OREMUS: 30 November 2009

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sun Nov 29 23:49:46 GMT 2009

OREMUS for Monday, November 30, 2009
Saint Andrew the Apostle

Blessed are you, loving God,
for the witness of your apostle Andrew,
who by his preaching of the Christ, your Son
and by his martyrdom
shared in the suffering and the glory
of all those called by Christ as his followers.

http://www.oremus.org/advocant.html

Psalm 144

Blessed be the Lord my rock!*
 who trains my hands to fight and my fingers to battle;
My help and my fortress,
   my stronghold and my deliverer,*
 my shield in whom I trust,
   who subdues the peoples under me.
O Lord, what are we that you should care for us?*
 mere mortals that you should think of us?
We are like a puff of wind;*
 our days are like a passing shadow.
Bow your heavens, O Lord, and come down;*
 touch the mountains and they shall smoke.
Hurl the lightning and scatter them;*
 shoot out your arrows and rout them.
Stretch out your hand from on high;*
 rescue me and deliver me from the great waters,
   from the hand of foreign peoples,
Whose mouths speak deceitfully*
 and whose right hand is raised in falsehood.
O God, I will sing to you a new song;*

 I will play to you on a tenstringed lyre.
You give victory to kings*
 and have rescued David your servant.
Rescue me from the hurtful sword*
 and deliver me from the hand of foreign peoples,
Whose mouths speak deceitfully*
 and whose right hand is raised in falsehood.
May our sons be like plants
   well nurtured from their youth,*
 and our daughters like sculptured corners of a palace.
May our barns be filled to overflowing*
 with all manner of crops;
May the flocks in our pastures
   increase by thousands and tens of thousands;*
 may our cattle be fat and sleek.
May there be no breaching of the walls,
   no going into exile,*
 no wailing in the public squares.
Happy are the people of whom this is so!*
 happy are the people whose God is the Lord!

Psalm 145

I will exalt you, O God my King,*
 and bless your name for ever and ever.
Every day will I bless you*
 and praise your name for ever and ever.
Great is the Lord and greatly to be praised;*
 there is no end to his greatness.
One generation shall praise your works to another*
 and shall declare your power.
I will ponder the glorious splendour of your majesty*
 and all your marvellous works.
They shall speak of the might of your wondrous acts,*
 and I will tell of your greatness.
They shall publish the remembrance
   of your great goodness;*
 they shall sing of your righteous deeds.
The Lord is gracious and full of compassion,*
 slow to anger and of great kindness.
The Lord is loving to everyone*
 and his compassion is over all his works.
All your works praise you, O Lord,*
 and your faithful servants bless you.
They make known the glory of your kingdom*
 and speak of your power;
That the peoples may know of your power*
 and the glorious splendour of your kingdom.
Your kingdom is an everlasting kingdom;*
 your dominion endures throughout all ages.
The Lord is faithful in all his words*
 and merciful in all his deeds.
The Lord upholds all those who fall;*
 he lifts up those who are bowed down.
The eyes of all wait upon you, O Lord,*
 and you give them their food in due season.
You open wide your hand*
 and satisfy the needs of every living creature.
The Lord is righteous in all his ways*
 and loving in all his works.
The Lord is near to those who call upon him,*
 to all who call upon him faithfully.
He fulfils the desire of those who fear him,*
 he hears their cry and helps them.
The Lord preserves all those who love him,*
 but he destroys all the wicked.
My mouth shall speak the praise of the Lord;*
 let all flesh bless his holy name for ever and ever.

FIRST READING [Ezekiel 47:1-12]:

Then he brought me back to the entrance of the temple; there, water was flowing
from below the threshold of the temple towards the east (for the temple faced
east); and the water was flowing down from below the south end of the threshold
of the temple, south of the altar. Then he brought me out by way of the north gate,
and led me round on the outside to the outer gate that faces towards the east; and
the water was coming out on the south side.
Going on eastwards with a cord in his hand, the man measured one thousand
cubits, and then led me through the water; and it was ankle-deep. Again he
measured one thousand, and led me through the water; and it was knee-deep.
Again he measured one thousand, and led me through the water; and it was up to
the waist. Again he measured one thousand, and it was a river that I could not
cross, for the water had risen; it was deep enough to swim in, a river that could not
be crossed. He said to me, 'Mortal, have you seen this?'
Then he led me back along the bank of the river. As I came back, I saw on the
bank of the river a great many trees on one side and on the other. He said to me,
'This water flows towards the eastern region and goes down into the Arabah; and
when it enters the sea, the sea of stagnant waters, the water will become fresh.
Wherever the river goes, every living creature that swarms will live, and there will
be very many fish, once these waters reach there. It will become fresh; and
everything will live where the river goes. People will stand fishing beside the sea
from En-gedi to En-eglaim; it will be a place for the spreading of nets; its fish will
be of a great many kinds, like the fish of the Great Sea. But its swamps and
marshes will not become fresh; they are to be left for salt. On the banks, on both
sides of the river, there will grow all kinds of trees for food. Their leaves will not
wither nor their fruit fail, but they will bear fresh fruit every month, because the
water for them flows from the sanctuary. Their fruit will be for food, and their
leaves for healing.'

