OREMUS: 8 November 2009

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sat Nov 7 17:00:00 GMT 2009

OREMUS for Sunday, November 8, 2009
The Third Sunday before Advent

Blessed are you, O God.
for all the saints
who have gone before us,
who have spoken to our hearts,
and have touched us with your fire.
Blessed are you, O God,
for all the saints
who live beside us,
whose weakness and strengths
are woven with our own.
Blessed are you, O God,
who live beyond us,
who challenge us
to change the world with them.

O Lord, do not rebuke me in your anger;*
 do not punish me in your wrath.
For your arrows have already pierced me,*
 and your hand presses hard upon me.
There is no health in my flesh,
   because of your indignation;*
 there is no soundness in my body, because of my sin.
For my iniquities overwhelm me;*
 like a heavy burden they are too much for me to bear.
My wounds stink and fester*
 by reason of my foolishness.
I am utterly bowed down and prostrate;*
 I go about in mourning all the day long.
My loins are filled with searing pain;*
 there is no health in my body.
I am utterly numb and crushed;*
 I wail, because of the groaning of my heart.
O Lord, you know all my desires,*
 and my sighing is not hidden from you.
My heart is pounding, my strength has failed me,*
 and the brightness of my eyes is gone from me.
My friends and companions draw back from my affliction;*
 my neighbours stand afar off.
Those who seek after my life lay snares for me;*
 those who strive to hurt me speak of my ruin
   and plot treachery all the day long.
But I am like the deaf who do not hear,*
 like those who are mute and do not open their mouth.
I have become like one who does not hear*
 and from whose mouth comes no defence.
For in you, O Lord, have I fixed my hope;*
 you will answer me, O Lord my God.
For I said, 'Do not let them rejoice at my expense,*
 those who gloat over me when my foot slips.'
Truly, I am on the verge of falling,*
 and my pain is always with me.
I will confess my iniquity*
 and be sorry for my sin.
Those who are my enemies without cause are mighty,*
 and many in number are those who wrongfully hate me.
Those who repay evil for good slander me,*
 because I follow the course that is right.
O Lord, do not forsake me;*
 be not far from me, O my God.
Make haste to help me,*
 O Lord of my salvation.

Psalm 39

I said, 'I will keep watch upon my ways,*
 so that I do not offend with my tongue.
'I will put a muzzle on my mouth*
 while the wicked are in my presence.'
So I held my tongue and said nothing;*
 I refrained from rash words;
   but my pain became unbearable.
My heart was hot within me;
   while I pondered, the fire burst into flame;*
 I spoke out with my tongue:
Lord, let me know my end and the number of my days,*
 so that I may know how short my life is.
You have given me a mere handful of days,
   and my lifetime is as nothing in your sight;*
 truly, even those who stand erect are but a puff of wind.
We walk about like a shadow
   and in vain we are in turmoil;*
 we heap up riches and cannot tell who will gather them.
And now, what is my hope?*
 O Lord, my hope is in you.
Deliver me from all my transgressions*
 and do not make me the taunt of the fool.
I fell silent and did not open my mouth,*
 for surely it was you that did it.
Take your affliction from me;*
 I am worn down by the blows of your hand.
With rebukes for sin you punish us;
   like a moth you eat away all that is dear to us;*
 truly, everyone is but a puff of wind.
Hear my prayer, O Lord, and give ear to my cry;*
 hold not your peace at my tears.
For I am but a sojourner with you,*
 a wayfarer, as all my forebears were.
Turn your gaze from me, that I may be glad again,*
 before I go my way and am no more.

Psalm 40

I waited patiently upon the Lord;*
 he stooped to me and heard my cry.
He lifted me out of the desolate pit,
   out of the mire and clay;*
 he set my feet upon a high cliff and made my footing sure.
He put a new song in my mouth,
   a song of praise to our God;*
 many shall see and stand in awe
   and put their trust in the Lord.
Happy are they who trust in the Lord!*
 they do not resort to evil spirits or turn to false gods.
Great things are they that you have done, O Lord my God!
   how great your wonders and your plans for us!*
 there is none who can be compared with you.
O that I could make them known and tell them!*
 but they are more than I can count.
In sacrifice and offering you take no pleasure*
 you have given me ears to hear you;
Burntoffering and sinoffering you have not required,*
 and so I said, 'Behold, I come.
'In the roll of the book it is written concerning me:*
 "I love to do your will, O my God;
 your law is deep in my heart."'
I proclaimed righteousness in the great congregation;*
 behold, I did not restrain my lips;
 and that, O Lord, you know.
Your righteousness have I not hidden in my heart;
   I have spoken of your faithfulness and your deliverance;*
 I have not concealed your love and faithfulness
   from the great congregation.
You are the Lord;
   do not withhold your compassion from me;*
 let your love and your faithfulness keep me safe for ever,
For innumerable troubles have crowded upon me;
   my sins have overtaken me and I cannot see;*
 they are more in number than the hairs of my head,
   and my heart fails me.
Be pleased, O Lord, to deliver me;*
 O Lord, make haste to help me.
Let them be ashamed and altogether dismayed
   who seek after my life to destroy it;*
 let them draw back and be disgraced

