OREMUS: 14 November 2009

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Fri Nov 13 17:00:01 GMT 2009

OREMUS for Saturday, November 14, 2009
Samuel Seabury, First Bishop of the Protestant Episcopal Church in the USA, 1796

Blessed are you, O God.
for all the saints
who have gone before us,
who have spoken to our hearts,
and have touched us with your fire.
Blessed are you, O God,
for all the saints
who live beside us,
whose weakness and strengths
are woven with our own.
Blessed are you, O God,
who live beyond us,
who challenge us
to change the world with them.

In you, O Lord, have I taken refuge;*
 let me never be ashamed.
In your righteousness, deliver me and set me free;*
 incline your ear to me and save me.
Be my strong rock, a castle to keep me safe;*
 you are my crag and my stronghold.
Deliver me, my God, from the hand of the wicked,*
 from the clutches of the evildoer and the oppressor.
For you are my hope, O Lord God,*
 my confidence since I was young.
I have been sustained by you ever since I was born;
   from my mother's womb you have been my strength;*
 my praise shall be always of you.
I have become a portent to many;*
 but you are my refuge and my strength.
Let my mouth be full of your praise*
 and your glory all the day long.
Do not cast me off in my old age;*
 forsake me not when my strength fails.
For my enemies are talking against me,*
 and those who lie in wait for my life
   take counsel together.
They say, 'God has forsaken him;
   go after him and seize him;*
 because there is none who will save.'
O God, be not far from me;*
 come quickly to help me, O my God.
Let those who set themselves against me
   be put to shame and be disgraced;*
 let those who seek to do me evil
   be covered with scorn and reproach.
But I shall always wait in patience,*
 and shall praise you more and more.
My mouth shall recount your mighty acts
   and saving deeds all day long;*
 though I cannot know the number of them.
I will begin with the mighty works of the Lord God;*
 I will recall your righteousness, yours alone.
O God, you have taught me since I was young,*
 and to this day I tell of your wonderful works.
And now that I am old and greyheaded, O God,
   do not forsake me,*

 till I make known your strength to this generation
   and your power to all who are to come.
Your righteousness, O God, reaches to the heavens;*
 you have done great things; who is like you, O God?
You have showed me great troubles and adversities,*
 but you will restore my life and bring me up again
   from the deep places of the earth.
You strengthen me more and more;*
 you enfold and comfort me,
Therefore I will praise you upon the lyre
   for your faithfulness, O my God;*
 I will sing to you with the harp, O Holy One of Israel.
My lips will sing with joy when I play to you,*
 and so will my soul, which you have redeemed.
My tongue will proclaim your righteousness all day long,*
 for they are ashamed and disgraced
   who sought to do me harm.

Psalm 72

Give the king your justice, O God,*
 and your righteousness to the king's son;
That he may rule your people righteously*
 and the poor with justice;
That the mountains may bring prosperity to the people,*
 and the little hills bring righteousness.
He shall defend the needy among the people;*
 he shall rescue the poor and crush the oppressor.
He shall live as long as the sun and moon endure,*
 from one generation to another.
He shall come down like rain upon the mown field,*
 like showers that water the earth.
In his time shall the righteous flourish;*
 there shall be abundance of peace
   till the moon shall be no more.
He shall rule from sea to sea,*
 and from the River to the ends of the earth.
His foes shall bow down before him,*
 and his enemies lick the dust.
The kings of Tarshish and of the isles shall pay tribute,*
 and the kings of Arabia and Saba offer gifts.
All kings shall bow down before him,*
 and all the nations do him service.
For he shall deliver the poor who cries out in distress,*
 and the oppressed who has no helper.
He shall have pity on the lowly and poor;*
 he shall preserve the lives of the needy.
He shall redeem their lives from oppression and violence,*
 and dear shall their blood be in his sight.
Long may he live,
   and may there be given to him gold from Arabia;*
 may prayer be made for him always,
   and may they bless him all the day long.
May there be abundance of grain on the earth,
   growing thick even on the hilltops;*
 may its fruit flourish like Lebanon,
   and its grain like grass upon the earth.
May his name remain for ever
   and be established as long as the sun endures;*
 may all the nations bless themselves in him
   and call him blessed.
Blessed be the Lord God, the God of Israel,*

 who alone does wondrous deeds!
And blessed be his glorious name for ever!*
 and may all the earth be filled with his glory.
   Amen. Amen.

