforth be thine own.

Reign over me, Lord Jesus;
O make my heart thy throne:
It shall be thine, my Saviour,
It shall be thine alone.

O come and reign, Lord Jesus,
Rule over everything;
And keep me always loyal
And true to thee, my king.

SECOND READING [2 Corinthians 4]:

Therefore, since it is by God's mercy that we are engaged in this ministry, we do not lose heart. We have renounced the shameful things that one hides; we refuse to practise cunning or to falsify God's word; but by the open statement of the truth we commend ourselves to the conscience of everyone in the sight of God. And even if our gospel is veiled, it is veiled to those who are perishing. In their case the god of this world has blinded the minds of the unbelievers, to keep them from seeing the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God. For we do not proclaim ourselves; we proclaim Jesus Christ as Lord and ourselves as your slaves for Jesus' sake. For it is the God who said, 'Let light shine out of darkness', who has shone in our hearts to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ.

But we have this treasure in clay jars, so that it may be made clear that this extraordinary power belongs to God and does not come from us. We are afflicted in every way, but not crushed; perplexed, but not driven to despair; persecuted, but not forsaken; struck down, but not destroyed; always carrying in the body the death of Jesus, so that the life of Jesus may also be made visible in our bodies. For while we live, we are always being given up to death for Jesus' sake, so that the life of Jesus may be made visible in our mortal flesh. So death is at work in us, but life in you.

 But just as we have the same spirit of faith that is in accordance with scripture—'I believed, and so I spoke'—we also believe, and so we speak, because we know that the one who raised the Lord Jesus will raise us also with Jesus, and will bring us with you into his presence. Yes, everything is for your sake, so that grace, as it extends to more and more people, may increase thanksgiving, to the glory of God.

So we do not lose heart. Even though our outer nature is wasting away, our inner nature is being renewed day by day. For this slight momentary affliction is preparing us for an eternal weight of glory beyond all measure, because we look not at what can be seen but at what cannot be seen; for what can be seen is temporary, but what cannot be seen is eternal.

In your glory, Lord, protect us by the power of your name,
that we may be one as you are one.

We are in the world but not of it.

Protect us from the evil one.

Give us your word and the full measure of your joy.
Sanctify us by your truth.

May your Spirit unite us in the love and glory of Father and Son.
May we be one that the world may believe.

As you sent your Son into the world
so send us, to make your glory known.

Vast and immense God,
your actions are beyond our imagination,
the wonders of your grace are infinite:
May your Holy Spirit help us to recognize in the scriptures
certain drops of this vast ocean of your revelation,
that we may discern the multitude of ways
in which your Son Jesus Christ is present with us.
We ask this through him whose love
was revealed on the cross and beyond, Jesus Christ. Amen.

May God make safe to us each step,
May God open to us each door,
May God make clear to us each road.
May God enfold us in loving arms.Amen.

The opening prayer uses phrases from a hymn by Colin Gibson.

The closing prayer is based on a prayer from _Revised Common Lectionary
Prayers_, copyright (c) 2002 Consultation on Common Texts