OREMUS: 28 November 2009

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Fri Nov 27 20:26:42 GMT 2009

OREMUS for Saturday, November 28, 2009

Blessed are you, God our Father,
for with the oil of gladness
you have anointed Christ the Lord, your only Son,
to be our great high priest and king of all creation.
As priest, he offered himself once for all upon the altar of the cross
and redeemed the human race by this perfect sacrifice of peace.
As king he claims dominion over all your creatures,
that he may bring before your infinite majesty
a kingdom of truth and life,
a kingdom of holiness and grace,
a kingdom of justice, love and peace.

Lord, remember David*
 and all the hardships he endured;
How he swore an oath to the Lord*
 and vowed a vow to the Mighty One of Jacob:
'I will not come under the roof of my house,*
 nor climb up into my bed;
'I will not allow my eyes to sleep,*
 nor let my eyelids slumber;
'Until I find a place for the Lord,*
 a dwelling for the Mighty One of Jacob.'
'The Ark! We heard it was in Ephrathah;*
 we found it in the fields of Jearim.
'Let us go to God's dwelling place;*
 let us fall upon our knees before his footstool.'
Arise, O Lord, into your restingplace,*
 you and the ark of your strength.
Let your priests be clothed with righteousness;*
 let your faithful people sing with joy.
For your servant David's sake,*
 do not turn away the face of your anointed.
The Lord has sworn an oath to David;*
 in truth, he will not break it:
'A son, the fruit of your body*
 will I set upon your throne.
'If your children keep my covenant
   and my testimonies that I shall teach them,*
 their children will sit upon your throne for evermore.'
For the Lord has chosen Zion,*
 he has desired her for his habitation:
'This shall be my restingplace for ever;*
 here will I dwell, for I delight in her.
'I will surely bless her provisions,*
 and satisfy her poor with bread.
'I will clothe her priests with salvation,*
 and her faithful people will rejoice and sing.
'There will I make the horn of David flourish;*
 I have prepared a lamp for my anointed.
As for his enemies, I will clothe them with shame;*
 but as for him, his crown will shine.(

Psalm 133

O how good and pleasant it is,*
 when a family lives together in unity!
It is like fine oil upon the head*
 that runs down upon the beard,
Upon the beard of Aaron,*
 and runs down upon the collar of his robe.
It is like the dew of Hermon*
 that falls upon the hills of Zion.
For there the Lord has ordained the blessing:*
 life for evermore.

Psalm 134

Behold now, bless the Lord,
   all you servants of the Lord,*
 you that stand by night in the house of the Lord.
Lift up your hands in the holy place
   and bless the Lord;*
 the Lord who made heaven and earth
   bless you out of Zion.

Psalm 135

Alleluia!  Praise the name of the Lord;*
 give praise, you servants of the Lord,
You who stand in the house of the Lord,*
 in the courts of the house of our God.
Praise the Lord, for the Lord is good;*
 sing praises to his name, for it is lovely.
For the Lord has chosen Jacob for himself*
 and Israel for his own possession.
For I know that the Lord is great,*
 and that our Lord is above all gods.
The Lord does whatever pleases him,
   in heaven and on earth,*
 in the seas and all the deeps.
He brings up rain clouds from the ends of the earth;*
 he sends out lightning with the rain,
   and brings the winds out of his storehouse.
It was he who struck down the firstborn of Egypt,*
 the firstborn both of human and beast.
He sent signs and wonders
   into the midst of you, O Egypt,*
 against Pharaoh and all his servants.
He overthrew many nations*
 and put mighty kings to death:
Sihon, king of the Amorites,
   and Og, the king of Bashan,*
 and all the kingdoms of Canaan.
He gave their land to be an inheritance,*
 an inheritance for Israel his people.
O Lord, your name is everlasting;*
 your renown, O Lord, endures from age to age.
For the Lord gives his people justice*
 and shows compassion to his servants.
The idols of the heathen are silver and gold,*
 the work of human hands.
They have mouths, but they cannot speak;*
 eyes have they, but they cannot see.
They have ears, but they cannot hear;*
 neither is there any breath in their mouth.
Those who make them are like them,*
 and so are all who put their trust in them.
Bless the Lord, O house of Israel;*
 O house of Aaron, bless the Lord.

Bless the Lord, O house of Levi;*
 you who fear the Lord, bless the Lord.
Blessed be the Lord out of Zion,*
 who dwells in Jerusalem. Alleluia!