FIRST READING [Deuteronomy 30:11-end]:

 Surely, this commandment that I am commanding you today is not too hard for you, nor is it too far away. 12It is not in heaven, that you should say, ‘Who will go up to heaven for us, and get it for us so that we may hear it and observe it?’ 13Neither is it beyond the sea, that you should say, ‘Who will cross to the other side of the sea for us, and get it for us so that we may hear it and observe it?’ 14No, the word is very near to you; it is in your mouth and in your heart for you to observe.

15See, I have set before you today life and prosperity, death and adversity. 16If you obey the commandments of the Lord your God* that I am commanding you today, by loving the Lord your God, walking in his ways, and observing his commandments, decrees, and ordinances, then you shall live and become numerous, and the Lord your God will bless you in the land that you are entering to possess. 17But if your heart turns away and you do not hear, but are led astray to bow down to other gods and serve them, 18I declare to you today that you shall perish; you shall not live long in the land that you are crossing the Jordan to enter and possess. 19I call heaven and earth to witness against you today that I have set before you life and death, blessings and curses. Choose life so that you and your descendants may live, 20loving the Lord your God, obeying him, and holding fast to him; for that means life to you and length of days, so that you may live in the land that the Lord swore to give to your ancestors, to Abraham, to Isaac, and to Jacob.

HYMN
Words: Fred Pratt Green (c) used with permission
Tune: Dunedin, Herongate, Brockham, Illsley

The church of Christ in every age,
beset by change but Spirit-led,
must claim and test its heritage
and keep on rising from the dead.

Across the world, across the street,
the victims of injustice cry
for shelter and for bread to eat,
and never live until they die.

The let the servant church arise,
a caring church that longs to be
a partner in Christ's sacrifice,
and clothed in Christ's humanity.

For he alone, whose blood was shed,
can cure the fever in our blood,
and teach us how to share our bread
and feed the starving multitude.

We have no mission but to serve
in full obedience to our Lord:
to care for all, without reserve,
and spread his liberating word.

SECOND READING [1 Peter 3:1-12]:

Wives, in the same way, accept the authority of your husbands, so that, even if some of them do not obey the word, they may be won over without a word by their wives’ conduct, when they see the purity and reverence of your lives. Do not adorn yourselves outwardly by braiding your hair, and by wearing gold ornaments or fine clothing; rather, let your adornment be the inner self with the lasting beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is very precious in God’s sight. It was in this way long ago that the holy women who hoped in God used to adorn themselves by accepting the authority of their husbands. Thus Sarah obeyed Abraham and called him lord. You have become her daughters as long as you do what is good and never let fears alarm you.

Husbands, in the same way, show consideration for your wives in your life together, paying honour to the woman as the weaker sex, since they too are also heirs of the gracious gift of life—so that nothing may hinder your prayers.

Finally, all of you, have unity of spirit, sympathy, love for one another, a tender heart, and a humble mind. Do not repay evil for evil or abuse for abuse; but, on the contrary, repay with a blessing. It is for this that you were called—that you might inherit a blessing. For
‘Those who desire life
   and desire to see good days,
let them keep their tongues from evil
   and their lips from speaking deceit;
let them turn away from evil and do good;
   let them seek peace and pursue it.
For the eyes of the Lord are on the righteous,
   and his ears are open to their prayer.
But the face of the Lord is against those who do evil.’

God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob,
of apostles and prophets:
in every age you have chosen people to work for you,
by showing justice and doing mercy.
Let the Church share Christ's own work
as prophet, priest and king,
reconciling the world to your law and your love,
and telling of your mighty power.