HYMN
Words: Cecil Frances Alexander, (1818-1895) 1852
Tune: St. Andrew, St. Oswald, Restoration, Merton
<a
href="http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/j/j026.html">http://www.oremus.org/hymna
l/j/j026.html

Jesus calls us; o'er the tumult
of our life's wild, restless sea,
day by day his clear voice soundeth,
saying, "Christian, follow me;"

as, of old, Saint Andrew heart it
by the Galilean lake,
turned from home and toil and kindred,
leaving all for his dear sake.

Jesus calls us from the worship
of the vain world's golden store;
from each idol that would keep us,
saying, "Christian, love me more."

In our joys and in our sorrows,
days of toil and hours of ease,
still he calls, in cares and pleasures,
"Christian, love me more than these."

Jesus calls us! By thy mercies,
Savior, may we hear thy call,
give our hearts to thine obedience,
serve and love thee best of all.

SECOND READING [John 1:35-42]:

The next day John again was standing with two of his
disciples, and as he watched Jesus walk by, he exclaimed,
'Look, here is the Lamb of God!' The two disciples heard
him say this, and they followed Jesus. When Jesus turned
and saw them following, he said to them, 'What are you
looking for?' They said to him, 'Rabbi' (which translated
means Teacher), 'where are you staying?' He said to them,
'Come and see.' They came and saw where he was staying,
and they remained with him that day. It was about four
o'clock in the afternoon. One of the two who heard John
speak and followed him was Andrew, Simon Peter's brother.
He first found his brother Simon and said to him, 'We
have found the Messiah' (which is translated Anointed).
He brought Simon to Jesus, who looked at him and said,
'You are Simon son of John. You are to be called Cephas'
(which is translated Peter).

Encouraged by our fellowship with all the saints,
let us make our prayers to the Father through our Lord
Jesus Christ.

Father, your Son called men and women to leave the
past behind them and to follow him as his disciples in
the way of the cross.  Look with mercy upon those whom he
has called today, marked with the cross and made his
disciples within the Church...
     Lord have mercy.
     Christ have mercy.

Your Son told his disciples not to be afraid, and at
Easter breathed on them his gift of peace.  Look with
mercy upon the world into which he sent them out, and
give it that peace for which it longs
     Lord have mercy.
     Christ have mercy.

Your Son formed around him a company who were no
longer servants but friends, and he called all those who
obeyed him his brother and sister and mother.  Look with
mercy upon our families and friends and upon the
communities in which we share
     Lord have mercy.
     Christ have mercy.

Your Son sent out disciples to preach and to heal the
sick.  Look with mercy on all those who yearn to hear the
good news of salvation, and renew among your people the
gifts of healing
     Lord have mercy.
     Christ have mercy.

Your Son promised to those who followed him that they
would sit on thrones judging the twelve tribes of Israel
and would share the banquet of the kingdom.  According to
your promise, look with mercy on those who have walked
with Christ in this life and now have passed through
death
     Lord have mercy.
     Christ have mercy.

Almighty God,
who gave such grace to your apostle Saint Andrew
that he readily obeyed the call of your Son Jesus Christ
and brought his brother with him
call us by your holy Word,
and give us grace to follow you without delay
and to tell the good news of your kingdom;

Awaiting his coming in glory,

O Son of God, our Savior,
today we await your coming,
and tomorrow we shall see your glory.
Reveal the good news to all of us
who long for your arrival.
Come, Love incarnate, do not delay.
Come, Lord Jesus! Amen.

_Common Worship: Services and Prayers for the Church of England_, material from which is included in this service is copyright
(c) The Archbishops' Council, 2000.

_Chalice Worship_, (c) Chalice Press, 1997. Reproduced with
permission.

Most references to Andrew in the New Testament simply include him on a list
of the Twelve Apostles, or group him with his brother, Simon Peter. But he
appears acting as an individual three times in the Gospel of John. When a
number of Greeks (perhaps simply Greek-speeking Jews) wish to speak with
Jesus, they approach Philip, who tells Andrew, and the two of them tell Jesus
(Jn 12:20-22). (It may be relevant here that both "Philip" and "Andrew" are
Greek names.) Before Jesus feeds the Five Thousand, it is Andrew who says,
"Here is a lad with five barley loaves and two fish." (Jn 6:8f) And the first two
disciples whom John reports as attaching themselves to Jesus (Jn 1:35-42) are
Andrew and another disciple (whom John does not name, but who is
commonly supposed to be John himself -- John never mentions himself by
name, a widespread literary convention). Having met Jesus, Andrew then finds
his brother Simon and brings him to Jesus. Thus, on each occasion when he is
mentioned as an individual, it is because he is instrumental in bringing others to
meet the Saviour. In the Episcopal Church, the Fellowship of Saint Andrew is
devoted to encouraging personal evangelism, and the bringing of one's friends
and colleagues to a knowledge of the Gospel of Christ.
Just as Andrew was the first of the Apostles, so his feast is taken in the West to
be the beginning of the Church Year. The First Sunday of Advent is defined to
be the Sunday on or nearest his feast.
Several centuries after the death of Andrew, some of his relics were brought by
a missionary named Rule to Scotland, to a place then known as Fife, but now
known as St. Andrew's, and best known as the site of a world-famous golf
course and club. For this reason, Andrew is the patron of Scotland. [James
Kiefer, abridged]