OREMUS: 18 November 2009

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Tue Nov 17 21:34:31 GMT 2009

OREMUS for Wednesday, November 18, 2009
Elizabeth of Hungary, Princess of Thuringia, Philanthropist, 1231
Sixteenth Anniversary of Oremus, First Day of Posting, 1993

Blessed are you, O God of all gods.
that you gave your beloved Son
in covenant for us.
He lived as we must live;
he died as we must die.
You raised him from death's dark domain,
and set us free to live for ever.
He speaks for us before your throne,
and brings us grace to help in time of need.

Lord, you have been our refuge*
 from one generation to another.
Before the mountains were brought forth,
   or the land and the earth were born,*
 from age to age you are God.
You turn us back to the dust and say,*
 'Go back, O child of earth.'
For a thousand years in your sight
   are like yesterday when it is past*
 and like a watch in the night.
You sweep us away like a dream;*
 we fade away suddenly like the grass.
In the morning it is green and flourishes;*
 in the evening it is dried up and withered.
For we consume away in your displeasure;*
 we are afraid because of your wrathful indignation.
Our iniquities you have set before you,*
 and our secret sins in the light of your countenance.
When you are angry, all our days are gone;*
 we bring our years to an end like a sigh.
The span of our life is seventy years,
   perhaps in strength even eighty;*
 yet the sum of them is but labour and sorrow,
   for they pass away quickly and we are gone.
Who regards the power of your wrath?*
 who rightly fears your indignation?
So teach us to number our days*
 that we may apply our hearts to wisdom.
Return, O Lord; how long will you tarry?*
 be gracious to your servants.
Satisfy us by your lovingkindness in the morning;*
 so shall we rejoice and be glad all the days of our life.
Make us glad by the measure of the days
   that you afflicted us*
 and the years in which we suffered adversity.
Show your servants your works*
 and your splendour to their children.
May the graciousness of the Lord our God be upon us;*
 prosper the work of our hands;
   prosper our handiwork.

Psalm 91

He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High,*
 abides under the shadow of the Almighty.
He shall say to the Lord,
   'You are my refuge and my stronghold,*
 my God in whom I put my trust.'
He shall deliver you from the snare of the hunter*
 and from the deadly pestilence.
He shall cover you with his pinions,
   and you shall find refuge under his wings;*
 his faithfulness shall be a shield and buckler.
You shall not be afraid of any terror by night,*
 nor of the arrow that flies by day;
Of the plague that stalks in the darkness,*
 nor of the sickness that lays waste at midday.
A thousand shall fall at your side
   and ten thousand at your right hand,*
 but it shall not come near you.
Your eyes have only to behold*
 to see the reward of the wicked.
Because you have made the Lord your refuge,*
 and the Most High your habitation.
There shall no evil happen to you,*
 neither shall any plague come near your dwelling.
For he shall give his angels charge over you,*
 to keep you in all your ways.
They shall bear you in their hands,*
 lest you dash your foot against a stone.
You shall tread upon the lion and adder;*
 you shall trample the young lion and the serpent
   under your feet.
Because he is bound to me in love,
   therefore will I deliver him;*
 I will protect him, because he knows my name.
He shall call upon me and I will answer him;*
 I am with him in trouble,
   I will rescue him and bring him to honour.
With long life will I satisfy him,*
 and show him my salvation.

Psalm 92

It is a good thing to give thanks to the Lord,*
 and to sing praises to your name, O Most High;
To tell of your lovingkindness early in the morning*
 and of your faithfulness in the night season;
On the psaltery and on the lyre*
 and to the melody of the harp.
For you have made me glad by your acts, O Lord;*
 and I shout for joy because of the works of your hands.
Lord, how great are your works!*
 your thoughts are very deep.
The dullard does not know,
   nor does the fool understand,*
 that though the wicked grow like weeds,
   and all the workers of iniquity flourish,
They flourish only to be destroyed for ever;*
 but you, O Lord, are exalted for evermore.
For lo, your enemies, O Lord,
   lo, your enemies shall perish,*
 and all the workers of iniquity shall be scattered.
But my horn you have exalted
   like the horns of wild bulls;*
 I am anointed with fresh oil.
My eyes also gloat over my enemies,*
 and my ears rejoice to hear the doom of the wicked
   who rise up against me.
The righteous shall flourish like a palm tree,*
 and shall spread abroad like a cedar of Lebanon.
Those who are planted in the house of the Lord*
 shall flourish in the courts of our God;
They shall still bear fruit in old age;*
 they shall be green and succulent;
That they may show how upright the Lord is,*
 my rock, in whom there is no fault.

FIRST READING [Wisdom 6:12-21]:

Wisdom is radiant and unfading,
and she is easily discerned by those who love her,
and is found by those who seek her.
She hastens to make herself known to those who desire her.
One who rises early to seek her will have no difficulty,
for she will be found sitting at the gate.
To fix one’s thought on her is perfect understanding,
and one who is vigilant on her account will soon be free from care,
because she goes about seeking those worthy of her,
and she graciously appears to them in their paths,
and meets them in every thought.

The beginning of wisdom is the most sincere desire for instruction,
and concern for instruction is love of her,
and love of her is the keeping of her laws,
and giving heed to her laws is assurance of immortality,
and immortality brings one near to God;
so the desire for wisdom leads to a kingdom.

