OREMUS: 12 October 2009

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sun Oct 11 20:30:45 GMT 2009

OREMUS for Monday, October 12, 2009
Wilfrid of Ripon, Bishop, Missionary, 709

Blessed are you, Lord of the feast,
you have prepared a table before all peoples
and poured out life with such abundance
that death cannot claim the triumph over your universe.
You call us again to your banquet
where we may may receive your holy food,
and, strengthened by what is honorable, just, and pure,
be transformed into a people of righteousness and peace.
For these and all your mercies,
we praise you: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit,

Happy are they who consider the poor and needy!*
 the Lord will deliver them in the time of trouble.
The Lord preserves them and keeps them alive,
   so that they may be happy in the land;*
 he does not hand them over to the will of their enemies.
The Lord sustains them on their sickbed*
 and ministers to them in their illness.
I said, 'Lord, be merciful to me;*
 heal me, for I have sinned against you.'
My enemies are saying wicked things about me:*
 'When will he die and his name perish?'
Even if they come to see me, they speak empty words;*
 their heart collects false rumours;
   they go outside and spread them.
All my enemies whisper together about me*
 and devise evil against me.
'A deadly thing', they say, 'has fastened on him;*
 he has taken to his bed and will never get up again.'Even my best friend, whom I trusted,
   who broke bread with me,*
 has lifted up his heel and turned against me.
But you, O Lord, be merciful to me and raise me up,*
 and I shall repay them.
By this I know you are pleased with me,*
 that my enemy does not triumph over me.
In my integrity you hold me fast,*
 and shall set me before your face for ever.
Blessed be the Lord God of Israel,*
 from age to age. Amen. Amen.

A Song of the Blessed (Matthew 5.310)

Blessed are the poor in spirit,
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
Blessed are those who mourn,
for they shall be comforted.
Blessed are the meek,
for they shall inherit the earth.
Blessed are those who hunger
and thirst after righteousness,
for they shall be satisfied.
Blessed are the merciful,
for they shall obtain mercy.
Blessed are the pure in heart,
for they shall see God.
Blessed are the peacemakers,
for they shall be called children of God.
Blessed are those who suffer persecution
for righteousness( sake,
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
Rejoice and be glad
for you are the light of the world,
and great is your reward in heaven.

FIRST READING [Job 12:13-22]:

With God are wisdom and strength;
   he has counsel and understanding.
If he tears down, no one can rebuild;
   if he shuts someone in, no one can open up.
If he withholds the waters, they dry up;
   if he sends them out, they overwhelm the land.
With him are strength and wisdom;
   the deceived and the deceiver are his.
He leads counsellors away stripped,
   and makes fools of judges.
He looses the sash of kings,
   and binds a waistcloth on their loins.
He leads priests away stripped,
   and overthrows the mighty.
He deprives of speech those who are trusted,
   and takes away the discernment of the elders.
He pours contempt on princes,
   and looses the belt of the strong.
He uncovers the deeps out of darkness,
   and brings deep darkness to light.

HYMN
Words: William Bright (1824-1901)
Tune: Unde et memores

And now, O Father, mindful of the love
that bought us, once for all, on Calvary's tree,
and having with us him that pleads above,
we here present, we here spread forth to thee
that only offering perfect in thine eyes,
the one true, pure, immortal sacrifice.

Look, Father, look on his anointed face,
and only look on us as found in him;
look not on our misusings of thy grace,
our prayer so languid, and our faith so dim:
for lo, between our sins and their reward
we set the Passion of thy Son our Lord.

And then for those, our dearest and our best,
by this prevailing presence we appeal:
O fold them closer to thy mercy's breast,
O do thine utmost for their souls' true weal;
from tainting mischief keep them white and clear,
and crown thy gifts with strength to persevere.

And so we come: O draw us to thy feet,
most patient Saviour, who canst love us still;
and by this food, so aweful and so sweet,
deliver us from every touch of ill:
in thine own service make us glad and free,
and grant us never more to part with thee.

SECOND READING [James 1:12-21]:

Blessed is anyone who endures temptation. Such a one has stood the test and will receive the crown of life that the Lord has promised to those who love him. No one, when tempted, should say, ‘I am being tempted by God’; for God cannot be tempted by evil and he himself tempts no one. But one is tempted by one’s own desire, being lured and enticed by it; then, when that desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin, and that sin, when it is fully grown, gives birth to death. Do not be deceived, my beloved.

Every generous act of giving, with every perfect gift, is from above, coming down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change. In fulfilment of his own purpose he gave us birth by the word of truth, so that we would become a kind of first fruits of his creatures.

You must understand this, my beloved: let everyone be quick to listen, slow to speak, slow to anger; for your anger does not produce God’s righteousness. Therefore rid yourselves of all sordidness and rank growth of wickedness, and welcome with meekness the implanted word that has the power to save your souls.

