OREMUS: 25 October 2009

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sat Oct 24 17:00:00 GMT 2009

OREMUS for Sunday, October 25, 2009

Our help is in the name of the Lord,
who made heaven and earth.

Psalm 119:73-104

Your hands have made me and fashioned me;*
 give me understanding,
   that I may learn your commandments.
Those who fear you will be glad when they see me,*
 because I trust in your word.

I know, O Lord, that your judgements are right*
 and that in faithfulness you have afflicted me.
Let your lovingkindness be my comfort*
 as you have promised to your servant.
Let your compassion come to me, that I may live,*
 for your law is my delight.
Let the arrogant be put to shame,
   for they wrong me with lies;*
 but I will meditate on your commandments.
Let those who fear you turn to me,*
 and also those who know your decrees.
Let my heart be sound in your statutes,*
 that I may not be put to shame.

My soul has longed for your salvation;*
 I have put my hope in your word.
My eyes have failed from watching for your promise,*
 and I say, 'When will you comfort me?'
I have become like a leather flask in the smoke,*
 but I have not forgotten your statutes.
How much longer must I wait?*
 when will you give judgement

   against those who persecute me?
The proud have dug pits for me;*
 they do not keep your law.
All your commandments are true;*
 help me, for they persecute me with lies.
They had almost made an end of me on earth,*
 but I have not forsaken your commandments.
In your lovingkindness, revive me,*
 that I may keep the decrees of your mouth.
O Lord, your word is everlasting;*
 it stands firm in the heavens.
Your faithfulness remains
   from one generation to another;*
 you established the earth and it abides.
By your decree these continue to this day,*
 for all things are your servants.
If my delight had not been in your law,*
 I should have perished in my affliction.
I will never forget your commandments,*
 because by them you give me life.
I am yours; O that you would save me!*
 for I study your commandments.
Though the wicked lie in wait for me to destroy me,*
 I will apply my mind to your decrees.
I see that all things come to an end,*
 but your commandment has no bounds.

O how I love your law!*
 all the day long it is in my mind.
Your commandment has made me wiser
   than my enemies,*
 and it is always with me.
I have more understanding than all my teachers,*
 for your decrees are my study.
I am wiser than the elders,*
 because I observe your commandments.

I restrain my feet from every evil way,*
 that I may keep your word.
I do not shrink from your judgements,*
 because you yourself have taught me.
How sweet are your words to my taste!*
 they are sweeter than honey to my mouth.
Through your commandments I gain understanding;*
 therefore I hate every lying way.

READING [Matthew 9:35-38]:

 Then Jesus went about all the cities and villages, teaching in their synagogues, and proclaiming the good news of the kingdom, and curing every disease and every sickness. 36When he saw the crowds, he had compassion for them, because they were harassed and helpless, like sheep without a shepherd. 37Then he said to his disciples, ‘The harvest is plentiful, but the labourers are few; 38therefore ask the Lord of the harvest to send out labourers into his harvest.’

The Easter Anthems (from 1 Corinthians 5, Romans 6, 1 Corinthians 15)

Christ our passover has been sacrificed for us: .
so let us celebrate the feast,
not with the old leaven of corruption and wickedness: .
but with the unleavened bread of sincerity and truth.
Christ once raised from the dead dies no more: .
death has no more dominion over him.
In dying he died to sin once for all: .
in living he lives to God.
See yourselves therefore as dead to sin: .
and alive to God in Jesus Christ our Lord. Romans 6.911
Christ has been raised from the dead: .
the first fruits of those who sleep.
For as by man came death: .
by man has come also the resurrection of the dead;
for as in Adam all die: .
even so in Christ shall all be made alive.

Prayer:
Generous God, we thank you for being with us today, and
for every sign of your truth and love in Jesus Christ.
Especially we thank you for
     the gift of peace in Christ...
                   (We thank you, Lord.)
     reconciliation in our relationships...
     each new insight into your love...
     energy and courage to share your love...
     the ministries of the church...

Gracious God, we remember in our own hearts the needs of
others, that we may reach up to claim your love for them,
and reach out to give your love in the name of Christ.
Especially we pray for
     racial harmony and justice...
                   (Lord, hear our prayer.)
     those imprisoned...
     strangers we have met today...
     friends who are bereaved...
     Orthodox and Coptic churches...

Great God, you are one God,
and you bring together what is scattered
and mend what is broken.
Unite us with the scattered peoples of the earth
that we may be one family of your children.
Bind up all our wounds,
and heal us in spirit,
that we may be renewed as disciples
of Jesus Christ, our Master and Savior. Amen.

The grace of God be with us all, now and always. Amen.*******************************************************

The opening prayer and the closing prayer are reprinted from _Revised Common
Lectionary Prayers_, copyright (c) 2002 Consultation on Common Texts.