You have called us out of the world, O God,
and chosen us to witness to the nations.
Give us your Spirit to show the way, the truth and the life
of our Savior Jesus Christ.
Give thanks to God for the Church.
We are a chosen people.

You have appointed us as a royal priesthood, O God,
to pray for people everywhere and to declare your mercy.
We pray especially for the Episcopal Church
and the Churches of the Anglican Communion.
Give us your Spirit that we may be drawn to each other in love.
Give thanks to God for the Church.
We are the household of God.

You have baptized us into one family of faith,
and named us your children,
the sisters and brothers of Jesus.
Give us your Spirit to live in peace
and serve each other gladly.
Give thanks to God for the Church.
We are a temple for your Spirit.

You have built us up, O God,
into a temple for worship.
Give us your Spirit to know that there is no other foundation for us
than Jesus Christ, our Rock and our Redeemer.
Give thanks to God for the Church.
We are a colony of heaven.

You have joined us in one body, O God,
to live for our Lord in the world.
Give us your Spirit that, working together without envy or pride,
we may serve our Lord and Head.
Give thanks to God for the Church.
We are the Body of Christ.

O God, we are your Church,
called, adopted, built up, blessed and joined to Jesus Christ.
Help us to know who we are
and in all we do to be your servants.
Give thanks to God for the Church.
And trust the Holy Spirit.

Almighty and everlasting God,
by whose Spirit the whole body of the Church
is governed and sanctified:
Receive our prayers and supplications,
which we offer before you for all people in your holy Church,
that all its members, in their vocation and ministry,
may truly and godly serve you;
through our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. Amen.

Eternal God,
who blessed your servant Samuel Seabury
with the gift of perseverance
to renew the Anglican inheritance
in the churches of North America:
grant us unity in faith, steadfastness in hope,
and constancy in love,
that we may ever be true members
of the body of your Son Jesus Christ,
who is alive and reigns with you

God beyond answers,
Lord beyond words,
Spirit beyond imagining,
move us today. Amen.

The opening prayer is adapted from a prayer by Janet Morley. The closing prayer is from the Pray Now website, http://www.churchofscotland.org.uk/worship/wpprayer9.htm
The second collect is from _For All the Saints_, (c) General
Synod of the Anglican Church of Canada, 1994.

A crucial date for members of the Episcopal Church in the United States of
America is the consecration of the first Bishop of the Anglican Communion in
the United States. During the colonial era, there had been no Anglican bishops
in the New World; and persons seeking to be ordained as clergy had had to
travel to England for the purpose. After the achievement of American
independence, it was important for the Church in the United States to have its
own bishops, and an assembly of Connecticut clergy chose Samuel Seabury to
go to England and there seek to be consecrated as a bishop.
However, the English bishops were forbidden by law to consecrate anyone
who would not take an oath of allegiance to the British Crown. He accordingly
turned to the Episcopal Church of Scotland. When the Roman Catholic king
James II was deposed in 1688, some of the Anglican clergy (including some
who had been imprisoned by James for defying him on religious issues) said
that, having sworn allegiance to James as King, they could not during his
lifetime swear allegiance to the new monarchs William and Mary. Those who
took this position were known as non-Jurors (non-swearers), and they included
almost all the bishops and clergy of the Episcopal Church in Scotland.
Accordingly, the monarchs and Parliament declared that thenceforth the official
church in Scotland should be the Presbyterian Church. The Episcopal Church
of Scotland thereafter had no recognition by the government, and for some
time operated under serious legal disablities. However, since it had no
connection with the government, it was free to consecrate Seabury without
government permission, and it did. This is why you see a Cross of St. Andrew
on the Episcopal Church flag.
In Aberdeen, 14 November 1784, Samuel Seabury was consecrated to the
Episcopate by the Bishop and the Bishop Coadjutor of Aberdeen and the
Bishop of Ross and Caithness. He thus became part of the unbroken chain of
bishops that links the Church today with the Church of the Apostles. [James Kiefer]