Therefore if you delight in thrones and sceptres, O monarchs over the peoples,
honour wisdom, so that you may reign for ever.

HYMN
Words: John Greenleaf Whittier (1807-1892)
Tune: Albano, St Hugh, Walsall, Tallis Ordinal

O Lord and Master of us all,
Whate'er our name or sign,
We own Thy sway, we hear Thy call,
We test our lives by Thine.

Thou judgest us: Thy purity
Doth all our lusts condemn;
The love that draws us nearer Thee
Is hot with wrath to them.

Our thoughts lie open to Thy sight;
And, naked to Thy glance,
Our secret sins are in the light
Of Thy pure countenance.

Yet, weak and blinded though we be,
Thou dost our service own;
We bring our varying gifts to Thee,
And Thou rejectest none.

Apart from Thee all gain is loss,
All labour vainly done;
The solemn shadow of Thy Cross
Is better than the sun.

Our Friend, our Brother, and our Lord,
What may Thy service be?
Nor name, nor form, nor ritual word,
But simply following Thee.

We faintly hear, we dimly see;
In differing phrase we pray;
But, dim or clear, we own in Thee
The Light, the Truth, the Way

SECOND READING [1 Peter 4:7-11]:

The end of all things is near; therefore be serious and discipline yourselves for the sake of your prayers. Above all, maintain constant love for one another, for love covers a multitude of sins. Be hospitable to one another without complaining. Like good stewards of the manifold grace of God, serve one another with whatever gift each of you has received. Whoever speaks must do so as one speaking the very words of God; whoever serves must do so with the strength that God supplies, so that God may be glorified in all things through Jesus Christ. To him belong the glory and the power for ever and ever. Amen.

Holy Father,
you have reconciled us to yourself in Christ;
by your Spirit
you enable us to live as your children.

We pray for personal relationships
the home, and family life....
children deprived of home....
friends, relations and neighbours....
relationships in daily life and work....
those who are estranged....
ministries of care and healing...

Holy Father, we give you thanks
for the obedience of Christ fulfilled in the cross,
his bearing of the sin of the world,
his mercy for the world, which never fails....

for the joy of human love and friendship,
the lives to which our own are bound,
the gift of peace with you and each other....

for the communities in whose life we share
and all relationships
in which reconciliation may be known....

Help us to share in Christ's ministry
and to love and serve one another in peace;
through the same Jesus Christ our Lord,
who in the unity of the Spirit
is one with you for ever. Amen.

Eternal Father,
our refuge from generation to generation,
in Christ your salvation has dawned for your people:
prosper the work of our hands
that the promise of your glorious kingdom
may be fulfilled in our midst;
through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Lord God,
who taught Elizabeth of Hungary
to recognize and reverence Christ
in the poor of this world:
by her example
strengthen us to love and serve
the afflicted and the needy
and so to honour your Son, the servant king,

Send your Holy Spirit upon your Church
that in all our words and works
we may serve you better and love you more. Amen.

The opening prayer and closing prayer are adapted from material found in Book of
Common Order, 1994, The Church of Scotland.

The numerous "St. Elizabeth's Hospitals" throughout the world are for the
most part named, not for the Biblical Elizabeth, the mother of John the Baptist,
but for this princess of Hungary. She was concerned for the relief of the poor
and the sick, and with her husband's consent she used her dowry money for
their relief. During a famine and epidemic in 1226, while her husband was away
in Italy, she sold her jewels and established a hospital where she nursed the
sick, and opened the royal granaries to feed the hungry. After her husband's
death in 1227, her inlaws, who opposed her "extravagances," expelled her from
Wartburg. Finally an arrangement was negotiated with them that gave her a
stipend. She became a Franciscan tertiary (lay associate) and devoted the
remainder of her life to nursing and charity. She sewed garments to clothe the
poor, and went fishing to feed them.

Oremus was first devised in November 1993, as a response to a question on
the ANGLICAN email list about how individuals might keep the forthcoming
Advent more effectively.
The intention was and is to make available a form of the "Daily Office",
traditional in format, sufficiently brief and relevant to be used by as many
readers as possible, and not duplicating any other form likely to be already
used by members.
Steve Benner undertook to create the Office and to post it each day, and he did
this for nearly two years, from its first appearance on Thursday, 18 November
1993, until 13 September 1995. For the next fifteen months, Simon Kershaw
compiled the Office, and from 1996-January 1998, Steve Benner and Simon
Kershaw alternated responsibility for the compilation of the Office. Steve has
continued to produce the daily office since January 1998; Simon has since
become responsible for programming the feed for Common Worship - Daily
Prayer (see link on our site).
Oremus serves to nourish each of us in our daily prayer and bible reading; to
introduce more people to the tradition of the Daily Office; to strengthen the
sense of community of the group by the knowledge that our fellow members
are using the same form of prayer, and by our prayers for one another; to
strengthen our Anglican identity in our prayers for the Anglican Communion;
and to greaten our Christian love in our prayers for our fellow Christians and
for all people. While we do this work as a volunteer effort, it requires your support to help keep it going. Please consider making a donation in support by going to our website.