FIRST READING [Wisdom 13:1-9]:

For all people who were ignorant of God were foolish by nature;
and they were unable from the good things that are seen to know the one who exists,
nor did they recognize the artisan while paying heed to his works;
but they supposed that either fire or wind or swift air,
or the circle of the stars, or turbulent water,
or the luminaries of heaven were the gods that rule the world.
If through delight in the beauty of these things people assumed them to be gods,
let them know how much better than these is their Lord,
for the author of beauty created them.
And if people were amazed at their power and working,
let them perceive from them
how much more powerful is the one who formed them.
For from the greatness and beauty of created things
comes a corresponding perception of their Creator.
Yet these people are little to be blamed,
for perhaps they go astray
while seeking God and desiring to find him.
For while they live among his works, they keep searching,
and they trust in what they see, because the things that are seen are beautiful.
Yet again, not even they are to be excused;
for if they had the power to know so much
that they could investigate the world,
how did they fail to find sooner the Lord of these things?

HYMN
Words: Horatius Bonar (1808-1889)
Tune: Leominster

A few more years shall roll,
A few more seasons come,
And we shall be as those that rest
Asleep within the tomb.
Then, O my Lord, prepare
My soul for that great day;
Oh, wash me in Thy precious blood
And take my sins away.

A few more suns shall set
O'er these dark hills of time,
And we shall be where suns are not
A far serener clime.
Then, O my Lord, prepare
My soul for that bright day;
Oh, wash me in Thy precious blood
And take my sins away.

A few more storms shall beat
On this wild rocky shore,
And we shall be where tempests cease,
And surges swell no more.
Then, O my Lord, prepare
My soul for that calm day;
Oh, wash me in Thy precious blood
And take my sins away.

A few more struggles here,
A few more partings o'er,
A few more toils, a few more tears,
And we shall weep no more.
Then, O my Lord, prepare
My soul for that blest day;
Oh, wash me in Thy precious blood
And take my sins away.

'Tis but a little while
And He shall come again,
Who died that we might live-who lives
That we with Him may reign:
Then, O my Lord, prepare
My soul for that glad day;
Oh, wash me in Thy precious blood
And take my sins away.

SECOND READING [2 Peter 3:11-end]:

Since all these things are to be dissolved in this way, what sort of people ought you to be in leading lives of holiness and godliness, waiting for and hastening the coming of the day of God, because of which the heavens will be set ablaze and dissolved, and the elements will melt with fire? But, in accordance with his promise, we wait for new heavens and a new earth, where righteousness is at home.

Therefore, beloved, while you are waiting for these things, strive to be found by him at peace, without spot or blemish; and regard the patience of our Lord as salvation. So also our beloved brother Paul wrote to you according to the wisdom given to him, speaking of this as he does in all his letters. There are some things in them hard to understand, which the ignorant and unstable twist to their own destruction, as they do the other scriptures. You therefore, beloved, since you are forewarned, beware that you are not carried away with the error of the lawless and lose your own stability. But grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. To him be the glory both now and to the day of eternity. Amen.

United in the company of all the faithful
and looking for the coming of the kingdom,
let us offer our prayers to God, the source of all life and holiness.

Merciful Lord,
strengthen all Christian people by your Holy Spirit
that we may live as a royal priesthood
and a holy nation to the praise of Christ Jesus our Saviour.
Lord, have mercy.

Bless N our bishop, and all ministers of your Church,
that by faithful proclamation of your word we may be built
on the foundation of the apostles and prophets
into a holy temple in the Lord.
Lord, have mercy.

Empower us by the gift of your Holy and Lifegiving Spirit
that we may be transformed into the likeness of Christ
from glory to glory.
Lord, have mercy.

Give to the world and its peoples the peace
that comes from above, that they may find Christ's way of freedom and life.
Lord, have mercy.

Hold in your embrace all who witness to your love
in the service of the poor and needy;
all those who minister to the sick and dying;
and all who bring light to those in darkness.
Lord, have mercy.

Touch and heal all those whose lives are scarred by sin
or disfigured by pain, that, raised from death to life in Christ,
their sorrow may be turned to eternal joy.
Lord, have mercy.

Remember in your mercy those gone before us
who have been wellpleasing to you from eternity;
preserve us who live here in your faith,
guide us to your kingdom,
and grant us your peace at all times.
Lord, have mercy.

Hasten the day when those who fear you in every nation
will come from east and west, from north and south,

and sit at table in your kingdom.
Lord, have mercy.

And so we give you thanks for the whole company
of your saints in glory,
with whom in fellowship we join our prayers and praises;
by your grace may we, like them, be made perfect in your love.
Blessing and glory and wisdom,
thanksgiving and honour and power,
be to our God for ever and ever. Amen.

Jesus, Son of David, Mighty One of God,
you have called us to be priests of the new covenant:
clothe us with righteousness,
make us faithful
and give us hearts to shout for joy
   in your salvation.
To you be glory for ever! Amen.

May Christ our King make us faithful and strong to do his will,
that we may reign with him in glory; Amen.

_Common Worship: Services and Prayers for the Church of England_, material from which is included in this service is copyright
(c) The Archbishops' Council, 2000.