Creator and Sustainer of life, God,

who ever calls us back
to his ways of justice and peace:
we thank you for the gift of the land,
for its beauty, and its resources,
and the rich heritage we enjoy.
Merciful, mighty God:
hear our prayer.

And so we pray:
for those who make decisions about our land and its resources;
for those who work on the land and sea,
in our cities, and in commerce and industry;
for artists, scientists, politicians, and visionaries.
Merciful, mighty God:
hear our prayer.

We thank you for giving us life, and for giving us our life together.
We pray for all who through their own or others( actions
are deprived of fullness of life;
for all who know sickness, disability, and an untimely death;
for all who devote their lives to ministering to the needs of others.
Merciful, mighty God:
hear our prayer.

Give us reverence for life in this, your created world.
May we reflect the goodness of your creation
in the society we create with and for one another.
Merciful, mighty God:
hear our prayer.

Heavenly Father,
whose Son suffered denial and betrayal of trust
from those who shared his bread:
raise us up, O Lord,
and prevent us in the time of trial
from falling away from you;

who called our forebears to the light of the gospel
by the preaching of your servant Wilfrid:
help us, who keep his life and labour in remembrance,
to glorify your name by following the example
of his zeal and perseverance;

May we be mindful of God's call to holiness
and be clothed in the practice of good works,
that we may come to God's banquet prepared
to feast with the whole world.Amen.

The opening prayer and the closing prayer are reprinted from _Revised Common
Lectionary Prayers_, copyright (c) 2002 Consultation on Common Texts.

Wilfred was born around 634 in Northumbria, and was educated for a while at
the island monastery of Lindisfarne, after which he went south to London,
where he became an enthusiastic supporter of Roman liturgical customs, as
contrasted with the traditional Celtic customs that were prevalent in the North
and in other areas that had been evangelised by Celtic rather than Roman
missionaries. The two questions that were nominally in dispute were (1) the
method of calculating the date of Easter, and (2) the method of tonsuring a
monk (i.e. which areas of the head ought to be shaved). As often happens,
these were probably stand-ins for other questions less easily articulated. In
about 654, Wilfred left England for Rome (stopping for a year in Lyons,
France) and then returned (stopping for three years in Lyons), arriving in
England in about 660. He was made abbot of Ripon in Northumbria, and
imposed the Roman rules there. In 664 a conference was held (the Synod of
Whitby) to settle the usages controversy, and the Roman party triumphed,
thanks in large part to the leadership of Wilfrid. He was appointed Bishop of
York by Alcfrid, sub-king of Deira (a division of Northumbria), but was
unwilling to be consecrated by bishops of the Celtic tradition, and so went over
to France to be consecrated, and was gone for two years. On his return, he
found that King Oswy of Northumbria had appointed Chad (see 2 March 672)
as bishop of York. Wilfrid returned quietly to Ripon. But in 669 the new
Archbishop of Canterbury, Theodore (see 19 September 690), declared that
Wilfrid was rightful bishop of York. Chad quietly withrew, and Wilfrid was
installed at York. For the next few years, Wilfrid enjoyed peace and prosperity,
stood high in the favor of King Efrith of Northumbria, and was undisputed
bishop of a diocese that included the entire kingdom of Northumbria, with his
cathedral at York. But there was trouble ahead. The queen wanted to leave her
husband and become a nun, and Wilfrid encouraged her in this. After she had
left (in 672), the king was not as cordial to Wilfrid as he had been, and in 678,
Archbishop Theodore, acting in close concert with the king, divided the
Diocese of York into four smaller dioceses, and appointed new bishops for
three of them, leaving Wilfrid with the fourth, which did not include the city of
York. Wilfrid decided to appeal to the pope. On his way to Rome, he spent a
year preaching in Frisia, and so was the beginning of the movement by
Christian Anglo-Saxons in Britain to convert their relatives on the Continent.
The pope eventually sided with Wilfrid, but the ruling was not accepted in
England, and Wilfrid was banished from Northumbria. He went to Sussex, the
last center of Anglo-Saxon paganism in England, and preached there. When he
arrived, there had been no rain for many months, the crops were ruined, and
the people were starving. Wilfrid showed them how to construct fishnets for
ocean fishing, and so saved the lives of many. They listened to his preaching
with favorable presuppositions, and soon a large number of them were ready
for baptism. On the day that he baptized them, it rained. He remained in Sussex
for five years, preaching with great success.
Eventually he was reconciled with Archbishop Theodore, and returned to
Northumbria, where he was again given a bishopric. He served there a bishop
for five peaceful years, but then a royal council found him unfit; he was
deposed again, appealed to Rome again, and ended up bishop of the small
diocese of Hexham, with jurisdiction over the various monasteries that he had
founded. In his will, he bequeathed his money to four causes: (1) to various
Roman congregations; (2) to the poor; (3) to the clergy who had followed him
into exile; and (4) to the abbots of the various monasteries under his
jurisdiction, "so that they could purchase the friendship of kings and bishops."
He died 12 October 709. [James Kiefer]