   who take pleasure in my misfortune.
Let those who say 'Aha!' and gloat over me be confounded,*
 because they are ashamed.
Let all who seek you rejoice in you and be glad;*
 let those who love your salvation continually say,
   'Great is the Lord!'
Though I am poor and afflicted,*
 the Lord will have regard for me.
You are my helper and my deliverer;*
 do not tarry, O my God.

FIRST READING [Joel 3:9-17]:

Proclaim this among the nations:
Prepare war,
   stir up the warriors.
Let all the soldiers draw near,
   let them come up.
Beat your ploughshares into swords,
   and your pruning-hooks into spears;
   let the weakling say, ‘I am a warrior.’

Come quickly,
   all you nations all around,
   gather yourselves there.
Bring down your warriors, O Lord.
Let the nations rouse themselves,
   and come up to the valley of Jehoshaphat;
for there I will sit to judge
   all the neighbouring nations.

Put in the sickle,
   for the harvest is ripe.
Go in, tread,
   for the wine press is full.
The vats overflow,
   for their wickedness is great.

Multitudes, multitudes,
   in the valley of decision!
For the day of the Lord is near
   in the valley of decision.
The sun and the moon are darkened,
   and the stars withdraw their shining.

The Lord roars from Zion,
   and utters his voice from Jerusalem,
   and the heavens and the earth shake.
But the Lord is a refuge for his people,
   a stronghold for the people of Israel.

So you shall know that I, the Lord your God,
   dwell in Zion, my holy mountain.
And Jerusalem shall be holy,
   and strangers shall never again pass through it.

HYMN
Words: James Montgomery (1771-1854)
Tune: Nativity, Tiverton

Sing we the song of those who stand
Around the eternal throne,
Of every kindred, clime, and land,
A multitude unknown.

Life's poor distinctions vanish here;
Today the young, the old,
Our Saviour and his flock appear,
One Shepherd and one fold.

Toil, trial, suffering still await
On earth the pilgrim-throng;
Yet learn we in our low estate
The Church's triumph song.

Worthy the Lamb for sinners slain,
Cry the redeemed above,
Blessing and honour to obtain,
And everlasting love.

Worthy the Lamb, on earth we sing,
Who died our souls to save;
Henceforth, O death, where is thy sting?
Thy victory, O grave?

Then, alleluia! Power and praise
To God in Christ be given!
May all who now this anthem raise
Renew the strain in heaven.

SECOND READING [Colossians 3:5-11]:

Put to death, therefore, whatever in you is earthly: fornication, impurity, passion, evil desire, and greed (which is idolatry). On account of these the wrath of God is coming on those who are disobedient. These are the ways you also once followed, when you were living that life. But now you must get rid of all such things—anger, wrath, malice, slander, and abusive language from your mouth. Do not lie to one another, seeing that you have stripped off the old self with its practices and have clothed yourselves with the new self, which is being renewed in knowledge according to the image of its creator. In that renewal there is no longer Greek and Jew, circumcised and uncircumcised, barbarian, Scythian, slave and free; but Christ is all and in all!

My brothers and sisters, let us offer our prayers to the Lord who keeps faith for ever.

We pray for the unity of Christian people: that together we may do God’s will and serve all God’s children.

We pray for the leaders of the nations: may they work together for peace and justice in the world, and for the protection of the environment we all share.

We pray for all those who are working for an end to the conflict in the troubled places of the world, especially in Afghanistan: may the work in which they are engaged lead to a just and lasting peace, and may those who have given their lives there rest in peace.

We pray for all those who have been killed or injured in the shootings at the army base of Fort Hood in the United States, and for their families: may they know the comfort of the Lord’s love.

We remember in our prayers on this Remembrance Sunday all those who have died in war: that they may rest in peace, and that their example and memory may inspire us to work for an end to warfare and violence in our world today.

Heavenly Father, we bring all our prayers to you through our great high priest, Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Eternal God,
you have taught us that the night is far spent
and the day is at hand:
Keep us awake and alert, watching for your kingdom,
so that when Christ, the bridegroom,
comes we may go out joyfully to meet him,
and with him enter into the marriage feast
that you have prepared for all who truly love you;
one God, now and forever.  Amen.

God beyond answers,
Lord beyond words,
Spirit beyond imagining,